★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No the team isn't a Cup contender

Cup favourites? No. Cup contender? Absolutely. If the Canucks aren't Cup contenders, explain to me why they are not Cup "contenders". What a silly comment. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bhoodlum said:

He said reminds. Not that Suter is an exact copy.

Yeah thats fine, I don't see Suter like Craven.  Morrison reminded me more of Craven.  Suter is a bottom 6 guy even though he has played well the last couple games.  Craven and Morrison are top 6 guys.

8 hours ago, Kragar said:

I was so worried about him. He had some good play up on the big team, that seeing him so long in Abby was a little scary.

Sounds like it could work out great, and if his next contract is kept low, he could really over-perform his AAV when he stays up with the team.

I think what PIT has done well in the past is let their prospects marinate until they're ready to burst onto the NHL scene.  Hopefully we are doing the same now...

• Upvote 2

So on the 5 min major call, do the refs not talk to the league when they go to the review process? So it was the NHL that made the wrong call not the refs if that’s the case.

This is exactly the kind of crap the bush league NHL will pull come playoff time.

Edited by Kage17
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Gotta cash in on that one niche. Not much to talk about with the team, given Calgary is trying to trade everyone. Does make you appreciate how much of a warrior he is though. Keeps laying the body down even at this age. We should pick him up or something.

It's a double edged sword. Taney is a heart and sole guy, but he puts himself in too many dangerous positions. 

Don't need him out for 6 weeks because he blocked 1 shot. Although his injury record is much better with calgary.

As a low cost rental maybe, but if they do a sign and trade that makes me really nervous.

As we watched the second period last night, I couldn't help but think how much that effort matched years past. The all stars were the cause of 4 goals in the game, but again this year is not like any other year in the City. The core made up for their blunders in spades..

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I do hope he'll join big club during playoffs.

Yeah that's always a good thing.  Gives them a taste when the play is way more intense so when they play in the regular season they excel.

33 minutes ago, DelPiLeo said:

I was about to stop watching the game after the second period and glad that I didn’t.

I always give them the first 10min of the 3rd to see how they respond.  If the effort sucks, then I goto bed lol

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Ugly game, but man, people need to chill out. Jesus. 

Canucks down 4-1 in the second and people were calling for bag skates, "this team is doomed," etc. Holy Christ guys, even with a loss, the Canucks would have still been first in the Pacific and gone 7-1-2 over there last 10.  That'd been 1 regulation loss. Fuckin' relax. 

Anyways, moot point now. Canucks got the two points. Well-deserved break for the team after an 8-0-2 stretch. 

Ugly second, but two great periods otherwise.  That said, they've got to get back to getting the first goal.........there are few things more deflating to a team than dominating, having nothing to show for it and then giving up a goal.  That's why we see a quick second goal so many times in those situations.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

Great way to go into the bye week and the all-star break!

1. Boeser was obviously the star of the game with a hat-trick, getting to 30 goals for the first time in his career.  Most of the scoring came on the PP, with one goal in OT, but Boeser was also very good at 5-on-5 with the Canucks outshooting the Jackets 13-2 at 5-on-5 with Boeser on the ice.

2. There was a redemption theme for both Petey and Miller. It looked like Petey's give-away on the PP that led to a Columbus short-handed goal was going to be the turning point in the game. The Canucks had dominated before that but did not score and the air seemed to go out of the balloon after the shorty. The Canucks got a nice goal from Boeser (on a great pass from Miller) to close the gap but then Miller made a terrible, lazy, defensive play that led to the 3rd Columbus goal. 

3. But both Petey and Miller came back strong in the 3rd period and played great, leading the comeback, with Petey getting the OT winner.

4. Hughes was not named a star but he was excellent.

5. In the advanced stats both the Miller-Suter-Boeser line and the Garland-Joshua-Blueger line had very good numbers even though the Garland line did not score. Overall, the Canucks dominated the game in terms of the underlying stats but the game ended up being close because of some bad luck, some bad mistakes, and subpar goaltending from Demmer (although he also made some big saves).

5. The Petey-Kuzy-Mik line was not good. Not terrible but not good. They were outshot 4-1 at 5-on-5. That means not much was happening when they were on the ice. Kuzy continues to play responsible defence but seem unable to generate offence. Mik has always been good defensively but is also struggling offensively. Still, I would continue to play those guys together. Their individual skill levels suggest that they have to be much better than they have shown so far.

6. Big PK on Myers 5-minute major.  Juulsen had another good night overall.

It was an emotional game but we (fans and players) have time rest up.

Thank you, James, much appreciated summary. I would add that on the first goal, Boeser showed the great acceleration to get ahead of a defenseman (Peeke I think)

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, TheWhiskeyPickle said:

Anyone else find that we’ve been terrible in the 2nd period for an extended amount of time now? Gotta be expecting a big push back from other teams when we come out flying in the first. 

I wouldn't call it "terrible", and some of the discrepancy in play can be attributed to score effects and taking their foot off the gas. 

It is something to work on, but the team hasn't lost a game in regulation in nearly a month. They couldn't do that by regularly being terrible for a third of the game. 

Judge this team post-All Star game. 

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ugly second, but two great periods otherwise.  That said, they've got to get back to getting the first goal.........there are few things more deflating to a team than dominating, having nothing to show for it and then giving up a goal.  That's why we see a quick second goal so many times in those situations.

Elvis is playing to get traded so he needed to be lights out in the first. It could have easily been 3 zip for us in the first.