Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

Jess

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah no I don't think Guentzel would replace EP40 long term.  I'm thinking if EP40 was on LTIR and we added Guentzel, we probably would have still made the playoffs and then would have had that additional top 6 winger we really could have used in our run.

Oh, I see what you're getting at. I'm not sure why they didn't put EP on LTIR and I doubt will ever know.

If that did happen, you are right about acquiring Guentzel.  And they would have also been able to make

the Lindy trade.  Now we're talking! Kind of hurts thinking about what could have been...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Oh, I see what you're getting at. I'm not sure why they didn't put EP on LTIR and I doubt will ever know.

If that did happen, you are right about acquiring Guentzel.  And they would have also been able to make

the Lindy trade.  Now we're talking! Kind of hurts thinking about what could have been...

All good.  This group got some serious playoff experience.  It'll only make them stronger in the long run.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

All good.  This group got some serious playoff experience.  It'll only make them stronger in the long run.

Exactly! Excellent learning experience for the players and for the coaches and management. The players learn what it takes to win in the playoffs and will be better prepared. The coaches and management learned which players they have that are playoff guys and ones that aren’t. IMHAO guys like Hoglander and garlsnd will be traded this summer. 

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

because that's a stupid all in move... tendinitis recovery time is unknown in athlete to the point where they are 100% again.. it would be absolutely be stupid to go all in based off of 1 season with your starting goalie injured your star player injured your big acquisition injured and hope they'll all be magically 100% by playoff.. imagine the uproar this city will be if we ended up matching against say vegas in the 1st round and then get bounced trading away all possible asset.. and then watch guentzel and lindholm walk in free agency. we were never a realistic cup contenders.. going all in based on 1 season would have doomed our chances the next couple years coz what are we trading with? after emptying out all our draft picks and prospects.. and then lekkerimaki and willander suppose to be untradeable

Okay can someone give a plausible explanation for this whole knee injury thing?

At various points in the season/playoffs, Tocchet said things to the effect of:

- Pettersson has to move his feet more

- his play is sporadic 

- has to practice harder

- included him in a group of 5-6 players who have to get going

Nothing in Tocchet's usage of Pettersson in the second half of the season and playoffs would have suggested Pettersson was injured to the point of it significantly diminishing his ability to play.

He played Pettersson over 18mins (the most of any forward) in a meaningless game in 82 vs the Jets when some other core players didn't even make the trip.

I also don't recall Pettersson taking many maintenance days.

I can't imagine Tocchet trying to purposely throw Pettersson under the bus, so something really doesn't add up.

On 5/24/2024 at 6:52 PM, 43isprime said:

- his play is sporadic 

- has to practice harder

Nothing in Tocchet's usage of Pettersson in the second half of the season and playoffs would have suggested Pettersson was injured to the point of it significantly diminishing his ability to play.

He played Pettersson over 18mins (the most of any forward) in a meaningless game in 82 vs the Jets when some other core players didn't even make the trip.

I can't imagine Tocchet trying to purposely throw Pettersson under the bus, so something really doesn't add up.

Sorry, but Tocchet admitted in the Post Season Presser Pettersson had an injury... "...tendonitis... blah blah ...but we decided not to sit him....  blah, blah, Medical Staff, blah, blah..."

It's clear Tocchet has already thrown Pettersson under the bus.

Personally I think there is a personality conflict... I don't think Pettersson is Tocchet's style of player... I don't think he really understands his value or respects him... I have never heard anything like the level of praise from Tocchet for Pettersson that I have heard from Tocchet re. Miller... Miller is exactly Tocchet's style of player.

Tocchet needs to get his head out of his a$$ and accept that Pettersson is a key part of the team and adapt his coaching to that fact.  Either that or Pettersson should be traded ASAP... although I very much doubt the Canucks would get his value back if he is under this kind of cloud.

On 5/24/2024 at 6:52 PM, 43isprime said:

- his play is sporadic 

- has to practice harder

Tocchet is tough, really tough, and Petey is not. Two very different players, almost complete opposites I would think. Tocchet wants his players to play tough, be tough and win a championship. That's what it takes.

Petey is using a knee owey as an excuse for his poor play. Tocchet probably said "suck it up" and Petey went into sulk mode. If I were Petey, I'd take some of that $90 million the Canucks are going to give him, and hire a team of tough trainers to whip him into shape. 

13 hours ago, AlexanderM said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Petey's NTC doesn't kick in until the second year of his contract?? So they left the first year open just in case. Seems curious.

A NTC can only be used during the UFA years of a contract, which for EP, starts in the 2nd year of his contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Tocchet is tough, really tough, and Petey is not. Two very different players, almost complete opposites I would think. Tocchet wants his players to play tough, be tough and win a championship. That's what it takes.

Petey is using a knee owey as an excuse for his poor play. Tocchet probably said "suck it up" and Petey went into sulk mode. If I were Petey, I'd take some of that $90 million the Canucks are going to give him, and hire a team of tough trainers to whip him into shape. 

Healthy Petey is a 100 point Selke level elite 1C. JR knows we can’t win the Cup without Petey. 

• ThereItIs 1

21 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Sorry, but Tocchet admitted in the Post Season Presser Pettersson had an injury... "...tendonitis... blah blah ...but we decided not to sit him....  blah, blah, Medical Staff, blah, blah..."

It's clear Tocchet has already thrown Pettersson under the bus.

Personally I think there is a personality conflict... I don't think Pettersson is Tocchet's style of player... I don't think he really understands his value or respects him... I have never heard anything like the level of praise from Tocchet for Pettersson that I have heard from Tocchet re. Miller... Miller is exactly Tocchet's style of player.

Tocchet needs to get his head out of his a$$ and accept that Pettersson is a key part of the team and adapt his coaching to that fact.  Either that or Pettersson should be traded ASAP... although I very much doubt the Canucks would get his value back if he is under this kind of cloud.

Uh that might be because Pettersson hasn't played at a sufficient level consistently enough to warrant that praise.

You can't possibly be suggesting that Tocchet is trying to pick a fight with the player the team just signed to an 8x11.6 deal, or that Tocchet doesn't "understand" Pettersson's value.

Out of curiosity - how often has tendonitis been cited among the post-playoff injury disclosures? 

They usually include things like sprained this, broken or torn that, I don't recall tendonitis being among them. Happy to be proven wrong - I'm just curious.

Hard to imagine that tendonitis isn't a common problem among hockey players. I don't recall a player being put on injury reserve or scratched because of it. Again, I could be wrong.

9 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Out of curiosity - how often has tendonitis been cited among the post-playoff injury disclosures? 

They usually include things like sprained this, broken or torn that, I don't recall tendonitis being among them. Happy to be proven wrong - I'm just curious.

Hard to imagine that tendonitis isn't a common problem among hockey players. I don't recall a player being put on injury reserve or scratched because of it. Again, I could be wrong.

For a guy who's best athletic attribute is agility balky knee would be a problem 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

For a guy who's best athletic attribute is agility balky knee would be a problem 

Surely he's not the first agile guy with tendonitis issues in the playoffs.

I'd like to give Petey the benefit of the doubt, he was arguably the best player in the league in the first what...quarter of the season? Then a top-10 player by the All-star break which is no easy feat. Obviously he played like a 3rd liner after that and how much of that is injury or fatigue related is up in the air.

I think for 11M we should be getting a consistent 90+ point center. He's going to have to be our 2C next year and eventually our top line center with that cap hit. Miller isn't going to keep dropping 100pt seasons and might tail off sooner rather than later so Petey has to be better all season long. His playoff performance was obviously dreadful but so was Hughes' and Hronek's so you could argue they're just kids too compared to the more experienced guys.

We've got to stick with him. We're not trading Petey based on one bad playoffs after signing him to a franchise-defining contract. Management are going to try to work with him with our coaches and support him with wingers instead. 

JR knows to win a Cup requires key players: an elite goalie (Demko) and elite D man (Hughes) and an elite 1C (Petey) We need playing healthy and their best. 
A healthy Petey is key to us wining the Cup. 

• Cheers 1

Elias Pettersson's agent J.T. Barry weighed in on his client's confidence level and the knee issue he dealt with in the second half of the season.

Pettersson’s agent, J.P. Barry, noted his client was in a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation at last week’s Vancouver Canucks end-of-season media availability.

As is often the case in these press conferences, players were asked if they’d been dealing with any injuries in the playoffs or down the stretch to the playoffs. Often players do decide to reveal their issues, but other times they don’t.

There had been plenty of speculation through the second half of the regular season and in the playoffs that Pettersson was dealing with an injury. But while the games were going on, he wasn’t saying anything.

Rick Tocchet even took time to say that Pettersson wasn’t dealing with an injury. He just had to be better, the coach implied.

But then last week Pettersson copped to dealing with a minor knee issue, one he’d been dealing with since January.

Before the knee problem, he’d been flying high. He was the NHL’s third star of the month in January, even.

The injury slowed him, and he struggled to press through was Pettersson’s implication.

But he wasn’t looking to make an excuse, Barry told the Donnie and Dhali show on CHEK-TV on Wednesday morning.

“I thought he was in a pretty awkward spot,” Barry said about whether he should admit to the knee problem, which Tocchet admitted after Pettersson’s comment was tendinitis.

Pettersson knew himself that despite the injury, he could have played better, Barry added. There were moments of strong play, like winning the puck battles that led to Pius Suter’s series-clinching goal in Game 6 vs. Nashville, or the faceoff win that led to Brock Boeser’s game-tying goal in Game 4 vs. Edmonton.

But the overall was poor. He struggled with a lot of shots. He didn’t look confident making hard turns. There were a lot of puck battles he shied away from. His confidence looked weak.

“He was being honest: he wasn’t 100 per cent but I don’t think he was making any excuses,” the veteran agent explained.

“He feels he could have played better.”

Pettersson signed a massive contract extension in March, which loomed over his poor performance.

Pettersson has always played to win. Being a hockey player is all he’s ever wanted to be. Barry believes Petersson’s struggles weighed on him.

“I think any player, especially a high-end player like that, that has a tough time in the playoffs, it doesn’t help,” he said.

“He’s going to have to come back and fight this for the future.”  the end....

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2024 at 8:33 AM, Nucker67 said:

Your whole post is complete speculation and based on zero facts.

Pettersson has shown throughout his career that he is elite, and driven to excel.

He is an example of the top tier of professional athletes.

Players like that do not 'sulk' or tell lies about injuries.  They do not have that in their DNA or they would not have achieved their results and performance.

We have a bunch of probable fat couch potatoes sitting back in the comfort of their living room and spewing garbage... based on nothing.  They have no understanding of what is required to be a professional athlete.

• Cheers 1

On 5/28/2024 at 4:00 AM, 43isprime said:

What do you know?... Your constant complaining and belittling of Petey is getting extremely tiresome.....

We get it.. you think he is shit... here's news for you, personally I think your take on it is shit too... 

It has been shit since you started this, and it still is...

Canucks management, whom have been working with generational talents like Crosby, thinks he is an outstanding player and worth giving the contract, they gave him... but yet... you know better, and go on and on and on.... 

Who gives a fuck about, if he is the first, the last or the no. 1000 to have tendonitis issues in the playoffs... 

The boy was asked a question, if he had been playing injured, and he answered it...It was confirmed by management... End off...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/25/2024 at 1:37 AM, HKSR said:

Yeah no I don't think Guentzel would replace EP40 long term.  I'm thinking if EP40 was on LTIR and we added Guentzel, we probably would have still made the playoffs and then would have had that additional top 6 winger we really could have used in our run.

The Vegas model....

On 5/27/2024 at 8:00 PM, 43isprime said:

It’s simple to understand. JR has built three clubs into Cup winners. He knows that without a player of Petey’s calibre (healthy) at 1C it’s near to impossible to get the Cup. 
We lost in seven to the Coilers (with their stars all healthy) without our Vezina level goalie and our elite 1C playing on one leg. 
Accept that JR knows what he’s doing and that your thoughts on Petey are moranic. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s simple to understand. JR has built three clubs into Cup winners. He knows that without a player of Petey’s calibre (healthy) at 1C it’s near to impossible to get the Cup. 
We lost in seven to the Coilers (with their stars all healthy) without our Vezina level goalie and our elite 1C playing on one leg. 
Accept that JR knows what he’s doing and that your thoughts on Petey are moranic. 

I agree we would have won the series if we were healthier, but I don't think Edmonton's stars are healthy, especially not Drais.