[PGT] Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Wednesday, January 24th - 7pt/10et - SNP/650

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I know my first reaction after watching him dog it back on the 2-1 he created himself with a crap turnover was get the F up you flopping bitch. And of course they scored on his poor effort. If he even hustles back on the 2 on 1 I think it's possible he gets the call from the ref. Obviously he saw the same lackluster effort I saw and then saw him wilt like a morning flower in the rain after some contact. I wouldn't have given him the call either.

Well that's what Tochett was referring to in his post game.    

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t there an area in front of the net where refs allow guys to battle? Petey will learn and be better prepared next time he’s in that situation. Plus, he will learn to do the same thing. 

Tbh I'd be fine, if that is the case, but it seems to be very random, when or how much is allowed.

I'm not too concerned about the point, and I am fine with the team learning the ropes prior to the play offs...

However, it feels very random, when penalties are given, and that must be of huge frustration to the players and coaches alike.

Don't think there was much difference between the goal, and the earlier 'goal' which was cancelled due to a cross check penalty... 

I think the position where the cross check was given was almost in the same position? I do agree though that Petey learning he can't fall every time he gets challenged will be good for him later on in the season and his career...

Edited by spook007

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Says who!   Tochett is the mastermind.   When we have the lead he just lets the team float around.   No extra effort.   He's absolutely, saving some for the post-season.   

Edit: Point is, when we have the lead.  Well Tochett knows best.   We haven't had a lot of games, where we have to scrape ourselves off the floor, and come back.   We aren't Rocky Balboa anymore.   We are Apollo.   Sure would be nice, to see him back on this forum.    Jab jab jab - cross.  Jab cross.    This team doesn't have to be firing on all cylinders.   That's a sign of a great team.    We will see.   

You may be right IBatch, but I think coaches always want their players to be performing at a high level. I just can't see them saying "okay we got this, you can slow the pace and coast a bit." It seems to me, from RTs comments and benchings that he doesn't like 1/2 effort at any time. Teams that do well in the playoffs have learned to put it all on the ice long before the playoffs start.

• Cheers 2

Well it sure didn’t look like St. Louis played on a back to back. I know why our PP hasn’t been clicking. They pass the puck around for a whole minute before they get any shots through. Sometimes it’s better to shoot at the net and crash and bang instead of looking for that perfect play. 

Got a point out of it that we didn’t deserve. Congrats to Suter on a hat trick. Petey, Boeser, Miller have gone quiet lately.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dom said:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hog-Petey-?

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Mikheyev-Aman-Lafferty

Hughes-?

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Cole

We need a 2nd line RW & a RHD to play with Hughes. 

Hronek is a top pairing Dman. Kicking Hronek downstairs and demanding another even bigger trade for the rarest position in hockey isn't remotely realistic.

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Hronek is a top pairing Dman. Kicking Hronek downstairs and demanding another even bigger trade for the rarest position in hockey isn't remotely realistic.

Hronek is a decent 3-4 defenseman. Taking him away from Hughes shows the holes in his game, and how he's not a legitimate #2. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, R3aL said:

I just watched it. Pretty terrible no call. Especially since it gave him the space and time to get his gwg/ shot off.

weird we’ve lost two at home with blatant none calls on petey to score in OT..

I can’t help but be concerned that in playoffs there will be more of this. 

Obvious solution then is not to play Petey in O/T. 😏

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Googlie said:

Obvious solution then is not to play Petey in O/T. 😏

Or for Pettersson to deal with the Schenns of the world by getting back up and looking at the player and not the referee. Didn't work for Daniel Sedin when Marchand was speed bagging him, won't work now. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

Top pairing doesn't always equate to a guy being a #1 or #2, sometimes it just means it's the best option in that slot 

Hughes is a #1, after that we have a few 3-5 guys in Hronek, Myers, Cole, and Zadorov, and another when Soucy is healthy, with Hronek being the #3 and the others being #4-5's

But that's fine, every team doesn't have a legit #1 and #2

One could argue that if we had someone else who meshed well with Hughes that bumping Hronek down could result in better depth 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, WillisD said:

Not too bad I guess. A point is a point. I've often thought that Pettersson should take judo or wrestling lessons in the off-season to teach him how to maintain his balance with contact. He's still too Bambi legged. Imagine how effective he could be

And yet he can juggle while riding a unicycle (as can Hoagie). Pretty good sense of balance I would surmise.   (Is unicycling juggling a particularly Swedish thing?)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Or for Pettersson to deal with the Schenns of the world by getting back up and looking at the player and not the referee. Didn't work for Daniel Sedin when Marchand was speed bagging him, won't work now. 

Schenn, is nothing like Marchand.  He's a pretty good player.   If the roles were reversed, and Miller crosschecked whomever (say Tarasenko from five years ago, or Brett Hull in the 90's) nobody would care.     Don't think it's the same thing at all really.   Marchand becoming a first line star for sure is a rub too.   Back then getting a power play, wasn't really an advantage either although it for sure gave us hope.   Thomas was the problem.   He was like Patrick Roy in 93... just couldn't solve him.  

Let's give up on the past and be in the present.     Nothing like that either.   First we need to start with playoffs.   Get where you're going too.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Top pairing doesn't always equate to a guy being a #1 or #2, sometimes it just means it's the best option in that slot 

Hughes is a #1, after that we have a few 3-5 guys in Hronek, Myers, Cole, and Zadorov, and another when Soucy is healthy, with Hronek being the #3 and the others being #4-5's

But that's fine, every team doesn't have a legit #1 and #2

One could argue that if we had someone else who meshed well with Hughes that bumping Hronek down could result in better depth 

Exactly. Worked just fine for Pittsburgh when they won a Cup. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Schenn, is nothing like Marchand.  He's a pretty good player.   If the roles were reversed, and Miller crosschecked whomever (say Tarasenko from five years ago, or Brett Hull in the 90's) nobody would care.     Don't think it's the same thing at all really.   Marchand becoming a first line star for sure is a rub too.   Back then getting a power play, wasn't really an advantage either although it for sure gave us hope.   Thomas was the problem.   He was like Patrick Roy in 93... just couldn't solve him.  

Let's give up on the past and be in the present.     Nothing like that either.   First we need to start with playoffs.   Get where you're going too.    

You're getting lost in the names, brah. The message is to battle through what's happening on the ice, and not to look to a referee when something shitty happens on the ice. If the dumb zebra didn't call it while they're in full view of it, looking to them will have little to no effect. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. Worked just fine for Pittsburgh when they won a Cup. 

It's more realistic too, because the best way to acquire 1-2D is too draft them. Colorado has a 1-2D punch in Makar and Toews, but seeing a guy like Toews being traded and then blossoming into a #2 isn't commonplace. 

Then there are cap implications.

The 2010-2011 defense likely didn't have a true #1, but what it did have was several 2-4 guys.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's more realistic too, because the best way to acquire 1-2D is too draft them. Colorado has a 1-2D punch in Makar and Toews, but seeing a guy like Toews being traded and then blossoming into a #2 isn't commonplace. 

Then there are cap implications.

The 2010-2011 defense likely didn't have a true #1, but what it did have was several 2-4 guys.

True. The Canucks have one of the greatest defensemen in the game right now. That alone is worth a mint to the team. 

They've also buttressed the defense with a lot of size and strength, which is a huge commodity once the playoffs hit. 

Players like Willander can move into the #2-3 spot within a season or two. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

True. The Canucks have one of the greatest defensemen in the game right now. That alone is worth a mint to the team. 

They've also buttressed the defense with a lot of size and strength, which is a huge commodity once the playoffs hit. 

Players like Willander can move into the #2-3 spot within a season or two. 

Agree with the first two bits, less so about Willander

I don't think he'll be a Canuck next season, and I think that's best given how young he is, and I don't expect him to be a 2-3 sooner than later

Which isn't a knock in him, I think he'll get there as he's a top notch young D, but I expect there'll be a learning curve and he was an 11OA pick

The Canucks don't need to rush him, in fact delaying his ELC would have his ELC aligning with both Demko and Hughes extensions

I'd rather him and Lekkerimaki stew and develop longer 

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Moeknows said:

How is getting crosschecked to the ice quitting on the play. Yeah I agree he had a luke warm game but that was a penalty 10 x 10

He was just laying there staring at the ref as he slowly got up. Yes, it was a penalty, but it wasn't called and your man is now wide open for the GWG. You play until the whistle my guy. Sedins got cross checked all game every game. They played til the whistle. 

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Nah, those blatant cross checks are called. Two guys battling, sure...but you can't knock a player to the ice from behind with a x check to the back. We were in that section and saw it from overhead....ref was right there. Should have been a call...only 6 guys on the ice to watch, it's not like there was a crowd in the crease.

I agree with this 100%, it was a penalty without any doubt in the context of the crosscheck.

The problem is the politics of the game and refereeing that determined this to not be a penalty due to this being Petey ( league wide reputation of someone who is easily knocked off his skates ), the fact Schenn drastically outweighs and out muscles Petey as well. 

The fact a very similar infraction occurred earlier in the game and was called in fact wiping out a Blues goal then to have a blatant infraction once again frankly more obvious and there is no call. Very disappointing to witness this as a fan, poor job by the officials there. 

But I wouldn't even complain much about this kind of thing because at the end of the year its generally all a wash anyways. I have also noticed this season the way in which the Canucks have had a definite uptick of calls go in their favor, not sure how many fans here will admit that but it is something that has been trending this season. So we can't entirely be pissed at the refs for these blown calls when we are smug or look the other way with a smile when it benefits the Canucks to which it has. Hughes gets away with plenty of stick work and the teams gets away with plenty of set picks. On the other side I have seen a lot of weak calls on opposing players against Petey too.

Last night sucked as a Canucks fan and it was a missed penalty call, but more often then not this season such calls have gone the Canucks way and I think for the most part the fans are quite thrilled with how the season has transpired.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

He was just laying there staring at the ref as he slowly got up. Yes, it was a penalty, but it wasn't called and your man is now wide open for the GWG. You play until the whistle my guy. Sedins got cross checked all game every game. They played til the whistle. 

Reminds me of Crosby in his first couple of seasons, I think Petey will mature out of this and physically strengthen where he needs to in order to stay on his feet.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Schenn gliding in gave him a shove.   The moment this isn't a hockey play, i'm going to stop watching.     For both players.   EP knew he was coming and showed him his back, was a good play for both players, bet St. Louis fans would be totally pissed, if they called it.     Even Tochett post game "Those refs are tops in the league" 

enough said.   Of course EP was trying to help.   My 18 year old daughter could crosscheck me harder.   Schenn ... I'd welcome him to our team in a second, he's exactly what we need. 

100%

those shoves happen all game long. Gives you slight separation and them being off balance makes it harder to prevent the pass or turn and stick check. 
The moment i saw the replay I was like nope nothing wrong with that, it wasnt like it was the Parayko on Mikheyev cross check.