Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I just cannot see Tanev back in Van. How can the Canucks risk his injury history on any deal that costs them a lot? He is a UFA this summer and will likely want a 3 year deal to finish his career. Canucks can't give him that. Would Calgary retain on his contract when they likely have other deals brewing which require that CAP space? I doubt it. Does Van even have $2 mil in CAP space? Don't think so. 

But would he want a 3 year deal? We can make all the assumptions and speculation about what he'd want, but we're not really going to know the answer to that. Maybe he goes for the biggest contract he can find. Maybe he misses us so much that he just signs here for whatever we offer. As wishful thinking as that may sound, we really don't know.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

To be fair, I didn't think PA and JR could turn this team around that quickly where we became Cup Contenders. Nobody pegged this team to be that at the beginning of the season. Not even the 'hockey experts'. 

Now, what Benning did - he actually said that he could turn it around quickly. I don't ever remember JR or PA saying that publicly. And there, I think, lies the difference. 

I didn’t think they could either I didn’t think they could completely revamp the d core and address so many of our short comings in such a short time in a cap era. 

However I knew we had youth and tradable commodities on our side this time when Jb took over we didn’t we were aged out  and void of depth torts said gillis said almost every pro analyst said.  

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You assume minor surgery could be done in half a year? Maybe that’s your fault.

They later amended it, to their credit, that it was major surgery.

So no, it's not my fault.

Their assessment was far too optimistic and they were a bit too gung-ho when they took over. And ironically, they praised the defense core, the same one that Benning was bashed about.

Nobody seems to remember that. And that's bad. My point out of this is that Allvin/JR made mistakes early on, but I'm glad that they learned from them and what we see now is their hard work on display. I've been very transparent about being critical about them in the past, but I am also giving them credit where it's due. I try to do that with everyone, including Gillis and Benning. They all had their good points and contributions, but we can't forget their shortcomings either. We can't make that mistake.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Willie D and Jim Benning definitely present as decent and nice folk. Allvin, JR, and Gillis seem the opposite. And look at which lead their clubs to success. Just want us to be tops in the league again like when Gillis was GM. If that means we have prickly pears leading the charge, then so be it. 

I met Jim a few times too, he was not particularly pleasant. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I just cannot see Tanev back in Van. How can the Canucks risk his injury history on any deal that costs them a lot? He is a UFA this summer and will likely want a 3 year deal to finish his career. Canucks can't give him that. Would Calgary retain on his contract when they likely have other deals brewing which require that CAP space? I doubt it. Does Van even have $2 mil in CAP space? Don't think so. 

He's been a lot healthier in recent years FWIW. He'd also be playing on a team that possesses the puck a lot more than we did when he left (which should also lead to less injury issues).

I could easily see us do a 2-3 year deal in the $3.5m-$4m range +/-. And I believe he'd be eligible for a bonus laden 35+ contract next year. He'd be a perfect stop gap as we wait for Willander to develop. That said, I don't want us spending any major futures on him. If we can't add him this TDL, it might have to be in the summer.

I believe we have just shy of $2m of cap space FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's been a lot healthier in recent years FWIW. He'd also be playing on a team that possesses the puck a lot more than we did when he left (which should also lead to less injury issues).

I could easily see us do a 2-3 year deal in the $3.5m-$4m range +/-. And I believe he'd be eligible for a bonus laden 35+ contract next year. He'd be a perfect stop gap as we wait for Willander to develop. That said, I don't want us spending any major futures on him. If we can't add him this TDL, it might have to be in the summer.

I believe we have just shy of $2m of cap space FWIW.

I would keep both Myers and Zad.

• Cheers 1

On 2/4/2024 at 8:58 AM, N4ZZY said:

I personally don't think they're going to go and get another difference maker for the roster. I think from here on out to the deadline, it'll be tweaking the roster, especially the defense. I'm also not certain what to make of the Zadorov rumours. Like where did that come? It doesn't make any sense to trade him and bring in a new guy with about 30 odd games remaing, and allowing that new player to get acclimated and used to the new system he'd have to learn under Tocc. I get the feeling, though, it could be contractual reasons for why Zadorov rumours are out there. 

Jim Rutherford did say that they're happy to stay as is for now and to just monitor the team (especially with the Lindholm addition). So very good chance we don't see any moves for the next little bit, unless they notice some glaring issues they feel they need to address sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I get the feeling too that Zadorov feels like he should be at least a 3/4 defensemen and maybe also feels like he should make X amount of money which could make it not possible for us to re-sign him. Really like what he brings, and hopefully he can find another level to his play with the coaching staff's help. 

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Wonder if Joel Edmundson is worth going after.

Big guy with a cheap contract and has been to the finals twice (one cup).

Him or Erik Johnson might be better more cost effective moves. Plus both have rings.

I’m buddies with Joel’s brother jesse and he moved out to Vancouver last year. Joel resides in Kelowna in the offseason I could see him being interested in coming out west, big mean and steady 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Captain insano said:

I’m buddies with Joel’s brother jesse and he moved out to Vancouver last year. Joel resides in Kelowna in the offseason I could see him being interested in coming out west, big mean and steady 

I live in the Vernon and it is shocking how many NHLers and ex-NHLers live in the area either full-time or in the offseason.

Hopefully as we get good again we can leverage that, for guys with families being a short flight or drive between home and where they play is a benefit.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Jim Rutherford did say that they're happy to stay as is for now and to just monitor the team (especially with the Lindholm addition). So very good chance we don't see any moves for the next little bit, unless they notice some glaring issues they feel they need to address sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I get the feeling too that Zadorov feels like he should be at least a 3/4 defensemen and maybe also feels like he should make X amount of money which could make it not possible for us to re-sign him. Really like what he brings, and hopefully he can find another level to his play with the coaching staff's help. 

Yes, why spend money on one position, incase another position goes down between the playoffs ?( best to keep your options open)

Were still playing at the top as we have from the start

So I like he said happy to monitor, which means he isn't against any move if need be

12 hours ago, ngoway said:

boy, next year's team feels like it's going to be a lot worse than what we got right now. 

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I really like Zadorov on this team but if he walks and we get Tanev while keeping the rest of the D, we're still in very good shape.

Only question for me is Tanev's durability. He is 34....

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I really like Zadorov on this team but if he walks and we get Tanev while keeping the rest of the D, we're still in very good shape.

I also think Zadorov probably wants more than his 3.75M that he's currently on. Question for me is whether he can play top four minutes. If not, then that's not good money being spent on a guy who's what? 28? 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I also think Zadorov probably wants more than his 3.75M that he's currently on. Question for me is whether he can play top four minutes. If not, then that's not good money being spent on a guy who's what? 28? 

More money and likely a lot of term. Play off performance likely tells the tale. He lives in Florida so nothing would surprise me. 

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Turning 29 in a few months and 10 years into his NHL career it's safe to say he is what he is. We already have a 3rd pairing dman in Soucy who is signed at the top of the 3rd pairing spectrum. With OEL's cap hit apex incoming we can't afford the luxury of paying 7+ million for our 3rd pairing.

He obviously isn't high as high of a priority as 4 or 5 other UFA's and we picked him up for peanuts so his leverage in contract talks is minimal. All of these factors don't bode well for his chances of getting a raise or a long term contract with us.

Hopefully for his sake he can ramp up his play in the post season while we go on a run and secure himself a bag on July 1st. 

Edited by Coryberg

Market may be waiting on Tanev to set the bar so to speak, lot of teams are interested. 

I mention all this because in talking to a few teams this week, there’s a sense right now that Chris Tanev might have a similar hold on the rental D market and how those dominoes fall. There’s serious interest in Tanev but only one team can get him. The feeling is once he goes, then teams will circle back on the likes of rental defensemen like Sean Walker, Alexandre Carrier, Tyson Barrie, Ilya Lyubushkin and Nick Seeler.

Again, as I reported last week, the sense is the Flames want a second-round pick plus another asset for Tanev, although if you’re a team like the Maple Leafs without a second-round pick for the next three years, I’m confident still in saying Toronto’s price to pay on Tanev is a first-round pick. I just don’t know if that’s a price Leafs GM Brad Treliving will want to pay or not. And if he does, I would imagine he would have some level of confidence he can re-sign Tanev before July 1.

https://theathletic.com/5254692/2024/02/06/nhl-trades-islanders-tanev-lebrun/

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Turning 29 in a few months and 10 years into his NHL career it's safe to say he is what he is. We already have a 3rd pairing dman in Soucy who is signed at the top of the 3rd pairing spectrum. With OEL's cap hit apex incoming we can't afford the luxury of paying 7+ million for our 3rd pairing.

He obviously isn't high as high of a priority as 4 or 5 other UFA's and we picked him up for peanuts so his leverage in contract talks is minimal. All of these factors don't bode well for his chances of getting a raise or a long term contract with us.

Hopefully for his sake he can ramp up his play in the post season while we go on a run and secure himself a bag on July 1st. 

Yeah, if he's wanting more than 4M, I think we'd have to let him walk into free agency. Maybe another team can afford to pay him that (Leafs?). Who do we find that is a similar defenseman? Defensemen like him don't grow on trees either. Big, mobile, and physical? 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Market may be waiting on Tanev to set the bar so to speak, lot of teams are interested. 

I mention all this because in talking to a few teams this week, there’s a sense right now that Chris Tanev might have a similar hold on the rental D market and how those dominoes fall. There’s serious interest in Tanev but only one team can get him. The feeling is once he goes, then teams will circle back on the likes of rental defensemen like Sean Walker, Alexandre Carrier, Tyson Barrie, Ilya Lyubushkin and Nick Seeler.

Again, as I reported last week, the sense is the Flames want a second-round pick plus another asset for Tanev, although if you’re a team like the Maple Leafs without a second-round pick for the next three years, I’m confident still in saying Toronto’s price to pay on Tanev is a first-round pick. I just don’t know if that’s a price Leafs GM Brad Treliving will want to pay or not. And if he does, I would imagine he would have some level of confidence he can re-sign Tanev before July 1.

https://theathletic.com/5254692/2024/02/06/nhl-trades-islanders-tanev-lebrun/

Imagine they pay a 1st for him, only for Tanny to sign with the Canucks. 

Damn. 

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

More money and likely a lot of term. Play off performance likely tells the tale. He lives in Florida so nothing would surprise me. 

How much more is the question, isn't it? I wouldn't pay him more than 4M, sorry. I love the guy as a player, but we need to build a team. I have to think PA and his team are in the process of identifying similar defensemen to acquire. Zadorov at 4M over 5 years? I'd do that deal. That brings him to 34 years old before he's a UFA again. Zadorov for 5M plus over 6 years? Hard pass. Let another team take that anchor of a contract. I can't see a contending team having room, so is he willing to go to a bottom feeder where he's not a winner? I guess rolling in your millions does have it's comforts. 

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Imagine they pay a 1st for him, only for Tanny to sign with the Canucks. 

Damn. 

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

It'd be entertaining, but I'd be surprised if they made such a trade without an extension in place

On 2/4/2024 at 10:26 PM, DeNiro said:

Wonder if Joel Edmundson is worth going after.

Big guy with a cheap contract and has been to the finals twice (one cup).

Him or Erik Johnson might be better more cost effective moves. Plus both have rings.

Yes Edmundson is a great choice to target, big guy with a mean streak too