Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

Jess

27 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Who's your #1 so far? Kopitar or Barkov?

Nah, William Karlsson. Very underrated defensively. Barkov and Kopitar do show up pretty high, but not that high just yet.

• Cheers 1

Time to hold Pettersson accountable now.

You benched Miller, scratched Kuzmenko - now hold your arguably best forward accountable too.

Its not only the lack of offensive production and threat generation, but his defensive game and puck management this month has dropped off a cliff. I dont care if he is your best forward or our team's star, he hasn't been good enough. I dont care if he is injured or not. He is healthy enough to dress and play significant minutes on a game to game basis. He needs to be far more responsible as a player than he has been in the last couple of weeks.

If you're hurt, fall back on skating hard, smart puck management plays, and playing well defensively. Simply not good enough.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Time to hold Pettersson accountable now.

You benched Miller, scratched Kuzmenko - now hold your arguably best forward accountable too.

Its not only the lack of offensive production and threat generation, but his defensive game and puck management this month has dropped off a cliff. I dont care if he is your best forward or our team's star, he hasn't been good enough. I dont care if he is injured or not. He is healthy enough to dress and play significant minutes on a game to game basis. He needs to be far more responsible as a player than he has been in the last couple of weeks.

If you're hurt, fall back on skating hard, smart puck management plays, and playing well defensively. Simply not good enough.

Didn't watch this game, so maybe he was bad tonight, but I watched last game and thought his defensive game was still stellar. I haven't noticed a drop off defensively, personally.

The team is at its best when their best players are at their best. At the start of the year all of Hughes, Petterson, Miller, Boeser, Demko were all playing at their best. Lately, we have seen a big drop of play in Pettersson. I am not sure if this is a result of an injury or he is in a slump. But until Pettersson is out of this, we won't be the dominant team we showed earlier on in the season.

I hope Pettersson figures this out sooner rather than later.

Pettersson's career has been marked by stretches of poor play. Maybe this stretch is getting more attention because of the ongoing contract negotiations, but let's all not treat this as some kind of extraordinary slump. This is well within his norm and needs to be accounted for in his valuation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

if slumps are within his norm then hotstreaks should also be accounted for....all in all hes currently in a slump but still doin a decent Defensive job and if his linemates gets some more confidence im sure he will go on another hotstreak again. its a long season and we are only a quarter through...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

if slumps are within his norm then hotstreaks should also be accounted for....all in all hes currently in a slump but still doin a decent Defensive job and if his linemates gets some more confidence im sure he will go on another hotstreak again. its a long season and we are only a quarter through...

I absolutely agree that hot streaks should be accounted for. The peaks and valleys average out to him being about a ppg player over his career. I think an 11+ million valuation ignores his slumps, though. 

I don't think he's been awful defensively over the past few weeks but I'm not sure he's been decent either.

As you say, it's a long season, but I think there is sufficient evidence over the course of his career so far to suggest that the quality of his play vacillates greatly, and that prolonged periods of poor play are a regular occurrence. I would think this puts his value comfortably below 11m.

A 11+ player sustains an elite level over multiple seasons, and Pettersson has shown very little evidence of that ability.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2023 at 6:20 PM, 43isprime said:

Pettersson's career has been marked by stretches of poor play. Maybe this stretch is getting more attention because of the ongoing contract negotiations, but let's all not treat this as some kind of extraordinary slump. This is well within his norm and needs to be accounted for in his valuation.

His 'poor' play has always been related to injuries he has sustained.

Do some research.

On 12/3/2023 at 2:26 AM, 43isprime said:

I absolutely agree that hot streaks should be accounted for. The peaks and valleys average out to him being about a ppg player over his career. I think an 11+ million valuation ignores his slumps, though. 

I don't think he's been awful defensively over the past few weeks but I'm not sure he's been decent either.

As you say, it's a long season, but I think there is sufficient evidence over the course of his career so far to suggest that the quality of his play vacillates greatly, and that prolonged periods of poor play are a regular occurrence. I would think this puts his value comfortably below 11m.

A 11+ player sustains an elite level over multiple seasons, and Pettersson has shown very little evidence of that ability.

Maybe you can define “elite level”?

On 12/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, 43isprime said:

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got it figured out… Petey obviously has the IQ and skills of an elite NHL player. We all know that. Petey needs to-not put on muscle as much as build up his core and work on his balance . If he could spend more time on his feet he definitely put’s himself in the elite category without a But /Or attached to said statement.

Edited by dannydog

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/elias-pettersson-canucks-blackhawks-rumour

This sounds ridiculous: Petey going to Chicago to join Bedard. Not exactly playing for a winning team.

sure but if bedard continues his path.. chicago won't have issue luring in ufas + whatever they got in their system. they have 5 1st rounders and 4 2nd rounders the last couple years not including bedard.. and with loads of cap space and still have jones they might be better sooner than later.

8 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/elias-pettersson-canucks-blackhawks-rumour

This sounds ridiculous: Petey going to Chicago to join Bedard. Not exactly playing for a winning team.

Chicago has the Bedard effect. Connor's going to be unreal next year. He's on pace for what? Just under 80 points, and he's 18 years old. Killing the league as a teenager. Fuck us. 

Who wouldn't want to be playing with him? 

With that being said. This rumor is bullshit. Need to kill it, and Petey can do that by signing the contract. It should be close right? 

Connor's first season already going to be better than Petey's first season. The kid's already going to have his jersey retired there, I can see it now...

Edited by N4ZZY

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure but if bedard continues his path.. chicago won't have issue luring in ufas + whatever they got in their system. they have 5 1st rounders and 4 2nd rounders the last couple years not including bedard.. and with loads of cap space and still have jones they might be better sooner than later.

They may even be better than us down the road. How many years until OEL is off the books? By that time, Connor will have had, what? Several seasons under his belt. He's going to be destroying the rest of the league by that point. 

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Pettersson's 3 point effort moves him into 18th in all-time Canuck scoring.

image.png.6a5ca818abfa8cab2cf54e25f7543641.png

Crazy to look at all those names above him shown there and realize he'll probably pass all of them this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Crazy to look at all those names above him shown there and realize he'll probably pass all of them this year.

If they tie him down to an 8 year extension, he'll top the list before the end of his contract, baring any injuries...

Crazy to think Petey is being discussed regularly as for his value...

• Cheers 1

On 12/3/2023 at 1:26 AM, 43isprime said:

Hmmm....

It would be the same as saying McD isn't worth his contract as he had down turns during the season...

As for sustaining an elite level over multiple seasons, he did it last year and this year and in parts the seasons before...

A what age do you expect him to sustain elite level playing? Petey is 25 years old, and just entering his prime... The reason you pay him well, is you get him at his entire prime. He'll have all the forward records by the end of his career, if he is extended long term.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

If they tie him down to an 8 year extension, he'll top the list before the end of his contract, baring any injuries...

Crazy to think Petey is being discussed regularly as for his value...

Funny enough, I wonder if Miller could also be near the top. If he stays the entire contract, there's a good chance Miller finishes with at least 800 points as a Canuck, beating out Nazzy and Linden. If Petey signed an 8-year deal now though, he'd be here two years after Miller's deal ended, so that might get him enough ahead to push quite a bit ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Funny enough, I wonder if Miller could also be near the top. If he stays the entire contract, there's a good chance Miller finishes with at least 800 points as a Canuck, beating out Nazzy and Linden. If Petey signed an 8-year deal now though, he'd be here two years after Miller's deal ended, so that might get him enough ahead to push quite a bit ahead.

Yeah it would be about right. I think Petey moving into his prime, there is nothing to suggest he won't impove his yearly output in the coming years. 
Miller is a magic case. As much as folks hate Benning and his dealings, he has to be hailed for aquiring him. 
During the games he is constantly coaching and leading from the front. A proper leader on the ice. I have nothing but amazed how much he has taken on the leadership role. If he continues to put up points like he has, he is likely to go past Linden and Nazzy. 
If they find a way to keep the lotto line together, I wouldn't be surprised to see both Peteys and Millers production improve even more. 
Its good times to be a Canucks fan. 

• Cheers 1