★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

If you look at the schedule you will find that of course the Canucks, due to geography, have consistently the worst or one of the worst travel schedules. Then add to that the fact that the time of day absolutely DOES make a difference to the players. They have game day routines and body clocks.

Playing games in our morning, 9 hours earlier than their bodies are used to, as they had to do a couple of weeks ago, dramatically increases the level of difficulty. So all the other teams face the same, do they? Eastern teams at worst, play 3 hours later than they are used to. That is not the same at all.

Try it sometime; get up 9 hours earlier than you are used to and see how sharp and effective you are. This is NOT something the more favoured teams are subjected to. 

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is a conspiracy against the Canucks, I would say it is more just a "don't give a damn" attitude towards fairness.

I don't think anyone is waking up 9 hours earlier than they normally do. Why would you do that if the time difference is only 3 hours. 😁 So for some reason if Miller wakes up at 10:00 AM in Vancouver he wakes up at 1 AM in Toronto? Well sh!t, no wonder it affects them so bad. He must be dead tired by gametime.

They do have one of the worst travel schedules due to geography. What would you suggest? They only play SJ and LA all year, or all the games are on Vancouver time so they're are at their best? So if they're in Toronto or out East all the games should be played at 10:00 PM to make it fair?

Don't most team including ours practice in the morning?

Edited by Gawdzukes

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't think anyone is waking up 9 hours earlier than they normally do. Why would you do that if the time difference is only 3 hours. 😁 So for some reason if Miller wakes up at 10:00 AM in Vancouver he wakes up at 1 AM in Toronto? Well sh!t, no wonder it affects them so bad. He must be dead tired by gametime.

They do have one of the worst travel schedules due to geography. What would you suggest? They only play SJ and LA all year, or all the games are on Vancouver time so they're are at their best? So if they're in Toronto or out East all the games should be played at 10:00 PM to make it fair?

You're right about not changing their sleep schedule.  At least not by much  Not 9 hours, that's just silly

But that travel schedule conundrum because of our geographic location could be addressed.  It should be taken into consideration when they make up the schedule. Maybe they do, but it doesn't seem like we get any special treatment.  But there should be some kind of reworking of the road schedule that gets rid of all back to backs, and don't have morning games set up for us. That's not an advantage, thats just evening out the odds somewhat for teams that play in the north east especially.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, kilgore said:

You're right about not changing their sleep schedule.  At least not by much  Not 9 hours, that's just silly

But that travel schedule conundrum because of our geographic location could be addressed.  It should be taken into consideration when they make up the schedule. Maybe they do, but it doesn't seem like we get any special treatment.  But there should be some kind of reworking of the road schedule that gets rid of all back to backs, and don't have morning games set up for us. That's not an advantage, thats just evening out the odds somewhat for teams that play in the north east especially.

Interestingly, last year Edmonton had the heaviest travel schedule (distance wise), by far (pun intended).....

https://www.mroelectric.com/blog/nhl-teams-that-travel-the-most/

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

If you look at the schedule you will find that of course the Canucks, due to geography, have consistently the worst or one of the worst travel schedules. Then add to that the fact that the time of day absolutely DOES make a difference to the players. They have game day routines and body clocks.

Playing games in our morning, 9 hours earlier than their bodies are used to, as they had to do a couple of weeks ago, dramatically increases the level of difficulty. So all the other teams face the same, do they? Eastern teams at worst, play 3 hours later than they are used to. That is not the same at all.

Try it sometime; get up 9 hours earlier than you are used to and see how sharp and effective you are. This is NOT something the more favoured teams are subjected to. 

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is a conspiracy against the Canucks, I would say it is more just a "don't give a damn" attitude towards fairness.

Another consideration is that very often in the east teams will only have to travel a couple of hours. With the exception of Seattle, all travel is by air, and when you consider arrivals and departures prep, etc, I'd be surprised if there is anything less than 5 from home to destination (9 - 10 hors to the east). That also can be wearing. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not sure what you mean by scheduling conflicts exactly, can you explain it a little more?

I am of course aware Toronto's games are played earlier when on the West Coast in order to be in the prime TV slot for Hockey Night in Canada. I'm not really sure there is any advantage for them there though.  In fact I think they are 1-9 in their last 10 in Van. It doesn't seem to matter to the team at all. It's about maximizing TV revenue. Personally I don't care when they play. I love early games myself.

I personally feel that HNIC would be best served to have Toronto in a late night to maintain their rating because Saturday night at 4pm start is already have a good rating even if Toronto is not scheduled in two Saturdays a year.  Rating goes dive on second half of the HNIC slot so if Rogers wants a good rating, you get Toronto at a late night to maintain their rating.  It is just my opinion because HNIC is too scared to make this an experiment for once and I never have seen Toronto on 10pm ET start on a Saturday, ever.  Two large markets at 10pm ET is will be highest rating than 4pm start ever will (Sundays their day off for most part and games being over at 12:30am ET).

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The only way for this type of schedule is to really change the format, no more East/West conference format.  If we go with 8 divisions of 4 teams each and Vancouver is grouped with Edmonton, Calgary and Seattle and whatever realignment they have for rest of the league, I don't really care about it.  What I care is travel schedule getting better is first of all, 8 divisional games vs 3 teams for 24 games and 2 games each for rest of the league, home and away vs 28 teams would have been 62 games and it fits right into 82-games season schedule under this schedule matrix.   If the Canucks are able to go Seattle 4 times a year, it will actually lower their air miles by a lot.

Playoffs could easily look like this, first round being 1 v 2 in a divisional series.  Then remaining of 8 divisional winner with highest non-divisional record being top seeded for Round 2 and forth.  Even President trophy winner is not guaranteed a home ice advantage throughout the playoffs.  It is the best non-divisional record across 28 other teams getting better chance of obtaining a home ice, this will make non-divisional games even equally important if you are contender.  1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 matchups for Round 2 then reseeded 1 v 4, 2 v 3 for Semifinals then the Stanley Cup Final series.   

That is how you solve the travel schedule, it will allow for all division to be close to each other and have more divisional games that actually matter, win the division, you get to play further in the playoffs.  Imagine, Vegas and LA feasting on the Ducks and Sharks this year but non-divisional records are not actually better for Round 2 and actually be lower seeded if they are not any better at non-divisional match-up.  That is how I would prefer this format over the current format.    It would be possible to have all Western Stanley Cup Final if they could do that for example, Vegas vs Vancouver.

Edited by coolboarder
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Thank you for presenting a reasonable argument. Maybe say you can't schedule the games before 4:00 PM or something?  Have you ever heard of this being brought up before? I tried doing a google search but came up dry.

I do have some reservations though. I kind of like having to rough it out a bit. It makes things fun and challenging. How many early games do we play a season anyway, 7? I can't find times for the earlier season but we have 3 remaining: Detroit at 10:00 AM PST on Feb 10, Capitals at 10:30 AM on Feb 11. Minny at 11:00 AM on Feb 19th (Only 2 hours difference ... 1:00 PM for them). And for some reason the Ducks @ 11:30 AM on Mar 31 ... but that one is in Van ... so not sure why so early but same time for Anaheim and apparently we expect our players can play pretty early in Van. The other teams also have to play though too right ... so those games are somewhat early for them as well. Maybe it should be the amount of the time difference, i.e. +3 hours for Canuck games so they should schedule the regular NY 1PM games for 4 PM. They should have the right to play early games if they want in their own building I believe.

These teams play games at times that work in their market ... I myself used to love watching the old Philly, NY, NJ, Pitt, WASH, BUF games (still do) ... they love their early weekend hockey games out there. it's kind of like American and English football when you go into an opposing arena part of the struggle is dealing with all the many distractions that come with it.  I do appreciate and accept your argument as having validity though.

We've only had one back to back out east on the road I believe and it was an easy 3 game trip. I don't think that's a big issue at all. We have one more against the Caps and Det and it's in the middle of our 5 game trip coming up right away. Still pretty easy though as there is a lot of time on either side.

If it hasn't been brought up and the fact it simply isn't changed already makes me feel like it's not the issue it's made out to be or the league simply doesn't want to change the gametimes. You would have thought someone would have lobbied for it by now though if it was that much of a concern. I don't think I've heard of a player saying the games are too early.

It's part of hockey for me. Tough Eastern road trip. Kind of like riding the bus in the WHL or even AHL. Part of the parcel so to say.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Oh the complete and utter disrespect shown to NFLD and their weird ass time zone. 
Newfanlanders should know that despite Cap’s obvious disdain for you by intentionally making you the exclusive exclusion from his list that I still love you one and all (well maybe not a couple…..YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN). I consider you part of my Canada unlike Cap 😔.

Sorry have been drinking tequila again. 

Yes, Newfies have their own special time zone because, well, they’re special….

Edited by Captkirk888

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

I personally feel that HNIC would be best served to have Toronto in a late night to maintain their rating because Saturday night at 4pm start is already have a good rating even if Toronto is not scheduled in two Saturdays a year.  Rating goes dive on second half of the HNIC slot so if Rogers wants a good rating, you get Toronto at a late night to maintain their rating.  It is just my opinion because HNIC is too scared to make this an experiment for once and I never have seen Toronto on 10pm ET start on a Saturday, ever.  Two large markets at 10pm ET is will be highest rating than 4pm start ever will (Sundays their day off for most part and games being over at 12:30am ET).

Good point. I've thought of this too lately, but just west coast games right, not 10 PM local? I wonder though if they might actually lose some of those TO and fair weather fans to the broadcast altogether in that scenario. That Ontario region must make up a massive part of the viewership.

I agree though ... it absolutely has the possibility of working out even better ... although they do lose the ability to showcase it around Toronto somewhat.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Good point. I've thought of this too lately, but just west coast games right, not 10 PM local? I wonder though if they might actually lose some of those TO and fair weather fans to the broadcast altogether in that scenario. That Ontario region must make up a massive part of the viewership.

I agree though ... it absolutely has the possibility of working out even better ... although they do lose the ability to showcase it around Toronto somewhat.

Yes, just when west coast hosting a home game at 10pm et, not when Toronto is hosting hosting. Also what better, Leafs fan are hardcore fans, majority of them so I can't see them missing a game on a Saturday night anywhere in Canada.  How did I know, during many of their losing seasons in 70's, 80's, 90's, they still sell out Leafs game when they were horrid bad.  That is how hardcore fanbase they are and they will have no issue tuning in a west coast game starting at 10pm et.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Yes, just when west coast hosting a home game at 10pm et, not when Toronto is hosting hosting. Also what better, Leafs fan are hardcore fans, majority of them so I can't see them missing a game on a Saturday night anywhere in Canada.  How did I know, during many of their losing seasons in 70's, 80's, 90's, they still sell out Leafs game when they were horrid bad.  That is how hardcore fanbase they are and they will have no issue tuning in a west coast game starting at 10pm et.

lol they sucked so bad for so long I don't think a lot of their fans even understood what the playoffs were. I knew a couple fans that would brag every game about how good they were but they hadn't been close to the playoffs for years and years.

On 1/28/2024 at 3:24 AM, Strawbone said:

I loved the Barbie movie. It was funny AND subversive which is hard to do. It poked fun at men ruling the world by default, which isn't how things should be, and I laughed really hard when Ken escaped Barbie-land and first realized that the real world wasn't ruled by women.

That movie sucked as much as Columbus in the third...soft, boring and predictable.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NHL Tyranny said:

That movie sucked as much as Columbus in the third...soft, boring and predictable.

After seeing Poor Things I appreciate what Greta Gerwig did in Barbie even more. To convey the message about what it is to be a woman and finding your identity w/o having to rely on sex, finding a man, and other cliches to me is very impressive 

15 hours ago, Catman said:
National Hockey League - number of Stanley Cups won by team from 1915 to 2023
Characteristic Stanley Cups won
Toronto Maple Leafs 13
Detroit Red Wings 11
Boston Bruins 6
Chicago Blackhawks 6

Yes, must've been tough back then when there were 6 teams in the NHL.

Leafs still hanging on to that stuff like it's relevant in the here in now is quite laughable to me.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2