PWHL...Any love?

Sativika

The intermission people are the only thing i find OFFENSIVE. Why are men not allowed to be commentators or anything? Like I understand men cant play in a woman's league but man, this is too far.

10 minutes ago, Tusk said:

The intermission people are the only thing i find OFFENSIVE. Why are men not allowed to be commentators or anything? Like I understand men cant play in a woman's league but man, this is too far.

Discrimination!  🙂

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I have no interest, not because it's a women's league, but it's because there's no Vancouver team, or even a western team.  Honestly if there was a Vancouver franchise I would totally be into it.  Just can't get behind Toronto, or NY, or Boston, etc

Are you not happy to see NY kick Toronto's ass? 4-0

Great to see Burkie being a leader in this. Just wish we had a local team to support. 

Just checked the numbers and NHL viewership by women is now 37% and rising, particularly with people under 40. So maybe this has legs. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I have no interest, not because it's a women's league, but it's because there's no Vancouver team, or even a western team.  Honestly if there was a Vancouver franchise I would totally be into it.  Just can't get behind Toronto, or NY, or Boston, etc

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Hopefully they come to Vancouver soon. 
My daughter would be so stoked to go see women’s pro hockey. 

I really hope women come to games and support the hell out of the league, because it is going to need them to survive. 

37 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I get that, but talk about isolating a huge chunk of North America.  

20 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Hopefully this grows and Vancouver can enter the league as an expansion in the future. 

Women's hockey is so concentrated around the Great Lakes and New England, though.  Some of the best players today (ie. Sarah Fillier, Hannah Bilka, K.K. Harvey) are still in NCAA, and so the east coast is getting spoiled with high quality hockey at all levels.  Hard to generate interest here when we aren't exposed to top tier collegiate hockey.

If Vancouver is to get a team, the PWHL needs to take a massive step forward and introduce a Pacific division.  That's the only only way the logistics will work.  Seattle, LA, Edmonton/Calgary all have to be on board.  I think the PWHL is right to start small and concentrated, where the fanbase and infrastructure is already there.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Are you not happy to see NY kick Toronto's ass? 4-0

5 minutes ago, 420Fish said:

Toronto wondering why they can't get goaltending in two hockey leagues now.

The average Torontonian: "hey look a new sports team in Toronto - perfect way to add more disappointment in my life"

15 minutes ago, 420Fish said:

Toronto wondering why they can't get goaltending in two hockey leagues now.

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The average Torontonian: "hey look a new sports team in Toronto - perfect way to add more disappointment in my life"

They will still sell out every game

4 hours ago, Tusk said:

Commentators should be trans only.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Am I going mad or are there no Team names, logos? Wtf. 

I think thats why they might get this off the ground, initially. or maybe there just aint enough money for all the fancy stuff yet.

But you should buy anything without a logo because it will be vintage one day

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

I think thats why they might get this off the ground, initially. or maybe there just aint enough money for all the fancy stuff yet.

But you should buy anything without a logo because it will be vintage one day

The logo and the merchandise would pay for itself IMO. 

20 hours ago, HKSR said:

18 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Hopefully they come to Vancouver soon. 
My daughter would be so stoked to go see women’s pro hockey

I really hope women come to games and support the hell out of the league, because it is going to need them to survive. 

My understanding is that the PWHL needed to get the ball rolling quickly. IMO they did a great job to get it off the ground and running. I mean, there's obvious observations right off the bat from watching the TO/NY game yesterday; no shots on goal indicator, no virtual TV advertisement on the boards and glass (An aspect of NHL TV broadcasts that some dislike!), less camera coverage , etc. Plus the fact that they don't have team names, logos, mascots or anything of that ilk.

It seems most of the swag is geared more to promote the PWHL. In time when the existing teams take off and the buliders address individual team identity and such, then it can grow. I'm sure they'll have more teams to represent. For now it's time to build what they have. Mo money, mo money! 

17 hours ago, Tusk said:

I get that, but its just starting.

Basically Toronto vs NY is like watching the Canada vs USA teams.

But one day these teams will be the "Originals"

17 hours ago, Tusk said:

another thing to consider, is the expense of travel. If this does take off out east here, I am sure they could create a Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton/Seattle/Colorado kinda league. East and West Conference/ 

I'm sure the PWHL has designs to expand the league. They've got a monumental task ahead of 'em to be sure, but they seem confident in their endeavours. Seems they can only go forward, but with what they have thus far. Get that in check and the rest will follow in due time. 

Honestly it's kinda' like opening a new business. Supply and demand. Ya' need numbers to be successful. The PWHL can supply. Now it's their time to promote the demand!

• Like 1

I didn't know about this:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/pwhl/article/pwhl-to-feature-new-shorthanded-goal-rule-three-point-standing-system/

I figured it'd totally follow the IIHF rules, but I'm glad to let y'all know, it's a kind of hybrid of both the NHL and the IIHF rules. Of note:

If a team serving a minor penalty scores short-handed, the penalty terminates.

- In OT shootouts, a player is eligible at any time to take any number of shots and as often as the team chooses.

- A 3-2-1 point system that differs from the NHL with three points for a regulation win, two points for an overtime or shootout win, one point for an overtime or shootout loss and zero for a regulation loss

Another item is body contact is totally allowed. Just not open ice Scott Stevens type hits. I guess the rest of rules regarding body contact follows the normal Women's Hockey Rules.

4 minutes ago, sassbs said:

It’ll be a matter of a few years before the players of this league start demanding nhl level pay!  

That'll never happen. The teams in this league wouldn't win vs the bottom teams in the CHL.

• Like 1