[PGT] Blackhawks at Canucks

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As good as Suter is in the defensive parts of the game if he buried pucks too we wouldn’t have been able to sign him for 1.6 x 2.  The guy is a really good player. Great pickup. 

That's true. If he were to bury his offensive chances, he's probably asking for far more than the 1.6M that we signed him to. I don't think he's going to cost that much more to be honest to resign in a few years once his contract is up, if indeed we want to resign him at that time. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That's true. If he were to bury his offensive chances, he's probably asking for far more than the 1.6M that we signed him to. I don't think he's going to cost that much more to be honest to resign in a few years once his contract is up, if indeed we want to resign him at that time. 

On the other hand a guy like Joshua is likely going to get a lot more this summer because he is burying his chances. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Fair enough. But... 

Just goes to show any GM can screw up on picks. It's not always guaranteed, like some seem to think. 

You see a lot fewer whiffs these days. Players are identified as special in their early teens and start being scouted and receiving offers from travelling teams, like the teams that Kesler and Juice are associated with that Juice talked about on the weekend 32 thoughts podcast. At that age they start getting special coaching and training for skating, hockey skills, hand/eye, etc. The scouts for CHL and College teams start to see them at regional tournaments and take note when they reach 14-15. There is a pretty thick book on most of these kids by time they reach 16, with multiple scouting services each having a take. The outliers are the late bloomers, like Petey, who fly under the radar due to their size, like the kid that hits puberty late, grows six inches one year, and can all of a sudden compete size and strength wise, or in Petey's case, hand/eye and IQwise. Look back at how terrible Canuck drafting was before Benning arrived. There were years where not one pick played a single NHL game, including years where we had a first round pick. The fact that our team tonight dressed five players that were drafted and developed by the Canucks is not common in the history of this team. Off the top of my head the only comparable time was the President's cup years when the team iced eight draft picks, which in the cap era is how you build a team with a larger cup window. The fact that tonights L3 has Garland and Joshua, both 5th rounders and L4 has Aman drafted in the 6th and Lafferty taken in the 4th also shows how far scouting and (7 skaters tonight who were drafted without previously playing in North America) international scouting have come.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

On the other hand a guy like Joshua is likely going to get a lot more this summer because he is burying his chances. 

IMO Joshua is getting 3-3.5 million on a 5 year deal from someone this summer. Guy has been unreal this year.

9 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

8d9ix8.jpg

now that i look at the pic.. is it just me or is garland's body disproportionate? i know he's tiny.. but he looks kinda weird on tv.. and this picture is what i meant.. like his upper body from the waist up looks normal.. but his legs are really really short??

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Quick comments.

1. My favorite part of the game was Kuzy in the last minute defending a 2-goal lead with the other team's goalie pulled. And he played well in that role and had a great game overall. He got two assists and could have had two more if Suter was a better finisher. In that NHL StatCards he was top of the charts for the Canucks, and he was good on all the metrics including an 18-6 advantage in Corsi.

2 Mikheyev also had a good game. Both those guys have been criticized by some people on CFF but, as I have mentioned a few times, they have been playing well and have been unlucky not to score. Tonight they finally got on the board and provided the winning margin. Once again, that line gave up very little defensively. Look for them to be very valuable in the last part of the season.

3. Demko had another excellent game. I liked Tocchet's decision to start Demmer. Among other things it reminded the team to take this game seriously. And Demko was crucial for the win.

4. The Canucks dominated the first period but Chicago played them at least even in the last two periods and may have been the better team. Of course, it is not a shock to see the Canucks take the early lead and then lay back a bit and focus on sound defensive play. It never really felt like the game was in danger.

5. The Lotto line had a quiet game, which is ok. You can't be up for every game and it was great to see the Suter line and the Aman line picking up the slack.

6. Juulsen came back in for Soucy and played well. Interesting to see Hughes and Myers play together and even more interesting to see Hronek with Z.  Obviously Hronek's numbers this year have been inflated by playing with Hughes. He will be looking for a big payday (he is an RFA at the end of the season) and it is important to see how good he is without Hughes. He was good tonight but Chicago is not a tough test.

Just two more games before the all-star break. Would be great go in on a winning streak.

All spot-on. I thought Hronek had a rough game, it's funny how much playing with QH covers his mistakes, or at least makes him more confident. 

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was a bit boring of a game but we still got the win which matters.

Kuz showed why he is still part of the team and seems he might just start producing again.

Bet other GM's were low balling Alvin trying to steal him away.

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

I think at this point you go and get a 2C who can elevate both Kuzmenko and Mikheyev. Suter's done a fine job in that role as a fill in but he's not a long term solution there. 

Either that or we get a winger and split EP and Miller so we have two scoring lines.

Would be cheaper then a legit 2C.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

A very workmen like victory tonight - The Hawks were missing so many regulars - they actually looked pretty competitive and is one of the teams that may beat you if you underestimate them, especially in their barn.

Demko looked solid in both his positioning and rebound control and kudos for the shutout tonight.  For the most part, I found this contest to be more conservative than usual - neither team wanting to give up too many chances.

I remember RT talked earlier this year about playing in the moment - taking what is given and not to force something that is not there - the Hawks at times, seem to be populating the middle, looking for fast breaks -  perhaps the Canucks were more defensive conscious after the second goal, not wanting a repeat of the Leaf game.

Overall, very happy with the victory - and glad to see Kuz get some contributions. - he's a happy go lucky guy who just loves hockey so hopefully some better play on the horizon for him. 

Just Win.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

Rest the stars and see how the depth does in more important situations 

example Kuzmenko out with the empty net

this is one thing I really like about Tocchets long term strategy 

I think it's also throwing Kuz a bone. 

Rewarding playing good systems with energy. I loved that he threw that line out to defend the shut out. I also liked that the line played safe and didn't make any risky plays to try scoring a shorty. Just sound defence. 

• Cheers 1

It was a highly emotional game vs the Leafs Saturday night. Team was drained. 

But they got a solid defensive practice game in against an injury plagued bottom feeder team. 

Can't go 100 mph every game. Teams conserve energy when they get the opportunity against easy competition.. it's a very long and grueling season. When you get the chance to win without exerting too much energy you do it...

Solid win. Demko got league leading 5th shut out of season. Happy with the results.. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1