★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

17 hours ago, coolboarder said:

The only way for this type of schedule is to really change the format, no more East/West conference format.  If we go with 8 divisions of 4 teams each and Vancouver is grouped with Edmonton, Calgary and Seattle and whatever realignment they have for rest of the league, I don't really care about it.  What I care is travel schedule getting better is first of all, 8 divisional games vs 3 teams for 24 games and 2 games each for rest of the league, home and away vs 28 teams would have been 62 games and it fits right into 82-games season schedule under this schedule matrix.   If the Canucks are able to go Seattle 4 times a year, it will actually lower their air miles by a lot.

Playoffs could easily look like this, first round being 1 v 2 in a divisional series.  Then remaining of 8 divisional winner with highest non-divisional record being top seeded for Round 2 and forth.  Even President trophy winner is not guaranteed a home ice advantage throughout the playoffs.  It is the best non-divisional record across 28 other teams getting better chance of obtaining a home ice, this will make non-divisional games even equally important if you are contender.  1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 matchups for Round 2 then reseeded 1 v 4, 2 v 3 for Semifinals then the Stanley Cup Final series.   

That is how you solve the travel schedule, it will allow for all division to be close to each other and have more divisional games that actually matter, win the division, you get to play further in the playoffs.  Imagine, Vegas and LA feasting on the Ducks and Sharks this year but non-divisional records are not actually better for Round 2 and actually be lower seeded if they are not any better at non-divisional match-up.  That is how I would prefer this format over the current format.    It would be possible to have all Western Stanley Cup Final if they could do that for example, Vegas vs Vancouver.

Nice work, very thorough and some interesting ideas ... like the second round seeding. Super boring though unfortunately imo, I would rather accept the travel and play the rest of the league more. It would get real lame playing the same few teams over and over and over ... like the Canada bubble. I quite enjoy playing a new opponent every night. So many good teams and players out there.

Not sure but you might have a tiny math mistake, unless I'm reading it wrong. Playing the rest of the 28 teams in the league twice is 56 I think, not 62. That's actually closer to 82 though as it totals 80.

Edited by Gawdzukes

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nice work, very thorough and some interesting ideas ... like the second round seeding. Super boring though unfortunately imo, I would rather accept the travel and play the rest of the league more. It would get real lame playing the same few teams over and over and over ... like the Canada bubble. I quite enjoy playing a new opponent every night. So many good teams and players out there.

Not sure but you might have a tiny math mistake, unless I'm reading it wrong. Playing the rest of the 28 teams in the league twice is 56 I think, not 62. That's actually closer to 82 though as it totals 80.

There are 32 teams in the league. 

Edited by DrJockitch

• Jess unfeatured this topic
On 1/29/2024 at 11:40 AM, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly. I'm super excited whenever we get to watch Canucks hockey. With a league covering 6 time zones you should expect games at all different times. They don't all run on Vancouver time.

I'm sure the players aren't blindsided by the start times and prepare appropriately, as should the fans if they want to watch.

Do any other eastern teams get this special treatment or just the Centre of the Universe?