Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I thought a players NTC was filed with the deal? Or is that wrong?

It's hard to say who Tanev would have on his list but Ottawa may not be one of them. He's from Ontario and it is a nice town.

NTC lists are done every year.  Usually July 1st or just before it.  Cuz that’s when teams can start signing UFAs.  

• Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's hard to say who Tanev would have on his list but Ottawa may not be one of them. He's from Ontario and it is a nice town.

39 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think it is done year by year.

24 minutes ago, BPA said:

NTC lists are done every year.  Usually July 1st or just before it.  Cuz that’s when teams can start signing UFAs.  

I just asked Peter Dorion. He said...

"No trade clauses don't really exist. Just trade the player anyways, not like the NHL is going to void the trade and take away a first round pick or anything like that."

😜

• ThereItIs 2

Just now, Breadnbutta said:

Doesn't he have an ntc? I can't imagine him waiving to go Ottawa if indeed the Canucks are interested 

10-team NTC, but players will waive them at times, we just saw Kuzmenko waive his for Calgary 

Tanev's from Toronto, it's not farfetched to believe he'd go to Eastern Canada to wrap up his career the same way Giroux has 

There's also no guarantee the Canucks will want to ante up and pay the Flames ask, or that they'd be able to beat the Sens offer if the Sens really want him 

Folks are quick to say he won't go to Ottawa, but I really don't think it's unrealistic 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EP40 said:

What assets do we still have that are enticing enough to trade for Tanev? What do you guys think J.R and P.A would be willing to part with?

No idea, but Dhaliwal said they didn't get Tanev on this deal with Lindholm because the ask was too much (1st round pick).  I'm still hoping for it though.   Makes the RHD solid and have two legit top D lines. PK too. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

At Tanev's age, he only has 2 or 3 seasons left where he could make a run at a cup ring. Ottawa is way back and pretty much already out of the playoffs, I can't see him accepting a trade to a team that's not a contender and I can't see any team who trades for him who are not a contender, doing so unless he's will to resign with them.

Personally, I think Ottawa is at least 2 to 3 years from being a true contender.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

At Tanev's age, he only has 2 or 3 seasons left where he could make a run at a cup ring. Ottawa is way back and pretty much already out of the playoffs, I can't see him accepting a trade to a team that's not a contender and I can't see any team who trades for him who are not a contender, doing so unless he's will to resign with them.

Personally, I think Ottawa is at least 2 to 3 years from being a true contender.

I guess they could do a crazy overpayment too? 6 mil aav or so might perk him up. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I guess they could do a crazy overpayment too? 6 mil aav or so might perk him up. 

It's "possible" but I think we're already seeing Tanev diminish a little. He's playing top 4D in Calgary, 19:40 per night, he's focused as a penalty killer.

Weegar: 22:14 per night average, 1:44 PP, 1:60 SH

Andersson 24:14 per night, 2:48 PP, 2:01 SH

Hanifin 23:30 per night, 1:36 PP, 2:17 SH

Tanev 19:40 per night, 0:04 PP, 2:39 SH

That's where he ranks in Calgary. He's only once completed a full 82 game season and that was in 2021-22. He played 65 games last year, 82 in 21/22, 56 in 20/21, 69 in 19/20 (yes, shorter season) and 55 in 18/19.

He's not going to become "more effective" over the next few years.

I would really love to see him back here, as long as the deal makes sense overall, including an extension. The style of game he plays, it takes a toll. I think there is a fairly substantial chance that he starts to really experience performance drop off.

My guess is, he adds all teams who are completely out of the playoff picture to his 10 team list as this season might be his last chance at a cup. He's only been in the playoffs 5 times across his career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Lot of smoke coming from Ottawa

The Sens GM should be fired immediately if they trade a first for a rental. Makes absolutely no sense.

Why would Tanev sign there unless they massively overpaid him. And even then why wouldn’t they just make that offer in July?

• Cheers 1

Would be funny if we acquired Tanev for a 2nd and a prospect and then traded Zadorov to Toronto for a 1st

Not that I want to trade Zadorov but to get Lindholm and Tanev and still have a 1st in the draft would be something.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

He's only once completed a full 82 game season and that was in 2021-22. He played 65 games last year, 82 in 21/22, 56 in 20/21, 69 in 19/20 (yes, shorter season)

Including this season he has missed 20 games total in his last 5 seasons. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The Sens GM should be fired immediately if they trade a first for a rental. Makes absolutely no sense.

Why would Tanev sign there unless they massively overpaid him. And even then why wouldn’t they just make that offer in July?

If they acquire Tanev it'd almost certainly involve an extension 

Depends on how set they are on their needing a D of his ilk, they've bled goals this season and Zub can't do it alone

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's "possible" but I think we're already seeing Tanev diminish a little. He's playing top 4D in Calgary, 19:40 per night, he's focused as a penalty killer.

Weegar: 22:14 per night average, 1:44 PP, 1:60 SH

Andersson 24:14 per night, 2:48 PP, 2:01 SH

Hanifin 23:30 per night, 1:36 PP, 2:17 SH

Tanev 19:40 per night, 0:04 PP, 2:39 SH

That's where he ranks in Calgary. He's only once completed a full 82 game season and that was in 2021-22. He played 65 games last year, 82 in 21/22, 56 in 20/21, 69 in 19/20 (yes, shorter season) and 55 in 18/19.

He's not going to become "more effective" over the next few years.

I would really love to see him back here, as long as the deal makes sense overall, including an extension. The style of game he plays, it takes a toll. I think there is a fairly substantial chance that he starts to really experience performance drop off.

My guess is, he adds all teams who are completely out of the playoff picture to his 10 team list as this season might be his last chance at a cup. He's only been in the playoffs 5 times across his career.

his skill set when healthy is undeniable, just pencil the dude in for some league best PK time. 

I don't want to lose a key prospect or another 1st for him tho. If it can work for some lesser package then sure lets push the chips in. But if it doesn't happen, thats OK too.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-leafs-aware-flames-price-tanev

CGY has informed Canucks and Leafs they want a 2nd and another asset for Tanev.

Get it done PA. Bring Tanev home..

I read he was part of the Lindy deal but Calgary wanted another first …

no thanks.
If true PA made the right call.

love tanev would love to see him sign here in the summer 

IMG_4163.thumb.jpeg.3064a59c888ac07a716180dcdbc56cd3.jpeg

Edited by Combover