★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

43 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

LOL

Yes, because some here can predict the future yet, for whatever reason, have never won the lottery.

You can look at a big picture but you can't foretell the outcome of unplayed games. 

Also......small picture = looking at the Oilers from December 21 onward and ignoring where they were before that. Big picture factors in the entire season/performance.

Same applies to looking ONLY forward with the Canucks and ignoring what they've done to date. Small picture stuff. Big picture includes all of it.

It's fine to be high on the Oilers....but they're just as likely to falter as this team is.

I sure hope the Oilers don't get the same result of the 2019 Blues who were in last place in January

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Especially the bolded part. The other teams are - and should be - worried. 

Winning proves the fearmongering wrong. Last night is a good example.

28 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Anyway, screw the Oikers and all the intentional fearmongering. 

See how "The Spin Doctor" turns a great Canucks comeback win into "worrying" about the mighty Oikers and Vegas? 

Stop taking the bait. 

Can't we drop the fear of fear mongering thing yet? I don't see many people, if any, taking a negative view that was understandable during the last half decade. If anything this type of thing is keeping it alive when everyone else has moved on.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Can't we drop the fear of fear mongering thing yet? I don't see many people, if any, taking a negative view that was understandable during the last half decade. If anything this type of thing is keeping it alive when everyone else has moved on.

Oh really? Why don't you talk to Stawns about that? 

I've never actually seen a post after a win  where he isn't digging up some narrative and somehow spinning it into some Oiker bs. 

32 minutes ago, Googlie said:

As an aside, how is "quality of opposition" determined? Statistically, or some analyst's gut feel?

For example, every team the Canucks have yet to play is below them in the standings (tied with Boston, but ahead in RWs), but Oilers have to play a few teams currently ahead of them in the standings, including one more against us.   How is their schedule therefore easier?   Is some weight given to last season's results and standings?  Or is there a snapshot ranking of "bottom 8, middle 16"  etc, and might not this ranking change by the time we/Oilers play those teams?

Inquiring minds want to know

It's a silly concept in the NHL with 82 games spread across 32 teams and the same amount of games against all teams making the schedule equal. In the NFL where you play only 17 games and 6 against your division it makes a difference. 

All this talk of ease / difficulty of schedule.   Im not sure how "quality of competition" is calculated - im assuming its a dynamic calculation that changes all the time.  What I do know is the oilers seem to have the cushiest schedule so far when it comes to back to back games, number of games played, and rest in between games.  Theyve already had a stretch with almost a one week break -its why they have played less games than almost everyone.  Their schedule is about to get harder when it comes to playing games on a schedule - regardless of who the competition is.

Are the oilers a scary team -  Im not sure.  Their bottom 6 is weak - probably the worst in the league.  They had to inject a 40 year old as an upgrade.  I think their bottom 6 had like 14 goals combined last time I looked - doesnt hogs alone have that?

Goaltending - have fun trusting Skinner.

The x factor in this is McDavid/Drai.  I think the canucks need a good shutdown C to match up against him.  It should be their priority.  I like how they have upgraded the D size wise to match up against teams like Vegas a lot better. Imagine Kesler in his prime vs McDavid making him miserable all over the ice.  Dont be surprised if the Canucks bring in a player thats not so flashy or a point accumulator but has good underlying shutdown numbers.  They brought in Suter - smart player.  Does he have the experience to be that guy?

The path through the west will probably go through one of Vegas/Col/Edmonton...you would think Management has strategies for upgrades considering this.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sorry, and respectfully, no. I won't be dropping it. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Johnny said:

The oilers also have to catch up in games played. They have 4 less played so a denser schedule as well

I think there are many factors involved

travel time

start time

which conference they are playing

games in x amount of days

days of rest

current standing of opponents  

last years standings of opponents

I agree that they have a more dense schedule, but I think it's probably fair to say they'll win at least out of the 4 games they have in hand.  That puts them within 6 of Van with even games played.  From there, their quality of competition is significantly easier.........Vegas even more so.  The Canucks absolutely cannot take their foot off the gas, they have no room to cruise

Edited by stawns
  • Like 2

Sorry if posted before - we all know about the dud call the refs made and the nhl has basically said "meh, we do what we want so gfy"

(As an aside, I would've been angrier if it had been another defenseman, but no Myers meant we had a better chance of winning because he couldn't do something stupid with a min to go - yeah, I'm no fan but that's for another thread...)

Anyway - just to rub some salt on to the made up rule wound:

NEW YORK -- Vancouver Canucks defenseman Tyler Myers has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for elbowing Columbus Blue Jackets forward Sean Kuraly during NHL Game No. 772 in Vancouver on Saturday, Jan. 27, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 11:51 of the third period. Myers was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing.

The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

I can laugh, I guess, because CANUCKS WON!!!!!!  woohoo.

Was it just me or did the Vanc Mayor look super bored about having to drop the puck last night?

Edited by Canadian_Kanga

27 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Oh, it doesn't "bother me" ... I guess I'm not so much a hockey fan as I am a Canucks fan (as I was a Leafs fan for 5 years when I first came to Canada - to Toronto)

I will watch Playoffs, regardless of who's playing, but regular season I don't have much interest in watching, say, a Pittsburgh-Washington game, or Dallas-Nashville.  I get Center Ice package here, so occasionally might watch an Islander game, to see how Bo is doing, or Panthers, to check up on OEL, but only because they were recent players on "my"team. Next year prolly won't even do that as the recency deteriorates.

That's understandable, I get that.  But, you should also understand that many of us enjoy a deeper analysis and in no way does that mean are slagging Vancouver or pumping the tires of other clubs.  I've been a Canucks fan since 1974, nothing will ever shake that, so looking at numbers and trends and how it relates to the Canucks is just another level I enjoy as a fan.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's a silly concept in the NHL with 82 games spread across 32 teams and the same amount of games against all teams making the schedule equal. In the NFL where you play only 17 games and 6 against your division it makes a difference. 

I miss the days of more divisional games.  Man, there was some intensity to those games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

So are you saying we are where we are now because we've just completed the "easier" part of our schedule?

Oilers will play 37 games in the 2 months following the Allstar break, we'll play 33.  Doesn't that make our schedule easier?

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Also, the statement "they're not likely to lose". Like they did out of the gates when they fell on their faces? Why not?  Not so sure we should just ignore/forget that part and pretend it isn't relevant. It's possible they stumble again based on their earlier record.

People high on the Oilers need to remember that, just like this/any team, they're subject to lose at times. And they're not there yet so yes, their win streak is impressive but it simply offsets their HORRIBLE start. They were desperate and have gone on an amazing roll...like our team did last year. Nothing to lose stuff.

Home ice matters but...this team did very well on the road. 

People who pencil it all in have been wrong before. Not sure they have it all figured out in advance based on paper and schedules. 

Some people will never really buy in I guess. Always setting us up to fail.

The key is season series is so important, the Canucks beat the Oilers 3-0 so far and the Oilers lost 6 points and has not been able to catch during their hot winning streak is because they haven't faced the Canucks since.  The Canucks has been able to maintain their winning and point streak over a longer period of time and only gained 2 points.  Now, the Kings has yet to play the Canucks this year and 4 games, 8 points and if the Kings lose season series, they will have lost their grounds and will be in danger of missing the playoffs altogether if other teams wins their games against the Kings.   

The Canucks and the Bruins has yet to play against each other and they haven't been able to widen the gap.  Once they finally play against each other, the gap will start to wide unless they have 1-1 season series record and neck to neck race until the end of the season.  However if one of Canucks or Bruins wins the series 2-0, it will become 4 points up on each other, more difficult to catch one of those up down the stretch.   Avs and the Canucks has not been able to widen despite losing a game to Avs and they gained 2 points on Canucks.   They did not win enough games against other teams for the Avs to catch so if the Canucks play better and the same for the Jets.  Weird how this works.  All the Canucks needs to do win their season series for the gap to widen even further.   This is exciting time.  This helps the Canucks not to lose their sharpness down the stretch than if they faced them earlier in the season and they would have been lower in points earned.  Three games on the road on tough opponents after the break will set their tone for rest of February is the best way to start on higher gear rather than an easy opponents to start back after the break ever will.   This is a perfect schedule, to be honest with quality of opponents for rest of their way.  Expect the standing to change more often in next two months if they even their season series.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Within the remaining schedule our big tests will be against 

Canes

Bruins x2

Red Wings x2

Jets x3

Avs x2

Knights x3

Kings x 4

Oilers 

Stars

The boys will get a taste of playoff type hockey before the playoffs even start 

I think that it is good for the Canucks to have this type of opponents down the stretch so that they are able to keep their game sharp for this stretch.  I've seen President Trophy winner lower their game standard may be two factor: fewer game against top teams down the stretch but the Canucks will have played more games against them, will only help them keep their higher pace habits.  I have never seen this type of schedule before where it is a perfect storm where all late season schedule are stacked against the Canucks.  I think it has to do with late season burst and the league expect them not to make playoffs before the season started and thinking that this schedule might help them tank but not this year. LOL

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Darius said:

agree! and we have a backup that can be thrown in incase anything goes wrong.

Yeah, this is what it comes down to in the end. Also DeSmith having a positive record is significant. In years past, we'd lose those games with our backup.

It's interesting ... I trust that Demko can play lights out for the remainder of the season. He can at least take nights off without a total collapse.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

The key is season series is so important, the Canucks beat the Oilers 3-0 so far and the Oilers lost 6 points and has not been able to catch during their hot winning streak is because they haven't faced the Canucks since.  The Canucks has been able to maintain their winning and point streak over a longer period of time and only gained 2 points.  Now, the Kings has yet to play the Canucks this year and 4 games, 8 points and if the Kings lose season series, they will have lost their grounds and will be in danger of missing the playoffs altogether if other teams wins their games against the Kings.   

The Canucks and the Bruins has yet to play against each other and they haven't been able to widen the gap.  Once they finally play against each other, the gap will start to wide unless they have 1-1 season series record and neck to neck race until the end of the season.  However if one of Canucks or Bruins wins the series 2-0, it will become 4 points up on each other, more difficult to catch one of those up down the stretch.   Avs and the Canucks has not been able to widen despite losing a game to Avs and they gained 2 points on Canucks.   They did not win enough games against other teams for the Avs to catch so if the Canucks play better and the same for the Jets.  Weird how this works.  All the Canucks needs to do win their season series for the gap to widen even further.   This is exciting time.  This helps the Canucks not to lose their sharpness down the stretch than if they faced them earlier in the season and they would have been lower in points earned.  Three games on the road on tough opponents after the break will set their tone for rest of February is the best way to start on higher gear rather than an easy opponents to start back after the break ever will.   This is a perfect schedule, to be honest with quality of opponents for rest of their way.  Expect the standing to change more often in next two months if they even their season series.

I think that it is good for the Canucks to have this type of opponents down the stretch so that they are able to keep their game sharp for this stretch.  I've seen President Trophy winner lower their game standard may be two factor: fewer game against top teams down the stretch but the Canucks will have played more games against them, will only help them keep their higher pace habits.  I have never seen this type of schedule before where it is a perfect storm where all late season schedule are stacked against the Canucks.  I think it has to do with late season burst and the league expect them not to make playoffs before the season started and thinking that this schedule might help them tank but not this year. LOL

It certainly could be, no question about it

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

After the misery for a number of years, the sun has come out!  (re: a great time to be a Canuckfan).  No the team isn't a Cup contender but you have to walk before you can run.  And we're walking towards a gallop in the right direction.  

Not a Cup contender? How many teams do you think can beat the Canucks in a best of 7 series? Vegas and..? This team has only lost 2 games in a row twice. I'm not saying they will win, but they absolutely are Cup contenders. This team can play any game and beat you. GCG!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Canadian_Kanga said:

Sorry if posted before - we all know about the dud call the refs made and the nhl has basically said "meh, we do what we want so gfy"

(As an aside, I would've been angrier if it had been another defenseman, but no Myers meant we had a change of winning without him doing something stupid with a min to go - yeah, I'm no fan but that's another thread...)

Anyway - just to rub some salt on to the made up rule incident:

NEW YORK -- Vancouver Canucks defenseman Tyler Myers has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for elbowing Columbus Blue Jackets forward Sean Kuraly during NHL Game No. 772 in Vancouver on Saturday, Jan. 27, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 11:51 of the third period. Myers was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing.

The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

I can laugh, I guess, because CANUCKS WON!!!!!!  woohoo.

Was it just me or did the Vanc Mayor look super bored about having to drop the puck last night?

At least no suspension.

I watched the ceremony again. That's how he looks, resting bitch face.  He wore a Hughes jersey. 

Both him and Trevor are rookies at these ceremonies, even though Ken did it last yr.  Trevor actually counted to 3 aloud to drop the puck.   Then they walked off prematurely only to realize they need to stay there for the anthems.  Pretty funny actually.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The lady was right; It was sort of a follow through. Those Damn long limbs. He's just trying to play a tough game, and we need that. 

If you asked Myers if he'd rather pay the five thousand or miss five games, he'd say I'll pay, hands down...

Just now, Googlie said:

Hasn't he been in the net for all 16 of Edmonton's win streak?

Not all, but their backup won games too.   

This is just regular season.  Really doesn't mean much.  They have proven to be playoff pretenders.  Avs and VGK beat them handily.  Nux should take notes.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

The lady was right; It was sort of a follow through. Those Damn long limbs. He's just trying to play a tough game, and we need that. 

If you asked Myers if he'd rather pay the five thousand or miss five games, he'd say I'll pay, hands down...

That's why I'd have been ok with 2 mins, he's still responsible for limbs and equipment.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Hasn't he been in the net for all 16 of Edmonton's win streak?

Yup and i hope they get duped into thinking hes a top tier goalie because of it.  He was a weak link early in the season, he was a weak link in the playoffs for them. As I said, have fun trusting him.

Edit: Pickard has been in for a few games too...but thats besides the point.

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Not all, but their backup won games too.   

This is just regular season.  Really doesn't mean much.  They have proven to be playoff pretenders.  Avs and VGK beat them handily.  Nux should take notes.  

I'd say of the teams that will be considered contenders, they'll be the easiest gameplan to come up with.  If you can shutdown McD and Drai, you've got a good chance.  The Avs and Knights are much deeper and can beat you in more ways

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 3