Add those refs to that bonfire

Build a bonfire, build a bonfire

Put the helmets on the top

Put the refs in the middle

And burn the f--king lot!

Edited by Kevlar
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I don't mind the non-call. Petey went down too easy, and it wasn't a hard check.

And, we got off lucky with the goal being called off, IMO, as that too was an easy fall on a light crosscheck, and I don't think it impacted his ability to make a play. Not that I was complaining, though.

Tough luck for DeSmith, as he didn't have much hope on the first 3.

Hofer better be a star, he made some great saves. Between him and some sloppy play on our part, that's the difference in the game. Too many lame passes. Wonder if Boeser's gonna ha e a nightmare about that missed shot. Wow, that should have been an easy one.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. A cross check is a cross check. An interference is an interference. There’s no grading system in the rules.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RomanPer said:

Sorry, but this is nonsense. A cross check is a cross check. An interference is an interference. There’s no grading system in the rules.

Horsecrap, we see it all the time. Sometimes it does get called, but when it's soft like this one, it more likely gets let go.

Had it gone the other way, and we were called for it, we'd be bitching to no end on the weak call.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

I will grant you that if the pass was coming to the guy who knocked Petey over, it would/should be called.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spur1 said:

Offence wasn’t good because the referees were letting the Blues get away with all kinds of interference and holding. 

Kinda like what happens in the playoffs every year. Gotta battle through or dish out the same. Good tune up game for the weeks and months ahead

• Like 2

Petey embellished the cross check and went down.  Had he not, he could have checked the shooter and stopped the OT goal from being scored.

I don't think the cross check was hard enough to actually knock him off his feet without embellishment and that is what the refs thought as well. That's my take live and in the slo mo replays as well.

Sorry, but that was on him for being a weak euro soccer faker instead of a stand up guy. Ask Tocchet.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

The good news is that we got a point, extending the point streak to 10 games and retaining top spot in the NHL standings. 

That other good news is that the Canucks outplayed St. Louis by a significant margin and were unlucky not to get two points.

Specifics:

1. The Canucks started strong and it was about 12 minutes before the Blues got their first shot. By that stage the Canucks had several good chances and were unlucky not to score.  Later in the period, the Blues scored against the run of play and then scored on a PP. Suddenly the Canucks were down 2-0 and chasing the game.  Great to see the Canucks come back. The Blues were a tired team but, even so, credit to the Canucks for an excellent third period. 

2. Suter obviously came up big. The Suter-Miller-Boeser was better than the Lotto line has been in the last few games. Miller was very good and Boeser had some great chances (and got 2 assists). But Boeser has not been burying his chances. Not sure if it is just luck or if there is an issue of mental sharpness or general fatigue. Also, Boeser failed to check the shooter on the first St. Louis goal. 

3. I was surprised to hear Tocc being critical of Petey and Z in his post-game comments. (Not surprised about his assessment, just surprised he said it.) I had been wondering whether to comment on Petey and Z, both of whom had sub-par performances.  But I can understand why both guys are getting worn down heading into the all-star break. 

4. The advanced stats were pretty interesting tonight. First, in the hockeystatcards, Suter, Boeser and Miller of course led the way and Petey and Z were at the bottom.  

5. In Natural Stat Trick, Canucks led the all-strength Corsi 79-46 and the 5-on-5 Corsi 61-36. The all-strength expected goals were 4.81 to 2.45 for the Canucks.  The high-danger numbers were 24-23 and shots were 32-18. Those are very big advantages. It is rare that a team as far behind as St. Lous in those stats actually wins the game.  The Miller line dominated the stats. The Blueger line was quiet but gave up nothing. Their expected goals against was 0.02 in 9:49 ice-time. That is extremely low. 

6. Turning to the D, the Cole-Juulsen pairing was very good. Hughes was also excellent and ended up with over 28 minutes after Z. had his minutes cut in the third period (playing only 12:40 in total). I though Myers was kind of at-fault for the St. Lous PP goal. It was a pass through the crease and Myer did not check the passer or the shooter and did not deflect this pass. I was just wishing he could be quicker or more coordinated, but that is asking a lot for a guy of his height. 

7. As for the Kuzy watch, he was kind of disappointing. Not bad, but I was hoping for better. He made a poor play on the third St. Lous goal. He could have checked Hayes but looked back at the point instead. I can understand that he was trying be responsible and make sure the D was not sneaking into the slot, but it was the wrong read. 

8. Finally, my take on the OT goal was as follows. I can see why the refs did not call an interference penalty on Schenn. In retrospect it looked like interference but in the heat of the moment at game speed, it looked two guys (Petey and Schenn) battling for position and one guy falls down. Frankly, it looked to me like Petey went down pretty easily and was slow to get back up. Anyway, the refs don't want to decide an OT game on a marginal penalty call. I would have liked a penalty call but I can't really complain about it.  

9. Despite the loss, I feel pretty good about this game and we just need one more win (against Columbus) to go into the break in first place and still on a hot streak. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

It was a cross check and he didn't have the puck, the puck was no where by him.  

Cross check or interference can be called.  

If that was Myers doing that, they would called a penalty for being a big guy.  

Then may be you dont watch hockey too often then, because those checks happen very often in every game. 

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

I don't mind the non-call. Petey went down too easy, and it wasn't a hard check.

And, we got off lucky with the goal being called off, IMO, as that too was an easy fall on a light crosscheck, and I don't think it impacted his ability to make a play. Not that I was complaining, though.

Tough luck for DeSmith, as he didn't have much hope on the first 3.

Hofer better be a star, he made some great saves. Between him and some sloppy play on our part, that's the difference in the game. Too many lame passes. Wonder if Boeser's gonna ha e a nightmare about that missed shot. Wow, that should have been an easy one.

Yeah, I think petey embellished but both of em should went to the box in my opinion 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1