Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

4 hours ago, tas said:

does woo move the needle? i haven't followed his career that closely so I'm not sure how other teams would value him, but believe he plays on the top pair in abby and would represent a similar defensive mindset to tanev. 

i highly doubt Woo moves the needle at all. he's not likely what calgary means when they request an asset in addition to a pick.

i think the most difficult part in arranging a deal for tanev is the cap; calgary or another team would have to retain salary on him.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dom said:

I'm positive Rutherford and Allvin go out and acquire another D. Whether that's Tanev/Walker/Lyubushkin/Peeke/Fabbro. I think we'll see one more deal for sure. 

interested in the first 3, not so much the last two. We have enough depth not to waste assets on Peeke or big head.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

He wasn't in the Abby lineup last night, so unless he's injured he wouldn't be a depth player imo. I think McWard will be the first callup.

Could be…my guess is we see a bunch of them up for a few games in Soucys absence; Cole will flip sides if need be.

Hopefully Bris and Wolanin can get back at it. We are thin on LHD beyond flipping Cole over.

Question: What are the possible Schenn like Additions around the league right now? Key traits; vet w/ PO exp, ability to play good d in 3rd pair role, expiring contract, and worth no more than a 3/4th round pick.

12 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Could be…my guess is we see a bunch of them up for a few games in Soucys absence; Cole will flip sides if need be.

Hopefully Bris and Wolanin can get back at it. We are thin on LHD beyond flipping Cole over.

Question: What are the possible Schenn like Additions around the league right now? Key traits; vet w/ PO exp, ability to play good d in 3rd pair role, expiring contract, and worth no more than a 3/4th round pick.

Bogosian

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Who sits to fit him in; Hronek, Myers, or Cole? All three have played well this year, and Juulsen been great as depth. 

If depth is the target, there are cheaper options or look at some of our AHLers; where is Bris at in his recovery?

Yeah tricky, I think Soucy and Cole goes on to the left and we do a bit of a rotation amongst Zadorov and Soucy.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy

Of course it's over-loaded but really in the case of an injury (which we have right now anyway). Excessive, sure, but this might be one of the few years we have all our prime players playing well and arguably well over their cap hits.

18 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-leafs-aware-flames-price-tanev

CGY has informed Canucks and Leafs they want a 2nd and another asset for Tanev.

Get it done PA. Bring Tanev home..

we cant afford tanev at 4.5m... we would need at least 2million retained...

thats why calgary wants a 1st...

we can likely get him for a 2nd and a 4th and say hirose or someone else.... which i say we do... we might as well go full all in...

Sounds like the asking price is a 2nd + piece or 1st. We could easily give them our 2025 2nd and some random AHLer, I'd do that in a heart-beat. Gives us incredible depth in case of injuries in the short-term and medium-term gives us a solution to Cole/Myers getting older/moving on as we can re-sign him for next year and possibly until he's even 35.

This year for the playoffs:

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy

Next year:

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen/UFA

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like the asking price is a 2nd + piece or 1st. We could easily give them our 2025 2nd and some random AHLer, I'd do that in a heart-beat. Gives us incredible depth in case of injuries in the short-term and medium-term gives us a solution to Cole/Myers getting older/moving on as we can re-sign him for next year and possibly until he's even 35.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy

Next year:

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen/UFA

yes... I like this better than signing myers...

But lets fill that rd spot with Hakanpaa at 3.5m... IMO hakanpaa is the better player for us, he actually is one of the toughest SOB in the NHL right now...

Edited by MidKnight Ego
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

yes... I like this better than signing myers...

But lets fill that rd spot with Hakanpaa at 3.5m... IMO hakanpaa is the better player for us, he actually is one of the toughest SOB in the NHL right now...

Good target, but do you think he warrants $3.5m? That's pretty steep. But it is cheaper than Myers.

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy

Next year:

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen/UFA

Another team that is short on their blueline (like the Laffs) would easily top that at the trade deadline imho.  Maybe the Coilers.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Good target, but do you think he warrants $3.5m? That's pretty steep. But it is cheaper than Myers.

yes i would say... hes playing about 19.5 minutes on the 2nd pairing on dallas... and is a elite PK dman too, so he is a perfect myers replacement...

*edit we would sacrifice some of myers mobility for the stable rock solid d play of Hakanpaa... I would consider him a younger stronger meaner cole...

Edited by MidKnight Ego
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Another team that is short on their blueline (like the Laffs) would easily top that at the trade deadline imho.  Maybe the Coilers.  

Really should have gotten him in the Lindholm deal, added a second and I'd give up Bains for a mega-deal (they'd have to retain a bit but worth it).

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Really should have gotten him in the Lindholm deal, added a second and I'd give up Bains for a mega-deal (they'd have to retain a bit but worth it).

I'm glad they aren't desperate.

As much as I'd like tanev I trust that this management wouldn't accept a lop sided deal.

They were probably asking for a top prospect or a young roster player like hoglander.

If what you Said was the ask I think that would have happened 

• Vintage 1

On 1/26/2024 at 1:04 PM, IBatch said:

Was nodding etc, until you said Green.  Have no idea, why folks still think it was somehow coaching lol.   We had a terrible roster.   Edler and freaking Tanev were our top pairing.   Eventually he got Myers, who's been a whopping post mostly until this year.  

How on Earth, are you supposed to be a winning team, during a rebuild?   We sucked.   Green wasn't a bad coach, he had a bad roster and punched above his weight class.   I'm sure he'd be doing just fine with the roster we have right now at their ages.     Prefer Tochett, but i'm not so naive to believe we could or should have done better either.    QHs, Brock, Pearson, a lot of players liked Green and thanked him for getting their chances.    It ended which was fine... Bruce had his bump which was glorious.   Green won more games than Crow did, in a single playoff, and that team was a lot better, Cloutier, bubble or not.   

It doesn't explain why Desjardins had a better winning percentage than Green, with a far worse roster though.

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.  

It's not a "sure" answer. I wouldn't be saying this if I couldn't back it up.

Here's Desjardin's record

image.png.adb532b8c49c8c87d09357e7e4a9f468.png

Here's Green's record

image.png.ed85de9758cf3d56eb343e4cbfe7fb9a.png

Desjardins had one clear winning season before falling off tremendously. Gillis was still around and it was clear that he was floundering as a GM post-Sedins. Desjardins overplayed players like Megna and Chaput, which is arguably a reflection of the pro scouting and our prospect pool at this time. These players were simply better than all the prospects we had in the system. Yikes.

Meanwhile, Green had the luxury to pick and choose his players every year. Benning actually accommodated those trades, whether that was right or not. For all the faults that Benning had as a trading GM, at least part of it falls on Green.

You can't blame Benning without blaming Green, but you can blame Benning for keeping Green. Green had shown absolutely nothing to justify extending him as a head coach, which was Benning did. Oops.

Edited by PureQuickness