[PGT] Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Wednesday, January 24th - 7pt/10et - SNP/650

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

And yet he can juggle while riding a unicycle (as can Hoagie). Pretty good sense of balance I would surmise.   (Is unicycling juggling a particularly Swedish thing?)

I forgot about that. Good balance but much different than maintaining balance with contact. I'm kinda surprised that he and Hogs haven't had a race yet. That would be cool to see

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good for Tocchet. There are some great local writers like MacIntyre and Kuzma, but Paterson and his ilk are the vermin that Tocchet speaks of. 

I feel like kuz has struggled a bit since the industry turned upside down, but imac for me is the only one left with decency. look at how delicately he approaches the players, knowing how standoffish they all are because of the OTHER shitty journalists they have to deal with. 

is this really what we wanted, folks? when all the bogus wannabe journalism started out it was all about getting the "real truth" and getting rid of the evils of the mainstream media and eliminating "gatekeepers" by replacing them with "citizen journalists". 

well, here's what you got: thomas drance and all his little hangers-on from blog sites authored by people who know nothing about either hockey or journalism, all competing to see who can try to make the canucks look worse. and because there's so many of these diseased botflies choking the air, clouds of them, 2 of the 3 remaining legitimate journalists in town have had to debase themselves by sinking to the same tactics. 

meanwhile, 15 years ago I could open the sun and the province and have a combined 10 articles to read every day written by reasonable, educated people who had knowledge, ethics, and integrity.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

I feel like kuz has struggled a bit since the industry turned upside down, but imac for me is the only one left with decency. look at how delicately he approaches the players, knowing how standoffish they all are because of the OTHER shitty journalists they have to deal with. 

is this really what we wanted, folks? when all the bogus wannabe journalism started out it was all about getting the "real truth" and getting rid of the evils of the mainstream media and eliminating "gatekeepers" by replacing them with "citizen journalists". 

well, here's what you got: thomas drance and all his little hangers-on from blog sites authored by people who know nothing about either hockey or journalism, all competing to see who can try to make the canucks look worse. and because there's so many of these diseased botflies choking the air, clouds of them, 2 of the 3 remaining legitimate journalists in town have had to debase themselves by sinking to the same tactics. 

meanwhile, 15 years ago I could open the sun and the province and have a combined 10 articles to read every day written by reasonable, educated people who had knowledge, ethics, and integrity.

You’d have to go back about 20-25 years to find news articles written without all the incessant spin and partisan opinion there is in modern day journalism. 

Independent journalism is where the truest form still exists. Most, if not all, major news outlets now are nothing more than opinion factories. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

He was just laying there staring at the ref as he slowly got up. Yes, it was a penalty, but it wasn't called and your man is now wide open for the GWG. You play until the whistle my guy. Sedins got cross checked all game every game. They played til the whistle. 

No he glanced at the ref, after the goal he stared at him. Thought rewriting history was only done by people south of the border! 🤣

41 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Pettersson even said this morning he was more upset about the two giveaways he made earlier on that play.

He took the high road....I don't have to.

Over it, but it's just more of the same in the crappy reffing saga.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Nobody ever said it was unheard of, but it doesn't take 7 years for that to happen. Which would be the case for Petey. It took Nathan MacKinnon 4 years to clue in "maybe I should bulk up" and he became one of the 3-5 best players in the league after people thought he was a bust. Horvat revolutionized his game too inside of the first 4 years of his career, albeit strength was never his issue. His skating was really mid coming out of his draft and he made that a non issue. Maybe Petey does, maybe he wakes up one day and realizes being pushed over by a strong breeze sucks and actually hits the weights. I won't hold my breath. He's been very adamant that his weight is a non issue.

Different body types, doesn't just work the way you say.

Plus, MacKinnon was a #1 draft pick and the bar is set a bit higher for him as a result.

"Maybe Petey wakes up one day"? "Strong breeze". If you want to be taken seriously try to avoid this crap as it does little to sell your case. No one works harder than Petey on improving himself. He'll be fine.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Different body types, doesn't just work the way you say.

Plus, MacKinnon was a #1 draft pick and the bar is set a bit higher for him as a result.

"Maybe Petey wakes up one day"? "Strong breeze". If you want to be taken seriously try to avoid this crap as it does little to sell your case. No one works harder than Petey on improving himself. He'll be fine.

It's definitely harder to gain weight in hockey (kinda like tennis), but if Petey wants to get jacked he could absolutely get jacked.

Here's Giannis Antetokounmpo from age 21 to 27:

image.png.d9190cf5f47255e3b73e35a0bf349458.png  image.png.fadaca1eef692f308ada86c814724a41.png

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

When there's nothing negative about the Canucks to write about media like Paterson show their true colors.  Without the Canucks being a bad team he has no material.  The Canucks are 17-2-3 in their last 22 games and all he can do is scour every nook and cranny for anything negative.  It's a cancer.

I've long said for years that winning will expose both the media and chronically negative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

Personally I haven’t been all that impressed with Hroneks defensive play. Sure the points are nice but he’s not a great partner for Hughes in my opinion. 

Hughes - ???

Soucy-Hronek

Zadorav-Myers or Cole

Juulsen

For next year. Cole or Myers, 1 should come back not both. 

I could see Myers coming back if he takes a pay cut, he's been much better when surrounded by a capable D core

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'd be feared of breaking up the Garland line, which seems to be the only one working constantly...

True i really didn't want to either, i just figured laff with his hitting might help if they want to see if joshua can create space. 

I like the innovation of line juggling but its the chemistry of give n go plays that really matter so i just wish pettey-kuz could get back to last year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You’d have to go back about 20-25 years to find news articles written without all the incessant spin and partisan opinion there is in modern day journalism. 

Independent journalism is where the truest form still exists. Most, if not all, major news outlets now are nothing more than opinion factories. 

i use reuters for news. I'm talking about sports journalism.

I'm speaking firsthand, what it was like. I read those newspapers, and then their online equivalents, for many years. it wasn't perfect, there were always things you'd roll your eyes at or tony gallagher shooting his mouth (fingers?) off, but it was professional. there were certain professional courtesies, decorum, unwritten rules, understood dynamics that existed between the team and the writers, and no more. now it's combative idiocy.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I've long said for years that winning will expose both the media and chronically negative.

The sad thing is that it's always the clicks. With newspapers across North America shedding reporters they need controversy as bad news sadly grabs more than good. I think Patrick Johnson does a pretty good job of positive stories. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, tas said:

i use reuters for news. I'm talking about sports journalism.

I'm speaking firsthand, what it was like. I read those newspapers, and then their online equivalents, for many years. it wasn't perfect, there were always things you'd roll your eyes at or tony gallagher shooting his mouth (fingers?) off, but it was professional. there were certain professional courtesies, decorum, unwritten rules, understood dynamics that existed between the team and the writers, and no more. now it's combative idiocy.

the hockey news was great, definitely nothing like it was

• Cheers 2