Who you taking?

Who you taking?   

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who you taking?

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

true - I guess my point being that 2011, which had as many memorable moments as 1994 (Burrows OT goals, Bieksa’s OT goal, Kesler’s last second goal), was only 13 years ago.  

To me, it seemed like a subtle jab at the 2011 team and experience but maybe I read too far into it.

Yeah, sometimes it's just best to take people at their word and think nothing more into it. It's all too common for 1 person to put words in someone else's mouth that they never said and those just become debates that are... not fun in my opinion. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

I can only speak to the 2011 and current team and the way I see it, we watched the 2011 team grow into a juggernaut over the course of 3 or 4 seasons and they absolutely crushed the regular season stats.  They were durable enough to push through three rounds.

But what strikes me about this current team, and what has me excited, is that as good as they’ve been, I never felt like they were firing on all cylinders. This team seems to me, could put it all together and just steamroll through the postseason like LA in 2012. Like, they are number one in the league, points and point percentage, and I still feel like they have another gear.

i'll take the 2011 team.. if they weren't so banged up they prolly win the cup.. any one of the D can play in our current top 4.. and they have 2 super pest in kesler and burrows.. and they have nastiness in the 4th line and a shutdown line that's one of the best. the sedins burrows kesler luongo any single one of them can be a game changer any given night.. and everyone on that roster can play both offense and defence and PK unlike our current roster.. the current team remains to be seen how they fare against the big fast teams like vegas and colorado.. so far we have been run out of the rinks.

Look at the 2024 team go to town.  

At this point, after the Lindholm trade, the 2024 team forward group, is undeniably better than the 2011 group.   And felt prior to it, it was at least it equal.    Better actually.   It now rivals the 94 team.   The best we've ever had. 

23 hours ago, canuck73 said:

All comes down to Quinn Hughes...

The other two teams did not have that level of player... maybe Bure is close but Hughes looks like a generational talent.

Bure was unbelievable.   There still hasn't been a player, that got all the fans standing when the puck was on his stick.   That's what he was like.   McDavid doesn't do that.   The only guys in history, i've seen do that, are Mario and Bure.    Gretzky not really, fans just got so used to it they didn't stand up.       Bure got butts out of seats like nobody.    As soon as the puck was on his stick and he "shot out of a cannon" which is how Letang describes him, and he was just a kid,  the building stood up to watch.   Do agree,  QHs is this teams Bure.  

Edit:  As far as what happened after Bure got the puck on his stick and took off, it was usually either a massive "ahhh!!!" noise or everyone was clapping, cheering and jumping up and down.

Also, again, I voted for 2024, because neither the 2011 or 94 team won a cup.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2024, hands down because we have special thing going out of blue unexpected.  2011 couldn't get it done when they were expected to win the whole thing.  We kind of have the expectation for 2011. 1994 was kind of build up from 1991 to 94, a slow build that helped to build up some experience and they have had a good team already even in a bad year so we cannot really say that they were bad in 94 due to years of slow building.  This year we were not expecting to be a good team and didn't have any type of building up leading to this season and it went off strong and continue to stay strong that was kind of unexpected.  

If this current team were to make a serious pitch for Rasmus Andersson and be successful in acquiring him, I’d put this team ahead of the 2011 team.

The only thing that I do not like about our current team is that they will be significantly screwed if they lose Quinn Hughes to long term injury.  We would go from being an elite team to a 10-13 calibre team overnight.   

With the 2011 team, no injury to any single one player would have sunk us in the same manner (although a minor argument could be made for Ryan Kesler).

Get Chris Tanev and we are on par with 2011.  Get Rasmus Andersson and this is the best team in Canucks’ history.

On 1/31/2024 at 12:42 AM, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

I can only speak to the 2011 and current team and the way I see it, we watched the 2011 team grow into a juggernaut over the course of 3 or 4 seasons and they absolutely crushed the regular season stats.  They were durable enough to push through three rounds.

But what strikes me about this current team, and what has me excited, is that as good as they’ve been, I never felt like they were firing on all cylinders. This team seems to me, could put it all together and just steamroll through the postseason like LA in 2012. Like, they are number one in the league, points and point percentage, and I still feel like they have another gear.

In 2011 teams defense, there were 6-7 other very good teams, winning it all wasn't a foregone conclusion.

The last seed (cup champs) Dragon, gave us a scare.    SJ was a legit contender.    That group of 6-7 teams, was one win a month behind our team.   10 points separated us from that group, and there was another group just under them as well.     Our ROW,  50 is truly not an easy achievement, one that will be really hard to pass.    Back then no 3 x 3 either, some of the uptick in scoring, for sure results in that.   Shoot-out goals do count for GF though.  2011 had 262.   It's goals against, was the true indication of a great team, 185 is superb.   A season goal differential of 77, or almost a goal a game.   That's where most President trophy teams end up since the cap came in.  A goal a game.  

The 94 team missed Nedved.   In 92-93, we were 3rd in scoring and set a club record that I thought we'd never see a team capable of matching.  343 or 345 can't remember.   Currently, 49 games in, we've scored 186 and let 127 in.   A goal differential of +59, in 49 games.   Well over a goal per game.    Even without a couple blow out games, it would still be comfortably over a goal per game.  We are also on pace for 179 goals against.   Believe it or not, this teams defensive game, is on pace to beat the 2011 team, and well 3 x 3 and more capable players in the league now, scoring is up.    The 2023-2024 D-core isn't getting enough credit.  

And it's not like Tochett is AV "protect the 0-0 tie!" .  

A shot at plus 100 differential, that's insane.   Aside from last years Bruins,  just doesn't happen anymore (post cap).    2023-2024 team is pacing the 2011 team in win percentage, and points.    A little higher, around 118-119, lots of hockey left of course.   But that's pretty high bar. 

Only team that's keeping up  is Boston.   AVs are close too.   So you're correct, in that it's very unlikely, we won't be 10ish points ahead of the next tier.  .   It's looking like it could be a dogfight to the finish.   And despite EDMs 59 compared to our 71,  their last 30 games ... well with 33 left, likely  see them in the mix too.   Do feel, that this current team, can continue on their pace though.   Lindholm will change things, the same way Nedved did in 92/93, or the Nedved trade did for the Canucks in 94 once things settle down.   .725 is actually a reasonable thing.   March or the end of our schedule, is the easiest stretch we have too.  The final 33 games,  really isn't that bad.   

Nice thing, since our torrid record start, this team has faced everyone's best.   We aren't facing back-ups anymore.    Teams want to beat us.   We've seen this with teams well below us in the standings.     

Another nice thing (there are many nice things!), we have 7 legit all-stars on our team.   And each and every one of them, is different then the other.   It's a mixed bag.    Sending 6, that likely is a post cap record that won't be broken for quite some time. 

We tend to romanticize the teams that has great seasons, and great runs.   We haven't had much post season the past decade.   A couple home games against CAL..another first round exit, and the Bubble.   Thankfully, the core players did some special things and played against a cup winner and a contender after.    Like the 94 team, there is also a good mix of vets, some with cup rings, others with experience on other teams.     Still sticking to 2023-2024.    Nobody has won a cup yet.   This forward group, just stepped into a conversation being as deep as the 94 one was. 

Edit: Will add, our team doesn't rely as much on special teams, although they are important.   Like the 94 team.    Also feel that the relying on goaltending is about even.   For all 3 clubs.   Key.    Bubble Demko,  and we have a cup run in under 20 games.    This team, is way better, then the bubble team was.   All our core is in their primes now.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

If this current team were to make a serious pitch for Rasmus Andersson and be successful in acquiring him, I’d put this team ahead of the 2011 team.

The only thing that I do not like about our current team is that they will be significantly screwed if they lose Quinn Hughes to long term injury.  We would go from being an elite team to a 10-13 calibre team overnight.   

With the 2011 team, no injury to any single one player would have sunk us in the same manner (although a minor argument could be made for Ryan Kesler).

Get Chris Tanev and we are on par with 2011.  Get Rasmus Andersson and this is the best team in Canucks’ history.

Hronek's abilities, is on par with the players we could put on the first power play unit in 2011.   Agree we don't have the Ballard safety net, but we do have all the Albert's and rookie Tanev's that we possibly could need.    Juulsen is more than serviceable.   Where we would be screwed, and so would the 2011 team, is losing 2 of our six guys, and QHs is one of them.     Lindholm just gave us added punch and Selke like impact.   That will help mitigate a loss of a star forward, and to a degree, our defense.    

Do think it would hurt as much as losing Demko.   But don't think it would drop us down that far.    What we do need, is a Luke Schenn like add, and a Patrick Marroon.    That would for sure move us to the favourites.   Feel we already are.   The way this seasons gone so far.  

QHs is our lone true super-star, and of course that would hurt.   Same as McKinnon or McDavid going down.    How can the team deal with that?   Tochetts for sure already taken that into full consideration, when we are comfortably in the lead, reduces his minutes, sometimes hovering around 20 a night.   Taking him off the PK helped too.     Only nights he's playing 25 plus, we have lots of power plays and or we are trying to come back.   

Losing QHs would be like losing H. Sedin, or Bure, or Luongo.    A massive hole.    Where it matters the most (post season) we will need him.   And we will need the entire roster, to establish to our opponents, that he's off limits as far as dirty plays go.   EDM scares me more than any other team because they have some dirtbags, and because they are under incredible pressure to win a cup with McJesus this year.    Could see Perry, Kane or Nurse running him.   Or kneeing, elbowing, spearing and roughing him up after every whistle.    That's why we need Zadorov.   Soucy, Myers, Cole..lacking a vet hulk banger though.   Marroon is this generations Mike Keane.   Gets passed around for a reason.   

Edit:  You can bet the 2011 team would miss Kesler.  2009-2011, he was just an incredible player.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2024 for me..... Hughes on D is a clear difference maker, overall better D on all 3 pairs.  94's forward lineup is very impressive though. 

all in all i cant say weve had 6 all star players in a lineup...it should speak volumes.....this year we got such a huge chance at going down in history as the best team ever...but thats where the playoff run will come into play.... all the signs are pointing in the right direction....

1 hour ago, tas said:

seems like a no-brainer -- I know for a fact the 94 and 2011 teams couldn't get it done; the 2024 team still has a chance. 

That's why I voted for them too.   Before the trade felt we stacked up  against both teams, now it's even better.   

Six players in the all-star game with a 32 team league, all deserving, and really Hronek should have gone too.    Maybe Lindholm would have stayed home under the old rules, maybe not.   Six we've never had that.  

Three players trending for 100 plus points, and one of them is a defenseman.   We've got our very own Brian Leetch.    And is the player that stirs the drink.    That's so rare.   And he's not EK of last year either.   Isn't cheating all the time trying to get his team back in the game.   Hronek on his own,  matches up just fine with most D's on the 94 or 2011 team as well.     Did it in Detroit, and he's doing it here.    Of course his stats went up, but he's also the reason why QHs has too.    Best line in hockey right now isn't Toews Makar , it's QHs Hronek.    That's special.    Demko is going to pass Cloutier soon.   Then Broduer.   In his second full season as a starter (injuries).  Also he's (knock on wood), truly having a season for the ages.    Could end up passing the 30 win bar, before he's 40 games,  and end up second, or tied for first all-time for wins in a season, and goose eggs (didn't say it!).    One of the best seasons we've seen from a Canucks goalie ever.    Amazing what having six legit NHL d's does for an already good goalie. 

There is still 32 games left.   Based on our winning percentage,  23-24 wins are up for grabs.   De-Smith will get some of those,  Demko however,  at his current rate, could end up challenging Luongo's seemingly unbeatable record.    Don't think Tochett will allow that ... but you never do know.   40 at this time, seems to be in the bank.    Right now Demko just won his 9th in a row, on his way to set a club record in that regard too.     Demko likely gets 28-30 of the remaining games.    He's pacing some massive records, and likely passes McLean for number two (92-93).    Going to obliterate Luongo's 2011-2012 campaign.   

Demko is already, won the 10th most games, of any goalie all-time.   I  just 36 games.   He should play 65 games.  Could play 70.   That gives him a shot anyways. 

Edit: Currently Demko is winning 75% of his starts.   If he plays 65 games, that's 49 wins. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, tas said:

seems like a no-brainer -- I know for a fact the 94 and 2011 teams couldn't get it done; the 2024 team still has a chance. 

Came here to say this. I will cheer for this team every year. This is the first time since 2012 that I thought we have a real chance at a big run. ‘94 and 2011 were amazing to watch but fell short by the smallest of margins. I am hoping this team enters the playoffs healthy and firing on all cylinders. There will be bigger challenges than we think. Teams like Vegas and Boston seem to have a way of getting better at the right times. Go Canucks go!

• Cheers 1