[PGT] Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Wednesday, January 24th - 7pt/10et - SNP/650

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We are a balanced team.    The one thing we do lack, is a mean SOB in the bottom six that can move up as a deterrent, that can go town when needed.   Not easy to find those guys.   Why TB spent so much on Jeannott.   Also why Marroon has his name on the cup.    Let other teams pay the big bucks, for whomever this years Patrick Kane, Claude Giroux is.   Rarely do the big names win you a cup.   It's the Bollands, Coleman's etc, that seem to do that.  

I remember when guys like Maroon and Reaves would change teams every year just above waivers. We've got one big 6'6" forward coming up from Sweden.  Can't wait till he gets a look.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's just one game.  And EP draws a lot of penalties.   Everyone needs to get used to this for the playoffs, when "Hudson Bay" rules come back.    Not like we had a scoring chance either - and i'm not at all worried about it.   We won't be playing 3 x 3 if a game goes to OT then either.    Unlikely, they score if we had four other guys on the ice ...  Also a learning experience.  

I think some adversity for the team is good. It's come easy at times this year. I agree on the learning experience. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

EP, Brock, even Miller have been off last few games. Really need to find a good top six player with speed and skill for the playoffs. Center would be best to allow more options, but a winger would do. EP with Kuz and Mik is a failure. Lotto line works great, but then second line is crap. D going into playoffs is ok, ok when healthy.  I would rather see all in on a quality top sox addition, maybe a small add on D for depth.

Yes we should be buyers.   And also buy if we can, for next year as well.   Who knows the next time, we will have a shot at it.    We don't have many holes.     Allvin has been the most active GM so far, expect more when we can make it work. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I remember when guys like Maroon and Reaves would change teams every year just above waivers. We've got one big 6'6" forward coming up from Sweden.  Can't wait till he gets a look.

Reaves is a little bit of a different animal,  but yes they used to be a dime a dozen.   Marroon can actually play the game a tier above.   Foligno is another guy like that, Stewart when he played too.   If you can get a guy who can play a fourth line shift, hit hard and provide energy, and also move up and protect your stars ... Lafferty plus hits like a tank, and will do anything to help the team win.    Games changed, but those guys are still invaluable.   Especially when the whistles are put away, refs let them play and govern themselves more.   Who wants to watch power plays determine the score?   We don't have a great PK.   It won't matter.   It also won't matter much if we have a great PP.    One of the reasons i'm pretty optimistic, with the caveat, adding a player who is willing to set the tone and is able to set the tone ... we don't really have that in our lineup.    It's a key ingredient in the cup soup, that we are missing. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Nah, those blatant cross checks are called. Two guys battling, sure...but you can't knock a player to the ice from behind with a x check to the back. We were in that section and saw it from overhead....ref was right there. Should have been a call...only 6 guys on the ice to watch, it's not like there was a crowd in the crease.

It was probably Petterssons legs flopping about that made the ref not call it. Just get up and play. He draws a lot of legit penalties, he doesn't need to be flopping. 

• Upvote 1

Tocchet has always liked balanced lines. It'd keep suter on the pp for now but look at experimenting. We saw some last night garland-pettey-hogs briefly.

The no name line has shooting (garly), skill (bluegs) and hitting (josh). I love that line but laff could replace josh in short-term

josh-miller-kuz (josh creates space)

hogz-pettey-boes (hogz gives energy and more danger)

garl-blueger-laff (laff brings hits)

mik-aman-suter (grind hard or we try others)

Edited by OldFaithfulcap

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Passive aggressive, fun.

Didn't say it wasn't a cross check, just that he really appeared to go down easily and I can understand why the refs would not call that in OT.

This wasn't a horribly egregious non-call or some wild anti-Canuck conspiracy.  

It was a borderline non-call. I wouldn't have blinked an eye if they had called it 2 for cross checking and 2 for diving.

Passive aggressive?  I just happen to believe my lying eyes and am sick of game management.  Yeah, I know all the rationalizations for it so spare me.

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Passive aggressive, fun.

Didn't say it wasn't a cross check, just that he really appeared to go down easily and I can understand why the refs would not call that in OT.

This wasn't a horribly egregious non-call or some wild anti-Canuck conspiracy.  

It was a borderline non-call. I wouldn't have blinked an eye if they had called it 2 for cross checking and 2 for diving.

Yep.   It was a baby cross check.   EP for sure embellished.   Dana Murzyn in the crease, would make you pay.     Edler did a diving cross-check against a Vegas player that must of hurt ... no call against us last game we had in the playoffs.    I don't think it was a bad non-call.    EP does this.    And that's ok.   Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.      We won't get away with this sort of stuff in the playoffs.   Might as well get it out of our system now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

The visual evidence of Schenn's follow-through is indisputable.  But I get it, some of you aren't into the rules.

And if that was reversed and called off you’d be fuckin pissed.

it was a pretty weak shove, Petey went down rather easy, partly due to fatigue and partly because he was not expecting it.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

it was a pretty weak shove, Petey went down rather easy, partly due to fatigue and partly because he was not expecting it.

Schenn gliding in gave him a shove.   The moment this isn't a hockey play, i'm going to stop watching.     For both players.   EP knew he was coming and showed him his back, was a good play for both players, bet St. Louis fans would be totally pissed, if they called it.     Even Tochett post game "Those refs are tops in the league" 

enough said.   Of course EP was trying to help.   My 18 year old daughter could crosscheck me harder.   Schenn ... I'd welcome him to our team in a second, he's exactly what we need. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Jaimito said:

A strong effort in the 3rd and for 10 minutes of the 1st isn't enough.  Half effort for a good part of the game has been the story ever since the big wins in New York.  We have a ways to go if we don't want to be eliminated in the 1st round.

5 minutes ago, KFAN said:

A strong effort in the 3rd and for 10 minutes of the 1st isn't enough.  Half effort for a good part of the game has been the story ever since the big wins in New York.  We have a ways to go if we don't want to be eliminated in the 1st round.

Says who!   Tochett is the mastermind.   When we have the lead he just lets the team float around.   No extra effort.   He's absolutely, saving some for the post-season.   

Edit: Point is, when we have the lead.  Well Tochett knows best.   We haven't had a lot of games, where we have to scrape ourselves off the floor, and come back.   We aren't Rocky Balboa anymore.   We are Apollo.   Sure would be nice, to see him back on this forum.    Jab jab jab - cross.  Jab cross.    This team doesn't have to be firing on all cylinders.   That's a sign of a great team.    We will see.   

Edited by IBatch

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Weak shove?  How did Schenn end up bent over past 90 degrees at the waist then? 

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Weak shove?  How did Schenn end up bent over past 90 degrees at the waist then? 

Gravity.  He was expecting more resistance. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

I've watched a lot of kuz highlights and he really scores all over when his confidence is high. Lots of pettey goals and setups but lots from miller too. Definitely lots in front where he haven't seen him enough this season. Pettey looks completely different too. 

We're doing well, just got to keep building this combinations for the playoffs so we have some set plays but can change. 

19 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Passive aggressive?  I just happen to believe my lying eyes and am sick of game management.  Yeah, I know all the rationalizations for it so spare me.

I second the sentiment. Just like Toronto's 5 PPs last night. If that would have been Nylander or McJesus, they call would have been immediate. Reffs trying to knock the Nucks back down lately. Despite their points, over the last three games the Nucks are also playing less aggressive and not forcing calls that can't be ignored. Both the team and Reffs need a reset.  

50 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We are a balanced team.    The one thing we do lack, is a mean SOB in the bottom six that can move up as a deterrent, that can go town when needed.   Not easy to find those guys.   Why TB spent so much on Jeannott.   Also why Marroon has his name on the cup.    Let other teams pay the big bucks, for whomever this years Patrick Kane, Claude Giroux is.   Rarely do the big names win you a cup.   It's the Bollands, Coleman's etc, that seem to do that.  

Yeah, I agree, I am kind of hoping we do a TB type move and pay up some solid assets to secure a cost controlled player with term. Either a bottom 6 or top 6 player that can help us this year and help navigate the cap concerns over the next two years. Not a Kane type but a younger player with skill, or a tough SOB ... like you said hard to find but I have faith.

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's just one game.  And EP draws a lot of penalties.   Everyone needs to get used to this for the playoffs, when "Hudson Bay" rules come back.    Not like we had a scoring chance either - and i'm not at all worried about it.   We won't be playing 3 x 3 if a game goes to OT then either.    Unlikely, they score if we had four other guys on the ice ...  Also a learning experience.  

Good point. We're terrible at 3v3 but thankfully that sham is not in playoff hockey.

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes we should be buyers.   And also buy if we can, for next year as well.   Who knows the next time, we will have a shot at it.    We don't have many holes.     Allvin has been the most active GM so far, expect more when we can make it work. 

As above I totally agree with serving next year's needs at the same time. Definitely should be buying. It needs to be real shrewd ... we really only have space on the fourth line and the second unless we break up the third line ... but that seems like it would be crazy. Plus we have Hoglander playing great, and Lafferty as well. Maybe leaves Aman as the odd man out ... or we need to trade Kuz or Mik.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

So is Schenn a fopper too?

Schenn is a great hockey player.  Totally respect him.    EP showed his numbers man.   That's all i'm going to say about that.   He knew it was coming.   He's also exactly what this team needs right now.   Like his brother, he's the real deal.  

Edit: Also added Schenn was expecting more resistance.    Both players, played that perfectly.    EP and Schenn. 

Edited by IBatch

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Better not lol 

Well maybe they'd call it too?   I think both players, played that play, well.     Next time, i'd like to see EP instead give whomever, a two hander though.  

• Cheers 1