Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I doubt Allvin parts with a 1st for Tanev, he'd surely much rather sign him in the off-season to replace one/both of Myers and Cole. I think he's happy with how his D looks right now and will spend that 1st on a center and circle back on Tanev in the off-season which makes perfect sense.

If we can get Tanev for a 2nd + prospect I'd do it because it'd be great to have some depth in the playoffs, pushing Soucy to essentially a 7th man and we could rotate him in and out of the lineup and manage the old guys (Cole, Myers, Tanev) better down the stretch, but a first is too rich for an 18 minute defenceman who's 33.

Zadorov gets pushed to the 7th man imo, not Soucy. He's gold.

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

, but a first is too rich for an 18 minute defenceman who's 33.

First things first tanev hasn't been anywhere close to as low as 18 minutes a game in 12 years. Second fact is that he is 34 years old.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yup, TDL rentals have not been that expensive the past few years.  Cap space is at a premium, so even though contenders want the boost for the playoffs, the cost/benefit analysis for them results in not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for a rental.

Some notable pending UFAs at last year's TDL (not all are rentals, but still shows how a pending UFA loses value):

Damon Severson went for a 3rd round pick -- we're talking a top 4 RHD here.

Max Domi and Dylan Wells for Anton Khudobin and a 2nd Round Pick -- Domi had 49 points in 60 games with CHI prior to this trade.

Tyler Bertuzzi for a 1st and 4th -- this was kind of a dumb move by Boston IMO.  Bertuzzi had 14 pts in 29 games with only 4 goals. 

Mikael Granlund for a 2nd

Patrick Kane for Vili Saarijarvi, Andy Welinski, 2nd and a 4th -- yup, that's it for Patrick Kane as a rental

This is why I think people are overvaluing how much guys like Lindholm and Monahan are gonna receive in return.  Probably could even say the same for Guentzel.  There's only so much cap space to go around, and contenders generally have so little to work with that they can't afford to even fit these guys under the cap limit without taking away from their current lineup.  If they have to take something significant out of their lineup, they're not gonna be willing to pay as much to acquire a net small upgrade.

Yup, exactly, big pat of determining return will be how many teams have the space to do it

Senators have interest in Tanev, he'd have to be willing to accept a trade there this season and be willing to extend there for it to happen though.

He's exactly what Ottawa needs though, on the older side or not. He'd help bring their goals against down, which could be the difference between them making the playoffs and being a bottom feeder.

Goaltending, coaching, and goals against have been the biggest reasons Ottawa's sunk to the basement. Though the Chabot injury certainly didn't help.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottawa-senators/latest-news/report-calgary-flames-defenceman-chris-tanev-may-be-on-senators-radar

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Senators have interest in Tanev, he'd have to be willing to accept a trade there this season and be willing to extend there for it to happen though.

He's exactly what Ottawa needs though, on the older side or not. He'd help bring their goals against down, which could be the difference between them making the playoffs and being a bottom feeder.

Goaltending, coaching, and goals against have been the biggest reasons Ottawa's sunk to the basement. Though the Chabot injury certainly didn't help.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottawa-senators/latest-news/report-calgary-flames-defenceman-chris-tanev-may-be-on-senators-radar

tanev will go to a contender this year, not a bottom feeder. what an insult that would be from conroy to move him to ottawa. 

if he wants to help the rebuild he'll sign there in the offseason 

On 1/26/2024 at 12:38 PM, aGENT said:

Move Myers, play Cole.

Hughes, Tanev

Soucy/Cole, Hronek

Zadorov, Soucy/Cole

Yes, that is another option. Frankly, I feel more calm with Cole defending than Myers. I'd normally say it would suck to lose his size, but frankly, he just doesn't use all that size so it's somewhat moot. In your scenario though, we have one less layer of protection against injury. Bit more of a gamble in that regard, but obviously the extra cap helps improve the front end.

So, either way.... 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

tanev will go to a contender this year, not a bottom feeder. what an insult that would be from conroy to move him to ottawa. 

if he wants to help the rebuild he'll sign there in the offseason 

Probably, but the Sens will likely be very interested in the offseason. I could potentially see him going there, he's stuck with Canadian teams thus far. 

Sens would only trade for him with an extension in place. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably, but the Sens will likely be very interested in the offseason. I could potentially see him going there, he's stuck with Canadian teams thus far. 

Sens would only trade for him with an extension in place. 

I can only see him going there to settle in if he wants to go back to ontario and retire, or if there aren't better offers. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

I can only see him going there to settle in if he wants to go back to ontario and retire, or if there aren't better offers. 

Dunno, I could see the Sens offering more than other teams regarding both cap and term tbh, he's exactly the sort of D they need. 

Sens can score, it's keeping the puck out of their net that's the issue, if they can sell him on his being a difference maker there it could happen. 

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, I could see the Sens offering more than other teams regarding both cap and term tbh, he's exactly the sort of D they need. 

Sens can score, it's keeping the puck out of their net that's the issue, if they can sell him on his being a difference maker there it could happen. 

I can see them offering him those things, but I can't see those things being his highest priorities. 

4 hours ago, Reznor said:

Yes, that is another option. Frankly, I feel more calm with Cole defending than Myers. I'd normally say it would suck to lose his size, but frankly, he just doesn't use all that size so it's somewhat moot. In your scenario though, we have one less layer of protection against injury. Bit more of a gamble in that regard, but obviously the extra cap helps improve the front end.

So, either way.... 

Well exactly, it's not like it's just swapping in Tanev for Myers, it also gives you more cap to use at F... on say Guentzel AND Bjugstad 😁

On 1/31/2024 at 10:18 AM, Coconuts said:

Tanev to Ottawa makes zero sense for Tanev

On 1/30/2024 at 5:53 PM, Coryberg said:

First things first tanev hasn't been anywhere close to as low as 18 minutes a game in 12 years. Second fact is that he is 34 years old.

yeah hes 34 more reason to get him... he will play harder in the playoffs...

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does he have a choice? 

His NTC allows him to refuse 10 teams. He could just put Ottawa on his blackout list and tell teams that he would prefer a trade to Vancouver....

My guess is that if we do a deal for Tanev, it will either involve one other team where Calgary eats 50% and team B eats another 50%, we get him for 1.125 million effective hit and we give up the picks to make it happen. Other option is we send Friedman + pick(s) to Calgary, move Soucy to LTIR to create more space and although I'm no cap expert, I "think" that would create enough room to be compliant for the rest of the year.

Under this condition, we wouldn't need to move anyone else out, we'd roll into the playoffs with a defense of:

Hughes / Tanev

Soucy / Hronek

Zadorov / Myers / Cole / Juulsen

That's a pretty solid D core.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

His NTC allows him to refuse 10 teams. He could just put Ottawa on his blackout list and tell teams that he would prefer a trade to Vancouver....

My guess is that if we do a deal for Tanev, it will either involve one other team where Calgary eats 50% and team B eats another 50%, we get him for 1.125 million effective hit and we give up the picks to make it happen. Other option is we send Friedman + pick(s) to Calgary, move Soucy to LTIR to create more space and although I'm no cap expert, I "think" that would create enough room to be compliant for the rest of the year.

Under this condition, we wouldn't need to move anyone else out, we'd roll into the playoffs with a defense of:

Hughes / Tanev

Soucy / Hronek

You wouldn't need a 2nd team involved, tanev at %50 for Friedman would do it (we would have to waive him to make room anyways).

Tanev at 50% is 2.25 million 

Friedman .775+1.86 cap space =

2.635 million total cap space

Only problem is they would most definitely want a first or equivalent value to that if they are trading Tanman at 50%.

Also your depth chart is scrambled. Cole is #3 in TOI among all canucks dmen but you have him at #7. Meanwhile you have Soucy who is #6 on the second pairing.

Judging from Tocchet's deployment with the current roster it would be a coin flip between Zadorov and Soucy for odd man out in that crew.

Edited by Coryberg

4 hours ago, Coryberg said:

You wouldn't need a 2nd team involved, tanev at %50 for Friedman would do it (we would have to waive him to make room anyways).

Tanev at 50% is 2.25 million 

Friedman .775+1.86 cap space =

2.635 million total cap space

We only temporarily have $1.86m in cap space because Karlsson has been sent to Abby for the all-star break. We won't be able to close out the season with 12 forwards, so when he returns (or PDG comes back onto the roster instead) we will ony have about $1m in cap space.

Running with 7 Dmen is a possibility, but we won't want to waive Juulsen to Abby to create more space because he would likely be claimed.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BPA said:

Apparently the ask for Tanev is a 2nd + asset.

I just don't see getting Tanev back. It was sad the way he left but Calgary's ask will be too high versus the cost. If it was doable I suspect PA would have got him along with Lindholm. I don't like Tanev's age or style. Blocking shots like he does is deadly for durability. 

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't like Tanev's age or style. Blocking shots like he does is deadly for durability. 

it's also the commitment and sacrifice you absolutely cannot go without if you ever want to win. 

12 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hughes / Tanev

Soucy / Hronek

I thought a players NTC was filed with the deal? Or is that wrong?

It's hard to say who Tanev would have on his list but Ottawa may not be one of them. He's from Ontario and it is a nice town.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I thought a players NTC was filed with the deal? Or is that wrong?

It's hard to say who Tanev would have on his list but Ottawa may not be one of them. He's from Ontario and it is a nice town.

I think it is done year by year.

• Vintage 1