All the wise asses who hyped the LA Kings pre collapse

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I challenge you to find someone who shares the views you do.  There should be at least one journalist or even someone like us who can vouch for your opinion of Evan Bouchard. 

All the words I see associated with him in news articles are "flourishing, maturation, dominating, unlocking potential, spectacular, Norris candidate"...  The words you're looking for are all from last year.

One article or even one fan.  That's all I'm looking for, Heffy.

Calling

ALF Series Final 25th Anniversary

:hurhur:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I stand by my opinion.  As you know, I have much less tolerance for defencemen who play like trash in their own zone than most.  Looking forward to seeing him cost Edmonton multiple games in the playoffs with teams loading up their stars against his pairing for the effect of a free powerplay.

I understand that.  I get your opinion the role of defencemen.  But what I'm also saying is that you should be able to at least find one other person who shares your opinion of either the D-man's role, or better yet the current performance of Evan Bouchard.

Finding someone who agrees with you or me doesn't make either of us right or wrong, but it does validate one's opinion.  And you have to realize how inflammatory and extreme your opinion really is.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I understand that.  I get your opinion the role of defencemen.  But what I'm also saying is that you should be able to at least find one other person who shares your opinion of either the D-man's role, or better yet the current performance of Evan Bouchard.

Finding someone who agrees with you or me doesn't make either of us right or wrong, but it does validate one's opinion.  And you have to realize how inflammatory and extreme your opinion really is.

This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his defence:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/stuck-in-neutral-horrendous-defensive-display-dooms-oilers-once-again/

Just now, King Heffy said:

Ah, come on.  I have already stated on record that Bouchard and the entire Oilers team looked horrendous at the start of the season.  Yes - he and everyone else deserved all the criticism.  You and I could've probably skated past him in the neutral zone.  In October.

For real.  This is January - obviously a very different Oilers team since they fired Woodcroft.  One article or even a reddit post/comment (from any team) in the last two months that criticizes Bouchard.

Well, luckily for LA, the season doesn't end in January.  In fact, they're kind of notorious for half-assing October to April and then finding another gear or two after that period.

Let's just let things play out.

@King Heffy In all fairness, you have found the highest profile detractor of Evan Bouchard: Mark Spector.  He certainly has a reputation in Edmonton.  But even he has changed his tune on Bouchard.  This is from December 9:

"Sure, Bouchard has some work to do defensively. But with this group, his offensive work is paramount. Elite forwards require an elite offensive defenceman, and at age 24, Bouchard is on his way to being that player."

As I said in my first post, there is no doubt Bouchard can improve his defensive game - which he obviously has been this season.  But his overall play is shutting up even his biggest critics.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

@King Heffy In all fairness, you have found the highest profile detractor of Evan Bouchard: Mark Spector.  He certainly has a reputation in Edmonton.  But even he has changed his tune on Bouchard.  This is from December 9:

"Sure, Bouchard has some work to do defensively. But with this group, his offensive work is paramount. Elite forwards require an elite offensive defenceman, and at age 24, Bouchard is on his way to being that player."

As I said in my first post, there is no doubt Bouchard can improve his defensive game - which he obviously has been this season.  But his overall play is shutting up even his biggest critics.  

I admit I'm more of an extremist, but I still think a defenceman who can't play defence does not belong in the NHL, regardless of offensive output.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I admit I'm more of an extremist, but I still think a defenceman who can't play defence does not belong in the NHL, regardless of offensive output.

so did you ahve that opinion of quinn hughes the first couple of years? coz he certainly couldn't play defence at the time

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's still overlooking the fact that Bouchard has significantly improved his defensive ability.  His neutral zone defence is better.  His defensive puck retrieval and movement is much better.  A guy like Tyson Barrie is significantly worse because he can't do those things defensively.

But at the end of the day, you're just putting players into an unnecessary box.  It's like Dominik Hasek - who cares how he plays as long as he gets his team wins?  And it is an indisputable fact right now that Bouchard is helping his team win games.

7 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Wait ... I thought January was the test after Christmas break.

The long road trip was supposed to be the test.

December was also supposed to be the test, too.

People said November was the test. 

October was also supposed to be the test to get off to a good start. 😉

Edit: If there is any month that's the test, it's this one with Boston, Winnipeg, L.A..

No need to panic.  This is only a test.  Everybody keep calm.

Walk don't run.  Remember, single-file.  One team at a time.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so did you ahve that opinion of quinn hughes the first couple of years? coz he certainly couldn't play defence at the time

I definitely thought he was rushed and could have used some time in the AHL to work on his D.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I definitely thought he was rushed and could have used some time in the AHL to work on his D.

A player doesn't need to be demoted to the AHL to work on his D.  He figured that part out just fine while playing top minutes against the best players in the world.

image.png.77ce8dd897d7d70b1ff2dd2b3d80c18a.png

Rushed players don't get nominated for the Calder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Getting lucky 15 games in a row 🤪

It's okay to hate them and also admit they are playing good hockey right now. 

The Kings, on the other hand...

I like this banter.  Here we are discussing which teams in our division suck the most, or worst, or whatever the Marchand they're doing.

This is much better than last year, and the year before, and the year before.  How 'bout Calgary?

Used to be all this moaning over Markstrom and Tanev and how FN Calgary was.  Yeah this is better.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I like this banter.  Here we are discussing which teams in our division suck the most, or worst, or whatever the Marchand they're doing.

This is much better than last year, and the year before, and the year before.  How 'bout Calgary?

Used to be all this moaning over Markstrom and Tanev and how FN Calgary was.  Yeah this is better.

Jacob Markström was playing like an all-star in December and January before he went down with a small injury.  Since then the Flames have returned to their old ways, even after Marky came back.

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Jacob Markström was playing like an all-star in December and January before he went down with a small injury.  Since then the Flames have returned to their old ways, even after Marky came back.

Benning made the right choice keeping Demko and that's that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

A player doesn't need to be demoted to the AHL to work on his D.  He figured that part out just fine while playing top minutes against the best players in the world.

image.png.77ce8dd897d7d70b1ff2dd2b3d80c18a.png

Rushed players don't get nominated for the Calder.

Thought, as in past tense.  I admit it wasn't necessary in that case.  However, I do think the AHL is the best place for defencemen to learn how to play D.

2 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Benning made the right choice keeping Demko and that's that.

That's an oversimplification and you know it.  Markström has done perfectly well for himself in Calgary.  He's had some injury concerns and some down years, but nobody is complaining with his overall level of play.  Yes, Benning was 100% right to choose Demko.  But Markström was also 100% right to walk away.

Look at it this way.  Only one of those two goalies have been in the playoffs since the bubble.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

That's an oversimplification and you know it.  Markström has done perfectly well for himself in Calgary.  He's had some injury concerns and some down years, but nobody is complaining with his overall level of play.  Yes, Benning was 100% right to choose Demko.  But Markström was also 100% right to walk away.

Look at it this way.  Only one of those two goalies have been in the playoffs since the bubble.

Facts are facts is also an oversimplification, at best.  Your example excludes the Nux Bubble Playoffs by definition.

My point is people moaned about Markstrom and Tanev endlessly and now it is so much better without those moans.

Nothing about who is better, just what is better.  What is better is enjoying the Canucks successes than listening to that.

PS I love you. jk.  I do really like your posts though.  Good stuff.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Facts are facts is also an oversimplification, at best.  Your example excludes the Nux Bubble Playoffs by definition.

My point is people moaned about Markstrom and Tanev endlessly and now it is so much better without those moans.

Nothing about who is better, just what is better.  What is better is enjoying the Canucks successes than listening to that.

PS I love you. jk.  I do really like your posts though.  Good stuff.

I mean, it's reported that our captain has also been moaning about Tanev these days.

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Bouchard would be lucky to make a good ECHL team.  The way he plays in his own zone is simply unacceptable on any legit NHL roster.  He's worse than useless and has shown zero sign of being willing to learn how to play his position.

Since when, do NHL D's, come into the league and not get better.   Had serious concerns for both Hedican and Aucion when they started playing for use (trade/draft),  they certainly both got a lot better and more rounded.    Watching the London games, it was obvious Bouchard was a special player.     Look how long it took Carlson in WSH to figure it out.   Same age as QHs, still 3-4 years away from his peak.    Mike Green 2.0?   Maybe.   

Edit:  Hedican was often out of position and an adventure in his own zone.    By the time he was in his 30's, was an important part of a great CAR team.   Aucion took a few years then found his shot - and later flirted with a Norris trophy season in NYI.   Point is,   D's usually play their best hockey 27-34, the good ones anyways.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Bouchard would be lucky to make a good ECHL team.  The way he plays in his own zone is simply unacceptable on any legit NHL roster.  He's worse than useless and has shown zero sign of being willing to learn how to play his position.

Not his fault. As a boy, he was kicked in the head while milking a cow - twice! 

• Haha 1