★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

I remember a couple seasons ago listening to Corey Hirsch go on about how the Canucks aren't a good team and that's why we weren't getting the calls go our way. Well, what's the excuse now Corey? We're a very good team this year and we still have garbage calls go against us all the time. 

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I dont follow cricket so much now - when in London, though, going to a game was an all-day affair.  Play was 11:30 to 6:30.  I'd freeze four beer the night before  and take those, plus 2 from the fridge, to the game.  With pacing, that final beer, about 6 in the evening, was still ice cold!

Came to Canada in 77, and bought a Leaf's single gold season ticket for 4 years.  Moved to Vancouver in 82, and had a pair of center ice (8th row) season tickets at the old Coliseum.   Got front row balcony seats at (the then) GM Place until I retired in 2000 and started spending winters here in the desert.  To my golfing buddies, I'm a "hockey expert" but hanging around these boards makes me realize how experiences as a youngster colours how we see things as an adult.  I am a relative neophyte here 

😇

The joy of watching Cricket... 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say of the teams that will be considered contenders, they'll be the easiest gameplan to come u0p with.  If you can shitdown McD and Frai, you've got a good chance.  The Avs and Knights are much deeper and can beat you in more ways

Knights barely put us away during that covid season because although they were significantly deeper than us then, they lacked enough 'game breakers' to take us out (to counter the Jacque Plante goaltending we had).

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, bhoodlum said:

Not a Cup contender? How many teams do you think can beat the Canucks in a best of 7 series? Vegas and..? This team has only lost 2 games in a row twice. I'm not saying they will win, but they absolutely are Cup contenders. This team can play any game and beat you. GCG!

We've been lucky with respect to injuries so far.  Let's wait and see how we handle if somebody (knock on wood that it doesn't happen) goes down with a major injury.  Reason why we lost in 2011 (we ran out of healthy defenseman).

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Knights barely put us away during that covid season because although they were significantly deeper than us then, they lacked enough 'game breakers' to take us out (to counter the Jacque Plante goaltending we had).

They improved a lot since that's why they won the cup.  Eichel, Pietrangelo, Hill etc.  

Can also be said for Nux, much better team since COVID cup.  But they are a handful and once they get healthy it will be the team to beat.  The remaining games vs VGK will be a good test.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Nice post! The angle no one has noticed. 

Yup, pretty obvious that to catch someone, that someone has to stop winning - i.e., our beloved Canucks. Tocchet made a comment awhile ago along the lines of, "we take care of the details and the wins will happen." ... Tocchet has the Canucks focused on the future by playing a structured game today  and that has been paying dividends and should continue to do so. 

It is also great to see the depth PA / JR have managed to assemble in a short period of time which has allowed for Tocchet to maintain his "staples structure".

Go Canucks Go!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

They ain't going on a ten game slide. They are going to push as hard as they can to finish first, even though they won't. Although they are playing lights out over the last month and a half, the Oilers remain 12 points back of Vancouver. To put that into perspective, on November 6, Vancouver was 12 points up on Edmonton after 11 games. On December 4, Vancouver was up 14 points after 25 games. On January 15th, Vancouver was up 14 points up after 43 games. Today they are 12 points up even though Edmonton has won 16 in a row. So the moral of the story is no matter how hard Edmonton has played, they haven't gained on the Canucks since November 6th.

The "loser" points makes it hard to make up ground on teams above you in the standings (especially if there's multiple teams above you - they all can't lose all the time when they'll often be playing each other [somebody will get the two points or worse, the two teams will split three points].

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bhoodlum said:

I remember a couple seasons ago listening to Corey Hirsch go on about how the Canucks aren't a good team and that's why we weren't getting the calls go our way. Well, what's the excuse now Corey? We're a very good team this year and we still have garbage calls go against us all the time. 

I've been saying for years that we have to be so good that we can overcome both the opposition AND the officiating. That's the unfortunate reality.

It never meant we couldn't do it. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The "loser" points makes it hard to make up ground on teams above you in the standings (especially if there's multiple teams above you - they all can't lose all the time when they'll often be playing each other [somebody will get the two points or worse, the two teams will split three points].

That is the reason why you need to bring back ties and no OT for one point and 3 points for a win then you can start being able to catch up somehow.    T/hat is why teams made playoffs at a higher rate at Thanksgivings and Edmonton was able to put together a nice winning streak for them to get back in the race.  They have caught up with playoff but not able to catch up the Canucks.   Very difficult to gain grounds with the loser points system.  I think it's the worse system ever invented.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

That is the reason why you need to bring back ties and no OT for one point and 3 points for a win then you can start being able to catch up somehow.    T/hat is why teams made playoffs at a higher rate at Thanksgivings and Edmonton was able to put together a nice winning streak for them to get back in the race.  They have caught up with playoff but not able to catch up the Canucks.   Very difficult to gain grounds with the loser points system.  I think it's the worse system ever invented.  

Not that I have the time, but it would be nice to see what the standings would look like if the old 2 points for a win and 1 point each for a tie after a 5 minute OT session (no SO) system was used to calculate the points.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its crazy that we have 5 players & a coach going to the all-star game. And 3 participating in a 12 player event.

Really looking forward to All-Star, and seeing all our guys there going through it together. Should be so fun.

Everyone east of the Rockies (including media) watching our 5 players and coach will be like ...

surprised-icegif-2.gif

• ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I dont follow cricket so much now - when in London, though, going to a game was an all-day affair.  Play was 11:30 to 6:30.  I'd freeze four beer the night before  and take those, plus 2 from the fridge, to the game.  With pacing, that final beer, about 6 in the evening, was still ice cold!

Came to Canada in 77, and bought a Leaf's single gold season ticket for 4 years.  Moved to Vancouver in 82, and had a pair of center ice (8th row) season tickets at the old Coliseum.   Got front row balcony seats at (the then) GM Place until I retired in 2000 and started spending winters here in the desert.  To my golfing buddies, I'm a "hockey expert" but hanging around these boards makes me realize how experiences as a youngster colours how we see things as an adult.  I am a relative neophyte here 

😇

Hey Googlie, I'm going to be in Palm Springs from Feb 4th to 16th. Do you know of a sports bar where I can watch Canucks games?

2 minutes ago, KFAN said:

Hey Googlie, I'm going to be in Palm Springs from Feb 4th to 16th. Do you know of a sports bar where I can watch Canucks games?

I was there a couple of weeks ago.  Went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch Canucks games.  Make sure that you go to a Coachella Valley Firebirds game when you are there.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Actually wasn't that hard. I did a quick export of the current standings into Excel and added the OTL to L to produce the second set and then calculated the differences in points. The Canucks still are on top but this time are 2 points clear of Colorado with Boston dropping down to a tie for third with Florida. Not a huge difference except our beloved Canucks are clear of the field by 2 games. Oilers drop by 1 point solidifying the point of an earlier poster where their 16 game win streak makes up for the abysmal performance to start the season and would put them 8 points behind the Canucks with no loser points to rely on - although they did make up ground on the Canucks who did rely on a few loser points, but not much. 

Hopefully my quick and dirty approach doesn't have an error .. spent about 2 minutes on it.

Biggest beneficiaries of the loser points are NYI, SEA, LA and CBJ

image.thumb.png.1a0fa5004539340aec0b2658ed73d44a.png

Standings would look like this assuming the above is correct and also didn't add a point for each team that went to a SO ... that would mean finding out who the teams were in the respective shootouts and adding 1 point to each of them ... see if I feel motivated to do that bit of research but probably not. 

image.png.c5002f3efeb077dabf08b790926ebbcf.png

I think with the loser points at least it must means how LA isn't that far behind Vancouver. 

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I agree, but they didn't have Eichel then either, and they've won a Cup since then.  My point was that the Oilers are much more of a one trick pony.......granted it's a big pony.  If you can find a way to neutralize their big two, then they haven't got much after that.  Both Vegas and Colorado have more depth and more lines that can beat you if you shut down their big guys 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I agree that they have a more dense schedule, but I think it's probably fair to say they'll win at least out of the 4 games they have in hand.  That puts them within 6 of Van with even games played.  From there, their quality of competition is significantly easier.........Vegas even more so.  The Canucks absolutely cannot take their foot off the gas, they have no room to cruise

Thats not what I was implying

question was why is canucks schedule considered harder.

my response was suggesting the the denser schedule should add a degree of difficulty that the canucks dont have

15 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think with the loser points at least it must means how LA isn't that far behind Vancouver. 

Adding points for ties would add the following points to each team ... enough on this for now ... 🙂

Anaheim Ducks 1
Arizona Coyotes 2
Boston Bruins 2
Buffalo Sabres 1
Calgary Flames 4
Carolina Hurricanes 2
Chicago Blackhawks 1
Colorado Avalanche 2
Columbus Blue Jackets 1
Dallas Stars 3
Edmonton Oilers 1
Florida Panthers 1
Los Angeles Kings 3
Minnesota Wild 5
Montreal Canadiens 6
Nashville Predators 1
New Jersey Devils 1
New York Islanders 4
New York Rangers 2
Ottawa Senators 1
Philadelphia Flyers 3
Pittsburgh Penguins 2
San Jose Sharks 3
Seattle Kraken 5
St. Louis Blues 2
Toronto Maple Leafs 5
Vancouver Canucks 1
Vegas Golden Knights 5
Washington Capitals 5
Winnipeg Jets 1
Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Thats not what I was implying

question was why is canucks schedule considered harder.

my response was suggesting the the denser schedule should add a degree of difficulty that the canucks dont have

It does to some degree, but these guys are athletes in prime condition and have been playing this kind of schedule since they were kids.

The Canucks schedule is considered harder because they have more teams in their schedule who are a higher quality of competition 

2 hours ago, bhoodlum said:

Not a Cup contender? How many teams do you think can beat the Canucks in a best of 7 series? Vegas and..? This team has only lost 2 games in a row twice. I'm not saying they will win, but they absolutely are Cup contenders. This team can play any game and beat you. GCG!

Philly