[PGT] Blackhawks at Canucks

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

True, but a restock doesn't give them back players of their caliber...

It will likely be lesser players, and prospects/picks... So its a huge question mark, what happens next.

I believe, we have 2 windows... this year and next, and in 3 and onwards... But it depends on us holding on to the core players.

Yup. We have an elite core. The best in hockey. Keep them all and keep retooling. 

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

True, but a restock doesn't give them back players of their caliber...

It will likely be lesser players, and prospects/picks... So its a huge question mark, what happens next.

I believe, we have 2 windows... this year and next, and in 3 and onwards... But it depends on us holding on to the core players.

No, it doesn't, I agree, but it would set them up for a situation where they could have a steady flow of young players coming into the big club.  They'd probably have a downturn for a couple seasons.  That said, they'd also have a lot of cap space to work with

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd be okay giving up a 1st for a rental if it's the right one. It's a really late pick, you aren't getting a prospect like Willander/Lekkerimaki with it.

I agree on not trading Hogs/Podz. Hoglander is too important to the current roster imo & I'd rather deal Brzustewicz than Podkolzin.

Too early to trade Hunter, unless we are getting a very very good player with term or an RFA. 

He's making history right now. 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Agreed.  To me, Guentzel isn't needed if they are keeping the lotto line together for the rest of the season.  In that case, they need a 2C.

Penguins are still in the playoff race, if they are selling, I would rather trade for Crosby to be honest. The very best at making the wingers around him better players. Also his face-offs will be big for this team in a playoff series. 

As for Hoglander, I hope the team signs him to a medium-term deal this off-season if he's interested. He is going to start putting up better numbers once he gets on that 2nd line and his time on the ice goes up. It could be as early as this season or next season. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Rekker said:

I don't think so. Teams have too much space playing the Leafs. It's not natural for most of their top players so it's constantly something they need to think about. They can be better for times, but then fall back to their old habits. Coaches keep trying but tough to break old habits and for some players, it's hardly in their skill set, or not physically able.

I was not impressed with Leafs defensive display against the Canucks, and in particular Nylander trying to hide instead of trying to block the 3 goal for Canucks... 

I would fancy Canucks to take a series against Leafs 4-1 or 4-2, but un fortunately that isn't going to happen...

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No, it doesn't, I agree, but it would set them up for a situation where they could have a steady flow of young players coming into the big club.  They'd probably have a downturn for a couple seasons.  That said, they'd also have a lot of cap space to work with

Yep, thing is though, its hard to predict the future of talents, as well as how well new players would work as a team, hence when you've found gold, you strike... 

I agree however, I am none too interested in selling, what we hope is going to be our 2 top players in the future (Lekkerimaki and Willander)... We are still having to operate within the cap, and need as close to sure things as we can get for that...

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We'll absolutely need our young prospects at the right time to transition to our next core. I wouldn't sell the future in Will, DPetie. Lucky, Brzz

I actually think Brz is a viable chip to add to a deal.........he might hit, but this also.might be the most value he ever has.  It would depend on the deal. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed and that's a big reason I only want to see them tweak this year.  They need Podz, Bains, Karlsson, hogz, lek, willander and dpetey to be able to step in when they're ready, so they can trade players when they get too expensive

And Raty, maybe even Sasson.

I was just listening to the interview with Iain McIntyre...

He wants them to go all in, and I can understand that. However, what if they fall flat on their faces? what are they going to supplement the team with next season, or even worse, once the next contracts hits, who are going to fill the spaces...

The press are the first to slaughter the team, when they are not doing well, button they want to sell everything for a run?...

With Cap issues coming up, if they make a move, it should be for 'cheap' rental, or a player with a good contract, they can fit into the team for years ahead...

I'll use the first, and a few depth players, but I'd be weary of letting players like Kuz leave, unless Tocchet has given up on him, which I don't think is the case... (could be show casing him, but doubt it)... So there will be the big issue of cap space... not an easy job to improve this team...

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He wants them to go all in, and I can understand that. However, what if they fall flat on their faces? what are they going to supplement the team with next season, or even worse, once the next contracts hits, who are going to fill the spaces...

The press are the first to slaughter the team, when they are not doing well, button they want to sell everything for a run?...

With Cap issues coming up, if they make a move, it should be for 'cheap' rental, or a player with a good contract, they can fit into the team for years ahead...

I'll use the first, and a few depth players, but I'd be weary of letting players like Kuz leave, unless Tocchet has given up on him, which I don't think is the case... (could be show casing him, but doubt it)... So there will be the big issue of cap space... not an easy job to improve this team...

I feel exactly the same and the chance of them actually winning the cil on their first shot is very very low.  For me, it's all about the long game, not a one and done

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I feel exactly the same and the chance of them actually winning the cil on their first shot is very very low.  For me, it's all about the long game, not a one and done

Let's just say, I trust Allvin and JR to know, what needs to be done. They've  (JR at least) have been around the block a few years, and they know better than any of us, what we have in our prospects, and how they are going to manage the cap going forward...

Time will tell

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Given JR signed for 3 yrs, we can guess how far down they want to be competitive. 

I had said playoffs in 1 yr, cup in 3 at the beginning of the pre season.   Can they win the cup this yr? It has become increasingly likely as the season proceeded.  JR publically said the team is further ahead than expected.   The question is how aggressive they want to do it for this yr, as they have all the nice prospects on the pipeline for the next 2-3 yrs.  

It will be fun to watch.  I think it's safe to say they are not standing still by TDL.  This management is aggressive and makes the moves that they see fit.  In JR/PA we trust.  

• Cheers 2

No, I don't think so

I don't think he'll be sent down then... he will be involved in a trade, if they can't find a place for him on the team...

They are not giving away a C for free, who has just started to break through...

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Given JR signed for 3 yrs, we can guess how far down they want to be competitive. 

I had said playoffs in 1 yr, cup in 3 at the beginning of the pre season.   Can they win the cup this yr? It has become increasingly likely as the season proceeded.  JR publically said the team is further ahead than expected.   The question is how aggressive they want to do it for this yr, as they have all the nice prospects on the pipeline for the next 2-3 yrs.  

It will be fun to watch.  I think it's safe to say they are not standing still by TDL.  This management is aggressive and makes the moves that they see fit.  In JR/PA we trust.  

Agree.... Do not think the 3 years is anything to go by... FA was willing to give JR the keys to the club for as long as wants, so sounded more like a rolling contract... And he definitely earned this as the President... The way he has turned this club around from top to bottom is astonishing to be honest.

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I don't think he'll be sent down then... he will be involved in a trade, if they can't find a place for him on the team...

They are not giving away a C for free, who has just started to break through...

They'd be crazy to move a C at this point, ino, and aman is playing very well

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Agree.... Do not think the 3 years is anything to go by... FA was willing to give JR the keys to the club for as long as wants, so sounded more like a rolling contract... And he definitely earned this as the President... The way he has turned this club around from top to bottom is astonishing to be honest.

I don't think so as he had an intact core of elite players to work with, as well as some solid supporting pieces

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Absolutely they could, but the chances for a team in a first run through is pretty small.  I, personally, wouldn't be gambling the future on it

17 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Agreed. I dont think buying high is worth it unless the player(s) have term.  Going to be interesting to see how PA threads it.  You know other teams are going to jeep the price given where the Canucks are in the standings.  Hopefully they can find an impact player that doesnt have the most sexy name.

• ThereItIs 1