[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Where did I say pro athletes ?

I stated athletes.

A few went on to compete at the top levels of their sports, MTB, Skiing and Snowboarding.

One of my happiest moments was when this kid, Dan, told me at the end of the season, 

" thanks for all your help Dave, not so much for skiing but how you taught me it's more important to treat others the way you want to be treated yourself, the life lessons you have taught me "

You know that some teams are better at developing talent than others ?

As other people in this thread have pointed out, Columbus have shown with other prospects that their ability to develop them properly could be called into question.

That both the Blue Jackets management and coaching departments have questions hanging over them.

The talent is there however the results aren't. 

And it's not just that, as I have pointed out, you have insulted a person you don't really know at all.

On the basis of one media report. 

you're entitled to side with the player, I don't care either way, but you telling individual athletes to believe in themselves doesn't give your opinion added weight in my mind. 

as far as jiricek's situation, I have no doubt that he's in a lacklustre organization, but at the same time, when you're told outright by your coach that your play wasn't good enough, it's not something where you're entitled to an opinion. the coach decided the expectations and whether or not you're meeting them, it's really not up for debate. do you see how silly "you're wrong, I am meeting your expectations" sounds? the perspective of the coach is ultimately what matters. 

this seems like a case where a kid, who probably isn't a bad egg, looks around and sees that he could absolutely play at the nhl level right now based on how the other guys on the team are performing, but doesn't realize that his ambition isn't in his best interests. playing nhl minutes and getting caved in and having your confidence destroyed and learning bad habits and only learning what losing feels like is not the right path for a 19 year old defenseman. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

CBJ's need a retool in management.

Think if I was the owner I would start there.Ni trades or anything till they settle in house first.

Maybe their ownership could take a page out of Franquilini's book - proposition a HHOF Builder Inductee in person (and then flying them out via private jet) to be their new PoHO.  

Let's see:

Pierre Lacroix No, dead

Ken Holland No, employed

Jim Rutherford No, employed

Pat Quinn No, dead

Fred Shero No, dead

Jim Devellano Maybe? Moving from Sr. VP to PoHO might be a promotion...

:hurhur:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe their ownership could take a page out of Franquilini's book - proposition a HHOF Builder Inductee in person (and then flying them out via private jet) to be their new PoHO.  

Let's see:

Pierre Lacroix No, dead

Ken Holland No, employed

Jim Rutherford No, employed

Pat Quinn No, dead

Fred Shero No, dead

Jim Devellano Maybe? Moving from Sr. VP to PoHO might be a promotion...

:hurhur:

I don't know who, but they have to start ASAP with interview.Get a couple ex players who know the game in there as coaches or something.In the summer get your GM.

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

I don't know who, but they have to start ASAP with interview.Get a couple ex players who know the game in there as coaches or something.In the summer get your GM.

How about Mike Sillinger?  I hear he's been around town a bit.  :hurhur:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Earn ice and shut trap. Do we want this kind of attitude on our club? 

Alfred let’s expand for one second.

For the same reason that affects most teams, you have to play your high cap hit players even when struggling to justify paying the salary. With what they are paying out in salary on D in CBJ, they have no choice. But that is a self inflicted wound. This is the problem. They arent roatating or benching these guys in order to enable the youth some experience regardless of the circumstance and no one is being held accountable. As such, the players have no consistency which is what is required to build at any level…reps. 

There is no ice time available…and that comes with TERM contracts. 
Do you see how CBJ just dimmed the lights on their D prospects for arguably 2-3 seasons? That’s quite shortsighted. They can obviously change course and make moves but it’s still regression across the board.

He has earned ice. Most definitely over some other players and was previously promised the ice time and an opportunity. Sure it’s a business and absolutely there is protocol and hierarchy, but if you’re mired in a shitshow last year but this year only worse, and they just added two guys in front of your end goal that both have term, protection and price tag, it’s a kick in the nuts. It’s a signal that you’re going to be a black ace for a bit and it seems to me rarely do those players end up not being typecasted that way.

He needs the competition and shown he can hang at the NHL level. I wouldn’t want to be used as AHL call up fodder either if I was potentially en elite athlete. 
but that’s what they signalled when they stacked their D right up. Same boat for Blankenburg.

If I was the player I don’t think I would have gone to media but I wouldn’t hesitate to immediately request a trade out in offseason and just bide time and dominate in Cleveland until then. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, The Duke said:

Jiricek just turned 20 and is pouting for getting prime time in the ahl.  He wants free reign to be a PPQB with the nhl club.

Meanwhile, our current management is being lauded for keeping Lekkerimaki, Hoglander(last year), Podkolzin and Willander cooking. 

Tocchet is not above benching anyone if they aren’t pulling their weight.

This club actually did a great job letting young players like Petey, Hughes and Boeser develop when they earned it under Green (I wasn’t paying too much attention to rookies under Bruce).

Versus the disastrous years when we rushed Virtanen and McCann into the NHL.  

Lots of evidence that Columbus, for all their dysfunction, isn’t doing anything particularly egregious with Jiricek.  The fact is there’s some good players also on the team.  Coming out publicly whining about PP time when guys like Werenski annd Boqvist are around… even a guy like Provorov.  They are all more established and it’s a tough look to be asking for their ice time. 

I understand where you are coming from but have you watched that kid play??? He deserves nhl time now! Especially on a bottom feeder, Columbus management has been in question for a long time I’m def siding with the super talented kid eager to get a bigger role that he has 100% earned 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Earn ice and shut trap. Do we want this kind of attitude on our club? 

I agree with that scouting analysis article about the level of his talent, his strengths and the development curve he should be taking.

Would I have him on the Canucks ?

In a heart beat.

Talent to burn and what seems like a real desire to succeed.

I would hire a person like this in any job.

https://unionandblue.com/posts/david-jiricek-should-be-playing-in-the-nhl

" I get that it's important to let young players grow at their own pace. Especially defenseman. I also agree that having young players play nightly is better for their development. Jiricek has actually played pretty well. Aside from the occasional mistake, he's NHL ready and he is being blocked by players who have underperformed. "

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

you're entitled to side with the player, I don't care either way, but you telling individual athletes to believe in themselves doesn't give your opinion added weight in my mind. 

as far as jiricek's situation, I have no doubt that he's in a lacklustre organization, but at the same time, when you're told outright by your coach that your play wasn't good enough, it's not something where you're entitled to an opinion. the coach decided the expectations and whether or not you're meeting them, it's really not up for debate. do you see how silly "you're wrong, I am meeting your expectations" sounds? the perspective of the coach is ultimately what matters. 

this seems like a case where a kid, who probably isn't a bad egg, looks around and sees that he could absolutely play at the nhl level right now based on how the other guys on the team are performing, but doesn't realize that his ambition isn't in his best interests. playing nhl minutes and getting caved in and having your confidence destroyed and learning bad habits and only learning what losing feels like is not the right path for a 19 year old defenseman. 

For starters thats a lot better than insulting the kid, calling him self entitled ergo a narcissist. 

And thats only your opinion that he doesn't belong in the NHL.

I have provided 2 sources that state he is.

The second source provides video and break down commentary of his positives and negatives.

https://unionandblue.com/posts/david-jiricek-should-be-playing-in-the-nhl

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-why-columbus-needs-to-be-careful-with-frustrated-prospect-david-jiricek/

9 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I understand where you are coming from but have you watched that kid play??? He deserves nhl time now! Especially on a bottom feeder, Columbus management has been in question for a long time I’m def siding with the super talented kid eager to get a bigger role that he has 100% earned 

Yes I get the feeling many of the people who are bagging this kid out have not followed his career.

I have.

As I have stated, I drafted him in the CFFGML, read every scouting report I could get my hands on. Watched a shitload of video of him, followed his career closely.

David has performed at every level so far.

He has earned his chance.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Alfred let’s expand for one second.

For the same reason that affects most teams, you have to play your high cap hit players even when struggling to justify paying the salary. With what they are paying out in salary on D in CBJ, they have no choice. But that is a self inflicted wound. This is the problem. They arent roatating or benching these guys in order to enable the youth some experience regardless of the circumstance and no one is being held accountable. As such, the players have no consistency which is what is required to build at any level…reps. 

There is no ice time available…and that comes with TERM contracts. 
Do you see how CBJ just dimmed the lights on their D prospects for arguably 2-3 seasons? That’s quite shortsighted. They can obviously change course and make moves but it’s still regression across the board.

He has earned ice. Most definitely over some other players and was previously promised the ice time and an opportunity. Sure it’s a business and absolutely there is protocol and hierarchy, but if you’re mired in a shitshow last year but this year only worse, and they just added two guys in front of your end goal that both have term, protection and price tag, it’s a kick in the nuts. It’s a signal that you’re going to be a black ace for a bit and it seems to me rarely do those players end up not being typecasted that way.

He needs the competition and shown he can hang at the NHL level. I wouldn’t want to be used as AHL call up fodder either if I was potentially en elite athlete. 
but that’s what they signalled when they stacked their D right up. Same boat for Blankenburg.

If I was the player I don’t think I would have gone to media but I wouldn’t hesitate to immediately request a trade out in offseason and just bide time and dominate in Cleveland until then. 

Yes I still don't understand why they brought in both Provorov and Severson.

I can see why they would want to bring in one veteran presence, however with the youthful talent they have waiting and ready to play in the NHL , it didn't make sense to bring both those players in, IMO. 

Totally agree with your assessment about being a potential elite athlete, and treatment as such.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but I'd rather keep Willander

Something around Sillinger could be interesting, with what looks to be another lottery pick on the way I could see them moving a young center 

Which isn't to say I don't like Jiricek, but I don't believe CBJ has any interest in moving him, and they shouldn't 

I don't know brother, I would rather have Jiricek than Willander.

David has out performed Tom at every level.

Don't get me wrong I like Tom, however if I had to choose....

It's not a certainty that Tom will even play in the AHL next year, it's looking like another year in college might be better for his development.

This could be a debate in its own.

David has shown that he already belongs in the NHL 2 years after his draft.

My only concern during his career was when he had that knee injury at the WJC.

He seems to have had no problems since.

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I don't know brother, I would rather have Jiricek than Willander.

David has out performed Tom at every level.

Don't get me wrong I like Tom, however if I had to choose....

It's not a certainty that Tom will even play in the AHL next year, it's looking like another year in college might be better for his development.

This could be a debate in its own.

David has shown that he already belongs in the NHL 2 years after his draft.

My only concern during his career was when he had that knee injury at the WJC.

He seems to have had no problems since.

Absolutely not Jurijack over Willander. Juijack is a puck sucker baby whiner loser Mac doodle. Just say no to that craperolla bustaroo. 

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

There is even more evidence that Jiricek and every other young player on their team is being completely mismanaged.

Tell me - if your team is rock bottom in the standings, would you put Adam Fantilli (a centre) on the fourth line wing just so you can boost the trade value of some other guys?

Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser have never played in the AHL.

I’m not going to argue that Columbus is running things great overall.  They’re doing a lot of dumb stuff.

Re: Fantilli, I’d rather just let him play in the AHL in all situations than the 4th line.  Agreed that’s dumb.  Not sure what the rules are for him… like how we had to keep McCann with the big club after a hot 10 games but were stuck when he slowed down. It was a mistake.

Petey, Hughes and Boeser all played fantastic hockey their first pro seasons. No need to play in the AHL.  They were ready and they earned their top time. Jiricek has 9 points in 36 games, with some big mistakes defensively from what you’ve said yourself.   He also has some decent young/prime offensive d men ahead of him. Letting him be the man in the AHL is fine right now, especially with how dysfunctional the big club is.  

With that said, I don’t expect him to like the demotion - that comes with being a high level athlete.   I just don’t like the idea of it getting aired in the media.  

I’d also still trade for the guy if they were giving him away (they won’t), as he’s still likely to be a stud, I just wouldn’t expect Tocchet or PA to gift him anything ahead of Hughes or Hronek when it comes to offensive deployment - and he’d likely be in Abby when we were fully healthy this year anyways. “It’s not a development league” and all that.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

If you can lock down the RHD side of things with 3 solid top 4 RHD, the LHD side is so much easier to fill.  But imagine...

Hughes-Jiricek

Zadorov-Willander

Soucy-Hronek

Talk about balanced D. If Allvin can pull off Jiricek, I'll get a Canucks jersey with PA's name on the back hahaha.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

I can buy that Columbus should sell some pieces in front of him and do a little retool (or more).  For sure.  And I agree that I have no problem with Jiricek wanting the spotlight and believing in himself.  I just don’t like airing that stuff out in public.

For his development he’s probably just as well served playing 25+ in the AHL as anything else.  It’s a silly situation though - it looks like Werenski gets the prime PP time with Boqvist, Provorov and Severson getting secondary time.  Those guys can all bring O from the back end - kind of weird they ever thought about bringing Jiricek into the NHL at all this year.  I know he’s better than Guddy or Peeke but he doesn’t want their ice time anyways.

This club also has Jake Bean, another former high pick known as a puck mover.  When they finally fire Jarmo and figure this tire fire out I hope PA is circling, could be some diamonds in the rough down in Columbus.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

Just now, The Duke said:

I can buy that Columbus should sell some pieces in front of him and do a little retool (or more).  For sure.  And I agree that I have no problem with Jiricek wanting the spotlight and believing in himself.  I just don’t like airing that stuff out in public.

For his development he’s probably just as well served playing 25+ in the AHL as anything else.  It’s a silly situation though - it looks like Werenski gets the prime PP time with Boqvist, Provorov and Severson getting secondary time.  Those guys can all bring O from the back end - kind of weird they ever thought about bringing him into the NHL at all this year.  I know he’s better than Guddy or Peeke but he doesn’t want their ice time anyways.

This club also has Jake Bean, another former high pick known as a puck mover.  When they finally fire Jarmo and figure this tire fire out I hope PA is circling, could be some diamonds in the rough down in Columbus.

Watching the Javkets pkay and really there isn’t much there. They are a team of puck suckers. They have young baby whiners and older craperolla. There isn’t one pkayer from them we would want. 

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

And thats only your opinion that he doesn't belong in the NHL.

I'm smart enough not to have an opinion because I've never watched the kid play. 

that's the opinion of the organization whose sole desire is for him to succeed. 

Edited by tas

28 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm smart enough not to have an opinion because I've never watched the kid play. 

that's the opinion of the organization whose sole desire is for him to succeed. 

Well you did have an opinion, you called him entitled.

That's a narcissistic personality trait.

You not only had an opinion, you were insulting the kid.

Well if you have read my posts, I have followed his career closely.

Watched a shitload of video going back to before he was drafted.

Read scouting reports.

That's why I am commenting.

I have provided sources that back up my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Well you did have an opinion, you called him entitled.

That's a narcissistic personality trait.

You not only had an opinion, you were insulting the kid.

Well if you have read my posts, I have followed his career closely.

Watched a shitload of video going back to before he was drafted.

Read scouting reports.

That's why I am commenting.

I have provided sources that back up my opinion.

again, my issue was with the kid's retort and his expectations. I find it unseemly.

and, again, when it comes to evaluating the kid's performance and development and best interests, i defer to the people whose jobs depend on it.