[PGT] Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Wednesday, January 24th - 7pt/10et - SNP/650

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

He is very capable of adding strength or improving his balance no doubt. 

My point was Crosby had that weakness and initially and didn't battle instead flailed then looked towards the refs. He changed his approach, not unheard of.

Nobody ever said it was unheard of, but it doesn't take 7 years for that to happen. Which would be the case for Petey. It took Nathan MacKinnon 4 years to clue in "maybe I should bulk up" and he became one of the 3-5 best players in the league after people thought he was a bust. Horvat revolutionized his game too inside of the first 4 years of his career, albeit strength was never his issue. His skating was really mid coming out of his draft and he made that a non issue. Maybe Petey does, maybe he wakes up one day and realizes being pushed over by a strong breeze sucks and actually hits the weights. I won't hold my breath. He's been very adamant that his weight is a non issue.

8 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Everywhere I look this morning articles on Chris Tanev, I think something will go down prior to the DL. I see our 2024 1st and a B prospect (Woo, McWard) someone Right side going to Calgary for C Tanev 25-50% retained. Then the deadline move/s will be to tweak the top six. Probably Kuzzy + if he doesn't get back on track after the break, Id rather Kuzzy figure it out than paying for a rental like Guentzel. I really don't see Hoglander going anywhere if Calgary wants him +a 1st for Tanev they can get bent. Hoggy is awesome value// Cost, and a high grade (prospect) if you can still call him that. Still has top six ceiling obviously! 

I tend to agree with you on all of this. Although Hoggy has been at the center of potential trades, I think he's too valuable and key to our window. He's another draft and develop success that's still improving. Crazy to think he's only 23. 

People around here have been saying for years the key to winning and contending is to draft and develop from within. Just think how much better and multidimensional he'll be over the next 1-3 years. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I tend to agree with you on all of this. Although Hoggy has been at the center of potential trades, I think he's too valuable and key to our window. He's another draft and develop success that's still improving. Crazy to think he's only 23. 

People around here have been saying for years the key to winning and contending is to draft and develop from within. Just think how much better and multidimensional he'll be over the next 1-3 years. 

I'd much prefer to see what he can do in the top 6.  He obviously has offensive skill, and I really like the mean streak he shows at times.  I think he'll end up comparable to Hansen.

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Mini slumps.  

Maybe, but a degree of regression was/is probably inevitable, if not normal. 

As of today we lead the league with a team shooting percentage of 13.4%, but we're also 27th in shots on goal with an average of 28.2. 

Boeser's also been shooting at an inflated shooting percentage all season, and despite this stretch without a goal still has a shooting percentage of 20.9%, which is down a bit from what it was. 

Boeser's overall game is superior to Kuzmenko's imo, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his numbers take a bit of a hit once his shooting percentage drops back down closer to his career average the same way Kuzmenko's have after his high shooting percentage last season. Boeser has bounced back, but his career shooting percentage has also jumped and dropped a bit, with it averaging out at 13.6%. 

What works for Boeser though is he's a much more high volume shooter than Kuzmenko. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/hockey-stats/en/profile.php?player=34787

Edited by Coconuts

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sometimes I think Paterson is just dying to coach a hockey team.

Coach pushed back today at the media making a mountain out of a molehill regarding his comments on EP.   

Will wait for the official audio clip.  

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Everywhere I look this morning articles on Chris Tanev, I think something will go down prior to the DL. I see our 2024 1st and a B prospect (Woo, McWard) someone Right side going to Calgary for C Tanev 25-50% retained. Then the deadline move/s will be to tweak the top six. Probably Kuzzy + if he doesn't get back on track after the break, Id rather Kuzzy figure it out than paying for a rental like Guentzel. I really don't see Hoglander going anywhere if Calgary wants him +a 1st for Tanev they can get bent. Hoggy is awesome value// Cost, and a high grade (prospect) if you can still call him that. Still has top six ceiling obviously! 

Why would we give up our 1st AND a prospect for a UFA rental? I like Tanev but we better have him signed on a decent short term for that price.

On Guentzel, I agree but because of the price we would pay for just a couple of months rental, as we won’t have any cap to keep him anyway.

Moving Hogs would definitely be a regrettable mistake.

Edited by Captkirk888

23 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Nobody ever said it was unheard of, but it doesn't take 7 years for that to happen. Which would be the case for Petey. It took Nathan MacKinnon 4 years to clue in "maybe I should bulk up" and he became one of the 3-5 best players in the league after people thought he was a bust. Horvat revolutionized his game too inside of the first 4 years of his career, albeit strength was never his issue. His skating was really mid coming out of his draft and he made that a non issue. Maybe Petey does, maybe he wakes up one day and realizes being pushed over by a strong breeze sucks and actually hits the weights. I won't hold my breath. He's been very adamant that his weight is a non issue.

Worth considering if the loss of agility in bulking up the lower half would be a benefit or a detriment.  With the shot speed he's obviously a strong guy.  Also possible his lean metabolism limits maximum weight.

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd much prefer to see what he can do in the top 6.  He obviously has offensive skill, and I really like the mean streak he shows at times.  I think he'll end up comparable to Hansen.

Same here. He needed to tap into that streak. His intensity is an added advantage. 

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sometimes I think Paterson is just dying to coach a hockey team.

he's just a dog chasing cars. wouldn't have a clue how to run a single drill. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Good question. That should be one of a reviewable challenge. The ref was right there too. No puck anywhere near Petey when he was dumped and interfered with. Terrible ref job

I am in a favor of a coach challenge for any missed penalties that led to a goal directly on any time of the hockey game.  If they could call back on goaltending interference, then other missed call can be challenged, imo.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Nice to see Sedins working with them. 

GEuChM3a0AQX76J2.thumb.jpeg.e2ec63a25a63c64d7d5d874d8d1384ed.jpeg

even in practice, if you're not cheating, you're not trying...

...I guess. I actually really hate that American approach to sports, but here we are. 

• Haha 3

So the Blues entry on the game winning goal was offside under the Cale Makar rule and I don't think anybody noticed.

The puck entered the zone before Schenn but Leddy doesn't touch the puck until a frame after this when Schenn is already in the zone.

image.thumb.png.dbb21f728d88561c53f2c6109c34652d.png

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Allvin and JR are working on that.   Here's an idea though.   Put Brock with EP for awhile.   Miller, it hasn't mattered whom he's had (Garland, Hogs, Podz, Brock, EP, Garland, Pizza, Suter, Pearson  etc etc) going well back into when he first arrived.    Seems like he's an easy guy to build a line around.    And you know he doesn't care who he plays with either, just wants to win win win.   Maybe try Miller there, and see if EPs up to the task to "be the man".      Tochett is going to run out of options.    As in swap EP and Miller.   Also keeps the competition guessing.   On how to play us. 

We don't have that many games left for playoffs and fiddle around,  I don't think Miller will care if Brock plays with EP.   Worth a look. 

Who's F1 to forecheck?

6 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

A few thoughts....

Yes, it was probably a crosscheck on Petey, but this is the NHL and I think we've all been around long enough to know that the zebras tend to let things like that slide in OT. Had he known it would lead directly to a goal, he might have called it, but most refs have trouble with the present....never mind the future....

Honestly, I think the frustration Petey showed after that goal, was as much a result of his ill-advised attempt to stickhandle through the Blues' defense, leading to the rush that ended the game, as it was the non-call on Schenn....

I'm usually one of the few who defend Chaos Giraffe and Kuzmenko, but they both had off nights. Myers didn't get a minus on the PP goal, but he got caught fishing for the puck on what amounted to a 2 on 1. You have to take that pass away and let Casey handle the shooter. That's Defense 101....

Zadorov's benching might have surprised some, but not me. In a game where there were plenty of mistakes to go around, it seemed like RT singled NZ out, but there's more to it. The third goal wasn't so much a mistake by Zadorov as it was a lazy, half-assed job of net front coverage. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Foote or Gonchar that stapled his ass to the bench.

Brock is a bit snake bit right now, but a lot of goal scorers go through this. They usually come out of it and go on a bit of a streak. I'm not worried about BB. In fact, if you go back and watch Suter's first goal, it was a direct result of a deft tip by Boeser on the point shot. If not for that deflection, Hofer likely absorbs that shot and doesn't give up the rebound.

Glass half full: The team was down by 2 goals....twice...yet still found a way to get a point out of it. Despite losing the game, the Canucks still gained a point in the standings on both Boston and Winnipeg....

Great post... bang on.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

this is the cycle that every coach and manager goes through here as they realize that the media and fans are like a junior high cafeteria on the maturity scale. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, KingRaj91 said:

No he doesn't dude, Boeser has been totally fine. He is a two-way guy, he's not just a goal scorer.

Yea, that's true. But I can Tocc benching Boeser like he did with Miller a while ago. 

Gotta keep players accountable. Tocchet's doing that. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

this is the cycle that every coach and manager goes through here as they realize that the media and fans are like a junior high cafeteria on the maturity scale. 

Welcome to Canada! 

Didn't Rutherford and Allvin also say that they were shocked at the level of scrutiny here in Vancouver compared to Pittsburgh?