[PGT] Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Wednesday, January 24th - 7pt/10et - SNP/650

8 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Hate to rag on Petey but he really does need to be stronger on his skates. If this was the playoffs they wouldn't even think about calling anything on that shove.

But it isn't the playoffs and there's no 3 on 3. EP has more than a pt a game in his only playoffs and it was yrs ago when he was just a starting.  

The team played a poor game overall.  Zadorov sucked in the third, Kuz a -2,  QH even fell trying to handle a puck and lead to a breakaway.   Hronek can't score on a OT breakaway.  They got a point in a game before a ASG.  They are on a 10 game point streak.  People are so dramatic.  Some crazy dude on radio last night wanted Nux to trade EP.  Such stupid takes. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KFAN said:

You may be right IBatch, but I think coaches always want their players to be performing at a high level. I just can't see them saying "okay we got this, you can slow the pace and coast a bit." It seems to me, from RTs comments and benchings that he doesn't like 1/2 effort at any time. Teams that do well in the playoffs have learned to put it all on the ice long before the playoffs start.

Recently, we've seen him reduce minutes and coast.   

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, He's earned the right, because of his performance and play this season. If the drought continues, though, Tocc probably has to sit him at some point. 

No he doesn't dude, Boeser has been totally fine. He is a two-way guy, he's not just a goal scorer.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

But it isn't the playoffs and there's no 3 on 3. EP has more than a pt a game in his only playoffs and it was yrs ago when he was just a starting.  

The team played a poor game overall.  Zadorov sucked in the third, Kuz a -2,  QH even fell trying to handle a puck and lead to a breakaway.   Hronek can't score on a OT breakaway.  They got a point in a game before a ASG.  They are on a 10 game point streak.  People are so dramatic.  Some crazy dude on radio last night wanted Nux to trade EP.  Such stupid takes. 

e8b505aa-3d6f-4f88-b381-bfb50c71e78b_tex

The debate about last night's non call seems to be pretty even  - Probably fine as long as they are consistent - in that case, the Canucks should be a bit more aggressive next time in OT since they seem to allow a bit more go (eg. throw out Hogs a bit more)  kind of like playoff hockey.which is not a bad thing.

Might as well get use to it now - call less - and find some solutions to dealing with it.  With RT's style of hockey team, you probably not want a referee calling 7+ penalties anyway during these intense battles which slows the game down.  Glad for the hard earned point in an exciting finish after it was looking pretty bleak midway through the third. 

Just Win.jpg

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Hronek is a top pairing Dman. Kicking Hronek downstairs and demanding another even bigger trade for the rarest position in hockey isn't remotely realistic.

Chris Tanev exists and would slot beside Hughes perfectly, so yes it is realistic. 

Well you take the good with the bad, with EP I think he's done great things this season.  But I think there are limits to his contract because of some performances this year. No disrespect to Petie. But not seeing 12-14M some people are clamoring for. Hopefully there's a reasonable number below that.

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agree with the first two bits, less so about Willander

I don't think he'll be a Canuck next season, and I think that's best given how young he is, and I don't expect him to be a 2-3 sooner than later

Which isn't a knock in him, I think he'll get there as he's a top notch young D, but I expect there'll be a learning curve and he was an 11OA pick

The Canucks don't need to rush him, in fact delaying his ELC would have his ELC aligning with both Demko and Hughes extensions

I'd rather him and Lekkerimaki stew and develop longer 

Yeah. Agreed. I do think that Willander may make it hard not to play him though. I've just got a feeling. That being said, the way the Canucks are developing their prospects is clearly working. Nice for the team to have more effective systems in place.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I think it's fair to criticize the team when they play bad, obviously some folks go way too far talking about trading people after one off game.

Edited by Mando27

2 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

I think it's fair to criticize the team when they play bad, obviously some folks go way too far talking about trading people after one off game.

Part of being a fan. Some do take it a little too far. Those folks need to get out more. 

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Reminds me of Crosby in his first couple of seasons, I think Petey will mature out of this and physically strengthen where he needs to in order to stay on his feet.

Dude isn't 22 anymore. He's 25, been in the show 6 years now. If he didn't bulk up by now it's safe to say he won't ever. Even Willander at 18 had enough awareness to know he needs to bulk up. And his 18 year old weight was already heavier than 25 year old Petey's weight. While being listed as 2 inches shorter than Petey. Petey is very likely at the weight he'll be playing his prime at. I don't see him getting any stronger physically unless he has an epiphany this offseason.

Everywhere I look this morning articles on Chris Tanev, I think something will go down prior to the DL. I see our 2024 1st and a B prospect (Woo, McWard) someone Right side going to Calgary for C Tanev 25-50% retained. Then the deadline move/s will be to tweak the top six. Probably Kuzzy + if he doesn't get back on track after the break, Id rather Kuzzy figure it out than paying for a rental like Guentzel. I really don't see Hoglander going anywhere if Calgary wants him +a 1st for Tanev they can get bent. Hoggy is awesome value// Cost, and a high grade (prospect) if you can still call him that. Still has top six ceiling obviously! 

• Cheers 1

To my surprise I thought IMac had some interesting things to day regarding Schenn on the post game show last night.  Schenn plays hard and that’s his reputation.  Seemed to imply that you have to expect a hard play from him.  Maybe Petey was tired on an extended shift and is on the lighter side at that.  To me that’s playoff intensity hockey anyways so Im not too upset with the non call.  I didnt like how long he took to get back in the play (and I bet Tocchett was more PO’d about that)

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You mean Junior?

107: Vilmer Alriksson LW, Djurgardens Jr. (Swedish junior)
Hand: Left
Height: Six-foot-six
Weight: 214
Hometown: Enebyberg, Sweden
2022-23 stats: 12 goals, 9 assists in 43 games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Dude isn't 22 anymore. He's 25, been in the show 6 years now. If he didn't bulk up by now it's safe to say he won't ever. Even Willander at 18 had enough awareness to know he needs to bulk up. And his 18 year old weight was already heavier than 25 year old Petey's weight. While being listed as 2 inches shorter than Petey. Petey is very likely at the weight he'll be playing his prime at. I don't see him getting any stronger physically unless he has an epiphany this offseason.

He is very capable of adding strength or improving his balance no doubt. 

My point was Crosby had that weakness and initially and didn't battle instead flailed then looked towards the refs. He changed his approach, not unheard of.

6 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Everywhere I look this morning articles on Chris Tanev, I think something will go down prior to the DL. I see our 2024 1st and a B prospect (Woo, McWard) someone Right side going to Calgary for C Tanev 25-50% retained. Then the deadline move/s will be to tweak the top six. Probably Kuzzy + if he doesn't get back on track after the break, Id rather Kuzzy figure it out than paying for a rental like Guentzel. I really don't see Hoglander going anywhere if Calgary wants him +a 1st for Tanev they can get bent. Hoggy is awesome value// Cost, and a high grade (prospect) if you can still call him that. Still has top six ceiling obviously! 

I think it would be in the Canucks best interests to keep working with Kuzmenko and retain him. The temptation for JR/PA is players they are familiar with who are very good in Guentzel and Lindholm could be had along with Tanev, granted on expiring contracts. I just think the Canucks could better manage their assets this season and try and find a younger player with team control. As it stands this team is tops in the league so.

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

107: Vilmer Alriksson LW, Djurgardens Jr. (Swedish junior)
Hand: Left
Height: Six-foot-six
Weight: 214
Hometown: Enebyberg, Sweden
2022-23 stats: 12 goals, 9 assists in 43 games.

Yes, he's currently playing for the Guelph Storm.

43 games, 9 goals, 15 assists, 24 points, 15 PIMs +3.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2