[Speculation] Jiricek unhappy in Columbus

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How's PLD doing in LA anyways?   CLB just doesn't make a lot of sense as a place for a hockey team.    Rick Nash made it work for awhile.   2 decades before a playoff game probably has something to do with it.    Bloated league.     They are the WNP of the US hockey world.   As in the least desirable city.   

After hearing the whole “phone fiasco” that got Babcock fired it made me think their room was going to be split. There would be older guys who earn ice time by playing the right way. And then younger entitled guys who will whine publicly if they don’t get what they want. 
We don’t want that kind of baby whiner attitude here. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

After hearing the whole “phone fiasco” that got Babcock fired it made me think their room was going to be split. There would be older guys who earn ice time by playing the right way. And then younger entitled guys who will whine publicly if they don’t get what they want. 
We don’t want that kind of baby whiner attitude here. 

Yes.   Johnny Hockey and their leadership group didn't have a problem.    Not sure what really happened either.    They likely dodged a bullet. 

• ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jenner for sure. No to juricek. Don’t want entitled baby whiners here. 

fair enough, do not want to ruin chemistry, tbh, CBJ is a mess, needs a new GM and front office they have a lot of underperforming young players that have not been developed properly 

3 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

fair enough, do not want to ruin chemistry, tbh, CBJ is a mess, needs a new GM and front office they have a lot of underperforming young players that have not been developed properly 

Yes, CBJ needs new leadership. But their young players need to keep their mouths shut about ice time and such. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tas said:

and hull was a lazy, out of shape floater and hitch coached the stars to a cup. 

Sure thing. 741 goals, 1,300+ points, 2 cups, 19 seasons in the NHL. 

Hart Trophy. One on the top 100 players in league history.  
But Hitchcock and one Cup? Hull did that and much more.

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

nobody said hull couldn't score.

edit: from the mouth of the man himself:

And yet, the surprised Hull said: “I’m not that good a player.”

Modest and unassuming despite a contract that will pay him $7.1 million over four seasons, the blond, blue-eyed Hull still describes himself as “lazy” and “chubby.”

So, how is it that he is such a prodigious scorer?

“I shoot the puck well,” he said. “I get it away quickly and I don’t aim. I know where it’s going--I shoot to an area. If the goalie’s saving them in practice, I don’t care because I know if I hit the same spot in a game, the goalie’s going to be worried about too many other things to even see it. . . .

“I’m hard to check because I never have the puck. I let everyone else do the work while I get into the openings, into the slots. It’s an instinctive game, and I just go on my instincts. I don’t plan what I’m going to do each shift. It’s a game that happens so fast, you just can’t do that.”

Edited by tas

5 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Brett Hull was like OV. Great scorer. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

nobody said hull couldn't score. 

Out of shape floaters don’t last 19 years in the league, let alone score 1,300 points. My original point was that Hull publicly feuded with Hitchcock. The inference being that some players who do that, turn out to be great players. 

You don’t like the player. You’re entitled to your opinion. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

Out of shape floaters don’t last 19 years in the league, let alone score 1,300 points. My original point was that Hull publicly feuded with Hitchcock. The inference being that some players who do that, turn out to be great players. 

You don’t like the player. You’re entitled to your opinion. 

go read my edit. brett hull himself disagrees with you. 

7 minutes ago, tas said:

go read my edit. brett hull himself disagrees with you. 

Not going back to dig through your edits. It’s not that important to me to be right. I told my story, expressed my opinion, and I stand by it. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

How's PLD doing in LA anyways?   CLB just doesn't make a lot of sense as a place for a hockey team.    Rick Nash made it work for awhile.   2 decades before a playoff game probably has something to do with it.    Bloated league.     They are the WNP of the US hockey world.   As in the least desirable city.   The fans in WNP make it a great hockey town though.     CLB fires a cannon and has some gimmicks.      They've got one big series win with Torts at the helm, and Bobrovsky.      That's nuts given how many years they've existed.     Some places (CLB and ARI) hockey just doesn't belong.   And at least PHX had some good teams.    Laine.   Yikes.  It's still not working over there.    

PLD at $8.5M only has 20pts (10g 10a).  He’s still continuing his lazy “one zone” play and it’s getting tiring.

Canucks dodged a bullet and should thank CBJ for drafting PLD.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yes, CBJ needs new leadership. But their young players need to keep their mouths shut about ice time and such. 

Dont fully agree with this Alf. 
If you are lined up and working your ass off to be a top player, but are getting held back due to OBVIOUS poor management and coaching…… it’s fair to say something. 
These kids careers are short and he is getting screwed out of a chance to make millions.  
He is better than most the players they are icing.  
Instead of getting his chance to prove that, put up numbers and earn a solid next contract, he is getting held back in the AHL even though he is ready and better than half his teams d line. 

The kid has every right to be pissed. 
His career is getting fucked due to management incompetence 

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

PLD at $8.5M only has 20pts (10g 10a).  He’s still continuing his lazy “one zone” play and it’s getting tiring.

Canucks dodged a bullet and should thank CBJ for drafting PLD.

wow, we were just doomed that draft. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Not going back to dig through your edits. It’s not that important to me to be right. I told my story, expressed my opinion, and I stand by it. 

🤣

harumph! 😤 I'm going to take my ball and go home!

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

wow, we were just doomed that draft. 

Busteroo banzai Juolevi, lazy PLD or “trade me” Tkachuk.

Then you’ve got Laine and Puljujarvi at the top of that draft, too.

Tons of talent, but what a weird group.

Edited by The Duke

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Busteroo banzai Juolevi, lazy PLD or “trade me” Tkachuk.

Then you’ve got Laine and Puljujarvi at the top of that draft, too.

Tons of talent, but what a weird group.

yep. Picking OJ was stil a dumb move even if it was assured we'd lose Tkatchup. Lazy Laine would have been awful. 

You'd have to think that Columbus would want Willander.. D for D. They have enough forwards that they may not have as much of a need for Lekkermaki. With that being said, it raises the question whether doing a Willander for Jiricek swap is worth it for us as it seems like a lateral move.

I'd probably ask for Jiricek + 2nd for Lekkermaki + Hunter B. I think that would be a competitive package.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep. Picking OJ was stil a dumb move even if it was assured we'd lose Tkatchup. Lazy Laine would have been awful. 

Oh for sure - or just stuck with D and go with Sergachev or McAvoy or even Chychrun as weird as his career has been as well. Can’t imagine being a Flames fan laughing that Tkachuk fell and now being saddled with Huberdeau.  What a letdown.

Alex Nylander a 8OA another bust.  McLeod(!) at 12. Jost and Bean at least in the NHL but you probably want more drafting top 10/15.

Then again Tage Thompson late in the 1st… and Frederic looking great for Boston lately.  Still.. lots of landmines in that draft. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

lol.  Keenan.   Makes sense that guy was a total asshole.    First strike, when Burke came in, was saying he had to protect Peter Zezel over Scott Walker.  Burke hated the idea but did it anyways.   Peter Zezel was a very good face off guy, but his best days were well behind him.   Not a good team building strategy at all.  Walker was a lot more than an "energy guy".   It was obvious. 

If this never happened, then the WCE had a 60 point gritty, no holds barred second liner.   What a terrible thing to do to that club.    No wonder Naslund wasn't happy.   That said, he stayed, he played with Messier, and like it or not, he's who he gives credit to when talking about "leadership".    Repeatedly gave him props, but that gets forgotten. 

Funny thing about this fanbase, is they hold onto the strangest things.   Like Sundin calming the Sedins down and saying "just play the post season like it's a regular season game" and somehow half a season of Sundin, gets legendary status.   Very little was said at the time, but it sticks.   Naslund said it frequently.    Like Kesler also became the player he was as a result which is complete BS.   Naslund didn't say it, it's like it never happened now.     Stuck it out with the most hated player in franchise history.    For 3 years, all the while giving him props. 

Edit: Last strike was a game Keenan pulled the goalie with half a period left.  Burke came down and told him, if he ever did that again he was done (actually threatened to beat the shit out of him).   Those two, didn't get along.   And rightly so.   Keenan's crap...Was worse than Messier's.   And both were bad.      All Messier had to do, was fall in line.   And use his "leadership" to get Bure signed.   If that happened, we might have won a cup.   Instead he imploded our team.    Or if instead of going after Gretzky, we just signed Ronning.    The search for a 2C, also would have been solved, if we kept Peca.    So much went wrong back then.  Ohlund, Aucoin and Hedican were the next wave of D's... maybe we needed a good back-up for McLean.   That's it. 

The dichotomy is Liden getting the boot, created the WCE era and the Sedin era.    It's still ugly, no matter how you slice it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

David Jiříček Seems Unhappy According To An Article From Aaron Portzline Of The Athletic

David Jiříček was a high draft pick for Columbus in 2022, but are the Jackets mismanaging him?
When David Jiříček was drafted in 2022 with the #6 overall pick, people everywhere in Columbus were excited. The future of the blueline was on the way for Columbus, especially when just six picks later they chose young defender Denton Mateychuk as well. Then after the 2023 draft, it all seemed to be falling into place. And then the 2023-24 season went off the rails, quickly. Now it seems if something can go wrong, it will, including the happiness and well-being of players. 

Yesterday, Aaron Portzline of The Athletic reported about the apparent "mishandling" of the young defenseman David Jiříček. 

In the article, Portzline says that both GM Jarmo Kekäläinen and Pascal Vincent do not believe he a top-6 defenseman on this Blue Jackets team, and that is the reason why he's been sent back to Cleveland, which is why he hadn't played an NHL game since January 9th. In a recent interview with an Edmonton radio station, Kekäläinen was quoted as saying, "I think that you never want to rush a defenseman in particular. That's probably the hardest position to play as a young man in the NHL, your mistakes get exposed right away, and your weaknesses. He earned his spot on our team. He's been back in Cleveland a couple times this year because if he's not in the lineup, we want him playing."

It's clear from Jiříček's quotes in Portzline's article that he's not happy. Young players want to play and sometimes forget that they're playing in a grown man's league this is true, but does Jiříček have a beef? He's played in 36 games for the CBJ this season. He has 1 goal and 9 points. 

Jiříček Quotes

• “I played good hockey in the NHL." 
  • “I’m an NHL player right now. That’s my opinion, that I should be in the NHL right now."
  • “I see guys from the same draft, like Simon Nemec (in New Jersey) and (Kevin) Korchinski (in Chicago) … they get a chance on the power play. They play a ton of minutes in the NHL. Those are different teams, so different situations, but I can compare with them. I just want a chance to play like that.”
  • “They told me the last game was not good enough for me,” Jiricek said. “I told them I don’t think so, but that’s your opinion. I was out of the lineup after that. A whole month now, it feels like I haven’t played.”

Portzline also noted that there was concern Jiříček might skip out on reporting to Cleveland, which would've been a catastrophic event for this franchise. How could you mismanage a 20-year-old so badly that they get tired of the ups and downs to the minors and simply quit? Or is it immaturity with Jiříček with him expecting to play? Of course, he expecting to play, he's always one of the first defensemen called up if he's not here already. Oh, and there's the fact that the CBJ front office told him to get a place in Columbus since he was here to stay it seemed. 

While I understand that Columbus doesn't want to "ruin" David Jiříček by playing him against guys like Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews, you have to take the training wheels off at some point. This is a lost season and has been since it started. There is no reason not to play David Jiříček. Playing Andrew Peeke over him makes no sense. 

What the Jackets should do is play Jiříček in Columbus as much as they can, and then closer to when they need to start stacking Cleveland's deck for when they make their AHL playoff run, send him to Cleveland to play some meaningful games. But scratching him, at any time, should not be in the plan. 

One last quote from Portzline's article we'll leave you with from HC Pascal Vincent, 

“I get it. My daughter wants her own car. She’s 13 years old. It’s the Amazon effect. Everybody wants it now.”

Is David Jiříček being "mishandled" this season? The answer is yes. 

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/columbus-blue-jackets/david-jiříček-seems-unhappy-according-to-an-article-from-aaron-portzline-of-the-athletic

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

I do think Jiricek has a case to make internally with his team. He is better than several of their D. That said loose lips sink ships shut your mouth and let your play do the talking. I can't see JR/PA taking any interest. He would surely be in the AHL here.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2