Contract dilemma this summer

CanuckMan

On 2/9/2024 at 11:28 AM, PureQuickness said:

Call me crazy but Myers can stay at a more reasonable price. He clearly loves it here and he's improving as a player.

You're not crazy.  On a game like today where we were down a couple of D at one point, he stepped up.  I've never disliked Myers on this team.....only his contract.  If he wants >$3M/yr, I think he has to walk though.

People keep thinking Cole will leave.  Dang, am I the only one who likes Cole?  This team lacked toughness for so many years and he's exactly the kind of toughness we need.  I loved how he looked so calm in a compromised start to the scrap today....then found the opportunity to get in the inside and start working the guy over.  This is just a side note to his hits and presence in front of the net.  Looking at his stats, he's barely had a year on the negative side of the +/- stat throughout his career.  I'm hoping he sticks around.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/28/2024 at 11:06 PM, CanuckMan said:

This summer looks to be one of the busiest this off season for our front office. 
Our RFA:

*Pettersson
*Hronek

Our UFA: 

*Joshua

*Bluegar

*Lafferty

*Myers

*Zadorav

*Cole

*Desmith 

Lots of key pieces at every position. 
Players that I think will be poached by other teams include Joshua, Bluegar, Zadorav, Desmith due to their play this season and they’re looking at raises which we may not have money to retain all of them. I think we re-sign at least 2 of these 4. 

I think the Canucks are unlikely to sign Lafferty, Myers, Cole.

Is anyone else concerned with the number of key UFA/RFA we have? We’ve been awfully quiet in getting contracts signed and the more the season plays on the more some of these players are playing themselves out of our price range. What do you think the hold up is? Front office waiting for the big domino’s in Petey and Hronek to fall first or is the front office waiting to see how this team does till the end of the season/playoffs? 

My guess is Mgmt works to retain:

Our RFA:

*Pettersson
*Hronek

Our UFA: 

*Lindholm

*Lafferty

*Cole

*Desmith 

Likely priced out on the others

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

My guess is Mgmt works to retain:

Our RFA:

*Pettersson
*Hronek

Our UFA: 

*Lindholm

*Lafferty

*Cole

*Desmith 

Likely priced out on the others

I agree, although I would think they'll put Joshua ahead of Lafferty and I wouldn't be surprised if Myers takes a home discount to stay here.

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I agree, although I would think they'll put Joshua ahead of Lafferty and I wouldn't be surprised if Myers takes a home discount to stay here.

Definitely not opposed to any of the UFAs on the list, more about cost vs benefit (i.e. can they afford them on the open market). On board of they can get some guys on home town discounts!!