[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

On the Marek show this morning Friedman suggests CBJ has no intention of trading Jiricek. 

Also mentioned that he thinks there is no problem with Jiricek speaking out, that it was mature and that there has been some valid miscommunication between what CBJ mgmt has expressed to the player (especially “housing card”) in private, and that CBJ have made this bed themselves between them and the player. 

Edited by RWJC

Well, I guess I will wade into this...............

First off, I think when drafting Europeans, there are 2 distinct groups......The Swede/Finns and the Ruskies/Czechs........2 very different life styles growing up. The Swede's /Finns grow up with learning English in school, and have a much better grasp of it, where as in the later, do not, therefore search for words and often use a word that are negative in their response.

Further complicating this "can" be a reporter shoving his microphone in a kids face and looking for comments. The kid says what is on his mind, and bing bang boom, there is controversy. Sprinkle in the fact that Columbus, is just a tire fire and I think, there is a good chance there is more than 1 player who is grumbling. Yes, the kid needs to learn to shut his mouth, but he is 20............there is a possibility that the same thing could have applied to some of us at that age.

So, I think, we should reach for the stars............offer

Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki, Brzustewicz and a 1st

for 

Sillinger and Juricek

but ultimately we settle for

Kuzmenko, Lekkerimakki, Wallinder and a 1st

for 

Sillinger and Juricek

This is basically, blue chips for blue chips, but we get a top center(2nd line), and a stud Dman, who will grow up and even if he is not as offensive as we hope, will anchor our defensive side, for years to come.

IMO, I do not see alot of team offering up that. I also might add that Sillinger will be hard to get, but since Texxier is back, becomes a little more expendable, that and his production is not that, of past years.....but he is still a fit, and is actually a + player in Columbus.....

We should at least try!

@Bob Long @RWJC Comments?

Edited by JIAHN
  • Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

On the Marek show this morning Friedman suggests CBJ has no intention of trading Jiricek. 

Also mentioned that he thinks there is no problem with Jiricek speaking out, that it was mature and that there has been some valid miscommunication between what CBJ mgmt has expressed to the player (especially “housing card”) in private, and that CBJ have made this bed themselves between them and the player. 

They'd be foolish to move him, it's time to see what a new president/GM/coaching group can do

They're a rebuilding club, moving a potential 1-2D would be stupid

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

They'd be foolish to move him, it's time to see what a new president/GM/coaching group can do

They're a rebuilding club, moving a potential 1-2D would be stupid

Which is why blue chip for blue chip is the only way to get this done!

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes, CBJ needs new leadership. But their young players need to keep their mouths shut about ice time and such. 

It's cancer in a room. We've got great chemistry, in finding an addition we aren't looking for skill alone. No detractors and no floaters.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Maybe because he plays in a team environment where the play of the team as a whole affects the performances of its individual parts.

Have you ever heard the saying, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole ?

That's literally the definition of a good team.

As we know Columbus is the opposite of that. 

As many have pointed out, and management and the coaching department at Columbus leave a lot to be desired. 

No offense however I don't think much of your charts. 

As for who pays attention to points, management does when it comes to handing out salaries.

So let me get this straight - you're ignoring the fact that he's been in the pressbox for more than half of the games, you're ignoring the fact that Columbus media/fans are frustrated with him, and you're ignoring just about every advanced metric, all because Peeke has a couple assists?

You are probably the only person in the world who thinks Peeke is having a better season, and it's because you're tracking useless stats for a defensive D-man.  He has played objectively worse.  Everyone who actually watches CBJ games is saying that.  There are multiple articles out there.  Why are you trying to dispute that?

None of what you've said explains why he's barely played.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

PLD at $8.5M only has 20pts (10g 10a).  He’s still continuing his lazy “one zone” play and it’s getting tiring.

Canucks dodged a bullet and should thank CBJ for drafting PLD.

Canucks had a deal in place with MTL if PLD dropped to us in the draft that would have landed us PK Subban for that pick, dodged 2 bullets if you ask me 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Dont fully agree with this Alf. 
If you are lined up and working your ass off to be a top player, but are getting held back due to OBVIOUS poor management and coaching…… it’s fair to say something. 
These kids careers are short and he is getting screwed out of a chance to make millions.  
He is better than most the players they are icing.  
Instead of getting his chance to prove that, put up numbers and earn a solid next contract, he is getting held back in the AHL even though he is ready and better than half his teams d line. 

The kid has every right to be pissed. 
His career is getting fucked due to management incompetence 

That's his agents job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

So let me get this straight - you're ignoring the fact that he's been in the pressbox for more than half of the games, you're ignoring the fact that Columbus media/fans are frustrated with him, and you're ignoring just about every advanced metric, all because Peeke has a couple assists?

You are probably the only person in the world who thinks Peeke is having a better season, and it's because you're tracking useless stats for a defensive D-man.  He has played objectively worse.  Everyone who actually watches CBJ games is saying that.  There are multiple articles out there.  Why are you trying to dispute that?

None of what you've said explains why he's barely played.

I say this tongue and cheek, but you sir are ignoring the Tire fire in Columbus, with a GM and Coach that are not good!

1 minute ago, JIAHN said:

I say this tongue and cheek, but you sir are ignoring the Tire fire in Columbus, with a GM and Coach that are not good!

Ah yes, another thing that management is criticized for - they are now playing Peeke again.  Nobody wanted to see that, and they all think management is trying to boost his trade value.  Marginally.  And they're doing it at the expense of alienating one of their best defensive prospects.

13 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

First off, I think when drafting Europeans, there are 2 distinct groups......The Swede/Finns and the Ruskies/Czechs........2 very different life styles growing up. The Swede's /Finns grow up with learning English in school, and have a much better grasp of it, where as in the later, do not, therefore search for words and often use a word that are negative in their response.

Further complicating this "can" be a reporter shoving his microphone in a kids face and looking for comments. The kid says what is on his mind, and bing bang boom, there is controversy. Sprinkle in the fact that Columbus, is just a tire fire and I think, there is a good chance there is more than 1 player who is grumbling. Yes, the kid needs to learn to shut his mouth, but he is 20............there is a possibility that the same thing could have applied to some of us at that age.

for 

Sillinger and Juricek

for 

Sillinger and Juricek

This is basically, blue chips for blue chips, but we get a top center(2nd line), and a stud Dman, who will grow up and even if he is not as offensive as we hope, will anchor our defensive side, for years to come.

IMO, I do not see alot of team offering up that. I also might add that Sillinger will be hard to get, but since Texxier is back, becomes a little more expendable, that and his production is not that, of past years.....but he is still a fit, and is actually a + player in Columbus.....

We should at least try!

Hey buddy

That deal would help us right away and the valuations are pretty close.

Only wildcard is Jarmo.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

for 

Sillinger and Juricek

for 

Sillinger and Juricek

We should at least try!

totally agree with the post. Would love to pry both of those players out but think it’d be difficult to do and I really don’t want us to be giving up a Lek or Will right now. If we’re a cup fave, we need to reserve any big time asset trades for the now. Hate to bypass opportunity, but given CBJ has no intentions of moving Jiricek yet, I wouldn’t want to “overpay” for any malcontent. I’m cautious of that, despite me not having issue with what Jiricek is saying, it also takes two to tango. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

totally agree with the post. Would love to pry both of those players out but think it’d be difficult to do and I really don’t want us to be giving up a Lek or Will right now. If we’re a cup fave, we need to reserve any big time asset trades for the now. Hate to bypass opportunity, but given CBJ has no intentions of moving Jiricek yet, I wouldn’t want to “overpay” for any malcontent. I’m cautious of that, despite me not having issue with what Jiricek is saying, it also takes two to tango. 

And there's a chance one of those sides doesn't have the authority to ship out top young players/prospects

There's a good chance Jackets management and coaching staff are dead men walking so to speak

• Thanks 3

I can't stand young players that try to call their own shots with professional organizations, but that said... Jiricek is probably one of my top 5 favourite prospects in the game right now. Absolutely want this guy. 

And there's a chance one of those sides doesn't have the authority to ship out top young players/prospects

There's a good chance Jackets management and coaching staff are dead men walking so to speak

You have to think Jarmo has no authority left for a major deal.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

You have to think Jarmo has no authority left for a major deal.

Basically, I don't think there's any saving his job and shipping out the youth wouldn't do it anyway

BJ's need a culture change and that'll have to come from the top down

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Basically, I don't think there's any saving his job and shipping out the youth wouldn't do it anyway

BJ's need a culture change and that'll have to come from the top down

Objectively, what's Jarmo accomplished? I'm stunned he didn't get fired for the Babcock disaster. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, tas said:

🤣

harumph! 😤 I'm going to take my ball and go home!

You should go back to your post that I originally responded to. You said something to the effect that in situations where the team and the player

didn’t see eye to eye, that the team has never been wrong.

I respectly mentioned the Brett Hull situation with Ken Hitchcock., not expecting that this would turn into a big debate. In any event, you have more stamina for debating than I do.

Are you saying that you’re going to take your ball and go home? Okay. Seems an odd way to wrap up the discussion. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Objectively, what's Jarmo accomplished? I'm stunned he didn't get fired for the Babcock disaster. 

13 points in 55 NHL games? 34 points in 47 AHL games?

Overseeing the BJ's highlight of sweeping a monstrous Tampa Bay Lightning squad? That was actually impressive, but yeah, more the coaching staff and players.

Not a whole lot, and he's been on the job since 2013. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/8942900/columbus-blue-jackets-hire-jarmo-kekalainen-first-european-nhl-gm

So, IMHO, I think you go out and over pay for 2 players that would be important parts of the team for many years. Sillinger and Juricek will cost alot and IMHO, Columbus is a prime target to deal with right now.....

They need change, and I think Wallander and Lekkerimakki are both extremely highly thought of, and in someway equal to Sillinger and Juricek all by themselves, given Columbus's strength down the middle, and Juricek's perceived outspokenness

It basically moves the completion/ready to play up to "now". I would over pay for that, every day of the week, given where we are. I would offer more!

John Davidson's been CBJ's president since 2021, wonder if he's in the line of fire too. This is his second crack at it, he was president from 2012-2019, until he resigned and took over as president for the Rangers. 

As for the Babcock disaster, given it was so close to the beginning of the season I can understand why the BJ's organization would want to wait and see how things played out. 

But there's absolutely an argument for Jarmo having been turfed then. 

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

David Jiříček Seems Unhappy According To An Article From Aaron Portzline Of The Athletic

David Jiříček was a high draft pick for Columbus in 2022, but are the Jackets mismanaging him?
When David Jiříček was drafted in 2022 with the #6 overall pick, people everywhere in Columbus were excited. The future of the blueline was on the way for Columbus, especially when just six picks later they chose young defender Denton Mateychuk as well. Then after the 2023 draft, it all seemed to be falling into place. And then the 2023-24 season went off the rails, quickly. Now it seems if something can go wrong, it will, including the happiness and well-being of players. 

Yesterday, Aaron Portzline of The Athletic reported about the apparent "mishandling" of the young defenseman David Jiříček. 

In the article, Portzline says that both GM Jarmo Kekäläinen and Pascal Vincent do not believe he a top-6 defenseman on this Blue Jackets team, and that is the reason why he's been sent back to Cleveland, which is why he hadn't played an NHL game since January 9th. In a recent interview with an Edmonton radio station, Kekäläinen was quoted as saying, "I think that you never want to rush a defenseman in particular. That's probably the hardest position to play as a young man in the NHL, your mistakes get exposed right away, and your weaknesses. He earned his spot on our team. He's been back in Cleveland a couple times this year because if he's not in the lineup, we want him playing."

It's clear from Jiříček's quotes in Portzline's article that he's not happy. Young players want to play and sometimes forget that they're playing in a grown man's league this is true, but does Jiříček have a beef? He's played in 36 games for the CBJ this season. He has 1 goal and 9 points. 

Jiříček Quotes

• “I played good hockey in the NHL." 
  • “I’m an NHL player right now. That’s my opinion, that I should be in the NHL right now."
  • “I see guys from the same draft, like Simon Nemec (in New Jersey) and (Kevin) Korchinski (in Chicago) … they get a chance on the power play. They play a ton of minutes in the NHL. Those are different teams, so different situations, but I can compare with them. I just want a chance to play like that.”
  • “They told me the last game was not good enough for me,” Jiricek said. “I told them I don’t think so, but that’s your opinion. I was out of the lineup after that. A whole month now, it feels like I haven’t played.”

Portzline also noted that there was concern Jiříček might skip out on reporting to Cleveland, which would've been a catastrophic event for this franchise. How could you mismanage a 20-year-old so badly that they get tired of the ups and downs to the minors and simply quit? Or is it immaturity with Jiříček with him expecting to play? Of course, he expecting to play, he's always one of the first defensemen called up if he's not here already. Oh, and there's the fact that the CBJ front office told him to get a place in Columbus since he was here to stay it seemed. 

While I understand that Columbus doesn't want to "ruin" David Jiříček by playing him against guys like Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews, you have to take the training wheels off at some point. This is a lost season and has been since it started. There is no reason not to play David Jiříček. Playing Andrew Peeke over him makes no sense. 

What the Jackets should do is play Jiříček in Columbus as much as they can, and then closer to when they need to start stacking Cleveland's deck for when they make their AHL playoff run, send him to Cleveland to play some meaningful games. But scratching him, at any time, should not be in the plan. 

One last quote from Portzline's article we'll leave you with from HC Pascal Vincent, 

“I get it. My daughter wants her own car. She’s 13 years old. It’s the Amazon effect. Everybody wants it now.”

Is David Jiříček being "mishandled" this season? The answer is yes. 

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/columbus-blue-jackets/david-jiříček-seems-unhappy-according-to-an-article-from-aaron-portzline-of-the-athletic

I hope we don’t think Tocchet and Foote are going to let Jiricek run around like an idiot making a highlight tape and ignore his mistakes. 

Sounds like he needs to go to Chicago or some place where the expectations are low (or Columbus can flip to a rebuild.). 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

You should go back to your post that I originally responded to. You said something to the effect that in situations where the team and the player

didn’t see eye to eye, that the team has never been wrong.

I respectly mentioned the Brett Hull situation with Ken Hitchcock., not expecting that this would turn into a big debate. In any event, you have more stamina for debating than I do.

Are you saying that you’re going to take your ball and go home? Okay. Seems an odd way to wrap up the discussion. 

brett hull scoring 700 goals didn't make hitch wrong.