[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

I think our package starts with Brzustewicz, a roster D, and a 1st round pick. Jiricek is a special special player and hasn't been given a fair shot in CBus... not to mention Columbus is a tire fire in their own right now. Jarmo Kekalainen needs to be fired.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, old guy said:

I'm torn. On the 1 hand I don't like whinners who make demands at such a young age, sends shivers of entitlement down my spine. On the other hand, there are people like Garland,  who wanted a trade or more playing time, and when granted more time became very effective indeed. The big difference here is the age and dues paid by the player. No to Willander, maybe a 2024-1st, Friedman & Podz.

That's close to what I said but that no they would want more.I just do not want us giving up our big three young guys.

I said Karlson,1st and Friedman.

Add Hunter B. that might get it done,change Karlson and Podz if they would rather have him.

Anything more I'd stay away from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

20 and complaining about PP time?  

He wouldn’t be happy here as he wouldn’t get a sniff of PP1 for years.

My thoughts exactly... He'd be on the 3rd pair here.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

That's why our GM should be all over this as young players don't come to market that often.

Improves us now and for years to come.Jiricek would be so happy coming to a contender.

It sounds like ice time is his bigger concern. It's not like the Canucks can slot him into the top 4, especially if we hope to make a run. Experience will be paramount.

1 hour ago, tas said:

no thanks to entitlement. 

Not necessarily entitlement. Their GM told him to buy a place in Columbus and was alluding to the fact he'd be seeing regular NHL minutes all year. That hasn't been the case, as he's been regularly scratched in favour of Gudbranson, Peeke, and Boqvist, while also being sent far away to their AHL affiliate recently. CLB fans want their GM canned.

If your boss promised you something and didn't deliver on any of it, you'd be frustrated too, no?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

Not necessarily entitlement. Their GM told him to buy a place in Columbus and was alluding to the fact he'd be seeing regular NHL minutes all year. That hasn't been the case, as he's been regularly scratched in favour of Gudbranson, Peeke, and Boqvist, while also being sent far away to their AHL affiliate recently. CLB fans want their GM canned.

If your boss promised you something and didn't deliver on any of it, you'd be frustrated too, no?

maybe he should play better. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

My initial reaction was this was a red flag for me also but the more I read about it r/bluejackets I see that fans are really pissed at Jarmo and his treatment of Jiricek. Tells him to get a place in Columbus but keeps sending him back to Cleveland, signs Severson to an 8 year deal, Guddy’s still has 2 more years with a NMC, and after that it’s Peeke, Bean & Blankenburg.

Still don’t like a kid going to the media but if Jarmo is botching this as badly as they’re saying I’d overlook it for a guy this talented.

IMG_0923.jpeg

I think it’s his attitude right now….

he smartens up he has a shot….

for now play d….   

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Jiříček has always been a very outspoken player, even in the world juniors.  There is nothing wrong with a player speaking his mind, especially when he's right about a lot of things.  Columbus has not put him in a chance to succeed.  Imagine you're a defenceman and you can get drafted into the D-man factory that is Nashville... and then you get picked by Columbus.  That franchise is a complete mess and every single move they've made from the offseason to today has been a complete mess.

That's not to say Jiříček's made the most out of his opportunities (see my above post), but being drafted by CBJ really really sucks.

Then you handle it internally. For as much of a dumpster fire as Columbus is, this just makes it look that much worse, which can trickle down into a lot of things and just compound the problems. What young defenseman is going to want to sign with the BJs now? Imagine if we were going through a bad spell and one of our high end prospects was talking this much shit? 

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Then you handle it internally. For as much of a dumpster fire as Columbus is, this just makes it look that much worse, which can trickle down into a lot of things and just compound the problems. What young defenseman is going to want to sign with the BJs now? Imagine if we were going through a bad spell and one of our high end prospects was talking this much shit? 

Co Ho?

Bure?

Lonny Bohonnos?

Does happen

Not gonna lie, a lot of those quotes are worrying. Pod for Jiricek at best. And even then, he won't be seeing powerplay time here with Hronek and Huggy. Lol. And coaching staff seems like they've been told we can't scratch Myers. So when healthy where does he even slot? I'd still take a stab at trying to acquire him. Jarmo is a weird dude. Maybe they are just genuinely fumbling the guy.

38 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

I think it’s his attitude right now….

he smartens up he has a shot….

for now play d….   

I won’t argue that because I’m a guy who doesn’t like it when players go public with their gripes (especially a 20yr old) but BJ fans are almost unanimously pissed with Jarmo that he’s not playing & the way he’s being handled. Maybe they aren’t communicating their plans and expectations well. Management here would handle him differently. As far as his D goes he has the second highest +/- for D after Werenski. Jake Bean isn’t even within sniffing distance.

If this was Bedard griping publicly I’m thinking we’d be receptive…

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Didn’t you just post a graphic saying how bad he’s been?

But he’s okay to pop off to the press about a lack of PP time. That doesn’t jive. It’s also not him advocating for himself - he or his agent could go give Jarmo an earful and it would be fine, but he’s doing it through the press.  

As a coach, teammate or manager, I wouldn’t appreciate that.

There is a trend where voices should be muzzled in the NHL.  Players realized that doesn't benefit them at all.  Regardless of age, a player should have the right to fight for himself.  And if he wishes to do it publicly, so be it.  The sooner players find that out for themselves the better.  It's like a strike - sometimes that's what it takes.

He isn't playing great but he should be ahead of a few guys.  No doubt about that.

53 minutes ago, tas said:

maybe he should play better. 

He isn't playing great but he sure as hell is playing better than Boqvist or Peeke.  They are literally treating their best D prospect like a ragdoll just so they can squeeze a little extra trade value off their rejects.

The only reason you think this way is because you haven't followed the train wreck that is the Columbus Blue Jackets.  Go ask any CBJ fan - they totally get where Jiricek is coming from and they pretty much all agree this makes management look bad, not the player.

36 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

That's the point - nobody wants to actually sign with Columbus.  Gaudreau was insane.  That franchise is cursed with mismanagement from top to bottom.  Ask any Jackets fan.  They have suffered and there is little to look forward to despite having some promising prospects.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • ThereItIs 1

some team will give him a real chance if not CBJ.

he's confident in himself and has great potential.

i like those type of players when they end up being able to back it. jury's out for me on that still through.

think he just needs to be afforded some consistency to prove it but not sure if that roster in CBJ is his best shot anyway.

he's just being real as to what he thinks he can provide a team. i admire his being so candid about it. he's not arrogantly saying he's better than anyone else or exaggerating his skill set, he's just arguing his case as a player. the format or outlet doesn't matter if it means shining a light on something you think is unfair. maybe his agent has already had discussions with mgmt and its gone nowhere. maybe he thinks the coaching has hindered his and other CBJ rookies development a touch? maybe he just sees himself being viewed as an asset? it hasn't been the smoothest ride in CBJ for anyone the last while.

just because a team drafts you doesn't mean you owe them a damn thing, especially if they aren't going to provide you possibilities that they promise you they will. sure he has to earn what he's requesting, but people treat certain loyalties to oneself as though its out of line. its not. its the earmark of being competitive and driven.

if you don't believe an entity that owns you actually has your best interests at heart - at a time in your career where its highly important you define your place in the league so that you have a future to flesh out - then F them. hate to say it but its still all a business, and like i said, you have no rights as a player really when you enter the league. highly touted first round draft pick? you're immediately a central commodity of a 3/4 billion $ corporation that has made many glaring mistakes.

you have to look out for yourself sometimes too.

he's now set a higher bar for expectations due to his comments. it'll be very interesting to see if he can reach or exceed it so early in his career.

Edited by RWJC

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I won’t argue that because I’m a guy who doesn’t like it when players go public with their gripes (especially a 20yr old) but BJ fans are almost unanimously pissed with Jarmo that he’s not playing & the way he’s being handled. Maybe they aren’t communicating their plans and expectations well. Management here would handle him differently. As far as his D goes he has the second highest +/- for D after Werenski. Jake Bean isn’t even within sniffing distance.

If this was Bedard griping publicly I’m thinking we’d be receptive…

Yes, what is the plus minus due to his great play his partner or perhaps the quality of his opponents or maybe even sheltered minutes?

7 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

Yes, what is the plus minus due to his great play his partner or perhaps the quality of his opponents or maybe even sheltered minutes?

Could be. I’m just saying that according to fans he should be playing in Columbus and his stats kind of back that up.

• Like 1

So last time we faced CBJ Elvis sounded off and this time Jiricek. 

I would love to get Jiricek. His stats don't look great but one thing I noticed. 

image.thumb.png.0f603b16c9f2211fcd2a2e54feb8acbe.png

He leads all their D in some pretty important stats. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

So last time we faced CBJ Elvis sounded off and this time Jiricek. 

I would love to get Jiricek. His stats don't look great one thing I noticed. 

image.thumb.png.0f603b16c9f2211fcd2a2e54feb8acbe.png

He leads all their D in some pretty important stats. 

Again, I’m gonna ask the question again is it due to him playing sheltered mid maybe maybe he’s playing against shelter opponents when you’re averaging 14 minutes a night you can find very specific moments to look very very good. Even cal Foote from Tampa Bay Lightning looked pretty good for a couple of seasons. 

• Cheers 1

would love to have jiricek here as he's cheap and easily slots into the top 4 D and have the potential to overtake hronek in a few years.. but he would not get a sniff of PP time here in vancouver because our PP coach is stupid and stubborn. he would rather put a guy like suter (nothing against him) on PP1 than run with a traditional 2 D when Hronek is more than capable and prolly a better option imo than suter.. what's the biggest thing we've been missing on our PP1 in years?? a big booming shot from the point which none of the guy on our pp1 provide well maybe EP he prolly have the hardest shot of the bunch.. but because we refuse to run a traditional pp formation.. jiricek wouldn't want to play here as he won't be given even pp2 time as hronek will be playing the pp2.

Just now, MidKnight Ego said:

Again, I’m gonna ask the question again is it due to him playing sheltered mid maybe maybe he’s playing against shelter opponents when you’re averaging 14 minutes a night you can find very specific moments to look very very good. Even cal Foote from Tampa Bay Lightning looked pretty good for a couple of seasons. 

Oh 100%. 

I doubt he's getting top line matchups. But it still shows he's hanging in the NHL winning his matchups. I don't follow CBJ maybe he sucks pucks. I'm not sure why he isn't hitting? It was a staple of his game when he was drafted.  

We have a team who has struggled for years to find the right mix.  Maybe their success has something to do with the young core coming of age but I think that any Canucks fan could agree that changes made between this year and last improved the team massively.  Now we have a proposal to give up significant assets for a 20 year old 6OA malcontent from a crappy organization.  Hard pass.