★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:
11 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Sorry to burst everyone’s Podkolzin bubbles but I don’t see him having the same success as Hoglander at the big level. Podz was drafted almost 5 years ago and has yet to crack the lineup. Hogs drafted the same year and has been much better. At most I see Podz as a 3rd line player when we eventually lose one of our bottom 6 players to some other team that offers more money because of the way they’ve played. Bains will beat Podz for a spot in the lineup come September. 

Maybe you should watch Podz play sometime. But thanks for the ignorant condescension.

Id say both Podz and Hogs has got a lot of potential. What i like about hogs is he simply works hard and ferociously forechecks like he always has, learnin how to position and move accordingly to the play is key for his current development. since he plays that type of energy role he wont have the kind of endurance like the top 6 players has, which is his next step to take. hes almost there....think the sedins might be helpin him a bit there....question of time before he gets it is my guess...

Podz kind of dropped of the radar during preseason since he didnt score enough and didnt play the role as an aggressive powerforward which is how i see him at his best. he can score and move hard against the net, reaching good scoring oportunities. once he steps up and consistently keeps a hard working aggressive style i think he will take a spot...he certainly has the potential for it. he is still young, and has potential to be a decent powerfoward. in 2-3 years time its quite possible we might have hogz podz and petey as our best line. 

next year we might have lekkerimaki in and out of the lineup since he was one of the WJC best players and has taken steps in hid development....the future does look bright imo...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Id say both Podz and Hogs has got a lot of potential. What i like about hogs is he simply works hard and ferociously forechecks like he always has, learnin how to position and move accordingly to the play is key for his current development. since he plays that type of energy role he wont have the kind of endurance like the top 6 players has, which is his next step to take. hes almost there....think the sedins might be helpin him a bit there....question of time before he gets it is my guess...

Podz kind of dropped of the radar during preseason since he didnt score enough and didnt play the role as an aggressive powerforward which is how i see him at his best. he can score and move hard against the net, reaching good scoring oportunities. once he steps up and consistently keeps a hard working aggressive style i think he will take a spot...he certainly has the potential for it. he is still young, and has potential to be a decent powerfoward. in 2-3 years time its quite possible we might have hogz podz and petey as our best line. 

next year we might have lekkerimaki in and out of the lineup since he was one of the WJC best players and has taken steps in hid development....the future does look bright imo...

It looks like Hoglander, through hard work, and a better coach, has solidified a position a on the Vancouver Canucks for keeps. He's listening to instructions 

far better, not flying off in different directions like he use to.

Now I see the same thing with Podkolzin currently playing in Abbotsford and becoming an all round player. Much better.  When Kuzmenko and Mik hit the scene,

it didn't leave much room for a developing player like Podz at the NHL level. I'm not quite saying he could displace one of them now, but from what I've seen, soon..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's also a protection mechanism against.

a) Being too cocky and being annoying like Leaf fans.

b) That way if there's a collapse we've kind of braced for impact.

c) But you hope in your heart that the team pulls off the far too elusive dream. But you keep that quiet. Again I think we will all go nuts for joy winning the Stanley Cup.

Just enjoy the ride.

We should erect a GIANT mock Stanley Cup and erect it at the entrance to Stanley Park once We Win The Stanley Cup!

Like 40 stories high or something.  Lest anybody should forget The Canucks Win The Stanley Cup!

(I ain't afraid-ah no curses.)(We got the Universe on Our Side Now.)

22 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm less concerned about home ice. Sometimes teams feel less pressure on the road.

Oddsmakers consistently favour the home team, all other things being equal.

If that doesn't say that there is a distinct advantage to home ice, I do not know what would.

For my seat-of-my-pants math, it works out to roughly a half a goal per game.

(Again, the Economist's Saving Face Assumption:  All things being equal.)

3 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Oddsmakers consistently favour the home team, all other things being equal.

If that doesn't say that there is a distinct advantage to home ice, I do not know what would.

For my seat-of-my-pants math, it works out to roughly a half a goal per game.

(Again, the Economist's Saving Face Assumption:  All things being equal.)

I think it's very situational. Maybe Luongo stands on his head game 7 if it's in Boston.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Myers and his record

image_GWkHcH5m_1696659223637_512.webp

Big hit; Myers in the Zoo:  

There were green alligators, and long-necked geese giraffes, humpy-back camels, and referees' gaffes.

Cats, and rats Marchands, and heffalumps, as sure as you're born, but the stupidest of all was the Department of Player Safety; Jesus Christ what a pile of inconsistent crap comes out of that crooked fucking office.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

We should erect a GIANT mock Stanley Cup and erect it at the entrance to Stanley Park once We Win The Stanley Cup!

Like 40 stories high or something.  Lest anybody should forget The Canucks Win The Stanley Cup!

(I ain't afraid-ah no curses.)(We got the Universe on Our Side Now.)

Like Babylon tower?

It did not end up that well last time.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think it's things in the schedule like eg 3 really early games vs the Mcbaby squad. I'm sure the NHL schedule builders in TO did that with a little giggle. But the flip side of doing the unexpected and beating them in all 3 could be huge for us at the end of the year if we're in a tiebreaker situation in the standings. So you are correct everyone has to pretty much play the same teams but there are little quirky things in the year that can make people suspicious..

I really think some Canucks fans are a tad self absorbed and just like to complain quite frankly (trying to state this as gently as I could so please don't take personally). The schedule doesn't revolve around "getting Vancouver". They didn't even think twice about it. 3 games out of 82 against one team early in the season .... oooooooooh scary, what a coup - season over lol. It's not like wins are worth any more points at the start of the year then the end. Like who cares except CFF, that sort of stuff happens every year? There are very few easy games in the NHL, maybe like 5 a year.

It's completely and absolutely ridiculous to think the whole schedule of the 32 teams is bult around trying to make it hard against one team. Think about it. If in fact Toronto was trying to cook the schedule they would do it to benefit their own team ... not satisfy some perceived grudge against a mentally fragile fanbase in the opposite conference (also a bottom feeder team last season). Sure, when their software popped out 3 early games against EDM I'm sure it was noticed and maybe an eyebrow raised, but it was in no way set up and choregraphed by moving around games, to "get us".

Would it have been so different if we played Edmonton, Boston, and Colorado instead? How do you explain the fact that we have only played Vegas once, and have 7 games left to this date against them and LA? We also have 2 games left against Colorado and one against Dallas (also just played them Dec 21). Also 2 games left against Boston. If anything, that should be seen as an easier schedule. I can't wait until we hear the exact opposite argument when we get to that part of the schedule, cause you know it's happening. Hehe.

Imagine making the schedule for 32 teams across 2 massive countries and hundreds of thousands of kilometers. Factor in all the concert/blackout dates, required division, conference, and league games, plus special events, back-to back limitations, etc. It's hard enough I would think without acting like a spoiled child while doing a very grown up job. I feel a lot of people here are really selling the league short. Scheduling 3 early games against one of your closest opponents is not the trickery you perceive it to be. The funniest part about the whole completely off base claim is we won all the games. :frantic: 🤭

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I really think some Canucks fans are a tad self absorbed and just like to complain quite frankly (trying to state this as gently as I could so please don't take personally). The schedule doesn't revolve around "getting Vancouver". They didn't even think twice about it. 3 games out of 82 against one team early in the season .... oooooooooh scary, what a coup - season over lol. It's not like wins are worth any more points at the start of the year then the end. Like who cares except CFF, that sort of stuff happens every year? There are very few easy games in the NHL, maybe like 5 a year.

It's completely and absolutely ridiculous to think the whole schedule of the 32 teams is bult around trying to make it hard against one team. Think about it. If in fact Toronto was trying to cook the schedule they would do it to benefit their own team ... not satisfy some perceived grudge against a mentally fragile fanbase in the opposite conference (also a bottom feeder team last season). Sure, when their software popped out 3 early games against EDM I'm sure it was noticed and maybe an eyebrow raised, but it was in no way set up and choregraphed by moving around games, to "get us".

Would it have been so different if we played Edmonton, Boston, and Colorado instead? How do you explain the fact that we have only played Vegas once, and have 7 games left to this date against them and LA? We also have 2 games left against Colorado and one against Dallas (also just played them Dec 21). Also 2 games left against Boston. If anything, that should be seen as an easier schedule. I can't wait until we hear the exact opposite argument when we get to that part of the schedule, cause you know it's happening. Hehe.

Imagine making the schedule for 32 teams across 2 massive countries and hundreds of thousands of kilometers. Factor in all the concert/blackout dates, required division, conference, and league games, plus special events, back-to back limitations, etc. It's hard enough I would think without acting like a spoiled child while doing a very grown up job. I feel a lot of people here are really selling the league short. Scheduling 3 early games against one of your closest opponents is not the trickery you perceive it to be. The funniest part about the whole completely off base claim is we won all the games. :frantic: 🤭

I don't think there's a get us mentality, but I do think other teams probably do have more weight in the NHL front office when it comes to deciding schedule conflicts.

Look at the Toronto night here eg. 4pm start? F off Gary.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think there's a get us mentality, but I do think other teams probably do have more weight in the NHL front office when it comes to deciding schedule conflicts.

I'm not sure what you mean by scheduling conflicts exactly, can you explain it a little more?

I am of course aware Toronto's games are played earlier when on the West Coast in order to be in the prime TV slot for Hockey Night in Canada. I'm not really sure there is any advantage for them there though.  In fact I think they are 1-9 in their last 10 in Van. It doesn't seem to matter to the team at all. It's about maximizing TV revenue. Personally I don't care when they play. I love early games myself.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Thats just silly Bob. The NHL wants to be successful and make money. They want to give all fans in all cities a chance to see/enjoy the games. I enjoyed the game regardless of the earky start time for us, especiially since we won.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Thats just silly Bob. The NHL wants to be successful and make money. They want to give all fans in all cities a chance to see/enjoy the games. I enjoyed the game regardless of the earky start time for us, especiially since we won.

Exactly. I'm super excited whenever we get to watch Canucks hockey. With a league covering 6 time zones you should expect games at all different times. They don't all run on Vancouver time.

I'm sure the players aren't blindsided by the start times and prepare appropriately, as should the fans if they want to watch.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not sure what you mean by scheduling conflicts exactly, can you explain it a little more?

I am of course aware Toronto's games are played earlier when on the West Coast in order to be in the prime TV slot for Hockey Night in Canada. I'm not really sure there is any advantage for them there though.  In fact I think they are 1-9 in their last 10 in Van. It doesn't seem to matter to the team at all. It's about maximizing TV revenue. Personally I don't care when they play. I love early games myself.

its a disadvantage for us, we're basically playing at an eastern road game time, its BS. So our guys play at an odd time for Toronto's media. Cool. 

Also look at the outdoor game, Vegas at Seattle? ffs. 

I think there are things like back to backs, game times to accommodate the east (like those shit day games in Buffalo), when certain teams are front or back loaded, etc.

I don't think any of its a deal breaker, but I also don't think the Canucks come first when there's any issues. Like TO tv times.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

oh silly. So Seattle starting a 6pm pacific vs TO was what, the NHLs attempt to not make money?

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

its a disadvantage for us, we're basically playing at an eastern road game time, its BS. So our guys play at an odd time for Toronto's media. Cool. 

Also look at the outdoor game, Vegas at Seattle? ffs. 

I think there are things like back to backs, game times to accommodate the east (like those shit day games in Buffalo), when certain teams are front or back loaded, etc.

I don't think any of its a deal breaker, but I also don't think the Canucks come first when there's any issues. Like TO tv times.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's one game of the year that's done for the betterment of the league. Obviously not a disadvantage at all as I indicated. The Canucks are 19-2 since 2003 at home against Toronto. NHLers are quite capable of playing hockey at anytime of the day you know.

What about the outdoor game, I have no clue what could be wrong with that? Is that at the wrong time too ... I'm confused as to why their game time would be of relevance? Those games are horrible anyway. In addition to the all-star game they also aren't worth watching.

We have a top 5 schedule for back to backs in the NHL this year.

I'm sorry this seems like a whole lot of nothing. We're in first place in the league and people are still complaining lol. Not sure if it's a defence mechanism or something, maybe entitlement. The NHL doesn't revolve around the Canucks, although 41 games a year are scheduled to accommodate them.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly. I'm super excited whenever we get to watch Canucks hockey. With a league covering 6 time zones you should expect games at all different times. They don't all run on Vancouver time.

I'm sure the players aren't blindsided by the start times and prepare appropriately, as should the fans if they want to watch.

Mmmm I’ve lived in NA for over 40 years and thought there were only 4 time zones from the west coast teams to the east coast teams. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Höglander   Pettersson   Lekkerimäki 

Podkolzin    Miller            Boeser 

The all Swedish line plus Miller gets his power forward. I can see this as our future. Most likely the Russians will get traded. Kuzmenko probably this year and Mikheyev once Lekkerimäki is ready for prime time. 

• Vintage 1

Two or weeks ago; I would have driven Kuzmenko to the airport if they wanted me to. Not so sure now.

Maybe The hawks may be interested in his countryman. Mikiev? Reason I say that is I'm convinced Coach Rick has transformed 

Kuz into valuable asset for our run to the cup. Rick! Can you hear me?

7 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

Mmmm I’ve lived in NA for over 40 years and thought there were only 4 time zones from the west coast teams to the east coast teams. 

I just googled while writing my soliloquy lol. I guess the Atlantic ones don't really count ... but I'm sure they like hockey there too. Okay though, fair enough 4 time zones. I think the point itself still stands.

16 hours ago, high flying Vee said:

Different eras but still worth mentioning. The new or casual fan would not believe what star players had to deal with in previous decades… 

Heck, look at all the BS our two "sisters" had to deal with throughout their careers. I bet if they played in Toronto or New York they would never have received so much disrespect from the fans or league,

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

If you are going to bitch about 4:00pm games, start with CBC. Television dictates scheduling, not Gary. 

Exactly. It's not like Gary is going through the schedule game by game trying to find the most extreme conditions so the Canucks are at a disadvantage. I would think it's actually a benefit to Gary and the league for us to do well. We're the 3rd largest market in Canada I would imagine. You want those teams to do well in order to maximize profit.

Similarly in the NFL games on Thursday, Sunday night, and Monday Night Football are scheduled in order to play in primetime, not put certain teams at a disadvantage. These are successful business minds not some children playing pickup hockey where one team is stacked with all the older brothers. 

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's one game of the year that's done for the betterment of the league. Obviously not a disadvantage at all as I indicated. The Canucks are 19-2 since 2003 at home against Toronto. NHLers are quite capable of playing hockey at anytime of the day you know.

What about the outdoor game, I have no clue what could be wrong with that? Is that at the wrong time too ... I'm confused as to why their game time would be of relevance? Those games are horrible anyway. In addition to the all-star game they also aren't worth watching.

We have a top 5 schedule for back to backs in the NHL this year.

I'm sorry this seems like a whole lot of nothing. We're in first place in the league and people are still complaining lol. Not sure if it's a defence mechanism or something, maybe entitlement. The NHL doesn't revolve around the Canucks, although 41 games a year are scheduled to accommodate them.

Seattle vs Vegas for an outdoor game is sad imo. They are stupid I agree.

I never said any of it was game breaking, just annoying.