Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

14 minutes ago, Combover said:

Get rid of Myers bring in tanev. 
better cap better player 

rid of one more JB mistake. 

i agree completely, but how many assets would come in to play?

that shinkaruk flier's favor must be up by now

if we can offload more cannon fodder like mikeyev somehow then so be it

14 minutes ago, Combover said:

better cap better player 

If we need to free up cap, that is how we do it.

Myers at his best has been an average D man, and he has long stretches where he isn’t at his best.

It is a repeater pattern that he can do OK in a sheltered 3rd pairing with the right partner, and actually be pretty good in that role.  If you move him into the top 4 and don’t have the right partner, then he completely falls

apart.  That was the case before he came to Vancouver as well.

I don’t feel like having Tyler Minors in the playoffs again.  We have enough size and snarl on the back end, it would do better to have a Tanev type of guy who can move the puck and defend.

Paired with either Cole/Soucy-Tanev pairing would be an excellent shutdown against the opposition and let you play Hughes-Hronek in more advantageous minutes.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

If we need to free up cap, that is how we do it.

Myers at his best has been an average D man, and he has long stretches where he isn’t at his best.

It is a repeater pattern that he can do OK in a sheltered 3rd pairing with the right partner, and actually be pretty good in that role.  If you move him into the top 4 and don’t have the right partner, then he completely falls

apart.  That was the case before he came to Vancouver as well.

I don’t feel like having Tyler Minors in the playoffs again.  We have enough size and snarl on the back end, it would do better to have a Tanev type of guy who can move the puck and defend.

Paired with either Cole/Soucy-Tanev pairing would be an excellent shutdown against the opposition and let you play Hughes-Hronek in more advantageous minutes.

I was just thinking this.  I think Tanev & Risto could work, both defensive first guys.  

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Risto

Zadorov - Tanev

Juulsen

Looks damn good to me.

• Upvote 1

I think Edmundson, Schultz or Scandella would be decent depth options for this year. As for Tanev, I think he's a perfect add for next year. On a 2 or 3 year deal to play on the 2nd pair with Zadorov it would allow the Canucks to develop Willander slowly but as early as next year. Playing next to a defensive stud like Soucy is almost the perfect scenario for this too.

Next year:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Juulsen

25-26:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Willander

3 hours ago, Combover said:

better cap better player 

I've been saying for a while move Myers for some minor assets, use that cap and some assets to add Tanev and Bjugstad.

Tanev + Bjugstad >>>> Myers

Mikheyev, Pettersson, Lindholm

Bjugstad, Miller, Boeser

Joshua, Blueger, Garland

Hoglander, Suter, Lafferty

PDG/Aman

Hughes, Hronek/Tanev

Cole, Tanev/Hronek

Soucy, Zadorov

Friedman, Juulsen

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I've been saying for a while move Myers for some minor assets, use that cap and some assets to add Tanev and Bjugstad.

Bjugstad, Miller, Boeser

Joshua, Blueger, Garland

PDG/Aman

Hughes, Hronek/Tanev

Cole, Tanev/Hronek

Soucy, Zadorov

Friedman, Juulsen

I don’t see us adding to the D group unless Myers goes.

makes me wonder if Friedman comments a while back about Zadorov being moved were actually about Myers. 
If we retained salary and then the flames would  get a guy in myers they could retain and flip for even more assets. 

It would be nice to  add a top six winger aswell as a stable reliable Dman

Doubt Myers is being resigned haven’t  even heard the suggestion that they’ve contacted his agent. 

but tanev I could see here for a few years. 

we will see what PA can get done with the limited cap he’s been pretty impressive so far. 

Edited by Combover
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bjugstad, Miller, Boeser

Joshua, Blueger, Garland

PDG/Aman

Hughes, Hronek/Tanev

Cole, Tanev/Hronek

Soucy, Zadorov

Friedman, Juulsen

Love to add Tanev but at what cost? 

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Myers and a 4th. Cowpies can extend Myers.

Wish that were true. But the Empties are saying we would need to use a first (2025 or trade Zadorov to TO for theirs?) and a decent young player, like Woo. 
Z to TO for 2024 first

TO 2024 first + Woo for Tanev.

And we extend Tanev and trade for his brother too. 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wish that were true. But the Empties are saying we would need to use a first (2025 or trade Zadorov to TO for theirs?) and a decent young player, like Woo. 
Z to TO for 2024 first

Then passeroo. Too high.

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Z to TO for 2024 first

I've also been on the trade for B. Tanev train. Would probably solidify Chris' decision to re-sign here.

Edit: Brandon's most recent contract was a JR signing too.

Edited by Zombieksa
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Zombieksa said:

I've also been on the trade for B. Tanev train. Would probably solidify Chris' decision to re-sign here.

Edit: Brandon's most recent contract was a JR signing too.

The Tanev bros would be perfect playoff additions to this team.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Tank said:

Brandon Tanev has one more year of $3.5 mil. We don't have cap space to keep him unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm aware of the cap space gymnastics that would need to take place, and someone like Mik would have to be moved to make it work. 

That said I love sibling stories so dare to dream! is my mantra. Both of them are like dogs on bones.)

• Vintage 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:54 AM, zduck14 said:

I think Edmundson, Schultz or Scandella would be decent depth options for this year. As for Tanev, I think he's a perfect add for next year. On a 2 or 3 year deal to play on the 2nd pair with Zadorov it would allow the Canucks to develop Willander slowly but as early as next year. Playing next to a defensive stud like Soucy is almost the perfect scenario for this too.

Next year:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Juulsen

25-26:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Willander

Not convinced that Zadorov comes back to be fair. But I can see Tanev coming back to Van in the off-season for a 2-3 year, as long as it's reasonable

Not sure how this management team will work through the cap. It's going to be really tight. Like some have said, I think that third line that's been sooo good for us this year. I don't think anyone except Garland, comes back. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If that's the price I'd rather look elsewhere 

Would rather not give up back to back 1st's

Agree. Chris would come in handy for the playoffs, but IMO. we good.  Canucks have to figure out their Cap for next year and make it work out.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Agree. Chris would come in handy for the playoffs, but IMO. we good.  Canucks have to figure out their Cap for next year and make it work out.

That's a joke for Tanev, especially with only 30'ish games left. 

A 1st? 

He's made of glass and he's a UFA. 

PASS! 

12 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If he could be had as UFA, sure. But we already gave up a 1st for a more needed piece in Lindholm, giving up another would be reckless. I know folks are excited but we need to balance trading and utilizing our top picks. 

We need to continue using 1st round picks ourselves regularly, so as to acquire talents like Willander and Lekkerimaki. Odds are we won't be drafting high enough to get a Willander level talent again for a while, but as players like Hughes, Boeser, Pettersson, and Demko take on larger deals being able to integrate cost effective RFA's and players on ELC's will be all the more important. 

Drafting and development will be key going forward if we are to maintain a sustainable competitive window. Throwing away 1st and 2nd round picks regularly like Toronto will contribute to a dearth of top tier prospects. Drafting isn't the only way to acquire young talent, you can sign uni guys and whatnot, but it's the best way to do so. 

The best way to acquire top tier talent is to draft and develop it. 

• Upvote 1