[PGT] Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Wednesday, January 24th - 7pt/10et - SNP/650

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

I just watched it. Pretty terrible no call. Especially since it gave him the space and time to get his gwg/ shot off.

weird we’ve lost two at home with blatant none calls on petey to score in OT..

I can’t help but be concerned that in playoffs there will be more of this. 

Not worried at all about the playoffs.

They don't use the gimmick.   We'd still have four guys on the ice.    Our 3rd period holding the lead.    We've barely gone to OT, where as other teams like the Bruins have pumped their stats massively.     And one of the best things about this team, is we have shown a ton of resilience in bouncing back after a loss.    9/10, this game wouldn't go to OT either, we'd have beat them in regulation (they got lucky, St. louis).    

Im pretty sure when the whistles get put away, it won't matter.    Games like this are good lessons for that.  

• Vintage 1

They had a spirited come back, but unfortunately couldn't get 2 points out of it.

Only real disappointment for me was Boeser missing a sitter (or at least for him, a sitter)... hope he doesn't lose confidence, as we need him to put the puck in the net...

And somebody explain to me, what is a crowd check, and if the ref didn't think it was hard enough for a cross check, what is interference... Puck nowhere near Petey, when he gets cross checked.

Its not as if the refs had a lot of players to pay attention to... 

Nevermind... somebody posted that the 2010-2011 team went of a nine game points run after reaching 40 points... 6-0-3 I think it was... so far this team is 2-0-1, so they are still in the hunt to break the highest points total... 

Good on them for not giving up....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

They had a spirited come back, but unfortunately couldn't get 2 points out of it.

Only real disappointment for me was Boeser missing a sitter (or at least for him, a sitter)... hope he doesn't lose confidence, as we need him to put the puck in the net...

And somebody explain to me, what is a crowd check, and if the ref didn't think it was hard enough for a cross check, what is interference... Puck nowhere near Petey, when he gets cross checked.

Nevermind... somebody posted that the 2010-2011 team went of a nine game points run after reaching 40 points... 6-0-3 I think it was... so far this team is 2-0-1, so they are still in the hunt to break the highest points total... 

Isn’t there an area in front of the net where refs allow guys to battle? Petey will learn and be better prepared next time he’s in that situation. Plus, he will learn to do the same thing. 

• Cheers 1

St Louis 3rd goal is exactly what we're missing.  A skilled big man standing in crease posted up strong ready for any tip or any garbage. We've got tons of smaller skilled forwards. But an extra skilled big body would help us in tough games. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Scored 3 goals and should have had at least a couple more. Great comeback for the single point. that could be very useful at the end of the season.

Now some thoughts.

- That style of play has been a problem this season. Philly and St Louis with the big forwards that play a physical style. The hit on Hughes the cross check on Petey the play that got the blues goal called back, all much like it will be in the playoffs. Its no secret the refs are not going to call everything. especially in the second season. We better understand that and be prepared for more of the same.

-The first 10 minutes of the game we should have had the lead but we didn't get anything for the effort. That's a calling card from the past. If you look at the last few games we have been able to get a lead and basically coast to the win except maybe in the leafs game. It was a little weird seeing someone else score first.  Chasing the game is always harder. we traditionally don't do well when we dominate for a period but don't get anything out of it.

-I didn't like the no response from the Canucks after Hughes got cross checked behind the Blues net. That's our meal ticket there getting abused and no one did anything. For all the good things we have done we still don't stick up for our stars very well. Big Z should have been released.

-I didn't like the play by Zadorov on the Blues third goal as much as anyone but benching the one guy that plays physical against one of the more physical opponents im not sure was a good move. I trust coach T that this wasn't just for the one infraction but I would have liked to see big Z hammer a couple of the Blues. 

-Suter played well with Miller and Boeser. Nice Hatty in the third to secure the point. We got a bit unlucky Boeser missing the net, Garland had a few quality chances and Hronek on the breakaway could have made the non call in OT moot. Their goalie made the save ours didn't.

-The non call on Petey was pretty bad but it balances out over a season. I will take our return non call in the finals.

-given we have had trouble with the Blues the last couple years I might have started Demko against them and given Desmith the Jackets but i don't coach the team and he has a pretty good record.

-Lastly Those helmets are awful. just because one team did it shouldn't mean they all do it. I much prefer the black ones. 

Beat the Jackets and get this weird not winning taste out of our mouths for the all star break.

Great post. 

And I agree with the Hughes deal....he went off hurt and it was dicey for a moment there. We lose him, we're in trouble. That definitely called for "attention".

I love that we did sneak a point out at the end. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I am as upset about that ending as much as everyone, but Petey quitting on the play was not a good look. That wasn't the time to stare at the ref. Get up, get back in the play. Zadarov, Kuzy and Petey all had pretty tough games. It's crazy how much worse Petey looks away from Boeser and Miller. Whereas Miller and Boeser just prop up which ever bottom 6er they slap on that line. I was never really a believer in Kuzy. But I thought he could at least produce half decently with Petey and they could at least be a dangerous scoring line. But that whole line is just cheeks.

I honestly think Kuzy is in a situation where the only thing bringing him back is a change of scenery. If we can trade him in a package to get a legit 2nd line center. We can keep the Lotto line together, we don't need to play Suter in a top 6 role. Which outside of tonight he looks like he isn't suited for. Everyone wins. Petey gets to stick with the Lotto line and Kuzy can get a fresh start with a new team. he just doesn't fit Tocc's coaching style.

How is getting crosschecked to the ice quitting on the play. Yeah I agree he had a luke warm game but that was a penalty 10 x 10

31 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Scored 3 goals and should have had at least a couple more. Great comeback for the single point. that could be very useful at the end of the season.

Now some thoughts.

- That style of play has been a problem this season. Philly and St Louis with the big forwards that play a physical style. The hit on Hughes the cross check on Petey the play that got the blues goal called back, all much like it will be in the playoffs. Its no secret the refs are not going to call everything. especially in the second season. We better understand that and be prepared for more of the same.

-The first 10 minutes of the game we should have had the lead but we didn't get anything for the effort. That's a calling card from the past. If you look at the last few games we have been able to get a lead and basically coast to the win except maybe in the leafs game. It was a little weird seeing someone else score first.  Chasing the game is always harder. we traditionally don't do well when we dominate for a period but don't get anything out of it.

-I didn't like the no response from the Canucks after Hughes got cross checked behind the Blues net. That's our meal ticket there getting abused and no one did anything. For all the good things we have done we still don't stick up for our stars very well. Big Z should have been released.

-I didn't like the play by Zadorov on the Blues third goal as much as anyone but benching the one guy that plays physical against one of the more physical opponents im not sure was a good move. I trust coach T that this wasn't just for the one infraction but I would have liked to see big Z hammer a couple of the Blues. 

-Suter played well with Miller and Boeser. Nice Hatty in the third to secure the point. We got a bit unlucky Boeser missing the net, Garland had a few quality chances and Hronek on the breakaway could have made the non call in OT moot. Their goalie made the save ours didn't.

-The non call on Petey was pretty bad but it balances out over a season. I will take our return non call in the finals.

-given we have had trouble with the Blues the last couple years I might have started Demko against them and given Desmith the Jackets but i don't coach the team and he has a pretty good record.

-Lastly Those helmets are awful. just because one team did it shouldn't mean they all do it. I much prefer the black ones. 

Beat the Jackets and get this weird not winning taste out of our mouths for the all star break.

Agreed the focus for trader Jim is to get a bigger skilled body into our top 6.

• Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Dom said:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hog-Petey-?

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Aman-Lafferty

Hughes-?

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Cole

We need a 2nd line RW & a RHD to play with Hughes. 

Lindholm and Tanev from Smelly Cowpieville? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Agreed the focus for trader Jim is to get a bigger skilled body into our top 6.

JR loves 2 things in players, size and speed.  It is always what he has looked for outside of his stars.

We know that is exactly what we need and are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Again, overtime rules should be different in the case of game-deciding judgment calls. They're too hard to get right in the moment. 

Just blow the whistle and face off at centre ice. No penalty, no goal.

It's shinny after all, so go all in with shinny rules. Wear toques and when it's over, give them all hot chocolate. 

Edited by Inkidu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reg said:

Glad we managed to get a point out of this game. My lasting takeaway is the whining at the referees has got to stop. It's a bad look and embarrassing, not to mention the fact it never changes a call. It probably has a negative affect on the officials. Totally understand why players are pissed however attempting to show up the refs never achieves the desired outcome. Suck it up and play smarter and harder on the next shift.

Here's the thing, the play in the post-season is twice as tough so now is the time to come to terms with that reality and quit whining about non-calls or calls against.

Yup. No excuses. We fans enjoy that stuff but it’s clear coach Tocchet steers away from it. And he wants players to as well. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Reg said:

Glad we managed to get a point out of this game. My lasting takeaway is the whining at the referees has got to stop. It's a bad look and embarrassing, not to mention the fact it never changes a call. It probably has a negative affect on the officials. Totally understand why players are pissed however attempting to show up the refs never achieves the desired outcome. Suck it up and play smarter and harder on the next shift.

Here's the thing, the play in the post-season is twice as tough so now is the time to come to terms with that reality and quit whining about non-calls or calls against.

I don't think the Canucks are huge complainers....at least not as much as other teams. Look at the players (Cole in particular) trying to get baited by the media to react last night...they didn't. Think Cole said something like "that's above my pay grade...I just play".

The issue here is there was a penalty that occurred that HAS to be called 100% of the time; blatant x-check away from the play that resulted in a scoring chance (in this case goal). If one of the Canucks had done that, I'd be perfectly fine with an OT penalty; it was a stupid play by Schenn.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Agree. Always call this. It makes the games better and takes away controversy. Call it like highsticking and puck into the crowd.

• Cheers 1