PWHL...Any love?

Sativika

3 hours ago, Sativika said:

I didn't know about this:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/pwhl/article/pwhl-to-feature-new-shorthanded-goal-rule-three-point-standing-system/

I figured it'd totally follow the IIHF rules, but I'm glad to let y'all know, it's a kind of hybrid of both the NHL and the IIHF rules. Of note:

If a team serving a minor penalty scores short-handed, the penalty terminates.

- In OT shootouts, a player is eligible at any time to take any number of shots and as often as the team chooses.

- A 3-2-1 point system that differs from the NHL with three points for a regulation win, two points for an overtime or shootout win, one point for an overtime or shootout loss and zero for a regulation loss

Another item is body contact is totally allowed. Just not open ice Scott Stevens type hits. I guess the rest of rules regarding body contact follows the normal Women's Hockey Rules.

well, we already know women are smarter than most lawyers.

2 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I feel bad for anyone who can’t appreciate what this is doing to grow the sport for all 

For sure. I just tuned into Ottawa vs Montreal two hours ago, and never turned away. It was competitive and fun as heck to watch. I'm somewhat biased, my daughter plays University hockey, so used to the womans game and it's differences from men's hockey. Give it a chance, woman are as competitive as anyone.

Edited by Rekker
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

For sure. I just tuned into Ottawa vs Montreal two hours ago, and never turned away. It was competitive and fun as heck to watch. I'm somewhat biased, my daughter plays University hockey, so used to the womans game and it's differences from men's hockey. Give it a chance, woman are as competitive as anyone.

i doubt it'll ever grow.. it's like womens soccer.. yes some are very skilled.. but even the most skilled women soccer player in the world wouldn't crack the lineup in top flight mens league.. i think the biggest issue for me anyways.. is it's not they are not skilled or competitive.. but the game is such a much slower pace.. it's too hard to watch when you are used to a much faster pace game.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

i doubt it'll ever grow.. it's like womens soccer.. yes some are very skilled.. but even the most skilled women soccer player in the world wouldn't crack the lineup in top flight mens league.. i think the biggest issue for me anyways.. is it's not they are not skilled or competitive.. but the game is such a much slower pace.. it's too hard to watch when you are used to a much faster pace game.

youre just being a shit disturber. Nothing wrong with that.... i find the games to be like watching olympic hockey I guess because with so few teams it kindof is. You only have the best players right now.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Tusk said:

youre just being a shit disturber. Nothing wrong with that.... i find the games to be like watching olympic hockey I guess because with so few teams it kindof is. You only have the best players right now.

shit disturber? u mean you? i have an opinion and i'm a shit disturber? weren't you the same guy that stirred shit up when the forum first started with your "hot take" and gotten ripped apart by the forum?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

So your argument is that because the players wouldn't get into the NHL there shouldn't be a women's league? By that argument there shouldn't be university level hockey because it's slower than pro level and almost none of those players would make the big time.

Or you can just admit you don't think women should be playing a "man's sport".

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

So your argument is that because the players wouldn't get into the NHL there shouldn't be a women's league? By that argument there shouldn't be university level hockey because it's slower than pro level and almost none of those players would make the big time.

Or you can just admit you don't think women should be playing a "man's sport".

No my argument if u read is it’s much slower pace.. it may be competitive and fun to play but it’s really hard to watch because you expect it to be fast when watching the sport. But it’s just way too slow pace and most of the time very choppy. 

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

No my argument if u read is it’s much slower pace.. it may be competitive and fun to play but it’s really hard to watch because you expect it to be fast when watching the sport. But it’s just way too slow pace and most of the time very choppy. 

Right. So like I said, no one should be supporting university level hockey since it is also slower than pro level and can be choppy at times. Or you can accept that the PWHL is not the NHL and enjoy it for what it is, just like watching Olympic play, or the AHL, CHL, Junior hockey, etc....

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Right. So like I said, no one should be supporting university level hockey since it is also slower than pro level and can be choppy at times. Or you can accept that the PWHL is not the NHL and enjoy it for what it is, just like watching Olympic play, or the AHL, CHL, Junior hockey, etc....

Supporting them and watching them is too different thing. I don’t watch women’s hockey nor university hockey doesn’t mean I’m against them from playing. The sport can’t grow if there ain’t much ppl watching. If you have kids playing hockey or girls playing hockey you might go to the rink and watch them. But no one is spending money to go watch women’s hockey if there are other choices. You might watch a little bit of it on tv, but how many of you are spending money buying their season tickets merch to support them directly? 

45 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Supporting them and watching them is too different thing. I don’t watch women’s hockey nor university hockey doesn’t mean I’m against them from playing. The sport can’t grow if there ain’t much ppl watching. If you have kids playing hockey or girls playing hockey you might go to the rink and watch them. But no one is spending money to go watch women’s hockey if there are other choices. You might watch a little bit of it on tv, but how many of you are spending money buying their season tickets merch to support them directly? 

It's rather arrogant to think that because you're not watching then "ain't much" are. I won't even get into "kids playing hockey or girls playing hockey" and how sexist that sounds (because you do know girls are kids, right?), as does "no one is spending money to go watch women's hockey if there are other choices".

I have bought merch for the PWHL because I want it to succeed, and haven't gotten season tickets only because I'm unable to get to the games currently; so your argument that no one is going to spend money if there are other options is demonstrably false.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Time will tell, for now though, the rinks are full. They will have a following and a fan base for sure. Lots of family, daughters at the game. Probably a segment of fans that are sick of overpaid athletes and if they attend, will be surprised by the product. You need to get over comparing it to the mens game, it's just different and if you ask the players they will say they aren't trying to be men hockey players. Their compete level is every bit there and it makes for great competition. It helps that TSN is doing a great job with it as well. I wasn't sure at first but after watching a couple games, this may work.

8 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

It's rather arrogant to think that because you're not watching then "ain't much" are. I won't even get into "kids playing hockey or girls playing hockey" and how sexist that sounds (because you do know girls are kids, right?), as does "no one is spending money to go watch women's hockey if there are other choices".

I have bought merch for the PWHL because I want it to succeed, and haven't gotten season tickets only because I'm unable to get to the games currently; so your argument that no one is going to spend money if there are other options is demonstrably false.

The women’s league is obviously the best female hockey out there. I’m not sure but I’m guessing it’s an affordable night out for a family. Not too sure how much the players are paid but they likely have other jobs after their season is done. It’s like the old times of the National league. Doubtful it survives though. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The women’s league is obviously the best female hockey out there. I’m not sure but I’m guessing it’s an affordable night out for a family. Not too sure how much the players are paid but they likely have other jobs after their season is done. It’s like the old times of the National league. Doubtful it survives though. 

Agree with your points Alf. Not sure how much it will cost to run the league with salary and travel. How much advert money can they generate? Kinda a feel good idea right now. I think their game is decent. Even if they can grow a local following that is big enough to pay the bills then it might give them time to establish themselves. It is like you said it might be a cheaper family option than other sports. World Cups and Olympics will help as well. 

• Vintage 1

Yet there's players in the CFL, and that league keeps running, even though the players make far less than the NFL. In fact players on the practice squads in the NFL make more than the starters in the CFL. A lot of CFL players work regular jobs in the offseason. If the CFL can survive, why can't Women's Hockey?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think it can survive if given an even shot, and that includes exposure by the NHL and actually having local sports coverage of the games. There are definitely fans of women's hockey out there - the product just needs to be made available. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet there's players in the CFL, and that league keeps running, even though the players make far less than the NFL. In fact players on the practice squads in the NFL make more than the starters in the CFL. A lot of CFL players work regular jobs in the offseason. If the CFL can survive, why can't Women's Hockey?

CFL is surviving because they are averaging about 23k fans per game and along with the tv deals grey cup week etc they generate about 5mil profit per team. Pwhl arenas are what? 8000 fans assuming u sell out every game? Outside of the fans attending the game.. and the very tiny tv deals/sponsors their source of revenue is very limited.. cfl still have some fan merchandise and stuff for revenue.. I can’t see there’s much pwhl merchandise being sold etc to generate profit. It may work for the first couple years while it’s new and there’s interest. Still don’t see it surviving long term. 

if you like watching women’s hockey that’s fine. I’m just stating my opinion on why I don’t think it’ll survive long term. I don’t think there’s enough source of revenue to keep a positive balance on operating cost unless there’s a decent size tv/sponsorship deal and they sell out the arena every single game every season 

Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2024 at 11:23 AM, Tusk said:

The intermission people are the only thing i find OFFENSIVE. Why are men not allowed to be commentators or anything? Like I understand men cant play in a woman's league but man, this is too far.

How so?!?!?!!???

On 1/1/2024 at 11:37 AM, Tusk said:

I am so shocked they are letting men be in the coaching. I guess that will go away eventually

This isn't shocking at all. Hockey is/was a male oriented sport. Who else did the pioneers of women's hockey have to look up to. Male hockey players of course.

If a girl back in the day wanted to play hockey, a league of guys was all they had available to them. Plus, since women's hockey is still somewhat if you will, in a grassroots type stage, the availability of female coaches are thin. 

On 1/1/2024 at 12:09 PM, Bob Long said:

Great to see Burkie being a leader in this. Just wish we had a local team to support. 

Just checked the numbers and NHL viewership by women is now 37% and rising, particularly with people under 40. So maybe this has legs. 

Did you see the stands in the last 2 televised games. Full! Lotta' kids. Lotta' girls and their moms and dads! This is how you grow popularity. The kids! It's like what's going on in the CFL lately and how the CFL was in the 60s and 70s. You get the kids involved and pumped. There's your future for success!

On 1/1/2024 at 12:13 PM, Miss Korea said:

Women's hockey is so concentrated around the Great Lakes and New England, though.  Some of the best players today (ie. Sarah Fillier, Hannah Bilka, K.K. Harvey) are still in NCAA, and so the east coast is getting spoiled with high quality hockey at all levels.  Hard to generate interest here when we aren't exposed to top tier collegiate hockey.

If Vancouver is to get a team, the PWHL needs to take a massive step forward and introduce a Pacific division.  That's the only only way the logistics will work.  Seattle, LA, Edmonton/Calgary all have to be on board.  I think the PWHL is right to start small and concentrated, where the fanbase and infrastructure is already there.

I don't think we're gonna see anything like this anytime soon. I'd be surprised. But it wouldn't surprise me if the PWHL big wigs aren't thinking about this already. 

One problem already exists and that's MONEY!  And they're gonna have to be smart with it. They know they gotta start small and keep up interest. So far, so good it seems.

There's no way on Gods green earth that top tier women players (Or lower for that matter!), be they North American, Euro or Asia, (How's that Japanese chick making out living and playing in Ottawa?!?!?!??) can play in a western location without a salary that makes sense. That's why the PWHL NEEDS to grow. 

IMO, if there were to be a Pacific Division, to begin with they play games only against each other within their conference. The playoffs all within each respective conference. Then the finals at a chosen PWHL arena much like the Memorial Cup or Grey Cup. This keeps travel costs down. Heck, they can fly back and forth for the finals as NHL does if they can afford to do so!

Point is though; the PWHL game has to grow in both popularity and in revenue.

On 1/1/2024 at 6:05 PM, madrigal77 said:

I couldn’t care less. It’s actually annoying seeing it mixed in with NHL news. 

Tell us how you really feel!😉🙂

20 hours ago, sassbs said:

It’ll be a matter of a few years before the players of this league start demanding nhl level pay!  

I doubt it. I think they're smarter than that. They know this'll take some time to grow. They're happy as sh*t right now to have a professional league at all of this ilk. They've waited this long. Now it's time to let it build momentum. 

20 hours ago, Joshua.Guy said:

That'll never happen. The teams in this league wouldn't win vs the bottom teams in the CHL.

What's your point!😜

Folks. I'm being facetious. Please chill if I got your hackles up!

Cheers.

15 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I feel bad for anyone who can’t appreciate what this is doing to grow the sport for all 

Bravo! :towel:👏

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Time will tell, for now though, the rinks are full. They will have a following and a fan base for sure. Lots of family, daughters at the game. Probably a segment of fans that are sick of overpaid athletes and if they attend, will be surprised by the product. You need to get over comparing it to the mens game, it's just different and if you ask the players they will say they aren't trying to be men hockey players. Their compete level is every bit there and it makes for great competition. It helps that TSN is doing a great job with it as well. I wasn't sure at first but after watching a couple games, this may work.

The stands did look full didn't they.  Proof that there's big interest in this PWHL phenomena!

Yea. Different rules, but it's still hockey. Good hockey at that. On all fronts; play by play announcers, analysts, panel included!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The women’s league is obviously the best female hockey out there. I’m not sure but I’m guessing it’s an affordable night out for a family. Not too sure how much the players are paid but they likely have other jobs after their season is done. It’s like the old times of the National league. Doubtful it survives though

Sadly their wages aren't that great. Here's what SN reported on such:

- The highest salary in the PWHL this season is north of $80,000, and each roster is allotted at least six spots for players earning “no less than $80,000,” according to the league’s CBA.  Exactly how north of $80,000 isn’t publicly known — players are adhering to league policy and not publicly discussing financial terms of their contracts.

- The lowest salary this year in the PWHL is $35,000 (no more than nine players per roster can be paid the lowest end), and the average salary per team is $55,000, all according to the league’s CBA.

Pretty sure they'll have jobs in the off season to supplement their respective salaries. Comparable to AHL and CFL salaries. They have second jobs too.

Why so negative, Alf? Dude. Of course you're entitled to your opinion.

Personally, I really hope the PWHL takes off. It needs to. An endeavour such as this can only be good and open more doors; not only for Women's hockey, but for everyone who has a dream! (Sorry. Don't mean to come off like a Disney musical! Haha.)

Edited by Sativika
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

The stands did look full didn't they.  Proof that there's big interest in this PWHL phenomena!

Yea. Different rules, but it's still hockey. Good hockey at that. On all fronts; play by play announcers, analysts, panel included!

There could be a niche market as far as ticket pricing goes, especially if you have a daughter in hockey, which I do at a high level. If I lived in one of those cities you bet I would take my girl weather she's 4 or 24. I can hardly afford an NHL game so what a great, affordable night out. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

doubt it. I think they're smarter than that. They know this'll take some time to grow. They're happy as sh*t right now to have a professional league at all of this ilk. They've waited this long. Now it's time to let it build momentum.

Knowing many woman in hockey from University to Team Canada. I can absolutely say the ones I know realize their place in the hockey world and their deserved salary. You are right that they are thrilled to have another option to work towards. 

• Like 1

Watching Minnesota play Boston. Good hockey, seeing the young girls in the crowd makes me teary eyed. I really hope this league takes off. It's not the NHL, but it's hockey and it's enjoyable and women deserve to be able to become professional hockey players and make a living off being a hockey player. Quite a few of the stuff on the PWHL store are sold out, I can't even buy a hoodie in my size sadly. So I think it's off to a good start. I really hope we get some west coast teams. I would love to attend a game. I don't have a daughter. I just think it's important to get more people playing and enjoying hockey from all backgrounds. Outside of just white dudes. I have a cousin who played hockey and I enjoyed watching her play. Hockey really should be for everyone.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Watching Minnesota play Boston. Good hockey, seeing the young girls in the crowd makes me teary eyed. I really hope this league takes off. It's not the NHL, but it's hockey and it's enjoyable and women deserve to be able to become professional hockey players and make a living off being a hockey player. Quite a few of the stuff on the PWHL store are sold out, I can't even buy a hoodie in my size sadly. So I think it's off to a good start. I really hope we get some west coast teams. I would love to attend a game. I don't have a daughter. I just think it's important to get more people playing and enjoying hockey from all backgrounds. Outside of just white dudes. I have a cousin who played hockey and I enjoyed watching her play. Hockey really should be for everyone.

It really is good for the sport of hockey.