[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

agreed, but what about when a coach publicly rips a player in the post game media scrum. Is that acceptable and if so, is that not a double standard?

Actually it's not.That is the coaches job to get the right reaction from players.It works just not all the time.

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

So why are they playing Peeke and Boqvist, who are objectively worse?

Maybe the coach is trying to send a message for his entitiled attitude, maybe they are showcasing the other guys to trade them, maybe Jiricek doesn't play the system, maybe he hit on the coach's wife.  Truth is, I don't care, a guy this young who has accomplished nothing in the NHL shouldn't be this entitled.  I think he will be a great player, but I don't want us to give up the really good assets we would have to, to get a guy who might be just as unhappy here and might disrupt the good thing we have going.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Actually it's not.That is the coaches job to get the right reaction from players.It works just not all the time.

that’s my point though. We aren’t privy to what kind of communication had gone on behind the scenes, yet the player is being chastised for speaking out on his own behalf. I appreciate loyalty but If a coach can use the media to “get a reaction”, then so can the player in response. I’m not necessarily condoning it becoming routine, but the game is changing in the way it operates on and off the ice and potential franchise tag rookies have a lot more control over their future than in the past. 

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Seems a lot more likely ownership turfs management than it is the BJ's trade top prospects 

lol management fumbled big time after the debacle with Babcock and then going out to promote their current coach that prolly isn’t qualify to be a head coach. The talent is there on Columbus.. but they don’t have a coach that knows how to extract that talent like torts did with Columbus and now with Philly. The players prolly checked out on the coach who have no idea what he is doing tbh. Looking at that defence roster not sure how jiricek isn’t even getting a sniff on the pp. should just play the kid and let him work thru his mistake if he makes them. He ain’t learning sitting on the bench 

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol management fumbled big time after the debacle with Babcock and then going out to promote their current coach that prolly isn’t qualify to be a head coach. The talent is there on Columbus.. but they don’t have a coach that knows how to extract that talent like torts did with Columbus and now with Philly. The players prolly checked out on the coach who have no idea what he is doing tbh. Looking at that defence roster not sure how jiricek isn’t even getting a sniff on the pp. should just play the kid and let him work thru his mistake if he makes them. He ain’t learning sitting on the bench 

Coaching and management are the issues in Columbus, this current management should not be making moves of significance imo

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Yeah, and Columbus doesn't have anything to play for, really, except for their professional pride. But the playoffs are not possible for them. So why not let the young kids play and figure it out (at least with Jiricek, not saying fill the entire roster of just kids).

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Think Cutter Gauthier and Jamie Drysdale.  It was in fact ANA that added a 2nd round pick to a top pairing RHD that already had a 32 point campaign in the NHL.

Lekkerimaki isn't far off in value to Gauthier.

I agree completely. I would say that Jiricek doesn’t have the recent injury history of Drysdale though. Could be nothing could be something. 

One question I have for everyone is:

IF we had to include either: Podkolzin or Lekkerimaki to make it work, which player are you trading away. 

In an ideal world we see both of them with us long-term. But IF we do push chips in, I see those two as being the possible targets of other teams. And in that unfortunate situation, I think I hang onto Lekkerimaki. 

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, and Columbus doesn't have anything to play for, really, except for their professional pride. But the playoffs are not possible for them. So why not let the young kids play and figure it out (at least with Jiricek, not saying fill the entire roster of just kids).

I thought jiricek is fine tbh on Columbus he’s better than like 4-5 other options on their defence. He’s too good imo for the ahl and more than good enough on their current roster but the coach doesn’t want to let him play thru mistakes and learn.. he’s a -1 on this bad Columbus team.. that’s pretty impressive 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I agree completely. I would say that Jiricek doesn’t have the recent injury history of Drysdale though. Could be nothing could be something. 

IF we had to include either: Podkolzin or Lekkerimaki to make it work, which player are you trading away. 

In an ideal world we see both of them with us long-term. But IF we do push chips in, I see those two as being the possible targets of other teams. And in that unfortunate situation, I think I hang onto Lekkerimaki. 

I'd keep Podz because he's defensively sound, strong, and further along in his development. Letting him go after developing him to this point would be selling early.

13 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

To get Juricek? Would for sure do Podzilla. 

Just some background on the player. This article is from Aug 14 2023 and prior to what he’s shown so far this season:

https://thehockeywriters.com/blue-jackets-prospects-summer-update-david-jiricek-2023/

Blue Jackets’ Prospects Summer Update: David Jiricek

August 14, 2023 by Mark Scheig

The Blue Jackets entered the 2022 NHL Draft looking to continue the momentum they started in 2021 by adding top prospects to their team. They were able to add Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger and Corson Ceulemans to the mix in the first round in 2021. But they still lacked a true, game-changing defensive prospect. After Simon Nemec went second overall to the New Jersey Devils, one player was still available that fit the definition of game-changing defenseman. When Logan Cooley, Shane Wright and Cutter Gauthier went third, fourth and fifth, the Blue Jackets couldn’t run to the stage fast enough. They got their guy at sixth overall.

David Jiricek Check-In

How Acquired: Drafted by the Blue Jackets 6th overall in the 2022 NHL Draft.

2022-23 Teams: Cleveland Monsters, Columbus Blue Jackets.

2022-23 Stats: Recorded 6-32-38 in 55 games in his first North American pro season with the Monsters. Jiricek also appeared in four games for the Blue Jackets.

2023-24 Contract Status: Has three more seasons left on his current deal at $918,333 that was signed in July 2022. Jiricek’s contract has slid once since. Will become an RFA after the 2025-26 season.

Expected 2023-24 Teams: Columbus Blue Jackets, Cleveland Monsters.

Expected Role in 2023-24: If Jiricek starts with the Monsters, he will be the unquestioned top defenseman on the team. If he sees time with the Blue Jackets, the potential is there for him to earn a top-four role depending on injuries and opportunity.

2022-23 Season Recap

Jiricek lasted until the very end before the Blue Jackets sent him to the Monsters to start the 2022-23 season. The fact that he was one of the last cuts suggest that he impressed enough already that he warranted a longer look.

As soon as Jiricek arrived in Cleveland, he started to impose himself. He showed the offensive flash everyone was talking about. In three games from Oct 21-Oct 23, he recorded assists in all three while showing how capable he was on the power play.

Then just 16 days after being assigned the Monsters, the Blue Jackets had a need to call Jiricek up. Adam Boqvist broke his foot. Jiricek then appeared in four games. While he looked ok during that callup, it was clear his time was best served in the AHL. Of note, he did become the second-youngest defenseman in franchise history to make his NHL debut. Only Rostislav Klesla was younger.

Jiricek was sent back to the Monsters. He was called up one more time in November but that was short lived when the team ultimately decided to call Jake Christiansen up while sending Jiricek back to the Monsters. Based on how the rest of the season went, it was a shrewd move by the Blue Jackets to keep him in the AHL. He then started to produce one of the best 19-year old AHL seasons in recent memory.

On Nov 18, Jiricek recorded his first two professional goals in a 7-3 win against the Laval Rocket. Both came on the power play. He showed that he will not hesitate to shoot the puck when given the chance.

Then Jiricek was called to play at the World Junior Championships for Czechia. He showed on the world stage why he is highly thought of. He helped his team get to overtime of the gold medal game against Canada before falling 3-2 on a goal by Dylan Guenther. But it was his goal against Sweden in the semifinals that will be long remembered.

With just 38.8 seconds left in a 1-0 game, Jiricek’s blast tied the game to send it to overtime. The celebration on the bench said it all. It was a huge moment for Czechia. Jiri Kulich won that game in overtime to ensure nothing less than a silver medal.

Jiricek finished the 2022-23 season with six goals, four of which came on the power play. His 38 points was third in rookie scoring for defensemen. His 0.69 points per game was first in the AHL for rookie defensemen who played at least 50 games.

2023-24 Season Outlook

Jiricek will begin the 2023-24 season as one of the top stories at the beginning of training camp. He will compete for a roster spot against seven incumbent defensemen each under a one-way contract and each counting over $2 million against the salary cap. The competition for roster spots also goes well beyond these eight.

If Jiricek is going to win a roster spot out of camp, he will have to be clearly better than everyone else. If he’s just as good as the incumbents, the Blue Jackets can send him to Cleveland. They can afford to be patient with his development. If he is clearly the best, then things get very interesting as to how the Blue Jackets would handle that situation. Expect Jiricek to get a majority of preseason games to show everyone where he is at.

Jiricek’s role could evolve as the season wears on. On one night, he could be the Monsters’ top defenseman playing over 20 minutes and in every key situation. On another night, he could be on the Blue Jackets playing a key role on the right side. The possibility exists that he could finish the season in the Blue Jackets’ top-four next to either Zach Werenski or Ivan Provorov depending on what other moves may or may not happen.

A successful season for Jiricek would see him thrive in the AHL as one of its best defensemen. It would also see him start to take important steps towards becoming a franchise pillar defenseman for the Blue Jackets. There is a lot expected out of him as time goes on. The 2023-24 season will be the next step in trying to become one of the NHL’s premier defensemen.

Biggest Questions in 2023-24

• Where will Jiricek start the season? The numbers seem to suggest he’ll start in the AHL. But you do remember the injury situation last season, don’t you? He is one injury away from seeing significant time with the Blue Jackets. His training camp will be one that we’re watching very closely.
  • How will Jiricek handle lofty expectations? When you’re the sixth-overall pick in your draft year and widely considered one of the best prospects in the world, expectations naturally come with that. How he handles the ups and downs of a long season knowing so much is expected from him will be something interesting to monitor.

Final Thoughts

The 2023-24 season for Jiricek will be one that could see him take significant steps in his defensive development while establishing himself as one of the best young blue liners in the game. The fact that he’ll either be Cleveland’s top defenseman or learning alongside the likes of Werenski and Provorov will do wonders for him.

I do think we need to tone down the expectations a little. Playing and learning defense in the NHL is one of the hardest things to do as a young player. There’s still a learning curve. He will have many excellent nights, but he’ll also have many learning opportunities along the way.

If everything goes according to plan in 2023-24, Jiricek could be a day one starter in 2024-25 and will never look back. Get used to hearing his name. We’re going to hear it a lot as the years go on.

Further to all this, I think people need to understand how bad CBJ has been for its prospects as of late. All 4 top prospects have been bounced between leagues or in the case of Fantilli forced to play on a 4th line LW role so that others can play C meanwhile this team is the drizzling shits. What about Blankenburg? WTF. Look  at who is playing over who on a team in such disarray. The best thing that franchise could do for itself right now is pump the brakes on a couple vets and allow their kids to play. The season is meaningless. Jump starting their future is inherently their best option at the moment, yet they added term and salary to consume the TOI over these kids and it’s been a complete failure, with a carnival act sideshow with their entire coaching department. It’s an absolute mess. 

so for those who still think that it’s out of line for a young player to protect themselves, it’s not just Jiricek. 
fantilli, blankenburg, Johnson and now Jiricek have all voiced or displayed to some degree a tangible disappointment with the org. Add in Merzlikins very bold trade request and that should be enough to give credence as to why a player would use the media to voice concern. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

Just now, RWJC said:

Further to all this, I think people need to understand how bad CBJ has been for its prospects as of late. All 4 top prospects have been bounced between leagues or in the case of Fantilli forced to play on a 4th line LW role so that others can play C meanwhile this team is the drizzling shits. What about Blankenburg? WTF. Look  at who is playing over who on a team in such disarray. The best thing that franchise could do for itself right now is pump the brakes on a couple vets and allow their kids to play. The season is meaningless. Jump starting their future is inherently their best option at the moment, yet they added term and salary to consume the TOI over these kids and it’s been a complete failure, with a carnival act sideshow with their entire coaching department. It’s an absolute mess. 

so for those who still think that it’s out of line for a young player to protect themselves, it’s not just Jiricek. 
fantilli, blankenburg, Johnson and now Jiricek have all voiced or displayed to some degree a tangible disappointment with the org. Add in Merzlikins and that should be enough to give credence as to why a player would use the media to voice concern. 

Maybe there are some spoiled babies in that young CBJ group? 

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I thought jiricek is fine tbh on Columbus he’s better than like 4-5 other options on their defence. He’s too good imo for the ahl and more than good enough on their current roster but the coach doesn’t want to let him play thru mistakes and learn.. he’s a -1 on this bad Columbus team.. that’s pretty impressive 

I wonder what it'll take to pry him away from Columbus. I think he could probably slot into the line up here in Van, no? 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

To get Juricek? Would for sure do Podzilla. 

I get the sense that if Podkozlin goes to Columbus, his career might just fall off. That organization right now is terrible for any young player, and Podz wasn't handled the right way here either. But it would be for more than Podkolzin. 2024 1st, Podkolzin, and another prospect. 

4 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I definitely hang onto Lekkerimaki, he has a higher ceiling than Podkolzin. But who are we kidding? Other GM's know just as much that Podkolzin's development has stalled a little bit, and that Lekkerimaki after his WJ performance, is the better prospect. If I'm Columbus, I'm asking for Lekkerimaki, 2024 1st, and another player. Jiricek is a good player, but could he be damaged goods as well? 

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder what it'll take to pry him away from Columbus. I think he could probably slot into the line up here in Van, no? 

nothing i don't think management have the green light to trade any asset not named roslovic/laine/provorov. they going to bring in new management/coach in the summer and re-evaluate everything.. besides while he will slot in nicely in the #2 spot behind hronek.. he's going to be in the exact same situation in columbus.. the sedins and gonchar are dead set on the 4 forward 1 defenceman set even if we have a better option in hronek on the point blasting pucks than suter on the top pp unit jiricek will not even a sniff on pp2.. honestly as great as the sedins were.. you can see the current powerplay is very reminiscent of the sedins pp back in the days.. slow passing very limited movement always looking for the perfect pass instead of like the other top powerplays in the league.. quick movement.. see a lane open? blast.. they tend to forget.. there's no sedin twins on the pp.. not everyone can do what they do lol...

if they are going to move jiricek or johnson.. it'll take nothing less than a willander or a lekkerimaki as a starting point... i don't mind it as jiricek or johnson or both nhl ready.. lekkerimaki is prolly still another year away and willander 2-3 at least.. but jiricek won't be happy here either if they don't even give him a chance on the PP which is what will happen unless he somehow climbs ahead of hronek on pp2

7 hours ago, DixonWard said:

Maybe the coach is trying to send a message for his entitiled attitude, maybe they are showcasing the other guys to trade them, maybe Jiricek doesn't play the system, maybe he hit on the coach's wife.  Truth is, I don't care, a guy this young who has accomplished nothing in the NHL shouldn't be this entitled.  I think he will be a great player, but I don't want us to give up the really good assets we would have to, to get a guy who might be just as unhappy here and might disrupt the good thing we have going.

that's always a risk though when you're making a trade. even if Jiricek didn't go through the media the way he did, sometimes a player doesn't gel with their new team for whatever reason (relational dynamics?). But yeah, I hear you. Jiricek is 19 years old, hasn't accomplished anything in the NHL, and he's coming out and throwing the organization under the bus. I wonder if other GM's are going to use that to get the kid for cheaper. 

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nothing i don't think management have the green light to trade any asset not named roslovic/laine/provorov. they going to bring in new management/coach in the summer and re-evaluate everything.. besides while he will slot in nicely in the #2 spot behind hronek.. he's going to be in the exact same situation in columbus.. the sedins and gonchar are dead set on the 4 forward 1 defenceman set even if we have a better option in hronek on the point blasting pucks than suter on the top pp unit jiricek will not even a sniff on pp2.. honestly as great as the sedins were.. you can see the current powerplay is very reminiscent of the sedins pp back in the days.. slow passing very limited movement always looking for the perfect pass instead of like the other top powerplays in the league.. quick movement.. see a lane open? blast.. they tend to forget.. there's no sedin twins on the pp.. not everyone can do what they do lol...

if they are going to move jiricek or johnson.. it'll take nothing less than a willander or a lekkerimaki as a starting point... i don't mind it as jiricek or johnson or both nhl ready.. lekkerimaki is prolly still another year away and willander 2-3 at least.. but jiricek won't be happy here either if they don't even give him a chance on the PP which is what will happen unless he somehow climbs ahead of hronek on pp2

first, I wonder why coaches on the Canucks aren't wanting to move the puck faster around, like the top pp's in the league? why the slow movement? 

second, I think if the Canucks give up a ton to acquire Jiricek, then Hronek probably on the way out, especially if his contract demands are off the charts. Can you try to recoup some assets that you lose in the trade for Jiricek with Hronek? With that being said, I don't think the kid's coming here. Pipe dream at best. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

first, I wonder why coaches on the Canucks aren't wanting to move the puck faster around, like the top pp's in the league? why the slow movement? 

second, I think if the Canucks give up a ton to acquire Jiricek, then Hronek probably on the way out, especially if his contract demands are off the charts. Can you try to recoup some assets that you lose in the trade for Jiricek with Hronek? With that being said, I don't think the kid's coming here. Pipe dream at best. 

because it's the sedins coaching the powerplay lol do you ever recall a quick pace pp with the sedins ever? they are some of the most boring powerplay ever.. it works.. but boring as hell.. and not everyone can play that way. 

if they are going to move hronek because of contract.. they are going to want someone further along than jiricek.. if the islanders miss the playoff this year.. i check in on dobson if he's availble or not.. gladly give them hronek+++

12 hours ago, tas said:

because I've yet to see a case in my decades of following the sport where the team says the player hasn't been good enough, the player petulantly responds "nuh uh!" , and it turns out it was the team that was wrong. 

Ken Hitchcock and Brett Hull had an ongoing feud back in the day. I remember Hull criticizing Hitch because they had a drill where the players were instructed to shoot the puck wide of the net.

Hull said wtf? You’re never going to score goals that way. So Hull did it his way and had a HOF career