[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Jeezus. A year ago people would have killed to have a team in the playoffs.

Now people want to mortgage the future for one run.

In contrast though, if you have experienced , multiple stanley cup winning members of your coaching and mgmt group who are deciding to “mortgage the future”, wouldn’t you expect they believe it’s because it will lead to more than one run…?

Remember, Allvin is the one who candidly and publicly has stated he’s ready to go all in if the right deal presents itself.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

That's why our GM should be all over this as young players don't come to market that often.

Improves us now and for years to come.Jiricek would be so happy coming to a contender.

Agreed but at the same time it all comes down to cost. 
If im PA my standing offer is our 1st, Raty and either EPD or Brzustewicz (either of whom I’m loathe to trade yet).

• Cheers 3

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jiricek is a stud.  He was my #1 choice in the 2022 draft.  Columbus is a Mickey Mouse team with a horrible coach and a horrible GM who should have been fired years ago.  Jiricek is obviously frustrated at playing for such a shit organization.  

Imagine being a 20 year old stud and watching two plugs like Peeke and Gudbranson playing ahead of you?  I would be frustrated too.  

Allvin needs to be all over this.  You can never have enough RHD.  If we acquired Jiricek we could even trade Hronek instead of paying him $7.5 million a year.  Jiricek will be a legit top paring Dman.  Jiricek and Willander will anchor our right hand side for the next 15 years…

What!?  There was a period of like three months where you put Peeke in every single proposal to bring him here.  He's just as bad as he was last year!

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I wonder how many 4th round picks it would take.  I’d easily give up 20.  Two decades without a pick in the 4th round… but what are the chances we find a stud RHD there in that time?  Slim to none I’d say.

Or, maybe D-Petey and a cool dozen 4th round picks.  Still a lot of 4th round picks and a guy who might be a really solid 3rd pair guy one day.  

• Haha 1

The problem with David Jiříček that he's playing a style of game that'll drive coaches absolutely crazy.  He's a rookie who isn't generating a lot of offence or defence, and isn't very physical.  But what he does do is take a bunch of silly penalties (ie. hooking, holding, tripping calls) without laying any actual hits.  The #1 rule for any rookie in hockey is to stay out of the box.  Compared to Šimon Nemec, their performances have been night and day.

image.png.f0b0cac9747160ad52d8831dc8769cef.png image.png.6426d2beee9876252c17732bd6324b88.png

Having said that, Jiříček definitely hasn't gotten a fair shot.  Columbus has done some truly braindead shit this season.  Management knew he was coming up, and yet they brought in Provorov and Severson on an already backlogged blueline.  They've moved Fantilli to the wing.  They've demoted Kent Johnson.  And now it seems they're showcasing Peeke and Roslovic just get some picks back in return.  Is getting a 3rd round pick for Peeke really worth giving up Jiříček??

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

These comments seem like a pretty big red flag. Not to say that the BJ org isn't a shitshow, but the kid was only drafted a year and a half ago and his comments make him seem incredibly entitled. 

Jiříček has always been a very outspoken player, even in the world juniors.  There is nothing wrong with a player speaking his mind, especially when he's right about a lot of things.  Columbus has not put him in a chance to succeed.  Imagine you're a defenceman and you can get drafted into the D-man factory that is Nashville... and then you get picked by Columbus.  That franchise is a complete mess and every single move they've made from the offseason to today has been a complete mess.

That's not to say Jiříček's made the most out of his opportunities (see my above post), but being drafted by CBJ really really sucks.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Anybody do lekkerimaki for Jiricek 1 for 1?

Was just thinking that.

Doubt Columbus does a deal unless it’s for another high profile young player.

Winger for RHD is a good swap. We could definitely use more top 4 D in the system.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Jiříček has always been a very outspoken player, even in the world juniors.  There is nothing wrong with a player speaking his mind, especially when he's right about a lot of things.  Columbus has not put him in a chance to succeed.  Imagine you're a defenceman and you can get drafted into the D-man factory that is Nashville... and then you get picked by Columbus.  That franchise is a complete mess and every single move they've made from the offseason to today has been a complete mess.

That's not to say Jiříček's made the most out of his opportunities (see my above post), but being drafted by CBJ really really sucks.

Think that is why most teams will start with a low-ball offer.

The problem with David Jiříček that he's playing a style of game that'll drive coaches absolutely crazy.  He's a rookie who isn't generating a lot of offence or defence, and isn't very physical.  But what he does do is take a bunch of silly penalties (ie. hooking, holding, tripping calls) without laying any actual hits.  The #1 rule for any rookie in hockey is to stay out of the box.  Compared to Šimon Nemec, their performances have been night and day.

image.png.f0b0cac9747160ad52d8831dc8769cef.png image.png.6426d2beee9876252c17732bd6324b88.png

Having said that, Jiříček definitely hasn't gotten a fair shot.  Columbus has done some truly braindead shit this season.  Management knew he was coming up, and yet they brought in Provorov and Severson on an already backlogged blueline.  They've moved Fantilli to the wing.  They've demoted Kent Johnson.  And now it seems they're showcasing Peeke and Roslovic just get some picks back in return.  Is getting a 3rd round pick for Peeke really worth giving up Jiříček??

Further to that, is showcasing Peeke really worth delaying the progression of your highly touted first round pick who was promised regular NHL ice time for this year prior to those D acquisitions? 

Regardless though, Jiricek now has a rep as a potential malcontent. Seems like there is a certain level of entitlement amongst the next gen of potential NHL rookies considering how much opportunity is immediately presented to some of their 1st round pick peers. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Was just thinking that.

Doubt Columbus does a deal unless it’s for another high profile young player.

Winger for RHD is definitely a good swap. We could definitely use more top 4 D in the system.

What about a full blown youth blockbuster...

To VAN

Kent Johnson

David Jiricek

To CBJ

Jonathan Lekkerimaki

Hunter B

A pick?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What about a full blown youth blockbuster...

To VAN

Kent Johnson

David Jiricek

To CBJ

Jonathan Lekkerimaki

Hunter B

A pick?

We need centers and D so it makes sense for us.

I have no idea what Columbus would want though. Doubt Jarmo is even around long enough to make this trade.

Edited by DeNiro

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Anybody do lekkerimaki for Jiricek 1 for 1?

Easily. We can land a young winger for any of Willander/Jiricek/Brzustewitz.

But if I’m Jarmo I’m only moving him for another blue chip D or maybe C.

Just now, RWJC said:

Further to that, is showcasing Peeke really worth delaying the progression of your highly touted first round pick who was promised regular NHL ice time for this year prior to those D acquisitions? 

Regardless though, Jiricek now has a rep as a potential malcontent. Seems like there is a certain level of entitlement amongst the next gen of potential NHL rookies considering how much opportunity is immediately presented to some of their 1st round pick peers. 

Two points you're making here.

1) Of course it's not worth it - Peeke has been hot garbage this year.  They are showcasing how bad he is now.

image.png.d8e79b4ead5676bd8479f6c240feab1e.png

2) I think this trend is a good thing overall.  It's about time the players had more autonomy and put some heat on poor management.  The alternative for Jiříček would be to just suck it up and continue playing on a team that has no idea WTF they're doing.  If you're a top-10 pick, and as you sign a contract the team also acquires 2 more D-men to take your spot away, is it not right for them to express disappointment and frustration?  Why is it only in hockey that if you're stuck in a bad situation, you have to just keep quiet?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

We need centers and D so it makes sense for us.

I have no idea what Columbus would want though. Doubt Jarmo is even around long enough to make this trade.

I was going to say as well, if I’m the owner I’m firing GM and coach before I let them move a piece like this.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Jeezus. A year ago people would have killed to have a team in the playoffs.

Now people want to mortgage the future for one run.

I get the feeling the Canucks management while open to adding bigger pieces will probably not be mortgaging as much of the future as has been suggested around here. retain Kuzmenko and continue to work with him molding him into a productive player under Tocchet. 

The team has already shown they can play against any club in the league as currently constructed. Have added solid depth pieces already and have developed others re: Juulsen and a multitude of good pieces simmering in Abby.

I could see moving a good pick and good piece NOT off the roster to bring in another younger player or players to continue to grow with this core. Think Jokiharju and/or Mittelstadt out of Buffalo. I think an outside chance a Lindholm type is added more so due to the familiarity with people in management and the slight possibility of an extension here.

I could even be ok with management selling high on Myers by the deadline to regain say a second or other futures as well here.

Regardless, there is no great pressure to make more additions to the club as it has already proven to be a top threat in the league as currently constructed. 

• Upvote 1

Two points you're making here.

1) Of course it's not worth it - Peeke has been hot garbage this year.  They are showcasing how bad he is now.

image.png.d8e79b4ead5676bd8479f6c240feab1e.png

2) I think this trend is a good thing overall.  It's about time the players had more autonomy and put some heat on poor management.  The alternative for Jiříček would be to just suck it up and continue playing on a team that has no idea WTF they're doing.  If you're a top-10 pick, and as you sign a contract the team also acquires 2 more D-men to take your spot away, is it not right for them to express disappointment and frustration?  Why is it only in hockey that if you're stuck in a bad situation, you have to just keep quiet?

Didn’t you just post a graphic saying how bad he’s been?

But he’s okay to pop off to the press about a lack of PP time. That doesn’t jive. It’s also not him advocating for himself - he or his agent could go give Jarmo an earful and it would be fine, but he’s doing it through the press.  

As a coach, teammate or manager, I wouldn’t appreciate that.

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I get the feeling the Canucks management while open to adding bigger pieces will probably not be mortgaging as much of the future as has been suggested around here. retain Kuzmenko and continue to work with him molding him into a productive player under Tocchet. 

The team has already shown they can play against any club in the league as currently constructed. Have added solid depth pieces already and have developed others re: Juulsen and a multitude of good pieces simmering in Abby.

I could see moving a good pick and good piece NOT off the roster to bring in another younger player or players to continue to grow with this core. Think Jokiharju and/or Mittelstadt out of Buffalo. I think an outside chance a Lindholm type is added more so due to the familiarity with people in management and the slight possibility of an extension here.

I could even be ok with management selling high on Myers by the deadline to regain say a second or other futures as well here.

Regardless, there is no great pressure to make more additions to the club as it has already proven to be a top threat in the league as currently constructed. 

But Alvin did say he is always looking to make the team better.

If we mad a deal this will bring in another solid RHD moving forward.

Depends on the cost.

• Cheers 1

I'm torn. On the 1 hand I don't like whinners who make demands at such a young age, sends shivers of entitlement down my spine. On the other hand, there are people like Garland,  who wanted a trade or more playing time, and when granted more time became very effective indeed. The big difference here is the age and dues paid by the player. No to Willander, maybe a 2024-1st, Friedman & Podz.