[PGT] Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Wednesday, January 24th - 7pt/10et - SNP/650

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The zero credibility media being alarmist for readers again. Stoking the flames of how some can't handle the truth in this hurt feelings culture.

I'd be embarrassed to put my name to a headline like that. 

And it's likely Petey probably has no issue at all with what Tocchet said. It's called accountability. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The zero credibility media being alarmist for readers again. Stoking the flames of how some can't handle the truth in this hurt feelings culture.

I'd be embarrassed to put my name to a headline like that. 

And it's likely Petey probably has no issue with it at all with what Tocchet said. It's called accountability. 

These media hacks only seek to foment disorder to control traffic to their inane sites and podcasts. I think the majority of the fan base sees these clowns for who they are and realize how smart Tocchet is. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Tocchet has always liked balanced lines. It'd keep suter on the pp for now but look at experimenting. We saw some last night garland-pettey-hogs briefly.

The no name line has shooting (garly), skill (bluegs) and hitting (josh). I love that line but laff could replace josh in short-term

josh-miller-kuz (josh creates space)

hogz-pettey-boes (hogz gives energy and more danger)

garl-blueger-laff (laff brings hits)

mik-aman-suter (grind hard or we try others)

I'd be feared of breaking up the Garland line, which seems to be the only one working constantly...

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Worth considering if the loss of agility in bulking up the lower half would be a benefit or a detriment.  With the shot speed he's obviously a strong guy.  Also possible his lean metabolism limits maximum weight.

This weight slowing people down thing is so overrated. Nathan MacKinnon is 3 inches shorter than Petey and never lost a step bulking up, and he is around 200 pounds. Ovi played at 230 pounds in his prime and still could blow by people, not so much now. McDavid plays at 195ish. Fastest guy in the game. Larkin is around 200 pounds and is one of the fastest dudes in the game. There's zero reason to think 6'3 Petey can't get stronger on his skates and push 190 pounds without losing a step, while shorter dudes can get bigger. I truly believe he's a top 3 talent in hockey if he were 190+ pounds.

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's ridiculous how Tocchet simply comments that Petey's last few games haven't been great and everyone just explodes.

The comments coming in to 650 lately have been ridiculous. "Gord" (caller) who suggests we get rid of Petey fast before we get anchored to a guy who isn't very good. Etc.

I'm glad the 650 guys fired back (citing actual stats and facts to prove the haters wrong).

Geesh.

Yeah, that reaction last night got my blood boiling too.  

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Dude isn't 22 anymore. He's 25, been in the show 6 years now. If he didn't bulk up by now it's safe to say he won't ever. Even Willander at 18 had enough awareness to know he needs to bulk up. And his 18 year old weight was already heavier than 25 year old Petey's weight. While being listed as 2 inches shorter than Petey. Petey is very likely at the weight he'll be playing his prime at. I don't see him getting any stronger physically unless he has an epiphany this offseason.

Pump You Up Saturday Night Live GIF

Petey and Kuz's offseason training partners

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You're getting lost in the names, brah. The message is to battle through what's happening on the ice, and not to look to a referee when something shitty happens on the ice. If the dumb zebra didn't call it while they're in full view of it, looking to them will have little to no effect. 

No doubt there.   We are agreeing in that.   Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.   Nothing wrong for trying (EP).   Think both guys played it pretty good. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Vancouver shit media rearing it's ugly head again. Well so much for all Tocchet's great hockey knowledge related answers. It was great while it lasted. What a bunch of asshats.

If the media keeps it up, pretty soon RT will hold back and start talking like coach Belichick and his one word answers.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Vancouver shit media rearing it's ugly head again. Well so much for all Tocchet's great hockey knowledge related answers. It was great while it lasted. What a bunch of asshats.

I think it's also the media back in east too.

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Top pairing doesn't always equate to a guy being a #1 or #2, sometimes it just means it's the best option in that slot 

Hughes is a #1, after that we have a few 3-5 guys in Hronek, Myers, Cole, and Zadorov, and another when Soucy is healthy, with Hronek being the #3 and the others being #4-5's

But that's fine, every team doesn't have a legit #1 and #2

One could argue that if we had someone else who meshed well with Hughes that bumping Hronek down could result in better depth 

Personally I haven’t been all that impressed with Hroneks defensive play. Sure the points are nice but he’s not a great partner for Hughes in my opinion. 

Hughes - ???

Soucy-Hronek

Zadorav-Myers or Cole

Juulsen

For next year. Cole or Myers, 1 should come back not both. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

There's the old CanuckFanForever 

So I can't have the opinion that Tocchet's comments came off a little harsh or even a little unrealistic. EP40 is a big reason the Canucks are where they are not the biggest but 1 of the biggest for sure but he is human and can not be expected to play at a high level every game. He can play at 80% and still be better than 80% of the league

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

And it's likely Petey probably has no issue at all with what Tocchet said. It's called accountability. 

and to be frank, if he did have a problem with it? trade him in the offseason. 

not a piece I want to build around if honest feedback from the coach makes him pout. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Personally I haven’t been all that impressed with Hroneks defensive play. Sure the points are nice but he’s not a great partner for Hughes in my opinion. 

Hughes - ???

Soucy-Hronek

Zadorav-Myers or Cole

Juulsen

For next year. Cole or Myers, 1 should come back not both. 

I wish we could clone Hamhuis and put him with Hughes. Could you imagine? 

tocc: "Maybe it’s a story because we’re winning a lot and we’re looking for negativity. That’s how I look at it."

I love this man. if he started a cult I'd be the first member. he gets it. from every angle. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

So I can't have the opinion that Tocchet's comments came off a little harsh or even a little unrealistic. EP40 is a big reason the Canucks are where they are not the biggest but 1 of the biggest for sure but he is human and can not be expected to play at a high level every game. He can play at 80% and still be better than 80% of the league

Oh, you definitely can, but Tocchet wasn't wrong and wasn't harsh. Even Petey agreed with Tocch and says he needs to be better. He even said that he gave two turnovers. 

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Or for Pettersson to deal with the Schenns of the world by getting back up and looking at the player and not the referee. Didn't work for Daniel Sedin when Marchand was speed bagging him, won't work now. 

the Sedins were strong along the boards and weren’t divers. It worked a lot better for them because of this.