★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Our 3rd line is set.

I'd be happy if Podz could fit on a 4th line. 4th liner with some offense. Teach him to pk as well. Let him and Mik start something. 

Move Hogs up. 

It might be hard to bring everyone back from our bottom 6 with the way they’re playing. I think we will lose one of Joshu, Bluegar or Lafferty to free agency. They’re all going to expect raises. Lafferty would hurt the least if we lost one.

1 minute ago, CanuckMan said:

It might be hard to bring everyone back from our bottom 6 with the way they’re playing. I think we will lose one of Joshu, Bluegar or Lafferty to free agency. They’re all going to expect raises. Lafferty would hurt the least if we lost one.

If we don't sign Myer's.

That 6M in cap to help resign our bottom 6.

What would be the total type of raises though.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we don't sign Myer's.

But the cap going up with Myers money if we resign Hronek and EP we may only be able to sign one or two max.

Hope players from Abby are ready.

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Reeves talked Horvat into postponing a game because of BLM. They were in a bubble for crying out loud. He knew his team was tired and they would most likley

lose that game. Oh well, this year we'll do it right and hold that thing up!

The actions related BLM pause cause a rescheduling of games 3 and 4, which became back to back as a result.  Series was tied 1-1 at the time. 

The original schedule is here:

https://www.knightsonice.com/2020-stanley-cup-playoffs-vegas-golden-knights-to-face-vancouver-canucks-in-second-round/

Here’s the full schedule:

Game 1 – Sunday, 7:30 p.m.

Game 2 – Tuesday, 6:45 p.m.

Game 3 – Thursday, 6:45 p.m.

Game 4 – Saturday, 5 p.m.

*Game 5 – Monday, Aug. 31 – TBD

*Game 6 – Tuesday, Sept. 1 – TBD

*Game 7 – Thursday, Sept. 4 – TBD

Game 3 was originally Thursday Aug 27, 2020.

Vegas used Lehner and Fleury in games 3 and 4.  Nux used Marky through game 4, which he got injured. Demko started in game 5.  

https://www.knightsonice.com/vegas-golden-knights-vancouver-canucks-stanley-cup-playoffs-revised-schedule-second-round/

Revised schedule (all times PT and on NBCSN):

Game 3 – Saturday, 6:45 p.m.

Game 4 – Sunday, 7:30 p.m.

Game 5 – Tuesday, 6:45 p.m.

*Game 6 – Thursday, TBD

*Game 7 – Friday, TBD

I thought then it was bad for Nux since they were more banged up and had a hard time with VGK physicality.  Due to the schedule change, game 6 and 7 were also back to back, which is better for VGK.  Marky got injured after game 4.  Games 5, 6, 7 were the Bubble Demko games.

Nice memories, Lotto line was together and scoring in game 5:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/timeline-canucks-thatcher-demko-first-playoff-start-42-saves-elimination-game/bwztfqjqacaf1amsipjjzngpb

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we don't sign Myer's.

This would be a far better use of money, you can use one million raise on each of them and still keep them all that is if they want the Cup.  Lose one defender and I think some of our defensive prospects might be ready next season. 2-3m raise to Hronek and buy 1 or 2 years of UFA years and it all evens out.   That leave us with 1 million raise to Zadrarov for short term deal.  We might have to dip into prospect pool as our 3rd pairing if there is no UFA signing for cheap. Myers is our rental for this year so I would treat him as such in exchange with no asset being lost.  Any team would absolutely love to have him at the deadlines if we weren't contending this year.  I'd let him walk at end of the season.

• Cheers 1

I'm so glad they made some changes on the powerplay.  I think Tocchet is right, movement is important but it's much better if it's added as a wrinkle instead of it being the prime objective.  Scoring should always be the objective on the PP.

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

But the cap going up with Myers money if we resign Hronek and EP we may only be able to sign one or two max.

2 would be great! Might be able to sign them all if we have a good playoffs. If they buy in to this teams goals.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

2 would be great! Might be able to sign them all if we have a good playoffs. If they buy in to this teams goals.

You never know.

Classic Sedin's working with the team might just talk sense into a couple to take a bit less like they did and Miller.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we don't sign Myer's.

The cap going up will help with the OEL buyout hit. 
If we don’t resign Myers his 6 million will most likely go to Petey/Hroneks raises. 
Also need to keep in mind as of now only Hughes, Soucy, Juulsen are signed for next year. After Hronek we would still need to find 2 more defenceman. 
Out of all of our UFA/RFA from the forwards Lafferty seems like the most possible one to not get resigned after the wag Joshua/Bluegar have played. I can also see them bringing back 1 of Cole or myers on a cheaper contract but not both. 

True we need help next year and hope three guys or more can step up and play from the farm team.

CBJ seem to be a team falling apart maybe Alvin grabs a player or two and adds a ufa from us for them to get another pick, or another team.

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Poolman off the books too.  Every little bit helps.  What's really gonna hurt the next few years is OELs buyout. 😐

Edited by Pure961089

19 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Are you able to trade a dead cap? 

I. E. Sell it for 2nd round draft or maybe even a first

Cap space is NHL currency. Very valuable.  It would take a team like Chicago that knows it's gonna be bad for the next few years.  They might take on that dead cap (if it's allowed) for a few draft high picks. Maybe even a prospect 

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Cap space is NHL currency. Very valuable.  It would take a team like Chicago that knows it's gonna be bad for the next few years.  They might take on that dead cap (if it's allowed) for a few draft high picks. Maybe even a prospect 

Yes I get it but the question is, can you trade dead cap? (ie trading a cap hit resulting from buying a player out) Or can you only trade players that have a cap hit associated with it? 

6 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

The cap going up will help with the OEL buyout hit. 
If we don’t resign Myers his 6 million will most likely go to Petey/Hroneks raises. 
Also need to keep in mind as of now only Hughes, Soucy, Juulsen are signed for next year. After Hronek we would still need to find 2 more defenceman. 
Out of all of our UFA/RFA from the forwards Lafferty seems like the most possible one to not get resigned after the wag Joshua/Bluegar have played. I can also see them bringing back 1 of Cole or myers on a cheaper contract but not both. 

If they don't re-sign Myers, they have to sign someone else to fill his spot........for likely$4-6m.  It's not like that just becomes free money, they still need a player to replace him

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they don't re-sign Myers, they have to sign someone else to fill his spot........for likely$4-6m.  It's not like that just becomes free money, they still need a player to replace him

It's why it's so important to have a farm system in place that has players that can eventually make the jump to the parent club.  They don't have to be "stars" but servicable players (eg., they'll be on cheap contracts) to act as 'fill-in' spots.  Another reason to have faith in this present management as they appear to have put more emphasis on this (ie., you need more than to draft 'home run' picks).

• ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

My attitude is everyone plays the same amount of games over the same timespan (season) against all the same teams (more or less) inside the division and to a sightly lesser degree in the conference. Regardless of when they are scheduled or if you have back to backs or who you play or what not, you just have to try to win all of them.

Hockey is a game where a team can be weak at the start of the year but really great down the stretch. Young teams are like this and even if they are out of the playoffs they can be super hard to beat. Every team can beat every team on any given day. You have to play well in every game if you hope to win.

Complaining about the schedule is just a weak excuse in my books. I would never claim that we didn't make the playoffs because our schedule was too hard. Everyone has a hard schedule. It's the NHL.

Not to say that Vancouver doesn't have more travel because they do but short of moving to Kitchener that's not going to change anytime soon.

I think it's things in the schedule like eg 3 really early games vs the Mcbaby squad. I'm sure the NHL schedule builders in TO did that with a little giggle. But the flip side of doing the unexpected and beating them in all 3 could be huge for us at the end of the year if we're in a tiebreaker situation in the standings. So you are correct everyone has to pretty much play the same teams but there are little quirky things in the year that can make people suspicious..

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tanev and Juulson. 

10 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Sorry to burst everyone’s Podkolzin bubbles but I don’t see him having the same success as Hoglander at the big level. Podz was drafted almost 5 years ago and has yet to crack the lineup. Hogs drafted the same year and has been much better. At most I see Podz as a 3rd line player when we eventually lose one of our bottom 6 players to some other team that offers more money because of the way they’ve played. Bains will beat Podz for a spot in the lineup come September. 

Maybe you should watch Podz play sometime. But thanks for the ignorant condescension.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Quinn Hughes vs Cale Makar.  Look at the Even Strength Points.  

Hughes is the best defenceman THIS year.  Anybody that says otherwise is looking at literally nothing else other than points per game.  Hughes dominates in every other aspect.