PWHL...Any love?

Sativika

As mentioned; team names are only suggestions/proposals at this stage. I presume they're still workin' on it.

There's also a throwback idea regarding team names that they can bring back some of the team names from the defunct CWHL and PHF:

image.thumb.png.07ee4608fc2dba2cbdc617767eeb8829.pngimage.thumb.png.bcf245524d7470ff8256764905e94d85.pngimage.thumb.png.7b84b6286dc7f3975e03d7f3497bb626.png

Again, nothing's set in stone. Some of those names are alright though.

I kinda like some of the rules they have like the jailbreak goal, 3-2-1 points and the #1 seed going into the playoffs gets to pick their opponent. Admittingly I haven’t watched any of the games yet but the out of the box thinking may make the games more interesting.

I'm a fan of women's hockey too.  I played for about 17 years and only gave it up when I moved to a small town with no ice rink...  I watch a little but, even though I'm a supporter, I still find it difficult to get excited about these teams that are so far away and back east.  Once I get to know the players on the teams it might help me get more invested in the outcome of the games - and to pick a specific team to route for.

Edited by Sooey Steamer

On 2/29/2024 at 7:43 AM, 24K said:

I love how they using the 'golden rules for the draft position. No more tanking. 

Golden Rules?!?!?!?!? Hmmm. Perhaps I need a refresher. Uhhhh, what is it and how does it work?

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

Golden Rules?!?!?!?!? Hmmm. Perhaps I need a refresher. Uhhhh, what is it and how does it work?

Essentially draft order outside of the playoffs are determined by the number of points a team earns from games after they have been mathematicly eliminated from the playoffs.

This way team are have disincentives to throw in the towel and tank a season.

If we followed the golden rule, apparently the Canucks would have drafted Bedard or close enough to it. 

Not the perfect system as I think there needs to be some tweaks like a starting off points awarded to the teams that are so bad they are first eliminated from the playoffs. Maybe like the number of games remaining from the time if their elimination added to the draft point total and/or something else to balance out the conference strength. 

11 hours ago, Hammertime said:

The hockey is so intense to watch. I absolutely love it! Huge hits, fast puck movment, dirty dangles. This MTL TOR game right now is amazing. 

Yea. Regarding what I see with the on ice product, if you will...........I don't know if it's enthusiasm,  something to prove, compete levels, the 24 game season, or a combination of these and other things, but the all games I've watched have been intense from the get go. It seems these girls don't take any game nights off and seemingly are giving their all each game. Honestly it's refreshing. 

The PWHL game is visually different for sure than the NHL. They obviously look smaller cuz, well...they are! Yea. And obviously the rules differ between the two leagues. It seemingly looks slower because of such, but still the PWHL is fast 'n' furious in its own right. Entertaining for sure!

In a way we're witnessing a renaissance with the emergence of the PWHL. Think of it. I mean women have played hockey since they wore bloomers in the 19th century. Certainly it was a novelty to the general hockey luvin' populace. And then the pink jersey clad Canadian national women's team made a splash against other nation's women hockey players; people noticed. Still somewhat in novelty territory, but still noticed.

Women's hockey takes off!  Worlds, Olympic, Under 18, University/College women's hockey, Canada/USA rivalry, Wicky, Lamoureux twins, Cassie, Manon, Heany, Apps, Pounder, Botteril................................Well. you get it.  It's gone full circle and they're playing professionally. Yippeee!!!!!  

As I said before..................A renaissance. Think of it. They can now focus solely on living and breathing hockey. Train, think, and focus on the game cuz now, they're being payed decent coin to do it. Enough to have lives as well as play hockey. I know the salaries are a ways off from NHL salaries, but I'm guessing most, if not all PWHL players; this is their only paying gig during the season.  

So it's only natural that progress will march on and we'll see it all happening before our very eyes. Soon we'll be cheering on our own PWHL Vancouver (Insert team name.) team. And all women PWHL players will have salaries of six figure numbers minimum.  

I really, really want the PWHL to succeed. I want to witness this evolution of women's professional hockey come to full fruition in my time. That, and a Stanley Cup Championship for the Canucks, of course!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Haven’t been to a Canuck’s game in decades. Don’t enjoy the atmosphere. If we got a women’s team here the Alf’s would certainly go to games. IMHAO the crowd would be different from the one that goes to Canuck games. More families and less drunken morans. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Haven’t been to a Canuck’s game in decades. Don’t enjoy the atmosphere. If we got a women’s team here the Alf’s would certainly go to games. IMHAO the crowd would be different from the one that goes to Canuck games. More families and less drunken morans. 

Ser Davos Jon Snow GIF by BuzzFeed

• Haha 1

I watch about one a week organically, not planned out, but I have been thrilled with the skills, and find myself cheering on the underdog Montreal gals every time they play the Toronto squad. by the way HELLO NURSE, what a gem of a player! Too bad she is playing for TO. 

On 3/9/2024 at 5:37 AM, Sativika said:

The PWHL game is visually different for sure than the NHL. They obviously look smaller cuz, well...they are! Yea. And obviously the rules differ between the two leagues. It seemingly looks slower because of such, but still the PWHL is fast 'n' furious in its own right. Entertaining for sure!

I really, really want the PWHL to succeed. I want to witness this evolution of women's professional hockey come to full fruition in my time. That, and a Stanley Cup Championship for the Canucks, of course!

Cheers.

Couldn't agree more. Wanted to echo your 2nd sentence: My wife and I were watching the last Montreal and Toronto game and it occurred to me that size wise, it is like watching the WHL games i go to a lot, only the women's pro league has a higher overall skill level than the WHL live games. Felt like European Ice too, on account of the athletes being a smaller scale in general. I like the product and want team names!!! Hopefully they have that in the can by season 2. Montreal seems like my club, i am a big underdog fan and they might fall a tad short this year. 

18 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Couldn't agree more. Wanted to echo your 2nd sentence: My wife and I were watching the last Montreal and Toronto game and it occurred to me that size wise, it is like watching the WHL games i go to a lot, only the women's pro league has a higher overall skill level than the WHL live games. Felt like European Ice too, on account of the athletes being a smaller scale in general. I like the product and want team names!!! Hopefully they have that in the can by season 2. Montreal seems like my club, i am a big underdog fan and they might fall a tad short this year. 

Huh??!?!!? I would say Boston or New York are more underdog than Montreal. Montreal's been top tier all season. Regarding Boston, top dog scoring machine, Hilary Knight hasn't fared well thus far. She usually lights up the scoreboard regularly; just can't pot much thus far. Snakebitten for sure.

New York has a great team roster (As all six teams do!) but they just don't seem to be able to get the wins. Ottawa was the same. Lost quite a few by one goal. Though they've fared better in the latter few games. For now Ottawa is my PWHL team. Then I'll cast them off when Vancouver gets a team!:classic_biggrin:

".....short...." No pun intended, right?

Cheers.

Loving it so far. NHL could learn a thing or two from their new rules as well as some of the marketing deals they have done. 

100 percent this is gonna make the womans game better. They have a full time league which in turn will start to attract that european talent more and more. The talent level will rise over the years and the international game will improve even more. This league also has some great support off the ice with the ownership and partners, they have done this right! Looking forward to seeing this grow every season! Toronto needs a bigger rink though

Only downside I have seen thus far has been the merch. I like the league stuff but the teams are all the same and kinda bland (other then jerseys which got released) but I'm also thinking that may change onces teams have names and logos. 

Looking forward to one day having a Vancouver team. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Fucking killed it

Cool.  For sure. "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!"

An aspect of the PWHL is exactly scenarios such as this. Mass spectator singing and dancing to girl songs. 

I'm interested to be witness of the first fight in the PWHL. However I think a fight in the PWHL will be more of a spontaneous scenario rather than a planned situation.

You can see how the PWHL games are getting more intense as they near the World Championship break. A fight may not happen before then, but with the PWHL's 3-2-1-0 point system, the chase to a playoff spot will be very interesting post Worlds. I'm betting we'll see an increase in the physical play for sure.

I'm really liking how it's turning out for the league so far. Still got a ways to go for sure. I've heard there's talk of the lowest PWHL salary for next season will increase from 35 thou to 80 thou. Things looking up. Expansion's not an option yet. But they gotta get team names!

On 3/13/2024 at 9:09 AM, Sativika said:

Huh??!?!!? I would say Boston or New York are more underdog than Montreal. Montreal's been top tier all season. Regarding Boston, top dog scoring machine, Hilary Knight hasn't fared well thus far. She usually lights up the scoreboard regularly; just can't pot much thus far. Snakebitten for sure.

New York has a great team roster (As all six teams do!) but they just don't seem to be able to get the wins. Ottawa was the same. Lost quite a few by one goal. Though they've fared better in the latter few games. For now Ottawa is my PWHL team. Then I'll cast them off when Vancouver gets a team!:classic_biggrin:

".....short...." No pun intended, right?

Cheers.

Oh yes you are correct. I should have said of the traditional Toronto/Montreal markets, that is where my brain was when typing that out. My bad. 

On 3/17/2024 at 9:53 PM, Sativika said:

You can see how the PWHL games are getting more intense as they near the World Championship break. A fight may not happen before then, but with the PWHL's 3-2-1-0 point system, the chase to a playoff spot will be very interesting post Worlds. I'm betting we'll see an increase in the physical play for sure.

I'm really liking how it's turning out for the league so far. Still got a ways to go for sure. I've heard there's talk of the lowest PWHL salary for next season will increase from 35 thou to 80 thou. Things looking up. Expansion's not an option yet. But they gotta get team names!

I was wondering why they seem to be shutting down for almost 25 days before a final flurry of games in the season. Seemed like a very odd choice for inaugural season. Will fans forget the PWHL exists a month from now? Shrug. I can't wait for the playoffs, and I can't wait for team names, logos and real jerseys to be unveiled. 

On 3/2/2024 at 5:08 PM, 24K said:

Essentially draft order outside of the playoffs are determined by the number of points a team earns from games after they have been mathematicly eliminated from the playoffs.

This way team are have disincentives to throw in the towel and tank a season.

If we followed the golden rule, apparently the Canucks would have drafted Bedard or close enough to it. 

Not the perfect system as I think there needs to be some tweaks like a starting off points awarded to the teams that are so bad they are first eliminated from the playoffs. Maybe like the number of games remaining from the time if their elimination added to the draft point total and/or something else to balance out the conference strength. 

terrible system.. if a team is legit bad they'll stay legit bad for eternity.. say in the nhl the sharks are eliminated with 20 games left.. they win maybe 2-3 more.. a team much further ahead that say gets eliminated with 10 games left.. wins 3 or 4 games gets the higher draft.. so basically the system punishes the bad teams and rewards mediocrity.. at that point i rather the old system and team tanks at least there's a clear path to the rebuild.. this golden rule if a team is bad.. they might stay bad forever if they are constantly in the middle for draft picks and only the top 1-2 will make a difference.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:12 AM, wai_lai416 said:

terrible system.. if a team is legit bad they'll stay legit bad for eternity.. say in the nhl the sharks are eliminated with 20 games left.. they win maybe 2-3 more.. a team much further ahead that say gets eliminated with 10 games left.. wins 3 or 4 games gets the higher draft.. so basically the system punishes the bad teams and rewards mediocrity.. at that point i rather the old system and team tanks at least there's a clear path to the rebuild.. this golden rule if a team is bad.. they might stay bad forever if they are constantly in the middle for draft picks and only the top 1-2 will make a difference.

Hence I said I would have done it with a starting points based on how early they got eliminated. 

So per your example the Sharks will get 20 points from being eliminated with 20 games left and a team eliminated with 10 games left get 10 points. So this way the latter team needs ti win like 10 games to catch up with the Sharks which is not easily accomplished.

Also the rule I think is to dissuade teams from ever becoming so bad to the point where they will become perpetual bottom feeders so it eliminated feast and famine to further improve parity. Definitely easier to do that with a new balanced league than the nhl. 

Edited by 24K

On 3/22/2024 at 9:57 AM, Optimist Prime said:

I was wondering why they seem to be shutting down for almost 25 days before a final flurry of games in the season. Seemed like a very odd choice for inaugural season. Will fans forget the PWHL exists a month from now? Shrug. I can't wait for the playoffs, and I can't wait for team names, logos and real jerseys to be unveiled. 

Just as the IIHF World Junior Championships happen annually around Boxing Day, IIHF Men's World Championships in May during the start of the NHL playoffs, the IIHF Ice Hockey Women's World Championship Tournament is usually played around late March/mid April. They're in Utica, N.Y. this year.

Seeing as the PWHL's top players are slated to compete in the Worlds for their respective countries every year, it'll be interesting to know if they'll eventually have their own All Star week. Quite honestly, I'd like to think the International break for the Worlds would be their All Star showcase.

Why not. Different host cities around the hockey world every year; the PWHL along with the IIHF could make it a huge annual event. Another opportunity to have something uniquely PWHL!  Teamed up with the IIHF this annual event could be a boon for the PWHL; big money sponsors and such. Not just TSN but multi TV broadcasts all over the hockey loving' nations.A huge generator of much needed revenue. and just think. No stupid ass skills competitions and crap. Just hockey!

Holy sh*t. I'd be down big time. DO it PWHL. Are you reading this??? DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"YOU CAN DO IT!!!!"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quietly been following the WCs in Utica and it looks like another USA-Canada final.  Canada couldn't score against the Americans last game and I'm not optimistic for tomorrow.  USA is stacked with younger, faster players.  Bilka, Harvey, Edwards, Heise... it's scary when an entire nation's best players are all under 25 years old.