Hughes...

His on ice achievements are obvious.  He's the greatest defenceman this franchise has ever seen.  He's giving off the same vibes as when the Canucks finally had their first full tilt superstar in Bure.  This is our first 100% superstar franchise level defenceman.

However, with all that said, what is truly amazing is how he has taken the bulls by the horn when it comes to his captaincy.  He has totally become the leader of this team.  So well spoken, so humble, and simply commands respect with his determination and work ethic.

No disrespect to Horvat or Nazzy, but Quinn is probably the best Captain we've had since Linden.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

We're witnessing our first ever Norris winner. He's unbelievable. I'd say generational, as dmen like him and Makar only come once in a generation (somehow this generation has two). I was going to get a Petey black skate jersey for my 40th last year but held off because I don't know if he's going to be around long term. I'm glad that I held off, because I'm getting a Hughes jersey this April. Favourite Canucks player of all time, already, and his jersey will be retired in the rafters one day.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, canuck73 said:

Are you kidding me?

What are we witnessing?

12 g 45a 57p +35 in 47 gp

That is a great result in a full year

And we have 35 games to go...

Hughes is on pace for 98 points +61

What a progression

What are we witnessing?

Dominating puck possesion

If we don't go all in now...

...we'll never never never know 

Ooooh 

I'd first heard rumblings of this Quinn Hughes kid roughly one year before he was draft-eligible. Actually, one of the first names I'd even heard for the 2018 class.

Obviously there was very limited footage of him at that stage, but from what I'd seen I was wildly impressed.

I remember watching the draft, almost late for my own beer league game waiting for our pick. Hearing the Red Wings say Zadina, and literally jumping for joy.

Get to the rink, and asking if anybody in the locker room watched the draft.

"Nah, who'd we get? Any good?"

Yeah, only the franchise defining defenseman we've been waiting for.

I can't say I thought he'd be this good, this quickly. But he was always this player.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Not only that....the WAY in which he plays the game. His silky smooth agility is outstanding. He is so calm with the puck yet pulls moves to blow around guys like they're standing still. Keeps the puck on his stick like it's glued there.

He's taking on a bit of JT demeanour and is all business. Even after he scores, there's no celebration or smiles....it's very much a "we haven't finished the game yet" mindset. 

He's amazing.

Always making everything about J.T.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, canuck73 said:

Are you kidding me?

What are we witnessing?

12 g 45a 57p +35 in 47 gp

That is a great result in a full year

And we have 35 games to go...

Hughes is on pace for 98 points +61

What a progression

What are we witnessing?

Dominating puck possesion

If we don't go all in now...

You should do one of these for Miller and another for EP40 and yet another for Demko and well your at it another for the 3rd line and I guess don't forget Boeser, and 1 more for Myers transformation.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

His on ice achievements are obvious.  He's the greatest defenceman this franchise has ever seen.  He's giving off the same vibes as when the Canucks finally had their first full tilt superstar in Bure.  This is our first 100% superstar franchise level defenceman.

However, with all that said, what is truly amazing is how he has taken the bulls by the horn when it comes to his captaincy.  He has totally become the leader of this team.  So well spoken, so humble, and simply commands respect with his determination and work ethic.

No disrespect to Horvat or Nazzy, but Quinn is probably the best Captain we've had since Linden.

I thought naming him captain was just another huge mistake in a long line of mistakes done by this team but I agree with you and he may even probably will become our best captain ever.

• Cheers 1

On 1/23/2024 at 9:15 AM, Jester13 said:

We're witnessing our first ever Norris winner. He's unbelievable. I'd say generational, as dmen like him and Makar only come once in a generation (somehow this generation has two). I was going to get a Petey black skate jersey for my 40th last year but held off because I don't know if he's going to be around long term. I'm glad that I held off, because I'm getting a Hughes jersey this April. Favourite Canucks player of all time, already, and his jersey will be retired in the rafters one day.

I would keep in mind that Coffey and Bourque overlapped each other almost entirely and almost entirely overlapped Housley, MacInnis, Chelios, Larry Murphy and others as well, while also substantially overlapping Denis Potvin for the first portion of their careers and Lidstrom and Leetch for the later portion.  And largely overlapping Doug Wilson, Randy Carlyle, Rod Langway.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I would keep in mind that Coffey and Bourque overlapped each other almost entirely and almost entirely overlapped Housley, MacInnis, Chelios, Larry Murphy, Chris Chelios and others as well, while also substantially overlapping Denis Potvin for the first portion of their careers and Lidstrom and Leetch for the later portion.

K, yeah, good point. That generation of dmen was nuts. 

27 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

K, yeah, good point. That generation of dmen was nuts. 

We're getting there again with several overlapping the older guys...

Current: Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen, Fox, Dahlin, Dobson

Older: Hedman, Josi, Karlsson, Doughty, Letang, Carlsson

Gone, but dominant this past decade: Keith, Chara, Burns, Weber

Probably missed one here or there...

9 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I would keep in mind that Coffey and Bourque overlapped each other almost entirely and almost entirely overlapped Housley, MacInnis, Chelios, Larry Murphy, Chris Chelios and others as well, while also substantially overlapping Denis Potvin for the first portion of their careers and Lidstrom and Leetch for the later portion.

It's nice to finally get another player or two like them... Isn't it?   Chelios almost single handedly, ruined our 95 run after 94, same team more or less ... it wasn't fun.    It's been a very, very long time, since we've had some D's come in and do what they are doing, at or near the start of their careers.   Borque was mentored by Park too.     Best i've seen, since Lidstrom and Niedermayer ... Weber was pretty close to Pronger, minus the cross-check your teeth out nasty.    Just nice to see it back again. 

Edited by IBatch

On 1/23/2024 at 8:55 AM, HKSR said:

Henrik Sedin...?

• ThereItIs 2

9 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Henrik Sedin...?

Yep best Captain since Linden.    Naslund was so bad at media.   Jovo was who I hoped we'd choose.    Mr Monotone.   Win or lose.     Took some time for me to get into Hank, but won me over.   Horvat did his job, but was always a placeholder.   Would have preferred Schenn or Miller for sure, but they just couldn't wait a couple seasons.   Horvat just felt like "he's the best young player" so went with him, and the team acted like him.   After whistles.   Only player with any passion or protect in his veins was Beagle at the start!   Can't wait to forget about that era.    Was the worst because it lasted too long.    Not to pick on Horvat either, not his fault he was the only option really.    QHs is the real deal.   He won me over.     Free the Skate now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2