Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

1 hour ago, Combover said:

I read he was part of the Lindy deal but Calgary wanted another first …

no thanks.
If true PA made the right call.

love tanev would love to see him sign here in the summer 

IMG_4163.thumb.jpeg.3064a59c888ac07a716180dcdbc56cd3.jpeg

Ya that was couple of days ago..

Today there's word they want a 2nd and another asset.. likely meaning a younger guy from AHL .. one of our almost ready guys ripening in the AHL

Edited by WHL rocks

44 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Today there's word they want a 2nd and another asset.. likely meaning a younger guy from AHL .. one of our almost ready guys ripening in the AHL

2nd 2025 and Bains ?

for an UFA in few month….

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

That asset could be anything. Like maybe Mynio ... but if they want Podz or Raty that's a "no" from me I think. Raty for sure I want to keep but maybe Pods, depending on what management think. They would have a better read. It would still suck to be without at least a second.

I really like Mynio too and I wouldn't really want to trade him ... but the more I think about it man would a solid RD shore everything up. Otherwise we got Juulsen playing, or Zadorov or Cole moving to the right side. Our NHL depth gets pretty thin after Juulsen.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DexM94 said:

2nd 2025 and Bains ?

for an UFA in few month….

Bains is too much. He's one of our top guys and closest to being an NHL player. 

I see Raty being traded as part of pakage for a RHD or a top Six winger by the tdl. 

I don't think we'll trade Podkolzin or Bains. Karlsson is a maybe but those 3 are better than Raty at this point. So we will want to give up Raty.  

does woo move the needle? i haven't followed his career that closely so I'm not sure how other teams would value him, but believe he plays on the top pair in abby and would represent a similar defensive mindset to tanev. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That asset could be anything. Like maybe Mynio ... but if they want Podz or Raty that's a "no" from me I think. Raty for sure I want to keep but maybe Pods, depending on what management think. They would have a better read. It would still suck to be without at least a second.

I really like Mynio too and I wouldn't really want to trade him ... but the more I think about it man would a solid RD shore everything up. Otherwise we got Juulsen playing, or Zadorov or Cole moving to the right side. Our NHL depth gets pretty thin after Juulsen.

I'd give up a finger (maybe not a thumb) to bring home the grease, so I'd piggyback any of those 3 guys to the airport, that's for damn sure. 

Tanev would put us over the top. Our center depth is the best in the league now. Our wingers are solid. Goalie's top-2. Top pairing is the best in the league.

Our bottom 4 D are great but I wonder how they line up against a deep offensive team or top talent like Vegas or Edmonton. I think they'll do well but Tanev makes matchups a cake walk.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Bains is too much. He's one of our top guys and closest to being an NHL player. 

I see Raty being traded as part of pakage for a RHD or a top Six winger by the tdl. 

I don't think we'll trade Podkolzin or Bains. Karlsson is a maybe but those 3 are better than Raty at this point. So we will want to give up Raty.  

I would not give Podz.

Karlsson could make sense tho, could unlock a salary retention. 
We should not let go Raty that fast. 

my vote is a 2nd(2025), Karlsson for Tanev with retention enough to make it works

Edited by DexM94

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just don’t know why we’d make a move UNLESS it was a long term one. Our defense is pretty good right now, and anybody we brought in w/o retention ( means more compensation) would mean someone going back the other way. Tanev is a good player, but he is injury prone when you play him top 4 minutes ( he usually goes down around now). 

For the compensation, I just stay with what we have; use Soucy’s injury to try some of our AHL guys and rotate Cole/Juulsen so Cole is fresh PO. He was lights out to start….but faded a bit with playing huge minutes.

the following doesn’t look horrible to me:

Hughes-Hronek

Zad-Myers

Soucy-Cole

Juulsen

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DexM94 said:

I would not give Podz.

Karlsson could make sense tho, could unlock a salary retention. 
We should not let go Raty that fast. 

my vote is a 2nd(2025), Karlsson for Tanev with retention enough to make it works

I’m not into gutting our second tier depth and picks for a slight upgrade if he stays healthy. I don’t see him as an improvement over 23/24 Myers nor Cole personally.

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I just don’t know why we’d make a move UNLESS it was a long term one. Our defense is pretty good right now, and anybody we brought in w/o retention ( means more compensation) would mean someone going back the other way. Tanev is a good player, but he is injury prone when you play him top 4 minutes ( he usually goes down around now). 

For the compensation, I just stay with what we have; use Soucy’s injury to try some of our AHL guys and rotate Cole/Juulsen so Cole is fresh PO. He was lights out to start….but faded a bit with playing huge minutes.

the following doesn’t look horrible to me:

Hughes-Hronek

Zad-Myers

Soucy-Cole

Juulsen

how many healthy defencemen did the canucks have left by the finals in 2011?

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

I’m not into gutting our second tier depth and picks for a slight upgrade if he stays healthy. I don’t see him as an improvement over 23/24 Myers nor Cole personally.

it's not about the slight upgrade, it's about the depth and the emotional boost. 

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Tanev would put us over the top. Our center depth is the best in the league now. Our wingers are solid. Goalie's top-2. Top pairing is the best in the league.

Our bottom 4 D are great but I wonder how they line up against a deep offensive team or top talent like Vegas or Edmonton. I think they'll do well but Tanev makes matchups a cake walk.

Who sits to fit him in; Hronek, Myers, or Cole? All three have played well this year, and Juulsen been great as depth. 

If depth is the target, there are cheaper options or look at some of our AHLers; where is Bris at in his recovery?

13 minutes ago, tas said:

it's not about the slight upgrade, it's about the depth and the emotional boost. 

I’m not sure I believe the whole “Hughes is asking for Tanev” bit. He is having a career year playing with Hronek; he offers Hughes more than Tanev. We are talking an upgrade to Myers on the second pair….and result in Cole in the press box. Great for depth, but would cost a lot to get done with retention. Remember, Cgy traded us Zad bc Toronto needed them to retain. My guess is they want a 1st from us for Tanev and retention….thats steep!

Edited by BC_Hawk

27 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I’m not sure I believe the whole “Hughes is asking for Tanev” bit. He is having a career year playing with Hronek; he offers Hughes more than Tanev. We are talking an upgrade to Myers on the second pair….and result in Cole in the press box. Great for depth, but would cost a lot to get done with retention. Remember, Cgy traded us Zad bc Toronto needed them to retain. My guess is they want a 1st from us for Tanev and retention….thats steep!

we don't need retention, and the ask has been made public. 

at least 10 NHL d required for a long run. 

edit: and it's not just a boost for Hughes, though they are still close friends, but the other guys who were here before as well. 

tanev is an inspiring teammate. 

Edited by tas

8 minutes ago, tas said:

we don't need retention, and the ask has been made public. 

at least 10 NHL d required for a long run. 

edit: and it's not just a boost for Hughes, though they are still close friends, but the other guys who were here before as well. 

tanev is an inspiring teammate. 

Canucks have 1.9m in space…Tanev is 4.5m. We could use Soucy LTIR, but then don’t see him until POs. We need retention or someone go back

6 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Canucks have 1.9m in space…Tanev is 4.5m. We could use Soucy LTIR, but then don’t see him until POs. We need retention or someone go back

We'd send Friedman down, so it's more like 2.7. just enough if Cowtown retains half.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

We'd send Friedman down, so it's more like 2.7. just enough if Cowtown retains half.

Yes, but what would that cost us? My guess it would be diff between a 1st and 2nd…then add on a mid tier or better prospect…..very rich.

as tad noted, he wants 10 dmen( though I say 8 options is fine; lose more than two top 4 guys ur screwed):

Juulesn-Irwin-Friedman-Hirose-McWard-Bris

thats 3 + guys that can play 3rd pair minutes. Not ideal, but if we lost two guys, Friedman and Juulsen are mighty capable….Juulsen and Friedman have shown they are capable of being decent regular 3rd pair. Our depth is good.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Yes, but what would that cost us? My guess it would be diff between a 1st and 2nd…then add on a mid tier or better prospect…..very rich.

as tad noted, he wants 10 dmen( though I say 8 options is fine; lose more than two top 4 guys ur screwed):

thats 3 + guys that can play 3rd pair minutes. Not ideal, but if we lost two guys, Friedman and Juulsen are mighty capable….Juulsen and Friedman have shown they are capable of being decent regular 3rd pair. Our depth is good.

yea the price for retention is just too high for us, I'd imagine. Unless Tanev is blocking all the other deals and Cowtown has no choice to come down on price. 

• Cheers 1

Don’t get me wrong; I’d love to have him back, I just don’t want to mortgage future to do so. Lindholm was our biggy.

now, would love to see a Schenn type signing on an expiring contract for a 3/4th with no retention

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

yea the price for retention is just too high for us, I'd imagine. Unless Tanev is blocking all the other deals and Cowtown has no choice to come down on price. 

Agree, but he would have been part of that deal IF that were case. 

My guess; to TO with max retention for a 1st plus a mid tier prospect

12 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He wasn't in the Abby lineup last night, so unless he's injured he wouldn't be a depth player imo. I think McWard will be the first callup.