[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Ask yourselves this…if Connor Bedard said the same thing in Chicago would we be saying “who wants an entitled prick?” Or would we be happy he was trying to find a way out of a dumpster fire?

Bedard is a different story, though.  Because everyone already knows what's going on in Chicago.  We all know they lost Kane and Toews, and are embarking on a massive rebuild.  We all know they brought on a bunch of players to help out who then either got injured or expelled (Perry/Hall).  And of course, we all know Bedard is playing first-line minutes, and seemingly enjoying the spotlight.

• ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

The entitlement argument has been completely laid to rest, from people here and by Jackets fans themselves.  Completely laid to rest.  If you paid attention to anything in Columbus this entire season you wouldn't say something so ridiculous.

I think there's a bit of a case to be made for some entitlement issues, given his comments about his play (though granted, some of that might certainly be excused by language barrier and/or simple frustration with his situation). That said, going to the media isn't the best look there either (again granted without knowing how much he/his management have already tried to deal with this behind closed doors).

And that's not to say he likely hasn't been mishandled, or that CBJ isn't being quite questionably managed. They're not mutually exclusive. It's quite possible he has been mis handled, the team mismanaged, he is frustrated and has tried to deal with this privately, and has some level of entitlement issues.  

Short of him being a complete problem child though, I'd HAPPILY have the Canucks trade for him if he's actually available...and we can get him for something around say Brzustewicz +

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think there's a bit of a case to be made for some entitlement issues, given his comments about his play (though granted, some of that might certainly be excused by language barrier and/or simple frustration with his situation). That said, going to the media isn't the best look there either (again granted without knowing how much he/his management have already tried to deal with this behind closed doors).

And that's not to say he likely hasn't been mishandled, or that CBJ isn't being quite questionably managed. They're not mutually exclusive. It's quite possible he has been mis handled, the team mismanaged, he is frustrated and has tried to deal with this privately, and has some level of entitlement issues.  

Short of him being a complete problem child though, I'd HAPPILY have the Canucks trade for him if he's actually available...and we can get him for something around say Brzustewicz +

Exactly this. Too good a player to ignore and it’s up to PA to judge if Jiricek is being mishandled or if he’s another Nedved/Hodgson. Weigh that against the cost and see if you want to roll the dice.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's too much of a low-ball.  I'd expect a return similar to Gauthier.

• Vintage 1

I'm never a fan when a player voices their issues with coaching/management to the media. This is especially true when it's a young player.

This is why players have agents. If a player has an issue with their situation they should tell their agent and the agent can handle it with team or even the media. Take Kuzmenko as an example. I'm sure he's frustrated by being scratched and having his minutes cut by Tocchet. However, he hasn't brought it up to the media. Instead, he talks to his agent and his agent talks to the team and also tells the media that they're working on it.

I haven't actually listened to any interviews with Jiricek so I don't know how much of a language barrier he has. It's certainly possible that his quote sounds worse than intended due to a language barrier issue.

There is obviously still a lot of upside to Jiricek's game, we wasn't named the best defenseman at the WJC last year for no reason. I can also understand why he might be frustrated with he situation if he thinks he is playing better than some other defensemen on the roster. But just because he might want out doesn't mean Columbus would be willing to give him up for less than an arm and a leg.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I'm never a fan when a player voices their issues with coaching/management to the media. This is especially true when it's a young player.

This is why players have agents. If a player has an issue with their situation they should tell their agent and the agent can handle it with team or even the media. Take Kuzmenko as an example. I'm sure he's frustrated by being scratched and having his minutes cut by Tocchet. However, he hasn't brought it up to the media. Instead, he talks to his agent and his agent talks to the team and also tells the media that they're working on it.

I haven't actually listened to any interviews with Jiricek so I don't know how much of a language barrier he has. It's certainly possible that his quote sounds worse than intended due to a language barrier issue.

There is obviously still a lot of upside to Jiricek's game, we wasn't named the best defenseman at the WJC last year for no reason. I can also understand why he might be frustrated with he situation if he thinks he is playing better than some other defensemen on the roster. But just because he might want out doesn't mean Columbus would be willing to give him up for less than an arm and a leg.

agreed, but what about when a coach publicly rips a player in the post game media scrum. Is that acceptable and if so, is that not a double standard?

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's fair, but that + would need to be a higher value than Brzustewicz.

As most can accept Brzustewicz isn’t anywhere close to Jiricek’s value, whom I imagine every other team would be interested in. Guy already has tangible NHL experience to assess and has shown at a very early stage that he could very well be a coveted fixture on any NHL team D. I’d say min decent 1st round pick and a high end prospect as a starter just to get Kek’s attention. Brzustewicz is still too raw and unproven to claim him to be a high end prospect and as such he would only end up being a sweetener, which could be a real loss if he ends up becoming more than serviceable. 

Could see a similar deal to the recent PHI - ANH trade working if they can’t resolve the situation in CBJ.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

That's too much of a low-ball.  I'd expect a return similar to Gauthier.

If it happens, it'll have to be Lekkerimaki.

Gauthier = Lekkerimaki

Drysdale = Jiricek

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

If we'd have to add, I don't think the addition is our 1st. They're not far off from each other in value, imo. Maybe add a 3rd, but not a 1st. 

Think a top pairing rhd is a good bit more valuable, than a winger be it top 6 or top line potential... Think the late 1st is added would be a fair assessment ...

Although him being unhappy puts it into a different light... 

Think there would be a bidding war for him, should he become available...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Pears said:

Kuzmenko and this years 1st for Jiricek. How close would that be?

Would we trade Willander for a very late 1st and a former 39 goals scorer, who has been benched on several occasions and only scored 8 goals on a free scoring team?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

To me if we are going to give our first away plus one of our best prospects I'd trade right now for Crosby.

Cap wise I just don't know how to get a deal done.

But I'd trade

Lekker,1st,Garland, Karlson,McDonough and fourth in two years.

Don't think that would be enough but to me that would make us an instant contender.I wouldn't want to give up much more so might never happen.

If it did I would then trade for Maroon to take Garland spot.

Sometimes things just come together and you shouldn’t mess with it. That is our third line. 
It has been the engine that drives this team. When you need someone for a tough matchup, you put them out.

When your little top 6 is getting buried you put them out there for energy. 
‘They are the straw that stirs the drink this season. 

You do not subtract Garland if you are really trying to win this year or next. 

I was all for trading him on the off-season but he put his stamp down hard on this team and should have a letter on his jersey. 
You do not move any of those 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Would we trade Willander for a very late 1st and a former 39 goals scorer, who has been benched on several occasions and only scored 8 goals on a free scoring team?

Has Willander shown his frustration about a very messy situation and is tired of being promised NHL time only to be sent back and forth between the NHL and AHL?

• Vintage 1

Just now, Pears said:

Has Willander shown his frustration about a very messy situation and is tired of being promised NHL time only to be sent back and forth between the NHL and AHL?

Nope....

But there will be a bidding war, should they decide to get rid of him... he is still on ELC for another 2 seasons, so they don't need to sell to the first bidder.

54 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think a top pairing rhd is a good bit more valuable, than a winger be it top 6 or top line potential... Think the late 1st is added would be a fair assessment ...

Although him being unhappy puts it into a different light... 

Think there would be a bidding war for him, should he become available...

Think Cutter Gauthier and Jamie Drysdale.  It was in fact ANA that added a 2nd round pick to a top pairing RHD that already had a 32 point campaign in the NHL.

Lekkerimaki isn't far off in value to Gauthier.

• Cheers 1

This kids ceiling, if he really wants out of Columbus and I'm not convinced they are at that stage, I think the press is just making noise and buying clicks with headlines, 2024 1st round pick and Kuzmenko.

But, he doesn't fit the, "Win Now" mentality here. He needs maturing before he's really ready to be a force in the NHL. We need someone who is solid and stable on the blueline if we are going to really go after the cup this year. Someone who eats shots from the point and spits out rubber thimbles.... Tanev or similar.