★[PGT] Canucks vs CBJ Jan 27, 2024

Jaimito

1 hour ago, chris12345 said:

That is one absolutely dreadful movie.

I loved it. Well written and acted. The sets were awesome. It was fun but made some pithy observations. I can understand a certain demographic not liking it, but each to their own I suppose. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Totally had this weird feeling we were gonna lose tonight…

they haven’t been on since they were super hot on that road trip… 

hope they can get their mojo back during the all star break…

Austin Powers GIF by Pixel Bandits

The real mojo is the friends we make along the way.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, bhoodlum said:

Missed the third period as I was watching the Barbie movie. After seeing the score after 2 periods I was not expecting this result. This team is special. Yay sports!

That movie was a torture… 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

They got the call wrong though.  It’s a 2 min elbowing call

Based on the radio PXP they called the major on Cole, according to the rule they I'm review it to either stick with that call, cut it to a minor or while it off the board, there is nowhere in the rulebook where they have the authority to use replay to penalize a completely different player. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Jumping in on the elbowing call.

Intent is not required for an elbowing major. Here is the rule:

1 Elbowing - Elbowing shall mean the use of an extended elbow in a 
manner that may or may not cause injury. 

Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, 
shall be imposed on any player who uses his elbow to foul an 
opponent. A major penalty must be imposed under this rule for a foul 
resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent (see 45.5).

In other words, it you hit a guy hard in the face with your elbow, you are likely to get a major, even if you did not "intend" to do it. As with high-sticking, each player has an obligation to avoiding hitting the other guy with his elbow. 

I am not sure if there really was an "injury" although there was blood and it is the kind of hit that can cause a concussion. I personally want to see that play removed from game (along with other plays that have a high likelihood of causing a concussion).

As suggested by @kilgore, I thought it was likely that both Myers and Cole would get minors but the referees rarely make a call that gives a 2-man advantage in that situation. 

Based on what Batch read of the rulebook on the radio, they misused the replay rule. They called Cole for the major, checked the replay and realized they either had the wrong guy, or that Myer's elbow was more serious.  That's not how the rule works. Supposedly the replay rule only gives the refs three options, keep the major against that player, change to a minor, or wash it. It's like a team asking for a replay for goalie interference, the refs see no interference, but they realize they missed an offside and wash the goal anyway. Complete BS!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Rule 20.6 – On-Ice Video Review of Major Penalties (Page 33)

Referees shall review all plays that result in the assessment of any Major Penalty (other than a Major Penalty for Fighting) for the purpose of confirming (or modifying) their original call on the ice.

Such reviews will be conducted exclusively by the Referee(s) on the ice in consultation with other On-Ice Official(s), as appropriate, using the technology (for example, a handheld tablet or a television or computer monitor) specified in and provided pursuant to Rule 38.5.

Communication between the Situation Room and the On-Ice Officials shall be limited to contact between the appropriate Game Logger in the Situation Room and the Referee to ensure the Referee is receiving any and all video they might request, as well as the appropriate replay angles they may need to review the penalty call. There shall be no other contact or consultation between the On-Ice Official(s) and the NHL Situation Room, or with any other non-game participant.

The Referee shall only have the following options following video review of his own call: (i) confirming his original Major Penalty call; or (ii) reducing his original Major Penalty call to a lesser penalty for the same infraction

The refs screwed up!

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Strangest game I have seen in a while - CBJ scores first shorthanded - Canucks cut deficit - elation..  Then it was  3-1 and 4-1 with the last goal bouncing off the Demko's back leg. The Canuck's  ASG reps had a tough 2nd period. Sportsnet has brief silence during intermission showing the countdown clock going down, then going up.

Three pp goals in the third created by same ASG reps nullifies the deficit - strange 5 minute call to a Canuck who was not originally penalized - finally OT goal by Petey.  Have to admit I held my breath to confirm as it was a whiff shot that bounced off his skate  - thought they may call it off and then we head into some shootout lasting 18 rounds.

Certainly a memorable way to head into the All Star break.   Nonetheless happy with the result.

Hope the Canuck players enjoy the much needed rest before preparing for the final stretch of the reg season.

Just Win.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 3

Pretty stoked. I was somewhat worried when down 4-1 after 2. 

Wow. What a 3rd! And that 5min pk? Stellar performance. We may have played sub par in the 2nd, but we gutted it out for the win. Took OT to do it, but who cares.

Most triumphant indeed. Yay!!!!!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

What a game....

Fantastic comebacks and an amazing 5min kill...

Great to see the team able to stand up to a mans game...

Peteys hit on Jonny Hockey was great as was Juulsen sending the player into the bench...

And Brock finally has 30..... 

Life is good.

After the misery for a number of years, the sun has come out!  (re: a great time to be a Canuckfan).  No the team isn't a Cup contender but you have to walk before you can run.  And we're walking towards a gallop in the right direction.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

After the misery for a number of years, the sun has come out!  (re: a great time to be a Canuckfan).  No the team isn't a Cup contender but you have to walk before you can run.  And we're walking towards a gallop in the right direction.  

Not sure if contender or not, but in far better place than we've been for a long time...

And yes, its a great time to be a Canuck fan...

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I loved the Barbie movie. It was funny AND subversive which is hard to do. It poked fun at men ruling the world by default, which isn't how things should be, and I laughed really hard when Ken escaped Barbie-land and first realized that the real world wasn't ruled by women.

I loved it too and for the same reasons

Well, I've gotta eat some serious crow on this one. Was in a bad mood yesterday and that 2nd period made it way worse, and I totally lost faith in the boys. All I can say is, good fucking job boys on proving me wrong, and I am sorry for doubting you. (Though let's never have another 2nd like that please).

Great fucking comeback and great win! And GO BOES! 30 GOALS WOOOOO!

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Rounoush said:

That felt VERY satisfying putting up 5 on Elvis. Starting to hate that little shit.

Him and Kurally. That guy was such a poop disturber.

I wanted the canucks to build up a cushion so Z could actually beat him up but Myers elbowed him instead lol. 

It was funny when Z just headlocked him and held him down... 

• ThereItIs 1