[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

What a tone deaf response:

image.png.ba460d7384eeb9379c59750312264eed.png

Yeah "the Amazon effect" a weird take in itself, let alone what's said afterwards.

So apparently Jiricek's a 13 year old kid. lol

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Being infantilized by the CBJ's head coach in the press is going to do wonders for the player/organization relationship. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Canuck fans questioning jiriceks morals here…. Like are we forgetting the culture in Vancouver up to just over a year ago ? Maybe the kid is being treated unfairly? It seems like there has been a lot of players wanting out of that market the past 5 years…. Look at the talent they have brought in through trades signings and drafting just to be back at the bottom of the league, wonder if there is a world we could do a willander or Hunter + swap 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

You have to think Jarmo has no authority left for a major deal.

Steve Dangles comment on the pod last week was great.

Steve "Did you know they replaced the cannon in Columbus"

Adam "No? They did"

Steve Steve "Yeah they replaced it with an old man and bread to feed all the lame ducks there" 

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Canuck fans questioning jiriceks morals here…. Like are we forgetting the culture in Vancouver up to just over a year ago ? Maybe the kid is being treated unfairly? It seems like there has been a lot of players wanting out of that market the past 5 years…. Look at the talent they have brought in through trades signings and drafting just to be back at the bottom of the league, wonder if there is a world we could do a willander or Hunter + swap 

Jiricek just turned 20 and is pouting for getting prime time in the ahl.  He wants free reign to be a PPQB with the nhl club.

Meanwhile, our current management is being lauded for keeping Lekkerimaki, Hoglander(last year), Podkolzin and Willander cooking. 

Tocchet is not above benching anyone if they aren’t pulling their weight.

This club actually did a great job letting young players like Petey, Hughes and Boeser develop when they earned it under Green (I wasn’t paying too much attention to rookies under Bruce).

Versus the disastrous years when we rushed Virtanen and McCann into the NHL.  

Lots of evidence that Columbus, for all their dysfunction, isn’t doing anything particularly egregious with Jiricek.  The fact is there’s some good players also on the team.  Coming out publicly whining about PP time when guys like Werenski annd Boqvist are around… even a guy like Provorov.  They are all more established and it’s a tough look to be asking for their ice time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Jiricek just turned 20 and is pouting for getting prime time in the ahl.  He wants free reign to be a PPQB with the nhl club.

Meanwhile, our current management is being lauded for keeping Lekkerimaki, Hoglander(last year), Podkolzin and Willander cooking. 

Tocchet is not above benching anyone if they aren’t pulling their weight.

This club actually did a great job letting young players like Petey, Hughes and Boeser develop when they earned it under Green (I wasn’t paying too much attention to rookies under Bruce).

Versus the disastrous years when we rushed Virtanen and McCann into the NHL.  

Lots of evidence that Columbus, for all their dysfunction, isn’t doing anything particularly egregious with Jiricek.  The fact is there’s some good players also on the team.  Coming out publicly whining about PP time when guys like Werenski annd Boqvist are around… even a guy like Provorov.  They are all more established and it’s a tough look to be asking for their ice time. 

There is even more evidence that Jiricek and every other young player on their team is being completely mismanaged.

Tell me - if your team is rock bottom in the standings, would you put Adam Fantilli (a centre) on the fourth line wing just so you can boost the trade value of some other guys?

Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser have never played in the AHL.

Edited by Miss Korea

2 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Well, I guess I will wade into this...............

First off, I think when drafting Europeans, there are 2 distinct groups......The Swede/Finns and the Ruskies/Czechs........2 very different life styles growing up. The Swede's /Finns grow up with learning English in school, and have a much better grasp of it, where as in the later, do not, therefore search for words and often use a word that are negative in their response.

Further complicating this "can" be a reporter shoving his microphone in a kids face and looking for comments. The kid says what is on his mind, and bing bang boom, there is controversy. Sprinkle in the fact that Columbus, is just a tire fire and I think, there is a good chance there is more than 1 player who is grumbling. Yes, the kid needs to learn to shut his mouth, but he is 20............there is a possibility that the same thing could have applied to some of us at that age.

So, I think, we should reach for the stars............offer

Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki, Brzustewicz and a 1st

for 

Sillinger and Juricek

but ultimately we settle for

Kuzmenko, Lekkerimakki, Wallinder and a 1st

for 

Sillinger and Juricek

This is basically, blue chips for blue chips, but we get a top center(2nd line), and a stud Dman, who will grow up and even if he is not as offensive as we hope, will anchor our defensive side, for years to come.

IMO, I do not see alot of team offering up that. I also might add that Sillinger will be hard to get, but since Texxier is back, becomes a little more expendable, that and his production is not that, of past years.....but he is still a fit, and is actually a + player in Columbus.....

We should at least try!

@Bob Long @RWJC Comments?

Even though I'm neither, I'll comment amigo.

I will find it hard to let go of Willander, who by all means are progressing as well as we could hope for atm, for a 'potentially self entitled Dman... 

Jiricek may be good, and it may not be his fault things aren't going to plan at Columbus, but find players voicing their displeasure through the media, less appealing. He sound like a me first player, and if he does become a player, I think he will be very demanding come contract time.

It may be an unfair assessment, but giving up on a blue chip RHD for a blue chip with a potential chip on his should doesn't sound too appealing to me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Good, maybe this will push Jiricek to request a trade. What a boneheaded response from the coach, and in public. Allvin will be all over this guy. Imagine our right-side in two years: Hronek, Jiricek, Willander, Juulsen, Woo, Hunter B. 

Suddenly our left side will need more depth after Hughes, Soucy, Zadorov.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Good, maybe this will push Jiricek to request a trade. What a boneheaded response from the coach, and in public. Allvin will be all over this guy. Imagine our right-side in two years: Hronek, Jiricek, Willander, Juulsen, Woo, Hunter B. 

Suddenly our left side will need more depth after Hughes, Soucy, Zadorov.

If you can lock down the RHD side of things with 3 solid top 4 RHD, the LHD side is so much easier to fill.  But imagine...

Hughes-Jiricek

Zadorov-Willander

Soucy-Hronek

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, tas said:

says who? you?

Yes i do.

I have had experience in helping athletes becoming the best they can be.

You can have all the talent in the world, however if you don't have belief and confidence in your talent then you aren't going to get far. 

David didn't insult or belittle anyone, he actually praised his AHL coaches, he just expressed a belief in his ability to compete at the highest level.

That's a quality I want in an athlete.

We have seen when teams don't develop and athlete properly.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-why-columbus-needs-to-be-careful-with-frustrated-prospect-david-jiricek/

" Jiricek can beat goalies at any level with a clapper or snap shot from range. He's a power play threat waiting to happen. He has always produced offense along every stop in his development. "

Last year he proved his worth with in the AHL, with 38 points in 55 games.

Taking into account the statement above, the logical step is to give him some time on the second PP unit in the NHL as part of his natural development curve.

"My boy, you can take it from me 

That of all of the afflictions accurst 

With which a man's saddled 

And hampered and addled 

A diffident nature's the worst 

Though clever as clever can be 

A Crichton of early romance 

You must stir it and stump it 

And blow your own trumpet

Or, trust me, you haven't a chance

If you wish in the world to advance 

Your merits you're bound to enhance

Or, trust me, you haven't a chance "

Gilbert and Sullivan 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Yes i do.

I have had experience in helping athletes becoming the best they can be.

You can have all the talent in the world, however if you don't have belief and confidence in your talent then you aren't going to get far. 

David didn't insult or belittle anyone, he actually praised his AHL coaches, he just expressed a belief in his ability to compete at the highest level.

That's a quality I want in an athlete.

We have seen when teams don't develop and athlete properly.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-why-columbus-needs-to-be-careful-with-frustrated-prospect-david-jiricek/

" Jiricek can beat goalies at any level with a clapper or snap shot from range. He's a power play threat waiting to happen. He has always produced offense along every stop in his development. "

Last year he proved his worth with in the AHL, with 38 points in 55 games.

Taking into account the statement above, the logical step is to give him some time on the second PP unit in the NHL as part of his natural development curve.

"My boy, you can take it from me 

That of all of the afflictions accurst 

With which a man's saddled 

And hampered and addled 

A diffident nature's the worst 

Though clever as clever can be 

A Crichton of early romance 

Or, trust me, you haven't a chance

If you wish in the world to advance 

Your merits you're bound to enhance

Or, trust me, you haven't a chance "

Gilbert and Sullivan 

it's cute that you think your alleged background gives you some unique insight, but it's just hubris. 

Just now, tas said:

it's cute that you think your alleged background gives you some unique insight, but it's just hubris. 

" Insults are the arguments employed by those in the wrong " 

JJR 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, tas said:

no insult intended whatsoever. 

then don’t call someone’s opinion or history “cute”. That’s obviously both demeaning and belittling/insulting, and I think you’re well aware of that. You’re no better than anyone here, and it’s shows a weakness to insult someone and then hide behind semantics. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

no insult intended whatsoever. 

Then why accuse me of hubris ?

Hubris, excessive pride or self confidence.

I use to have no confidence/belief in myself at all.

I didn't believe my parents at first  when they told me if you believe in yourself 100 percent and put in 100 percent, I could achieve whatever I put my mind to.

It was only when I actually put that into practise, applying myself to free skiing that I found out, that was indeed true.

I don't believe I am very talented, it was that belief in myself and being totally driven to being the best, that I became one of the best freeskiers here in Aus back in the day. 

As for the rest of our discussion, I have provided facts, and also logical reasons why David should, as part of his development curve, be provided with more opportunities.

You have simply insulted him.

Calling him a narcissist.

That's what being called self entitled means.

To be narcissistic.

I drafted David in the CFFGML in his draft year and have followed his career before and after he was drafted. 

I don't believe he has a narcissistic character.

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

then don’t call someone’s opinion or history “cute”. That’s obviously both demeaning and belittling/insulting, and I think you’re well aware of that. You’re no better than anyone here, and it’s shows a weakness to insult someone and then hide behind semantics. 

👍

7 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Then why accuse me of hubris ?

Hubris, excessive pride or self confidence.

I use to have no confidence/belief in myself at all.

I didn't believe my parents at first  when they told me if you believe in yourself 100 percent and put in 100 percent, I could achieve whatever I put my mind to.

It was only when I actually put that into practise, applying myself to free skiing that I found out, that was indeed true.

I don't believe I am very talented, it was that belief in myself and being totally driven to being the best, that I became one of the best freeskiers here in Aus back in the day. 

As for the rest of our discussion, I have provided facts, and also logical reasons why David should, as part of his development curve, be provided with more opportunities.

You have simply insulted him.

Calling him a narcissist.

That's what being called self entitled means.

To be narcissistic.

I drafted David in the CFFGML in his draft year and have followed his career before and after he was drafted. 

I don't believe he has a narcissistic character.

because you referred to having developed pro athletes a half dozen times throughout this conversation as if it has any relevance whatsoever when it doesn't. 

you know who knows more about developing NHL hockey players than you? every single person in every single NHL organization. columbus has absolutely nothing to gain by torpedoing their top prospect. 

Getting back to topic.

CBJ's need a retool in management.

Think if I was the owner I would start there.Ni trades or anything till they settle in house first.

Get a plan,interview players and see who wants out.Then reshape the team as it is seems a shake up is needed to get back winning.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Yeah "the Amazon effect" a weird take in itself, let alone what's said afterwards.

So apparently Jiricek's a 13 year old kid. lol

the idea is to read between the lines and extrapolate. 

he's saying the kid wants too much too fast because that's what our culture encourages, and that he needs to learn to trust the process and that the team that drafted him second overall genuinely has his best interests at heart because, shocker, his best interests are their best interests. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

because you referred to having developed pro athletes a half dozen times throughout this conversation as if it has any relevance whatsoever when it doesn't. 

you know who knows more about developing NHL hockey players than you? every single person in every single NHL organization. columbus has absolutely nothing to gain by torpedoing their top prospect. 

Where did I say pro athletes ?

I stated athletes.

A few went on to compete at the top levels of their sports, MTB, Skiing and Snowboarding.

One of my happiest moments was when this kid, Dan, told me at the end of the season, 

" thanks for all your help Dave, not so much for skiing but how you taught me it's more important to treat others the way you want to be treated yourself, the life lessons you have taught me "

You know that some teams are better at developing talent than others ?

As other people in this thread have pointed out, Columbus have shown with other prospects that their ability to develop them properly could be called into question.

That both the Blue Jackets management and coaching departments have questions hanging over them.

The talent is there however the results aren't. 

And it's not just that, as I have pointed out, you have insulted a person you don't really know at all.

On the basis of one media report. 

16 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Getting back to topic.

CBJ's need a retool in management.

Think if I was the owner I would start there.Ni trades or anything till they settle in house first.

Get a plan,interview players and see who wants out.Then reshape the team as it is seems a shake up is needed to get back winning.

totally. They have the bones for a great team in the future. They need to refocus around supporting that. 

They’ve really bungled this up, especially when instead of plotting course through the most obvious path - restructuring towards their prospects and younger players - they gambled and loaded up on these high value term contracts that inevitably will saddle them and become negative value soon enough if this team continues to flounder. And this comes at the expense of the youth development. So they’ve potentially not only disrupted their own progression, they’ve also taken on assets that might cost them in terms of devaluation if trying to trade. 
it’s really bad positioning.

The complacency now though is what is concerning, because it seems like there are opposing forces within the org as to how to have proceeded in the first place. Perhaps Kek and Davidson felt a need to gamble such as their contracts are coming due? Who knows. Just very strange dynamic but at least they can now potentially dangle some intriguing pieces at TDL and compensate/add flexibility that way. 

agree wholeheartedly though. I would find new mgmt/coaching immediately before trading any significant pieces but if that’s not in the cards, then at least ownership should have everyone on a short leash and any potential roster moves under lock and key. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

the idea is to read between the lines and extrapolate. 

he's saying the kid wants too much too fast because that's what our culture encourages, and that he needs to learn to trust the process and that the team that drafted him second overall genuinely has his best interests at heart because, shocker, his best interests are their best interests. 

David was drafted 6th overall.