Our biggest possible subtraction next season...

Coryberg

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Bains, Karlsson and podz are ready for NHL duty.........whether it's in van or not remains to be seen.  I might throw woo in there as well 

PA has said as much, he knows we will lose some players but thinks we have young players to take those spots.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

PA has said as much, he knows we will lose some players but thinks we have young players to take those spots.

All three are solid 200 ft players who can play in all situations.  

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Bains, Karlsson and podz are ready for NHL duty.........whether it's in van or not remains to be seen.  I might throw woo in there as well 

Wouldn't surprise me, they they could probably at least be third or fourth liners. Maybe not all of them, but maybe one or two. 

7 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

The model would be taking a talented team that is underperforming, improving the backend and introducing structure. There is never a shortage of underperformed teams in the NHL, those also happen to be the teams who are looking for new coaches.

I just don't see that as a model, but we're probably arguing semantics. Every team in the league wants to improve it's roster and it's obvious to any Canucks fan who's watched the two seasons prior to this one that our defense needed a boost. Management brought in some D to do just that and tried to integrate a coaching staff who could put the puzzle pieces together, that's not revolutionary, if anything it just speaks to how inept the previous regime was. 

Some of the credit also has to be laid at the feet of the players, not just management and the coaching staff. Demko looks better because he has been better, because he's put in the work. Hughes also put in the work to improve his game and he's transformed into this team's most important player in doing so. Pettersson put in the work and gambled on himself, Boeser has been able to bounce back and reach new heights. Miller's reeled in his temper and is less frequently caught making the boneheaded mistakes he was making last season. 

Depth guys have stepped up and mitigated Kuzmenko and Mikheyev being disappointing offensively, gotta credit their hard work.  

Edited by Coconuts

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't surprise me, they they could probably at least be third or fourth liners. Maybe not all of them, but maybe one or two. 

The trick would be knowing who they could replace without changing the character and style of the team.as it is now.

I think podz could replace Lafferty, as could karlsson.  Though not as fast, both players are physical and both have a better offensive flair, imo.  Karlsson is also a surprisingly good pest and really gets under the skin of the opposition.

Bains is a little different because he's so cerebral, maybe one of the smartest hockey brains in the org.  He's a great two way player, but doesn't have much physicality to his game.  I'd say he'd fit in well with blueger and garland if DJ is too expensive to bring back, but it'd be tough to lose that physical aspect.  however, that'd be three very smart players on the same line and though not overly physical, none afraid to go to dirty areas.

I could also see Bains taking over Mik's spot and if they got a good C, I think they'd be a deadly line.  I'd love to see what Bains could do for Kuz.

Hogz, imo, doesn't have a replacement with the skill set he brings to the table.  If they move Petey back to C for next season, I expect hogz to be on his wing.

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Hero11 said:

If Kuzmenko isn't the cap dump then how about Mikheyev? He is good on the PK but does bring much else to the table. Maybe his cap is what we should ne shedding. 

As I said right below you, I think bains with kuz could be a great combo.  Bains is insanely smart and highly skilled.......they seem like they be a good fit.  But they'd need a legit C.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

The trick would be knowing who they could replace without changing the character and style of the team.as it is now.

I think podz could replace Lafferty, as could karlsson.  Though not as fast, both players are physical and both have a better offensive flair, imo.  Karlsson is also a surprisingly good pest and really gets under the skin of the opposition.

Bains is a little different because he's so cerebral, maybe one of the smartest hockey brains in the org.  He's a great two way player, but doesn't have much physicality to his game.  I'd say he'd fit in well with blueger and garland if DJ is too expensive to bring back, but it'd be tough to lose that physical aspect.  however, that'd be three very smart players on the same line and though not overly physical, none afraid to go to dirty areas.

I could also see Bains taking over Mik's spot and if they got a good C, I think they'd be a deadly line.  I'd love to see what Bains could do for Kuz.

Hogz, imo, doesn't have a replacement with the skill set he brings to the table.  If they move Petey back to C for next season, I expect hogz to be on his wing.

Agreed, I don't see any of these takes being unreasonable 

I'd expect a learning curve though, so maybe we're still good but maybe a team that wins less

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, I don't see any of these takes being unreasonable 

I'd expect a learning curve though, so maybe we're still good but maybe a team that wins less

In the short term, there'd be a regression, I agree.  But all three of those guys are pretty experience and polished by now.  They'd move in pretty seamlessly I think......the regression would come in just adjusting to a slightly different style and gaining familiarity on those lines

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

In the short term, there'd be a regression, I agree.  But all three of those guys are pretty experience and polished by now.  They'd move in pretty seamlessly I think......the regression would come in just adjusting to a slightly different style and gaining familiarity on those lines

None of them should break the bank either, in part because of when their deals expire

Podz is an RFA this coming season, hasn't done enough to warrant much of a raise 

Raty and Bains will be pending RFA's after next season, unless they set the world on fire as Canucks next season it seems unlikely either will have much leverage when it comes to renegotiating either 

All should get modest raises, but nothing that should affect the Canucks cap structure all that much  

Me ufa's is the biggy.

Plus EP and Hronek contracts.

Who might come up to take spots on cheaper contracts for the next few years till the oel buyout doesn't hurt us.

Those are the main issues we know.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few trades and couple surprises making the team next year.

The draft anything can happen so this team will look different but by how much?

We can expect changes for sure next season. How dramatic they'll be depends on our on ice performance in the playoffs. That's not to say that we wouldn't want all our pending UFA's back. After the success we've garnered thus far, and probable continued success the rest of the season and playoffs with this lineup. Why wouldn't we want  'em back. But alas......It's cap era hockey and some have got to go......Aroo.

Realistically speaking, with JR extended and PA and RT soon to be; it's apparent to me that come hell or high water, the goal is Lord Stanley's Cup. In the event that it doesn't come to fruition today, we'll have a few tomorrows to make it so. I'm confident that this coaching and management regime can get the job done. 

Our young guns in Bains, Karlsson and Podz stepping in roster spots next season is a must; Woo being the only D-man that has a chance too. Shoring a spot on the big clubs roster for these guys would give us some extra cash to re-sign some of the pending UFA's and get other options to further strengthen our lineup. 

The young guns will no doubt experience growing pains, but with our HOF coaching staff, they'll be nurtured the right way. It worked for Hogz and Juulsen. No reason for me to think RT and the gang  wouldn't have an affect on the young guns. 

There is a real positive aspect prevalent with us that may assist in signings; a real, strong contention for a Stanley Cup. Could we possibly sign the likes of Daks, Zads, Blueger, Chaos and DeSmith to team friendly extensions? Probably the same can't be said with Petey and Hronek, but?!?!?!?!???

I'm of the ilk that our situation regarding a 2nd line centre, a game breaker power forward, and another significant D-man be adds most needed. Those positions hopefully be filled by TDL.................... NO RENTALS PLEASE!

And, we've got a whole next off season to make thing better too. 

I love this team. My hope is at an all time high.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stawns said:

Just to play devil's advocate, would anyone sell high on Boeser?  Obviously his offensive resurgence has been great, but he's still not overly noticeable when he's not scoring and even the scoring has cooled off a bit.  Further to that, once he's hit 30 or even 40, hes going to be unaffordable to bring back when his current deal is up

Its going to happen soon... Kuz or Boeser... $ matter... and unless Lekkerimaki is traded, we need room for him in the line up.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its going to happen soon... Kuz or Boeser... $ matter... and unless Lekkerimaki is traded, we need room for him in the line up.

Bess is a core piece and he’s really playing great this season. The return for him would need to be extra special good. IMHAO we don’t move any guys from the roster until summer. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Bess is a core piece and he’s really playing great this season. The return for him would need to be extra special good. IMHAO we don’t move any guys from the roster until summer. 

yes this is the joy of this season...

Next season is when reality is going to hit home... Team needs to find Hornets and Peteys increases, + $5M for OEL... Big players will leave. Only questions is when and who...

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

yes this is the joy of this season...

Next season is when reality is going to hit home... Team needs to find Hornets and Peteys increases, + $5M for OEL... Big players will leave. Only questions is when and who...

I think the OELevator buyout is 2.3 next season? It’s not until the 25/26 season when it jumps to 4.7? Willander will be here on his elc during the two high cost buyout seasons, no? 

Edited by Alflives

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think the OELevator buyout is 2.3 next season? It’s not until the 25/26 season when it jumps to 4.7? Willander will be here on his elc during the two high cost buyout seasons, no? 

That is true, hence next season is when the decisions need to made, either during or at the end of next season.

21 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Obviously with the team and players coming together and having career seasons we are bound to have collateral damage for next season. We are well aware the list is a long one with almost a 3rd of our team (Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty, Cole, Myers, Zadorov and Desmith) heading towards UFA status. Obviously with Petey and Hronek's deals there isn't enough money for the lot of them and painful decisions will have to be made.

These things are the byproduct of having a great team in a salary cap environment. In that sense I think most of us have reserved ourselves to the fact it is going to happen. It's actually quite surreal to be a canucks fan with something to lose, besides the games that we became used to over the past 10 years.

There is of course another shoe that can and most certainly will at some point whether it be this off-season or next. This shoe has the potential to kick harder than an aging defenseman, a savvy backup or a quality grinder.

The proverbial shoe would be our rock star assistant coach Adam Foote. With Tocchet being a "shoe" in to be top 3 (if not win) the Jack Adams the spotlight will be on the vancouver model. What better way for a struggling team to improve than to take the coaches right hand man of a team that was struggling mightily and improved dramatically. 

Footes fingerprints are all over the improved play of the entire canucks d-core who are in my opinion the biggest factor in our early season success. To me it not a question of if he becomes an NHL head coach but how soon.

The actual questions would be...

How replaceable do you think he would be?

Could Gonchar take the reigns full time and keep the ball rolling? Do you feel Tocchet is the straw that stirs the drink and losing an assistant won't be a major issue? Maybe you think he isn't ready for a head coaching position yet?

You need to read up on Foote and Tochetts relationship, and why Foote was called in the first place.   If you're worried about Foote leaving, that's not something to be concerned about.   

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You need to read up on Foote and Tochetts relationship, and why Foote was called in the first place.   If you're worried about Foote leaving, that's not something to be concerned about.   

I'm not about to go down a google rabbit hole. Can you elaborate? Did he say he's only coaching to be near Tocchet? Maybe that he never wants to be a head coach? Does Tocchet have embarrassing pictures of him?

Spill the tea.

13 hours ago, Sativika said:

I'm of the ilk that our situation regarding a 2nd line centre, a game breaker power forward, and another significant D-man be adds most needed. Those positions hopefully be filled by TDL.................... NO RENTALS PLEASE!

You don't ask for much 😜

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

I'm not about to go down a google rabbit hole. Can you elaborate? Did he say he's only coaching to be near Tocchet? Maybe that he never wants to be a head coach? Does Tocchet have embarrassing pictures of him?

Spill the tea.

Does the Cal Foote situation splash on Coach Foote in woke sensitive Vancouver?  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

That is true, hence next season is when the decisions need to made, either during or at the end of next season.

The more I think ahead, the more I think Petey going on an offers sheet and we get 4 1sts is pretty sweet, Of course, this is after we win the cup...... when Petey is out of our price range anyway,,,

35 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Does the Cal Foote situation splash on Coach Foote in woke sensitive Vancouver?  

Cal aint on the list.... actually might be a cheap add to the team after all this washes over

I think they're well off being ready to be a head coach but maybe in a few year's time. My bigger worry would be losing our veteran defencemen Myers and Cole. As much as we want to rag on Myers, he's our 2nd best RD, plays 20+ minutes, kills penalties and is scoring at a 30-40 point clip with a healthy +/-.

We've got to be careful, don't want to be too much like the Leafs and sacrifice depth for star power. Petey will command 11M, Miller on 8M, Boeser on 6.6M and a bunch of 5M players. Hughes is on almost 8M, Hronek will deserve 7-8M, we're getting pretty full up there. We've got to have a lot of decent 3-4M middle-6 wingers and top-4 defencemen to round them out.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Spill the tea.

They are good friends.   Tochett has kept in touch since they stopped playing.  Calls him to ask advice, and also when watching playoff games.   They developed a relationship/friendship.   Foote is only coaching because of that.    These things matter.    They've been talking hockey on the side for years.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Big questions for this off-season, do Woo, McWard, Hirose take a step? I think McWard has the best chance to surprise unless Hirose puts on some muscle he clearly has the IQ.. than they're both about even odds to make the big club. Woo has to bring a big effort to sway me he seemed nervous in the preseason, bad penalty then a unlucky bounce then after that kinda settles down..I feel like our best Prospects on defence are abroad with Willander and D Petey. And they both need another year in U/ d Petey in Abby next year? 

I think with Soucy signed they re-up Zadorov and maybe go after Tanev for the right side 2 year deal both around 4.5 then maybe Julsen comes in to save huge money on him replacing Myers. I think Tanev over Cole makes sense as both would cost around the same and the need for a RD over a true LD, as well as Cole plays his off side.. I think letting Myers walk and Zadorov would make our D really small and weak again. Julsen has made huge strides this year and can eat mins and is a PK guy now, he makes that right side cheaper without sacrifices. Tanev Soucy Shut down pair till Willander And D Petey are ready for the NHL. Gives them a couple years to develop properly. Maybe we see a Dpetey - Hronek pair if a few years? With Willander And Hughes pairing?? 

Hughes 7.85 Hronek 7.75

Soucy 3.25  Tanev 4.25

Zadorov 4.0 Julsen .775

27.875 total

Alvin will have to be elbows deep in the bargain bin to find replacements for all the UFA guys. Blueger, Joshua will be looking for term and raises. I hope a guy like Bains could replace Joshua but hell that's expecting a lot now with how well Joshua has played. Maybe they move Garland in the summer? We are gonna need at least 1 ELC come in to the forward group the next season, with Podkolzin being the favorite. Raty would be the best if he went on a tear in Abby and works himself into the 3c role he can become. I don't see them finding a way to keep Blueger and Joshua though .. might see a complete (or close to it) new 3line. McDonough "could" make the team next year too he's got that NHL ready shot, and size. 

Hoglander 1.1  Miller 8  Boeser 6.65

Mikheyev 4.75 Petey RFA  Kuzmenko 5.5

Podkolzin RFA Blueger UFA   Bains .816

McDonough RFA Suter 1.6 Aman .883 

Total 29.299 plus Demko 5

34.299 + defense 27.875

Expected cap 87. 675

25.5 left apx for Petey, Hronek, Blueger, Podz, McDonough

Petey 12? 

Hronek 7.75?

Blueger 2.5? 

Podz 1.1 ? X 2 yr(same Hogz took) 

McD 1.1? 

This is far from exact and obviously just spitballing but could work. Still a solid D group and a very similar forward group with a few more ELC or low cost guys coming in. But that's gonna be the name of the game from here on, especially when Demkos next deal is due! 

• Vintage 1