[PGT] Blackhawks at Canucks

15 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think so as he had an intact core of elite players to work with, as well as some solid supporting pieces

The club is operating at a total different level, than it was under Benning, and I wasn't even a Benning hater...

The way they have found the pieces needed, and cheap supporting cast that plays well above their pay grade is amazing...

Benning drafted well (I don't care what others say, but the core was drafted during his shift) so he was responsible for that. But bar Miller, his pro scouting team did poorly, and he did over pay for players that just didn't live up to expectation...

This is not the case with this group... I am in awe tbh... long may it last.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Given JR signed for 3 yrs, we can guess how far down they want to be competitive. 

I had said playoffs in 1 yr, cup in 3 at the beginning of the pre season.   Can they win the cup this yr? It has become increasingly likely as the season proceeded.  JR publically said the team is further ahead than expected.   The question is how aggressive they want to do it for this yr, as they have all the nice prospects on the pipeline for the next 2-3 yrs.  

It will be fun to watch.  I think it's safe to say they are not standing still by TDL.  This management is aggressive and makes the moves that they see fit.  In JR/PA we trust.  

That's exactly what I said at the start of this season; playoffs this year, offchance of a cup run in 24/25, and the cup in 25/26. The difference for me is the excellence in strengthening our D, the improvement to our bottom 6, and coaching.  We have a number of very good potentials in Abbotsford, and we have some great draft picks in the pipeline. With all this, the management team has created their own dilemma; how to keep this all together within the cap constraints. It's beyond my capabilities to see how they might do that, but the wisdom they've so far exhibited suggests they will.  I now think it's playoffs (deep) this year and a run for the cup in 24/25. It's a fun time to be a Canuck fan.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KFAN said:

That's exactly what I said at the start of this season; playoffs this year, offchance of a cup run in 24/25, and the cup in 25/26. The difference for me is the excellence in strengthening our D, the improvement to our bottom 6, and coaching.  We have a number of very good potentials in Abbotsford, and we have some great draft picks in the pipeline. With all this, the management team has created their own dilemma; how to keep this all together within the cap constraints. It's beyond my capabilities to see how they might do that, but the wisdom they've so far exhibited suggests they will.  I now think it's playoffs (deep) this year and a run for the cup in 24/25. It's a fun time to be a Canuck fan.

They are sharp as knives in the management groups.... This is where they earn their keep....

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, spook007 said:

They are sharp as knives in the management groups.... This is where they earn their keep....

It's exciting just to anticipate what moves they will make prior to TDL.  

This management is very well run.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Let's just say, I trust Allvin and JR to know, what needs to be done. They've  (JR at least) have been around the block a few years, and they know better than any of us, what we have in our prospects, and how they are going to manage the cap going forward...

Time will tell

For sure, at least Alvin and JR know alot more than Ian mcintire. Anyone ever notice his questions to players are always negative? Hate that guy. Love love the positive Petterson chick.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Quinn Hughes Puck Possession 

So to break it down into tiers there is the first line

1st tier Quinn Hughes 54:27

there is no second tier - Nobody in the 40s

The 3rd tier

Holy shit. I'll say that again, Holy shit.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

The club is operating at a total different level, than it was under Benning, and I was even a Benning hater...

The way they have found the pieces needed, and cheap supporting cast that plays well above their pay grade is amazing...

Benning drafted well (I don't care what others say, but the core was drafted during his shift) so he was responsible for that. But bar Miller, his pro scouting team did poorly, and he did over pay for players that just didn't live up to expectation...

This is not the case with this group... I am in awe tbh... long may it last.

I don't disagree at all, but they also didn't have to worry aboutnuilding a core/foundation to build upon. I don't think either is better or wrose, just different parts of the same process.  JB's time can't be seen as successful without PA putting the rest of it in place and PA couldn't be successful without JB building something from absolutely nothing.

What I desperately want to avoid is a MIke Gillis situation, where he goes so all in that it takes a decade to recover

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That's insane tho. And he's a plus 35. And he kills penalties.

When can we say generational? When he repeats this? Wins a cup?

Old Alf is lucky enough to see Orr, and Harvey play. I know most here saw Lidstrom. No D many since these greats has controlled the game like Hughes. Coffee was great at carrying the puck up the ice, which is just like Makar. Bourque was kind of like Potvin, minus the playoff success. But we haven’t seen a D man control the game like Hughes since the three guys I previously mentioned. Orr, Harvey, Lidstrom. These are guys who lead their clubs to multiple Cups. And he’s ours! 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Old Alf is lucky enough to see Orr, and Harvey play. I know most here saw Lidstrom. No D many since these greats has controlled the game like Hughes. Coffee was great at carrying the puck up the ice, which is just like Makar. Bourque was kind of like Potvin, minus the playoff success. But we haven’t seen a D man control the game like Hughes since the three guys I previously mentioned. Orr, Harvey, Lidstrom. These are guys who lead their clubs to multiple Cups. And he’s ours! 

I wonder if we won't really appreciate it until it's gone.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I feel exactly the same and the chance of them actually winning the cil on their first shot is very very low.  For me, it's all about the long game, not a one and done

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Too early to trade Hunter, unless we are getting a very very good player with term or an RFA. 

He's making history right now. 

Canucks have Demko under contract for this season + 2 more. Theres a decent timeframe.

The point of keeping Hogs/Podz over players like Brz is they are ready to help us during this window. I also agree Brz is still a project & his value could be at a high (Madden anyone?)

Anyways, I agree look for some term. Pavel Buchnevich is a guy that would be a great add, and it would nearly be a straight swap of $$$ if you moved Kuz in the deal.

• ThereItIs 1

54 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If (when) QH wins the Norris, then he would be the first Nux to do it.  That would solidify him as the top Nux D man of all time.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think fans who played and truly understand the game know just how special Quinn is. He is a very rare player who comes around only once every 30 years or so. Snd we have him! 

• Huggy Bear 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think fans who played and truly understand the game know just how special Quinn is. He is a very rare player who comes around only once every 30 years or so. Snd we have him! 

Was watching the highlights of last night and just marvelled at how Quinn just owned the zone before his goal.

• Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The point of keeping Hogs/Podz over players like Brz is they are ready to help us during this window. I also agree Brz is still a project & his value could be at a high (Madden anyone?)

I don't think that's a fair comparison for Hunter, but I understand where you are going with this. 

I thought it was a big mistake when it was reported that we turned down Rathbone and a 2nd for Marino. Accurate reporting or not, Rathbone should have been traded much earlier especially if there was no spot for him on the team. Best interest in the team and for Rathbone. 

Jason Bukata's piece today speculates on a couple of Trade targets (for Canucks) and the price to acquire them:

*** Note: according to CapFriendly Sean Monahan's remaining Daily Cap Hit is Tooltip : $889,115 

1)   To Vancouver: Adam Henrique (expiring contract paying $5.85M AAV)

To Anaheim: Andrei Kuzmenko and one of Vancouver’s fourth-round picks in 2024

*Note: Vancouver also retains $800,000 of Kuzmenko's cap.

Other factors to consider in this potential trade is that Kuzmenko has a 12-team no-trade list in his contract, while Henrique has a 10-team no-trade list.

2.) To Vancouver: Sean Monahan

To Montreal: Aatu Raty, a fourth-round pick in 2024 (via New Jersey) and Vancouver's sixth-round pick in 2024

*Note: Montreal retains $900,000 of Monahan's cap hit

6 hours ago, Strawbone said:

If the Oilers catch the Canucks, I will eat my hat. The new Canucks baseball cap that I just got for Xmas even, and I love that thing.

Having said that, a little back-of-a-napkin math... If the Canucks conservatively play .600 the rest of the way (below their current pace), they end up with 110 points.
The Oilers would need 58 more points to pass us, so 29 wins in their last 40 games. I guess it's possible, but the Oilers have a way heavier schedule than us the rest of the way. If they accomplish that, it'll be one of the greatest regular season runs in history.

Let's see the hat

5 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Based on what we're working with now, I'd rather have Cole with Myers. 

Zadorov/Juulsen. 

Yup, that Zadorov Myers pairing is dicey. They are both huge but both prone to poor decisions and mobility issues when they are not skating with the puck. I totally agree.

• Cheers 1