Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

Just now, stawns said:

That's why they need more good, young players on cheap contracts.  They need to be able to turn over the roster from within.

Willander is on our club in two years on his elc for the two 4.7 cap cost OELevator seasons. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Give Hughes what we wants 

To VAN

Tanev

Lindholm

max retention

To CGY

2024 1st (it will be almost a 2nd rounder)

Hirose (from Calgary)

Kuzmenko - they can keep or flip him for two 2nds 

Karlsson

Miller Petey Brock 

Milky Lindholm Suter - that’s a shut down line !

joshua Bluegger Garland 

Higz Suter Lafferty 

Hughes Tanev

Cole Hronek 

Zads Myers 

Soucy Juulsen

that team could win a cup 

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

To VAN

Tanev

Lindholm

max retention

To CGY

Hirose (from Calgary)

Karlsson

Miller Petey Brock 

joshua Bluegger Garland 

Higz Suter Lafferty 

Hughes Tanev

Cole Hronek 

Zads Myers 

Soucy Juulsen

I know Suter scored a hatty last game, but damn that’s a lot of ice time. Hope he can last in the finals…

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

To VAN

Tanev

Lindholm

max retention

To CGY

Hirose (from Calgary)

Karlsson

Miller Petey Brock 

joshua Bluegger Garland 

Higz Suter Lafferty 

Hughes Tanev

Cole Hronek 

Zads Myers 

Soucy Juulsen

If Kuzemenko could get you two seconds, we'd already have done that.   Devon Toews is the last player, that I re-call got  that from a top team (so late seconds).    Proven 40-50 point guy ... Defenseman.     If Alvin could do this in a  cap strapped environment...well I did think Beau and Zadorov was a freaky lucky move.   They should be able to get more than that you'd think, from the Canucks. 

Edited by IBatch

16 hours ago, QuinnNorris said:

https://apple.news/AM6SYbZcQT62mm0TraI2qPA

I hope this link works.  First time trying this.

Tanev was always one of my favourite Canucks.  Much like Bieska he bled blue.  If we are going for a cup I couldn’t want any other Dman to join our roster for this run.  It seems Hughes is advocating for this to happen.  Discuss.

Even for the Province that is hands down the worst article I've ever read. You don't know hockey well enough to even speculate on a trade you want chatGPT to do it for you?

The whole thing is speculation. It's a second hand story, with no confirmation. And did Tanev's name get even mentioned at all from Hughes?

Wow. I'm saddened for newspapers.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

2 hours ago, stawns said:

It's still a first and they still need prospects at that level........whether it's at the top end or bottom end of that round.  Trading that pick for a rental is an awful ideal.

Nothing is awful if we win a cup.  I'd trade the entire team next year, if the trade was a cup this one.    NYR beat us in 94, after trading away tons of good players, and despite being first in every catagory kept making trades.   I don't think we are going to have a better chance at a cup with this core, then we are this year and next year.   That's the math.   As soon as EP gets paid, we are on the clock until QHs does, and once he does (if he stays) it's game over.    We aren't a low tax team.    Highest bracket.   Highly dought(y) we will get close to the value that we are getting from Miller right now, and that Miller is the next Pavelski too, and dought(y), that our guys will leave money on the table.   Miller is the only guy to really do it so far.   Our first should absolutely be on the table.   So should next years.    

If we can find a partner for EP, that's cost controlled - do it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If Kuzemenko could get you two seconds, we'd already have done that.   Devon Toews is the last player, that I re-call got  that from a top team (so late seconds).    Proven 40-50 point guy ... Defenseman.     If Alvin could do this in a  cap strapped environment...well I did think Beau and Zadorov was a freaky lucky move.   They should be able to get more than that you'd think, from the Canucks. 

Wasn't Toews a cap casualty situation?

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

Having the puck in the other team's zone more often than not probably helps 😆

During our Presidents trophy seasons, the ice certainly was tilted at the other end of the rink (and it didn't help us in terms of injuries).  We should sacrifice Alflives to eliminate the bad mojo.🕵️‍♀️

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Wasn't Toews a cap casualty situation?

Absolutely.   Which proves the point even further.   Teams aren't going to bend over to trade for Kuzemenko.    GMs also know, that 2 seconds are better than one late first.   So NYI got better value from COL, close to a first and a 3rd really.    A small price to pay for Toews.   If it was only that easy! 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nothing is awful if we win a cup.  I'd trade the entire team next year, if the trade was a cup this one.    NYR beat us in 94, after trading away tons of good players, and despite being first in every catagory kept making trades.   I don't think we are going to have a better chance at a cup with this core, then we are this year and next year.   That's the math.   As soon as EP gets paid, we are on the clock until QHs does, and once he does (if he stays) it's game over.    We aren't a low tax team.    Highest bracket.   Highly dought we will get close to the value that we are getting from Miller right now, and that Miller is the next Pavelski too.    Our first should absolutely be on the table.   So should next years.    

If we can find a partner for EP, that's cost controlled - do it. 

Sorry, I don't see it this year and I hope the err on the side of history and plot a course that keeps them competitive for an extended period rather than one and done.  It is very rare for a team to win on a Cinderella run and the ones that do usually fall off right after.  

I'd rather follow the path of the bruins, avs, TB etc.  

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sorry, I don't see it this year and I hope the err on the side of history and plot a course that keeps them competitive for an extended period rather than one and done.  It is very rare for a team to win on a Cinderella run and the ones that do usually fall off right after.  

We both want the same things.   Like you said IF there is a trade for a cost controlled 2C etc ..  I've also been vocal against one year rentals.   Two would be fine.   I'd trade our first and Kuzmenko for Claude Girouix with retention.  In a heartbeat.   Give the boys a chance now, and plan for later.    Even better a cost controlled partner for EP, that covers the OEL stuff.   Whom not sure.    

I highly doubt, we are going to keep getting better.   It's going to be awfully hard, for Allvin to negotiate the minefield coming soon.    Will he go the Gillis route and try and lock everyone up?     It's not like Gillis traded a lot of picks either.   A first for Ballard.      IMO, eveyone is peaking right now, take advantage of that.    I'm pretty sure, we are going to be buyers. 

Edited by IBatch

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We both want the same things.   Like you said IF there is a trade for a cost controlled 2C etc ..  I've also been vocal against one year rentals.   Two would be fine.   I'd trade our first and Kuzmenko for Claude Girouix with retention.  In a heartbeat.   Give the boys a chance now, and plan for later.    Even better a cost controlled partner for EP, that covers the OEL stuff.   Whom not sure.    

I highly doubt, we are going to keep getting better.   It's going to be awfully hard, for Allvin to negotiate the minefield coming soon.    Will he go the Gillis route and try and lock everyone up?     It's not like Gillis traded a lot of picks either.   A first for Ballard.      IMO, eveyone is peaking right now, take advantage of that.    I'm pretty sure, we are going to be buyers. 

He didn't trade firsts, he just couldn't scout.  Had he been a halfway decent GM, they could have continued to keep that window of contention open.  Both JB and PA have shown they have an eye for talent (they meaning their whole staff) and those picks become even more important.  I have no doubt that PA's group will find a legit NHL player even if it's in the late first round

So many with stars in their eyes and desperation in their hearts.  Unless we want to endure a collapse on a gillis scale, they need to continue to accrue young, cheap talent.

Again, if they can get a young rfa C with that first, sure.  But not many teams are going to part with that for a later round 1st.  Eye on the long game, not the immediate.

Edited by stawns

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.   Which proves the point even further.   Teams aren't going to bend over to trade for Kuzemenko.    GMs also know, that 2 seconds are better than one late first.   So NYI got better value from COL, close to a first and a 3rd really.    A small price to pay for Toews.   If it was only that easy! 

Wouldn't that mean Toews was liquidated in terms of pricing?  We're not liquidating Kuzmenko... well, some people think we are, but I don't think we're gonna unload him for pennies on the dollar just for the sake of it.  If Toews wasn't a cap casualty, he would have cost as much as Hronek.  17th OA pick and 43rd OA pick. 

Anyways, like u said, Kuz isn't worth a ton right now.  I think he's probably worth a 2nd round pick.  Could be worth it for the sake of cap flexibility (clearing $5.5M off the books).

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Then we better make sure if we sign a guy to 13%+ of the cap that the player can carry a line on his own (a la Pastrnak / Mackinnon).  Either that or British Columbia needs to become a tax free province lol.  So far I don't see either of those things happening in Vancouver any time soon.

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

He didn't trade firsts, he just couldn't scout.  Had he been a halfway decent GM, they could have continued to keep that window of contention open.  Both JB and PA have shown they have an eye for talent (they meaning their whole staff) and those picks become even more important.  I have no doubt that PA's group will find a legit NHL player even if it's in the late first round

So many with stars in their eyes and desperation in their hearts.  Unless we want to endure a collapse on a gillis scale, they need to continue to accrue young, cheap talent.

Again, if they can get a young rfa C with that first, sure.  But not many teams are going to part with that for a later round 1st.  Eye on the long game, not the immediate.

Stars in their eyes and desperation in their hearts.   I'm pretty pragmatic about these things.  We have things in common, did 3 years teaching for Guelph, after I retired young, it was fun.   The math makes sense to try and do both though, isnt that easy.   JR has said they weren't expecting things to go like this, it's ok to pivot.    Just because some of us want to go for it, doesn't mean we are desparate.    TDL is aways from now, team knows it's not coming back the same next year too im sure.   Stawns it doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be both.    Unless we get into some sort of tragic injury issues, adding makes sense.    They can re-tool in a few years and keep it going.      We could actually make it work like the Hawks did too.    Flip guys for picks and capital.   The support guys. 

Do think it would be wise to try and find EP a partner.   Also think we lack a Patrick Maroon/Foligno, or if we have to go back to my era, Mike Keane, Claude Lemuiex type.     We could use a bit more of that.    TB traded almost their entire draft class..these guys still matter once the second (real) season starts. 

Edited by IBatch

8 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I see some people are over valuing our 1st this year. It's not going to be our typical top 10 pick lol. It's basically going to be a 2nd round pick unless things completely blow up.

Yes and no.

Yes, our 1st is likely to be middling at best and folks are probably overestimating it's trade value. 

No, it's not basically going to be a 2nd rounder. Things wouldn't have to blow up, even making a conference final isn't easy.

There's a better chance of us going out in the first or second round than there is we go on some sort of fairytale run.

Unless a deal makes a lot of sense long term we shouldn't be trading 1sts though.

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, stawns said:

For whatever reason, Tanev just can't stay healthy in Van.  There's no denying that 

he did his last season after he and the trainers and equipment staff revamped his whole kit. he's been mostly healthy ever since. 

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hmmmm ..   this is interesting,

the last 2 years (this and next season) of SIDS contract is a cap hit of 3 mil per.

we hold our next 3 years of 1st rnd picks and 2 second rnds..

06BAC3D1-1122-4E19-A928-0E9821E1E560.thumb.jpeg.4cc08d8451f2d5d890024166b62e3fa9.jpeg

That’s actual dollars paid to him. Not the Cap hit. His Cap hit is 8.7M

IMG_6205.png

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

the last 2 years (this and next season) of SIDS contract is a cap hit of 3 mil per.

06BAC3D1-1122-4E19-A928-0E9821E1E560.thumb.jpeg.4cc08d8451f2d5d890024166b62e3fa9.jpeg

Can't imagine Sid leaving PIT.   If this happened, we'd need to send Kuzmenko back and go all in.   Would be a lot like Ray Borque getting traded.   The only difference is Crosby has already won the cup 3 times.    Third party in for retention.   Well.   That's a thought I hadn't thought.    Talk about loading up! 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

That’s actual dollars paid to him. Not the Cap hit. His Cap hit is 8.7M

IMG_6205.png

If they are going into a rebuild,.  Perhaps they can retain a good portion of Crosby to make it work ?

Sure would be nice to see more of Crosby on the west coast ,.   There wouldn’t be an empty seat in Rogers or in other arenas out here..

The West would be lit.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I watched the vid, it’s just hypothetical chat by these guys. In all likely hood Crosby retires a Penguin.

But ya never know….

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Stars in their eyes and desperation in their hearts.   I'm pretty pragmatic about these things.  We have things in common, did 3 years teaching for Guelph, after I retired young, it was fun.   The math makes sense to try and do both though, isnt that easy.   JR has said they weren't expecting things to go like this, it's ok to pivot.    Just because some of us want to go for it, doesn't mean we are desparate.    TDL is aways from now, team knows it's not coming back the same next year too im sure.   Stawns it doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be both.    Unless we get into some sort of tragic injury issues, adding makes sense.    They can re-tool in a few years and keep it going.      We could actually make it work like the Hawks did too.    Flip guys for picks and capital.   The support guys. 

Do think it would be wise to try and find EP a partner.   Also think we lack a Patrick Maroon/Foligno, or if we have to go back to my era, Mike Keane, Claude Lemuiex type.     We could use a bit more of that.    TB traded almost their entire draft class..these guys still matter once the second (real) season starts. 

Of course it can, but you don't sell the farm for a one and done.  I don't think this is the year for them, but I think they currently have a lineup that can win a round of two or even win it all if everything right.  

Big moves rarely translate into a Stanley cup, but they do often pull the rug out from under orgs who don't quality depth in their system.  Gillis went all in, missed and screwed the org for a decade.  I want to avoid that at all costs, especially on our first real run at the cup since then.