★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sadly, the oilers are likely to finish first or second in the pacific

I will put money on the Canucks finishing higher than the Oilers and would take odds on finishing #1 in the Conference and/or the league.

The Canucks have 8 road games in February (CAR, BOS, DET, WAS, CHI, MIN, COL and SEA)... my prediction is 5-1-2 or 6-0-2 ... woohooo ... should this occur then this is followed up to a 9 game home stand in March (WIN, CAL, WAS, BUF, MNT, CAL, LA, DAL and ANA) ... my prediction, Canucks will have a 2C in place and perhaps a scoring, impact winger in place and go 7-1-1 ... woohoo ... now should this happy event occur, Oilers would have to play .900 hockey to catch the Canucks including beating us at on their home turf in EDM (not going to happen).

Before this remarkable run and in particular the 7-game road trip where the Canucks went 5-1-1 for 11 out of 14 points, I would have been less sure to place shekels beside my bets, now, full steam ahead.

The Canucks "could" pick up someone like Lindholm for nothing more than picks in the 2nd - 5th round range and I would lay another bet that Allvin and Rutherford are exploring this exact scenario. How, well, take Linholm as the example, he with the $4.85M cap hit and Calgary most likely to miss the playoffs.

Calgary retains 50% of Lindholm salary and trades him to someone like Arizona ... RS = 2.425M for remainder of season and uses 1 retention slot

Vancouver gives picks in return <insert the cost here>

Arizona retains 50% of Lindholm's salary and trades him to Vancouver while retaining $1,212,500 for remainder of season and uses 1 retention slot

Vancouver gives Arizona a mid-round pick. Arizona is collecting picks like fleas on a dog. 

image.thumb.png.02ab56ec663856924dc96ce08db692dc.png

Vancouver moves Karlsson down to Abby and waives Friedman ... Lindholm and his $1,212,500 fit under the cap.

The above is something Vancouver wouldn't have done last year (for obvious reasons) but this year, the above is an all-in approach which PA / JR have given all indications that they will be doing. 

Assuming something like the above happens, then none of the roster players are moved and the Canucks have upgraded their second line significantly. A second move either of a D (i.e., toothless Tanev) or an impact winger could still happen but then a roster player would have to be moved.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!! 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

LOL

Yes, because some here can predict the future yet, for whatever reason, have never won the lottery.

You can look at a big picture but you can't foretell the outcome of unplayed games. 

Also......small picture = looking at the Oilers from December 21 onward and ignoring where they were before that. Big picture factors in the entire season/performance.

Same applies to looking ONLY forward with the Canucks and ignoring what they've done to date. Small picture stuff. Big picture includes all of it.

It's fine to be high on the Oilers....but they're just as likely to falter as this team is.

Anyway, screw the Oikers and all the intentional fearmongering. 

See how "The Spin Doctor" turns a great Canucks comeback win into "worrying" about the mighty Oikers and Vegas? 

Stop taking the bait. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

As an aside, how is "quality of opposition" determined? Statistically, or some analyst's gut feel?

For example, every team the Canucks have yet to play is below them in the standings (tied with Boston, but ahead in RWs), but Oilers have to play a few teams currently ahead of them in the standings, including one more against us.   How is their schedule therefore easier?   Is some weight given to last season's results and standings?  Or is there a snapshot ranking of "bottom 8, middle 16"  etc, and might not this ranking change by the time we/Oilers play those teams?

Inquiring minds want to know

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Trying to further justify their ridiculous actions.

Writing a rulebook on the fly.

If they wanted this, they could have done that at start of the season, not changing the rules mid-season is the main issue that the league has.  Do not be vague but being straightforward with this rules.  I think they will add this next season to prevent another incident like this.  

4 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Anyway, screw the Oikers and all the intentional fearmongering. 

See how "The Spin Doctor" turns a great Canucks comeback win into "worrying" about the mighty Oikers and Vegas? 

Stop taking the bait. 

yet you just can't help yourself

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

As an aside, how is "quality of opposition" determined? Statistically, or some analyst's gut feel?

For example, every team the Canucks have yet to play is below them in the standings (tied with Boston, but ahead in RWs), but Oilers have to play a few teams currently ahead of them in the standings, including one more against us.   How is their schedule therefore easier?   Is some weight given to last season's results and standings?  Or is there a snapshot ranking of "bottom 8, middle 16"  etc, and might not this ranking change by the time we/Oilers play those teams?

Here is one way this site is doing the analysis

image.png.863fc4f7e9c0ecc235369caf9dde26ab.png

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

well, just spit balling here......winning percentage thus far?

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Because Cricket (hence the moniker) was my passion until I was in my 40s.  I lack the empirical perspective of someone who was weaned on Hockey,  so am just trying to grasp the nuances of the whole fan experience

That's a fair enough point.  That said it shouldn't bother you that some of us look at a bigger picture and enjoy the ups and downs and trends of the entire league, especially in how it relates to the Canucks.

20 minutes ago, Googlie said:

The oilers also have to catch up in games played. They have 4 less played so a denser schedule as well

I think there are many factors involved

travel time

start time

which conference they are playing

games in x amount of days

days of rest

current standing of opponents  

last years standings of opponents

Edited by Johnny
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Jim McMahon said:

Would have been happy with Either Miller or Hughes as captain. Both are fantastic leaders ! 

Quinn was the smart move...

That way there was not going to be any jealousy between Petey and Miller (not saying there would, but this way it would never become an issue).

Other than that, yes Miller would be a good captain as well. We are lucky as we have many leaders on this team...many...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Goalie29 said:

I believe in the rulebook, diving is called unsportsmanlike conduct.  So you can't really get called for both.

Yes, I believe that you are correct.

But in keeping with Grumpy's overall intent that two minor penalties could have been called on the Boston goalie, the goalie could have been called for "Interference" (the pick play) and then then another minor for "Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Diving".

Though I doubt that any referee would call a "Diving Penalty" on the Boston goalie without an "even up penalty call" on the opposing player.

I have noticed a trend whereby goalies are interfering with forecheckers. Stepping in front of them to force them to take a wider route to get to the puck carrier or taking up the entire space behind the net as they play the puck from behind the net, effectively blocking any forechecker from aggressively pursuing the puck carrier from the backside. The unwritten rule that you don't contact the goalie pretty much gives goalies carte blanche to perform this interference without fear. The NHL Officiating Department should address this "Interference" before it becomes anymore blatant.

Question: Was the Boston goalie able to draw a penalty against the Philadelphia player? 

25 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Because Cricket (hence the moniker) was my passion until I was in my 40s.  I lack the empirical perspective of someone who was weaned on Hockey,  so am just trying to grasp the nuances of the whole fan experience

We won't hold a passion for Cricket against you 😎. When I was in Australia riding the train to work, during the 30 minute ride to the Sydney CBD I would see about 20 pitches (some doubling as Aussie Rules in a pinch) within site of the rail line. Cricket is huge in many places around the world and within the Commonwealth nations in particular. Aussies would go nuts when their team was playing in matches, every pub had it televised - especially when playing Indian, Pakistan or the UK. 

Welcome to hockey, stay a while, poke around and ignore the trolls - although they are amusing at times. 

In all seriousness, here is a bit of information to glean some information from --> https://thehockeywriters.com/hockey-101-beginners-guide-ice-hockey/

There are many reasons why Hockey (in my humble opinion) is the greatest sport on the planet, including:

1) You can commit assault legally - within reason;

2) One of the few sports (I can't think of another one at the moment) where players are substituted on the fly

3) Getting hit by Zadarov flying up the wing to meet the enemy can be more violent than playing in the NFL ... Zadarov is doing about 40kmph at impact

4) Players control the outcome of the game for the most part, even overcoming biased refs (although that is more of a myth than anything, but has been known to happen)

5) A true team sport - cricket matches can be won by an immensely talented bowler or baseball can be won by a CY Young pitcher, not so much with Hockey. Gretzky, arguably the greatest player to ever lace up the skates, only won 4 Stanley Cups over his illustrious career

6) The speed - did I mention getting hit by a freight train

7) Playoffs - no one and done, have to beat the same team several times to advance

... just a few reasons I like about hockey.

Enjoy the game and glad you are here cheering on our team. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a fair enough point.  That said it shouldn't bother you that some of us look at a bigger picture and enjoy the ups and downs and trends of the entire league, especially in how it relates to the Canucks.

Oh, it doesn't "bother me" ... I guess I'm not so much a hockey fan as I am a Canucks fan (as I was a Leafs fan for 5 years when I first came to Canada - to Toronto)

I will watch Playoffs, regardless of who's playing, but regular season I don't have much interest in watching, say, a Pittsburgh-Washington game, or Dallas-Nashville.  I get Center Ice package here, so occasionally might watch an Islander game, to see how Bo is doing, or Panthers, to check up on OEL, but only because they were recent players on "my"team. Next year prolly won't even do that as the recency deteriorates.

• Like 1