Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's the prime candidate.

But what if they go Kuz? It would give us a pretty deep D-core. May hurt the top 6 though.

Ideally Kuz goes for a top 6 FWD. Whether that is a deal to make a deal(like Zads, Bear) or otherwise.

What if we go balls to the wall and go for Lindholm and Tanev?

Mik-Petey-Lindholm

Hog-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Bleuger-Garland

Hughes-Tanev/Hronek

Cole/Zads-Tanev/Hronek

Soucy-Cole/Zads

That makes for a good top 9 and D-core. 

Not sure we can keep Lindholm though. 

Retain $1.5 on Myers to make Tanev's cap work. Can also flip Kuz+ for a top 6 upgrade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Retain $1.5 on Myers to make Tanev's cap work. Can also flip Kuz+ for a top 6 upgrade.

Do you think a better long-term goal would be to build an entire 2nd line to maintain the lotto line or just find a high-quality winger for Petey?

Building an entire 2nd line is harder to do but we get a higher quality top 6. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Do you think a better long-term goal would be to build an entire 2nd line to maintain the lotto line or just find a high-quality winger for Petey?

Build the second line all day long. Petey can't really drive a line or win face offs.  Also as of now he doesn't want to sign in van.  I wonder if horvats available hehe

Edited by ronning4center

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Really depends on what's available in my opinion. I know that's a rather blanket statement, but we can't really control what's available in terms of trades. As you have said, building a 2nd line is harder, but perhaps finding a high quality winger could lead to that anyway if it didn't work out with Petey. Basically, they might not need to be mutually exclusive options.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Winger is probably easier and cheaper to acquire. And realistically, I don't view the lotto line as a long term/regular solution anyway.

Ideally though, you'd probably add a RH'd 2C that can alternate face offs/C/W duties with Pettersson and allow you to situationally put the lotto line together.

But again, that's a perfect world, and the world is rarely that.

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

I'm not saying he doesn't know.  I would trust his opinion for sure.  I'm just saying he should be quiet about it in the press.  I don't even know if it was leaked or if he spoke publicly but it's better to not talk about these things until after a deal is done.  Even if we were pursuing Tanev it's better not to talk about it because the price goes up when they know how bad we want him.  GCG!

That's the other, where did this come from? 

Our media is so greasy here. 

Media: Quinn, would you be comfortable playing with Tanev?

Quinn: Yes

Media: Quinn wants management to trade for Tanev immediately or he will demand a trade.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Really depends on what's available in my opinion. I know that's a rather blanket statement, but we can't really control what's available in terms of trades. As you have said, building a 2nd line is harder, but perhaps finding a high quality winger could lead to that anyway if it didn't work out with Petey. Basically, they might not need to be mutually exclusive options.

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Winger is probably easier and cheaper to acquire. And realistically, I don't view the lotto line as a long term/regular solution anyway.

Ideally though, you'd probably add a RH'd 2C that can alternate face offs/C/W duties with Pettersson and allow you to situationally put the lotto line together.

But again, that's a perfect world, and the world is rarely that.

Yeah building an entire 2nd line is tough. You need to add 2 good pieces. 

Usually good top 6 lines have two good players. 

It would be a dream situation but requires a good cap situation which we're a ways away from. 

you know @stawnsy, one aspect here that we haven't touched on much is sentimentality. 

I'll fully admit that my sentimental attachment to chris tanev is half the reason I want him back -- but I also think that we're way too quick to dismiss the value there. team sports are inherently emotional and sentimental, they're about bonding and coming together to accomplish a common goal, and the only teams that ever win are the ones who want to win for each other. 

when chris tanev is asked about quinn hughes (I'll look for the interview if necessary but I'd rather not), he doesn't just say positive things, he gushes. he is the kid's biggest fan. they are still close, still talk regularly. 

tanny has also openly admitted that he never wanted to leave van and he was shocked the way things went down. 

when I think about teams that go deep, there always seems to be some emotional bond, something they all rally around that makes them greater than the sum of their parts. for example, in the bubble year, that group came together and became very tight knit while supporting each other through the deaths of 3 of their dads, and it's no coincidence that the team went to absolute hell when the 3 sons were all let go. 

watch the highlight of chris tanev eliminating the blues. look at the enthusiasm in millsy, the ecstacy as he embraces tanman -- that's not just "we're going to the next round", it's because it was chris who got it, the most important and yet undervalued and disrespected player on the team, the heart of the canucks at that point, the link to the past, and the guy they all knew they could depend on most. 

that guy coming back into this dressing room, the way this team is rolling, would be like a 10000v shot of electricity. the reliability and confidence he gives them on the back end, they would be absolutely bouncing. 

I need to see it. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I’d love to see Tanev back but not at the expense of Myers + adding on top of that. 

Tanev in, Myers out this still isn’t an elite defensive group. Then we now go from a physically punishing 2-3rd pair to something that’s a step back from that.  

Then we lose Myers’ offensive punch.  After Hronek, it’s Myers at 18 points and then we dip down to Cole’s 7 points.  Soucy is okay but Zadorov, like Cole, is also not a point producers. We all know Tanev is more like Cole/Zad.

Just an awkward fit all around - given the market to acquire him.   

Maybe if we flip Tanev in a trade around Cole.  But I’ve also been a big fan of Cole’s. It’s tough.

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Absolutely no to giving up a 1st. A 2nd plus prospect only if Flames retain salary.

I'm completely open to Tanev on our blueline to sure up a run in the playoffs, he would definitely help, but it needs to be right. We need options in the offseason.

We already have a 34-year old on D in Cole. He's only a one year, so Tanev could replace Cole next year if we wanted to go that route.

If we resign Zadorov that would be 5 dmen locked up and several guys on the horizon in D-Petey, Willander, Brusty, and Kudryavtsev. 

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I’d love to see Tanev back but not at the expense of Myers + adding on top of that. 

Tanev in, Myers out this still isn’t an elite defensive group. Then we now go from a physically punishing 2-3rd pair to something that’s a step back from that.  

Then we lose Myers’ offensive punch.  After Hronek, it’s Myers at 18 points and then we dip down to Cole’s 7 points.  Soucy is okay but Zadorov, like Cole, is also not a point producers. We all know Tanev is more like Cole/Zad.

Just an awkward fit all around - given the market to acquire him.   

Maybe if we flip Tanev in a trade around Cole.  But I’ve also been a big fan of Cole’s. It’s tough.

soucy is out 2 months, other guys are going to get banged up. as long as they can make the cap work (I'll leave that to brighter minds), they wouldn't need to lose anyone. they can get nice, managed minutes for everybody down the stretch and be healthy and absurdly deep going into to playoffs (knock on wood).

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

you know @stawnsy, one aspect here that we haven't touched on much is sentimentality. 

I'll fully admit that my sentimental attachment to chris tanev is half the reason I want him back -- but I also think that we're way too quick to dismiss the value there. team sports are inherently emotional and sentimental, they're about bonding and coming together to accomplish a common goal, and the only teams that ever win are the ones who want to win for each other. 

when chris tanev is asked about quinn hughes (I'll look for the interview if necessary but I'd rather not), he doesn't just say positive things, he gushes. he is the kid's biggest fan. they are still close, still talk regularly. 

tanny has also openly admitted that he never wanted to leave van and he was shocked the way things went down. 

when I think about teams that go deep, there always seems to be some emotional bond, something they all rally around that makes them greater than the sum of their parts. for example, in the bubble year, that group came together and became very tight knit while supporting each other through the deaths of 3 of their dads, and it's no coincidence that the team went to absolute hell when the 3 sons were all let go. 

watch the highlight of chris tanev eliminating the blues. look at the enthusiasm in millsy, the ecstacy as he embraces tanman -- that's not just "we're going to the next round", it's because it was chris who got it, the most important and yet undervalued and disrespected player on the team, the heart of the canucks at that point, the link to the past, and the guy they all knew they could depend on most. 

that guy coming back into this dressing room, the way this team is rolling, would be like a 10000v shot of electricity. the reliability and confidence he gives them on the back end, they would be absolutely bouncing. 

I need to see it. 

Then we need to wait until the TDL... we need to catch fire as close to the playoffs as possible. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Then we need to wait until the TDL... we need to catch fire as close to the playoffs as possible. 

I think timing it for coming out of all star, or shortly after, would work nicely, but i trust the group to read the room and do what needs to be done. 

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

If we resign Zadorov that would be 5 dmen locked up and several guys on the horizon in D-Petey, Willander, Brusty, and Kudryavtsev. 

I do trust that management is smarter than the last regime to figure this out. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I do trust that management is smarter than the last regime to figure this out. 

Yup, I'm definitely extending trust in them at this point. They've earned it!

Just to elaborate I think that would be a perfect situation. 5 solid players with some decent size, defensive acumen, PK ability, mobility, puck moving, skating, and offence out of the yin yang with Hughes and Hronek. Plus having one spot open for the upcoming youth that can be filled by a place holder during the two years that Zadorov, Tanev, and Soucy would be signed for.

That's a good situation for a young player to come into. 3rd line behind Tanev or maybe D-Petey coming in at 3 LD pushing Zads to the right. No pressure and less responsibility in the beginning. 

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 hour ago, tas said:

I think timing it for coming out of all star, or shortly after, would work nicely, but i trust the group to read the room and do what needs to be done. 

Best deal is during all star.Players have chance to settle.

• Cheers 1

I think you have to listen when Quinn speaks and with our defence surely being remoulded in the off-season (Myers wanting 4M, Cole a lot slower and older next year), we have to entertain the idea. After we acquired Zadorov I was happy but do whatever Hughes wants.

We could make a play for Tanev, probably won't cost too much and we could re-sign him cheaply to play on our 3rd pairing next year (and top PK unit). We won't be able to afford Myers in the off-season and probably should let him go anyway, and I'm not sure how Cole will do on a 1 year 2-3M deal a year older, whereas Tanev is a tiny bit younger so we could sign him to a 2-3M 2 year deal and hopefully let him retire a Canuck. You just know his luck, he'll get injured game 1 with us, but he's been very consistent his entire time as a Flame.

Question is, what would it cost? 1st + some 2M player for Tanev at 50% retained, but I don't know which 2M we'd want to lose from our team unless we have Soucy on LTIR long enough. I'd even do a 1st + B-grade defensive prospect (anyone not named Willander, D.Petey or Hunter), or heck give them Juulsen. Gives us some decent depth for the playoffs when you know we'll go down a defenceman, 3 proper NHL RDs for the first time in forever and most importantly, an option to re-sign someone for next year when we're going to have to make some big changes.

Playoff run:

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev (what an elite shutdown pairing in the playoffs)

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy (in and out even on a rotation)

Next year:

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Cole/UFA/kid

Two trades :
To VAN : C.Tanev  (x% retained)
To CGY I.Cole, D-Petey

To VAN : Monahan (x% retained)
To MTL : 1st Rd Pick (2024), L.Karlsson (They need C) + Futures considerations if Monahan re sign.

A big no.

4.5M?

He's like 38 years old.

Playoffs are more physical than he can offer to do. 

I like what we have in size and d already.

We've got 2 Abby d that could fill in as well. Wooly and Breeze.

We need a power forward.

If not a power forward a 2C for Kuz and Hogs. But I'd prefer a PF. 

11 hours ago, tas said:

I need to see it. 

Ray Borque is the story that really got not only a team going, but practically the entire fanbase/league rooting for them.   And they had some great teams in their way along the way.   Roy beating Broduer in a 7 game series, and winning the Conn Smythe again, was just as much fun as doing it for Borque, and watching Borque play perfectly for the last time was emotional, was still an excellent top pairing D (2nd in Norris his final season).  

Not sure what sort of boost Tanev will have in the ice, but in the locker room agree there will be some, and Tochett is going to love him.    Wouldn't be a bad idea, but think if we are going to win, EP needs a partner.   Our team D and Defense is so much better then last years.  

Tanev makes sense if we go into the playoffs with an injury.    Going in healthy though, who are we sitting?   Myers?   He was probably our best D last playoffs only guy who could handle Vegas's forwards anyways and that included Edler and Tanev.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1