Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

2 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

It's not a "sure" answer. I wouldn't be saying this if I couldn't back it up.

Here's Desjardin's record

image.png.adb532b8c49c8c87d09357e7e4a9f468.png

Here's Green's record

image.png.ed85de9758cf3d56eb343e4cbfe7fb9a.png

Desjardins had one clear winning season before falling off tremendously. Gillis was still around and it was clear that he was floundering as a GM post-Sedins. Desjardins overplayed players like Megna and Chaput, which is arguably a reflection of the pro scouting and our prospect pool at this time. These players were simply better than all the prospects we had in the system. Yikes.

Meanwhile, Green had the luxury to pick and choose his players every year. Benning actually accommodated those trades, whether that was right or not. For all the faults that Benning had as a trading GM, at least part of it falls on Green.

You can't blame Benning without blaming Green, but you can blame Benning for keeping Green. Green had shown absolutely nothing to justify extending him as a head coach, which was Benning did. Oops.

Desjardins was a Benning hire, no? Gillis, GM of our most successful clubs ever, was already gone. 

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Desjardins was a Benning hire, no? Gillis, GM of our most successful clubs ever, was already gone. 

Yes correct.

Pretty sure Gillis and Torts were fired together and then Linden was hired, then Benning then WD

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

It's not a "sure" answer. I wouldn't be saying this if I couldn't back it up.

Here's Desjardin's record

image.png.adb532b8c49c8c87d09357e7e4a9f468.png

Here's Green's record

image.png.ed85de9758cf3d56eb343e4cbfe7fb9a.png

Desjardins had one clear winning season before falling off tremendously. Gillis was still around and it was clear that he was floundering as a GM post-Sedins. Desjardins overplayed players like Megna and Chaput, which is arguably a reflection of the pro scouting and our prospect pool at this time. These players were simply better than all the prospects we had in the system. Yikes.

Meanwhile, Green had the luxury to pick and choose his players every year. Benning actually accommodated those trades, whether that was right or not. For all the faults that Benning had as a trading GM, at least part of it falls on Green.

You can't blame Benning without blaming Green, but you can blame Benning for keeping Green. Green had shown absolutely nothing to justify extending him as a head coach, which was Benning did. Oops.

Basically once Benning renewed Green. I knew it was over.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Bogosian

Now there is a great target; 850k and expiring contract. The team is better off with not over paying for Tanev, and Pursue him on a 2 year contract to replace Myers for nothing summer…...IF they want to do that (kinda like trying to resign Myers on a 2-3 year contract on the cheap; guy is never injured). In addition, I think they have every intention of trying to resign Lindholm depending on how it goes here.

The Canucks have a 3-4 year window that is just opening up, if they don’t bigger things up. They surprised this year….but let’s keep the trend going vs blowing our brains out on rentals. To use a Pete Carroll term, let’s “win forever”.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

2 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

Yes correct.

Pretty sure Gillis and Torts were fired together and then Linden was hired, then Benning then WD

I thought old Medicine Hat Willie was more of a Linden hire.. but extending Green past his shelf life was a “Benning stain” as you’d say.

One key thing we’re seeing with Allvin and Tocchet is the importance of communication and synergy between the front office and head coach.   For all his mistakes, communication seems to have been Benning’s biggest weakness.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

2nd and a prospect for Tanev is the rumored asking price? I think we can pay that tbh. I wonder if they're waiting to see if Toronto bites on a 1st rounder instead. Since they don't have any 2nds for the next 3 years.

2nd and an Abby player. Not Podz Bains or Karlsson 

I think Raty will get traded. He'll go as pat of package for a top 6 winger. 

9 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I owe @tas a beer if we do land Tanev...I kinda told him he's crazy and there's no way it would happen lol. At the very least you are half right buddy, they are/were trying to get Tanev in a deal. So props to ya. Maybe you're prophecy will come true.

@tas is a knowledgeable poster. I like reading his posts. I'll e-transfer you money for 2 beers if he's right and you two go out for a beer together...

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

I thought old Medicine Hat Willie was more of a Linden hire.. but extending Green past his shelf life was a “Benning stain” as you’d say.

One key thing we’re seeing with Allvin and Tocchet is the importance of communication and synergy between the front office and head coach.   For all his mistakes, communication seems to have been Benning’s biggest weakness.

This whole management team is stacked.. we see the players on ice 6 all stars but we don't see management and coaches..

JR PA the pro scouts the assistant GMs  Tochett Gonchar Foote Ian Clark.......

Stacked team top to bottom.... The players respect them because of what they have accomplished in their careers.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

2nd and an Abby player. Not Podz Bains or Karlsson 

I think Raty will get traded. He'll go as pat of package for a top 6 winger. 

My guess is management would prefer to keep Raty. I'm thinking Blueger being here was a stop gap for giving Raty one more year to develop before centering the third line.

I'd also think that we'd need more help on defense now too after we acquired Lindholm. A bottom six forward would likely make more sense, and cost us less.

20 minutes ago, ngoway said:

My guess is management would prefer to keep Raty. I'm thinking Blueger being here was a stop gap for giving Raty one more year to develop before centering the third line.

I'd also think that we'd need more help on defense now too after we acquired Lindholm. A bottom six forward would likely make more sense, and cost us less.

I think they'll add a RHD and forward 

Whi knows what level of players they'll be able to get. Might be depth RHD but they'll try for a scoring winger puck digger for Pettersson Lindholm line...

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Whi knows what level of players they'll be able to get. Might be depth RHD but they'll try for a scoring winger puck digger for Pettersson Lindholm line...

I'd say the team is more in need of a true first or second pairing defensemen as opposed to another top 6 forward.

We're also very limited in cap space, and would be wise to not spend too many of our future assets. I'm much more comfortable with our top 6 forwards as opposed to the gap on the second defensive pair.

Who knows what management will do, but my guess is a defensemen and maybe a depth forward for the bottom 6 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Wouldn't Hoglander fit that assignment? 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I owe @tas a beer if we do land Tanev...I kinda told him he's crazy and there's no way it would happen lol. At the very least you are half right buddy, they are/were trying to get Tanev in a deal. So props to ya. Maybe you're prophecy will come true.

it's no prophecy, friend, it's me exerting my willpower on the universe. 

i will not be denied. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

2nd and a prospect for Tanev is the rumored asking price? I think we can pay that tbh. I wonder if they're waiting to see if Toronto bites on a 1st rounder instead. Since they don't have any 2nds for the next 3 years.

but you don't know what the prospect is. What if it's Lekkerimaki or Willander for Tanev? You pay that price? 

No way for me. I ain't paying that for a 34 year old. 

24 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

but you don't know what the prospect is. What if it's Lekkerimaki or Willander for Tanev? You pay that price? 

No way for me. I ain't paying that for a 34 year old. 

it wouldn't be those guys, because those guys are more valuable than a first round pick. simple. 

3 hours ago, ngoway said:

I was at the Abby game Friday, Raty is no where near Blueger  level, this year or next.

Edited by Johngould21

2 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I was at the Abby game Friday, Raty is no where near Blueger  level, this year or next.

Probably about right since Raty is only 21. If he needs another year, that's okay too.

Blueger is likely still a stop gap for this year and maybe a few years if he's willing to sign on a good contract. That 3C spot though is definitely for Raty as long as he continues to develop.

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Basically once Benning renewed Green. I knew it was over.

Once Benning said “ I think we can turn this around quickly” I knew he was an idiot and we were screwed and In for years of stupid.

what did JB get for tanev again…. I still laugh thinking about all those that defended his every blunder. 

it'll be interesting to see if tanev wants to return to van in the off-season.

I think if they pa/jr were going to trade for him they would have by now.
unless whatever they offered stands and is better than what others are will to move in the next few weeks. 

PA JR seem to set a price or payment and stick to it don’t get caught up in the  auction winner mentality. 

40 minutes ago, Combover said:

Once Benning said “ I think we can turn this around quickly” I knew he was an idiot and we were screwed and In for years of stupid.

what did JB get for tanev again…. I still laugh thinking about all those that defended his every blunder. 

it'll be interesting to see if tanev wants to return to van in the off-season.

I think if they pa/jr were going to trade for him they would have by now.
unless whatever they offered stands and is better than what others are will to move in the next few weeks. 

PA JR seem to set a price or payment and stick to it don’t get caught up in the  auction winner mentality. 

For what it's worth, Allvin/JR said the EXACT same thing and we ended up in the toilet the next season. How people forgot about that. It was one of the reasons why I criticized them. They've obviously corrected their mistakes and figured out how to maximize the foundation they received. Then they masterfully added their touches with the additions of players like Joshua and later Blueger and Suter. They made an excellent trade with Zadarov with a low price (it's like Benning's Nate Schmidt but a player that ACTUALLY fit on the team). On top of that, they traded for Lafferty.

Yes, Allvin/JR made mistakes, but the important thing is that they learned from them. But we shouldn't forget the history.