Who you taking?

Who you taking?   

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who you taking?

1 minute ago, ABNuck said:

There's that X-Factor...if the 94 team had 2 chances to bring home the cup like the 2011 team did, I believe we'd have one. In all honesty, from what I've seen from the previous 3 SCF teams, this current rendition seems to have ALL of the components (the truculence of 82 & 94, and the skill of 2011)...this could be the year!!! And the way that the standings are shaping up, how many on here want another shot at the Bruins just to shove it down their throats...to see Marchand weeping as we sweep them in 4!!!

The only thing this current team doesn't have is much playoff experience.  It generally takes some losing before winning it all.  

8 hours ago, cripplereh said:

1994 Bure hands down best.

Linden best leader

McLean so far best goalie in a playoff run.

I think people forget how good Bure was. Bure's elbow would scare half the 2011 team into not dressing.

Linden was my favorite but Bure was easily the best player for the Canucks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

I think people forget how good Bure was. Bure's elbow would scare half the 2011 team into not dressing.

Linden was my favorite but Bure was easily the best player for the Canucks.

16 goals in the playoffs that year.

For me, the 2011 team was good, maybe a little light at times, but can't deny they earned being there.

I gravitate more to the 94 team though. Less then 2 min and they were still in it in game seven.

This years bunch has a realistic shot at it. I'd make a move by the trade deadline. Shall we say someone on the second line?

Since the question is vague, I would have to take 2024 as they still have a chance.  1994 and 2011 have already been eliminated and 1982 is outraged at not having been included in the poll.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Demko/DeSmith WAY better than any previous goalie combo we've had.

sorry Danny and Hank.... but Petey + JT + Boeser are better.

Defence? ... we've never had a D that can score and clear the front and hit and run the offence like we have now.

PLUS Hughes is the closest to Bobby Orr 

Center depth is better, I like their D better too overall even if it doesn't have the Hughes high mark

Bit early to count chickens with this season's team though innit? 

Edited by Coconuts

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

2011 was the best team on paper and it isn't particularly close.

That said, the 2011 team was mentally fragile. I feel the 94 team had more of the intangible factor that you need to win in the playoffs. 

Hard to say how this team will fare since we haven't even made the playoffs yet. 

That's basically my thoughts. I'd still pick 2011 even if this year's team is winning me over. 1994 has a special place in heart though.

I wasn't around yet to see the 1994 team, so I'd have to say 2011 for now. However, something tells me the 2024 team is mentally tougher and it has a coaching staff who's won Cups when they were players themselves. Also neither team had a Quinn Hughes so that's also something to think about. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

2011 was the most elite team, lead the league in so many categories but sadly we just broke down over the playoffs. If I was being really critical, our core back then maybe wasn't "built" for the playoffs the way Boston's was. The Sedins were tough of course and Kesler was a mean S.O.B but all 3 of them got worn down over time. Then the big thing was our defence - we had an elite puck moving defence full of scoring, but maybe too much so. We had Edler who could hit but was a 40ish points corer, Ehrhoff was a 50 point scorer and not physical at all, Salo was a big goal scorer but not massively big or physical and then Hamhuis and Bieksa who were a fantastic shutdown pairing but no one was really big and physical to be fair. Then we go up against a monstrous Boston physical defence. Up front we had weedy guys like Samuelsson and Mason Raymond, but a great bottom-6 of gritty guys (Torres, Lapierre, Higgins).

You could maybe argue that the way PA has constructed our 2024 team, we're better built for the playoffs. Our core is elite yet again, Miller is the big key here - he's big, strong, physical, scoring well over what Kesler was (points wise at least) and can throw the body. Petey and Brock are a bit like the Sedins but I think come playoff time we might see them play a lot more attacking-physically (eg. throwing their bodies and hitting guys). I don't know if they'll endure hits the way the Sedins could though but we'll see. We've got a pretty character/gritty bottom-9 now. Defence is the game changer. We've got big physical shutdown guys there now which is exactly what you want for the playoffs. We've got arguably the best defenceman in the league which we lacked back then, and then another guy who's arguably top-5 or top-10 in the league in Hronek. Cole, Soucy, Myers and Zadorov are mirroring the Boston defence now.

Luongo vs Demko is an interesting one but Luongo was superb for us at times and then maybe the pressure/bad team in front of him in the finals blew him up.

I know it's early days and the 2011 team would destroy the 2024 team in a matchup because they had much better offensive depth, but I think in a 7 round series in the playoffs, our big physical defence would be the difference.

To me that's the difference.The 2011 team mainly stayed together where the 1994 team PQ made trades making the team way better for the playoffs.

Keep that team together in a regular season and no comparison.Plus McLean and Whitmore were for years in the top three goaltending duo's in league.

Bure was key we never had a player close to his skill unless you pick Mogilny.The twins were awesome but one on one vs Bure not even close.

If we got Bure a better center he would have set record which still would not be touched.

He asked for that but never got it.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, distantandvague said:

Took me a second to realize you meant McLean vs Luongo in the playoffs, because the save percentage wasn't even close in the entirety of that season. Plus Luongo's save percentage that playoff run gets skewed due to a couple of unsavory performances. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t the 94 club just barely make the playoffs then go on a magical playoff run? Whereas the 2011 team won the Presidents’ trophy and were favourites to win the Cup? 

Yes, the 2011 performed better in the regular season and 1994 performed better in the playoffs.  
We’ve had plenty of regular season success over the years.  It doesn’t really factor in to which team I’d rather have.

19 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

2011 had best set of centres, current team has best D, 94 was best on wing. 

To me the difference between 94, 2011, and this club is Hughes. Those other two clubs had good D but didn’t have the generational talent that Hughes is. He’s the very special kind of player that leads clubs to Cups. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Yes, the 2011 performed better in the regular season and 1994 performed better in the playoffs.  
We’ve had plenty of regular season success over the years.  It doesn’t really factor in to which team I’d rather have.

The 2011 club played two games to win the Cup. 94 had one game to win. Seems the 2011 club played better. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The 2011 club played two games to win the Cup. 94 had one game to win. Seems the 2011 club played better. 

Lol for real?  Is that the way you look at it?  
To each their own!  I’m sticking with what I originally explained.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

To me the difference between 94, 2011, and this club is Hughes. Those other two clubs had good D but didn’t have the generational talent that Hughes is. He’s the very special kind of player that leads clubs to Cups. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again...you have to take care of the middle of the ice to win it all. Talented 1C and 2C, a stud dman and a stud Tender.

2011 had Sedin, Kesler, Ehrhoff and Lu.

1994 had Linden, Ronning, Lumme and Capt. Kirk.

1982 had Gradin, Lupul, McCarthy and Brodeur.

This year we have Pettersson, (Miller...sort of), Hughes and Demko. I think it becomes obvious that if the Lotto line stays together, we'll need a 2C at the TDL. I like what Suter brings to the table, but he feels more like an elevated 3C than a natural 2C. It's a small hole to fill considering the talent on this team can trickle down, but if we had say Suter up with 40 and 6, then Miller centering the 2nd line we become more difficult to play against. But for now, Suter is doing just fine.

I also want to point out that the only Canadian kids we have in a regular to semi-regular role this year are Soucy and Juulsen...PDG is kinda less than semi-regular now (he'd be the third I guess).

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t the 94 club just barely make the playoffs then go on a magical playoff run? Whereas the 2011 team won the Presidents’ trophy and were favourites to win the Cup? 

Yes, but one of our top players in 1994, Petr Nedved, sat out the whole year and eventually was traded at the deadline for Hedican, Brown and Lafayette.  Once that trade was made we became a top team again, just in time for the playoffs...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, but one of our top players in 1994, Petr Nedved, sat out the whole year and eventually was traded at the deadline for Hedican, Brown and Lafayette.  Once that trade was made we became a top team again, just in time for the playoffs...

Yup, and playoff Linden, playoff Gelinas, and playoff Adams were something special.  They elevated their games in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

To me that's the difference.The 2011 team mainly stayed together where the 1994 team PQ made trades making the team way better for the playoffs.

Keep that team together in a regular season and no comparison.Plus McLean and Whitmore were for years in the top three goaltending duo's in league.

Bure was key we never had a player close to his skill unless you pick Mogilny.The twins were awesome but one on one vs Bure not even close.

If we got Bure a better center he would have set record which still would not be touched.

He asked for that but never got it.

We had Larionov who was the perfect centre for Bure, but Pat Quinn allowed him to walk away.  Biggest mistake Quinn ever made.  With Larionov we easily win the cup, maybe even 2 cups...

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Guy laid a huge fart for the Blues in the post season.  Dealt the Rangers where he continued laying farts that would make Leslie Nielson proud.  Only was able to reach career highs later when he was dealt to the Pens.  Where he was able to leech points from Super Mario, Mario Jr. & Ron Francis.

At least he was able to get Wayne Gretzky to autograph his hockey stick.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We had Larionov who was the perfect centre for Bure, but Pat Quinn allowed him to walk away.  Biggest mistake Quinn ever made.  With Larionov we easily win the cup, maybe even 2 cups...

False.

Quinn didn't let him walk.

Larionov loathed the Russian Hockey Federation (or some "organization" like that) taking a cut of whatever deal he signed (think that was an NHL agreement; hence the reason he didn't sign with any other NHL team) so the Professor went overseas.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

False.

Quinn didn't let him walk.

Larionov loathed the Russian Hockey Federation (or some "organization" like that) taking a cut of whatever deal he signed (think that was an NHL agreement; hence the reason he didn't sign with any other NHL team) so the Professor went overseas.

True.  He went overseas but Quinn didn't bother to bring him back.  That was the whole point.  He went to San Jose instead to play with Makarov versus coming back and playing with Bure...