Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

Jess

7 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I guess that management and coaches and team doctors all lied about Petey having tendinitis in his knee. Can't trust those guys; much better to believe idiot media clowns and their sycophants.

It’s not that they lied it’s just probably started out very minor and petey on contact year so he most likely hiding it as well. Probably got more and more painful by then it’s 3 month recovery which would have gone into playoffs.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Poler said:

It’s not that they lied it’s just probably started out very minor and petey on contact year so he most likely hiding it as well. Probably got more and more painful by then it’s 3 month recovery which would have gone into playoffs.

I'm talking about the scumbag media clowns that claimed it was just an excuse.

Does anyone know if Petey is in Sweden? I thought that's where he'd be. But when I drove in downtown to work this morning,  I saw a guy with a pale blue baseball cap, that looked an awful lot like Petey, at Drake and Seymour.

Maybe Petey is just being a style icon and people are copying his look.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Does anyone know if Petey is in Sweden? I thought that's where he'd be. But when I drove in downtown to work this morning,  I saw a guy with a pale blue baseball cap, that looked an awful lot like Petey, at Drake and Seymour.

Yeah that was me.  You didn’t even ask me for an autograph.  🤨

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah that was me.  You didn’t even ask me for an autograph.  🤨

Sorry buddy, I like giving celebrities privacy. They got enough on their plate.

Besides I was in my car and the light turned green for me to go.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes, he is in Sundsvall/Ånge.

He was live interviewed by a local radio July eight when he talked about that he arranged his own training camp with Ånge IK and everyone that would come.

He then takes his knowledge(his and his skating coach) and teach it to those who come.

EP40 Skills Camp and I read that in the article that is quoted by CanucksArmy

Edited by LillStrimma
  • Like 2

I’m really looking forward to next season with some more talent in our top 6. If luk or Will can step up and take roster spot it will be an exciting season for sure. 

I’m sure Petey next season will silence the doubters about his performance next year, he was on pace for 120 points half way through the season before he started getting knee issues.

i just wish they would distribute time on some of our star players so there not so banged up for the playoffs. Hughes was so banged up and demko can’t handle the amount of games he gets.

Interesting that it is being reported that Daniel Sprong and EP are good friends.  Watching the Canucks from behind their bench it is apparent that EP hasn't a lot of friends on the team. He sits by himself and doesn't really talk to anybody when he comes off the ice. He and Boeser are friends but no longer on the same line so they don't sit together.  He and Hoglander have some affinity but are not that close. They talk a little on the bench.

Perhaps the Sprong signing has something to do with correctlng Ep's malaise and making him a happier more productive player. 

We shall see. 

On 7/22/2024 at 9:43 PM, fanfor42 said:

Interesting that it is being reported that Daniel Sprong and EP are good friends.  Watching the Canucks from behind their bench it is apparent that EP hasn't a lot of friends on the team. He sits by himself and doesn't really talk to anybody when he comes off the ice. He and Boeser are friends but no longer on the same line so they don't sit together.  He and Hoglander have some affinity but are not that close. They talk a little on the bench.

Perhaps the Sprong signing has something to do with correctlng Ep's malaise and making him a happier more productive player. 

We shall see. 

Where does it say that Sprong and EP are friends? 

• 2 weeks later...

Despite a lacklustre playoff performance really taking the shine off the whole thing in retrospect, Elias Pettersson had a fine season. An outright good one, in fact.
By most reasonable standards, a year of 34 goals, 55 assists, and 89 points would be called a success. Heck, it was the 16th-most points in any one season by any one Vancouver Canuck ever.

So why do so many consider it to have been a disappointment?
Primarily because Pettersson is no longer performing against reasonable standards. He’s performing against the personal standards he’s already set early on in his career. Pettersson was disappointing in 2023/24, specifically, because everyone watching him knew darn well he could do better.
Flip it around, however, and it can become an expression of optimism. Pettersson notched 89 points last season, and it’s very apparent that he both could and should be doing more.

How much more? Pettersson’s own career benchmarks came a season ago, in 2022/23, as he notched 39 goals, 63 assists, and 102 points. Few would complain if Pettersson simply returned to that statistical ballpark.
But we believe he can do even better than that.
Last year, our intrepid leader David Quadrelli earned some flowers for predicting that Brock Boeser would finally crack through the 30-goal threshold. Boeser responded with 40 goals.
This year, we’re just cutting right through the middle-digits in predicting that Pettersson not only breaks the 40-goal mark in 2024/25, but sails past it all the way to 50 goals.
It’d be a momentous accomplishment, and not one we predict all that lightly. A 50-goal season would be the fifth-highest in franchise history, and the most by anyone not named Pavel Bure or Alex Mogilny. It’d be the most by a Canuck since Markus Naslund potted 48 in 2002/03. It’s a mark that has only been hit 13 times over the past five NHL seasons.

It’s also got to be said that DeBrusk is a quality playmaker in his own right, and excels at using possession to create space for linemates.
Another teammate who will factor in is Quinn Hughes. Last year, Pettersson was on the ice with Hughes for only about 45% of his even-strength ice-time, but Hughes’ presence made a collossal difference. While on the ice together, Pettersson and Hughes experienced 38 5v5 goals for and only 13 against. Without Hughes, Pettersson went 29-34.
Just being out there with Hughes more often would no doubt be worth a bushel of extra goals.
But if Pettersson is really going to hit the 50-goal mark, the primary reason for it won’t be someone else, it’ll be Pettersson himself.
This is fairly unique territory for him. Pettersson has always been a riser, a bit of an underdog. He soared up the rankings in his draft year. He ripped apart the SHL the year after, breaking records and silencing doubts. He outperformed all expectations as an NHL rookie, and it wasn’t long after that before he notched his first 100-point season.

It’s an exclusive club, and, yes, we still think Pettersson is going to join it.
We’ll get the caveats out of the way first. A 50-goal season is the kind of accomplishment that requires pretty much everything to go right in order for it to happen. Any significant injury or illness essentially scuttles the chances, and such things are impossible to predict.
But that possibility aside, a healthy Pettersson can absolutely do this.
On the one hand, Pettersson has had a bit of an up-and-down history of production. Over the past three years alone, he’s gone from 68 points to 102 and then back down to 89, and that’s having played at least 80 games in each season.
His goal-scoring, however, has been much more consistent. Over the past three seasons, it’s ranged from 32 to 39 to 34, and beyond the totals, the numbers are even more uniform. Pettersson’s goals-per-game have been, since his rookie year, at 0.39, 0.40, 0.38, 0.40, 0.49, and 0.41. The only real anomaly there is 2022/23’s 0.49 and the 39 goals that resulted.

Pettersson’s shooting percentage, something that can fluctuate year-to-year and drastically affect goal-totals, has also been spookily consistent. It started high at 19.4% in his rookie season, but has since ranged through 16.7%, 15.9%, 16.7%, 15.2%, and 16.4%.
It’s almost machine-like.
There are two ways of looking at this. It’d be perfectly reasonable to gaze over these numbers, and reckon that Pettersson is what he is, with what he is being a 0.40 goal-per-game player. No shame in that.
Or, one could take the view that we’re taking in this article, that being that Pettersson has established for himself a real high-bar of a baseline when it comes to goal-scoring, and that any significant step forward in that field immediately brings him into the highest NHL echelons.
AKA, the 50-goal club.
It’s certainly a pace he’s operated at for extended periods before. Most will remember that Pettersson started off 2023/24 at a torrid pace, notching 27 goals in 49 games prior to the All-Star Break. That’s a pace of 45 goals over a full 82-game schedule.

That run was capped off by a January 2024 in which Pettersson scored 14 goals in 13 games.
Here’s the thing. If you asked folks who watch him regularly which was the ‘real’ Elias Pettersson, they’d probably point to the red-hot version. That, again, is part of why people were so disappointed in him last season.
But it should make it all that much easier for him to just get back to it.
A key difference-maker will be a willingness to take more shots. His shot-totals dropped from 257 in 2022/23 to 207 last year, going a long way toward explaining the decline in goals.
An increase in the quality of his linemates will also be an important factor. Many have predicted that prospective linemate Jake DeBrusk is in line for a career-high in goals himself, and that could work in contrast to this prediction. Or, they could work in tangent. Having another high-volume shooter on the ice with him could actually really benefit Pettersson. Last season, it was apparent all too often that opponents had keyed in on Pettersson as the probable shooter on most plays, and were ruthless in eliminating his time and space. Their needing to also pay respect and attention to DeBrusk as a shooter at all times creates slack for Pettersson.

It’s also got to be said that DeBrusk is a quality playmaker in his own right, and excels at using possession to create space for linemates.
Another teammate who will factor in is Quinn Hughes. Last year, Pettersson was on the ice with Hughes for only about 45% of his even-strength ice-time, but Hughes’ presence made a collossal difference. While on the ice together, Pettersson and Hughes experienced 38 5v5 goals for and only 13 against. Without Hughes, Pettersson went 29-34.
Just being out there with Hughes more often would no doubt be worth a bushel of extra goals.
But if Pettersson is really going to hit the 50-goal mark, the primary reason for it won’t be someone else, it’ll be Pettersson himself.
This is fairly unique territory for him. Pettersson has always been a riser, a bit of an underdog. He soared up the rankings in his draft year. He ripped apart the SHL the year after, breaking records and silencing doubts. He outperformed all expectations as an NHL rookie, and it wasn’t long after that before he notched his first 100-point season.

This is really the first point in his hockey life that Pettersson could be considered a let down. And we can’t know for certain, but we have to assume that’s not something he enjoys. We’ve seen this player push himself to get better over an offseason before. We think it’s going to happen again. The contract is undoubtedly a factor now, but Pettersson really seems the type to use such factors to propel himself forward, as opposed to resting on his laurels.
And with so much of the disappointment last year focused on Pettersson’s shooting, we also have to assume that shooting is going to get a surplus of attention in his summer training.
Pettersson is 25 years old. He’ll turn 26 about a month into the season. He’s at the exact age that most NHLers hit their statistical peak, and he’s hitting that age with an abundance of personal motivation. And in a moment where the team around him is clearly on the rise. And at a time in which NHL offence, in general, is skyrocketing.

Petey's line mates consisted of 11 goal scorer Mikheyev, Kuzy (didn't show up to camp in game shape) who refused to go to the net, Lafferty, Beauviller, and Lindholm who played centre while Petey was in his wing (the experiment failed), and Hoglander.  Despite the revolving door of wingers he still managed to get 89 points.  I'm excited to see Petey finally play with consistent talented players.  DeBrusk has proven he can play with talent and he looks like he could be a perfect fit to compliment Petey's game.  DeBrusk is fearless, he will take the puck to the net.  I want to see this in the preseason.  DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki.   That has the makings of being a disgusting line.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1

I’m not convinced by the line mate excuse tbh. His new contract makes him one of the highest earners in the league, you simply have to be a line driver at that price. Zero excuses.

Petey’s got the regular season figured out, I’ve no doubt he’ll succeed there next season. My hope is that fans wait and see how he does in the playoffs, which is where (imo) his Achilles heel is. There’s no use in a player putting up a 100-point season if he flamingos the playoffs.

Edited by Guntrix
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Pettersson will be fine. I dont think we will see him live up to his contract this year, but in a few years he will be golden. Provided Canucks keep the current Core and dont lose the next core group (podz, hogs, willingar, Lekkermaki, slivos) we are in good shape

6 hours ago, Guntrix said:

I’m not convinced by the line mate excuse tbh. His new contract makes him one of the highest earners in the league, you simply have to be a line driver at that price. Zero excuses.

Petey’s got the regular season figured out, I’ve no doubt he’ll succeed there next season. My hope is that fans wait and see how he does in the playoffs, which is where (imo) his Achilles heel is. There’s no use in a player putting up a 100-point season if he flamingos the playoffs.

Reminder that in 2020, he scored 18 points in 17 games, when he wasn't injured. He was bad in these playoffs, with an injury, but good in 2020. I think the injury is the clear difference maker.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Very quiet on social media this offseason from Petey and really all the Canucks.

Good to see! Hopefully indicates they’re all hard at work training with less time for exotic trips and wakeboarding. 🤣

Edited by DeNiro

Theres a LOT higher expectations on EP40 this upcoming season. im more wondering how the pieces we got will fit in Allvins puzzle. i was thinking a top 6 scoring forward and we got sprong and Debrusk while loosing Lindholm. will see during preseason how things unfold. if theres an improvement it should be visible early on. if not then im worried abt next season. 

3 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Theres a LOT higher expectations on EP40 this upcoming season. im more wondering how the pieces we got will fit in Allvins puzzle. i was thinking a top 6 scoring forward and we got sprong and Debrusk while loosing Lindholm. will see during preseason how things unfold. if theres an improvement it should be visible early on. if not then im worried abt next season. 

I personally don't think Sprong will get substantial top 6 time. He has some offensive skill to play that role, but all indications say his defense is lacking so I'm not sure Tocchet will want to play him big minutes.