Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

Jess

On 4/4/2024 at 12:19 PM, HKSR said:

Technically... he's getting less than all of those guys... by several million.  He's still on his old contract of $7.35M.

Semantics. He is now an 11.6M dollar player.

My position was they should have waited until the end of playoffs. If Petey kills it in the playoffs and the nux go on a run he probably ends up at 11.6-12. There is part of me that wonders if Petey would be in this slump if we hadn't extended him yet, but we are where we are. His comps are Panarin, Pasta, Nylander.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Semantics. He is now an 11.6M dollar player.

My position was they should have waited until the end of playoffs. If Petey kills it in the playoffs and the nux go on a run he probably ends up at 11.6-12. There is part of me that wonders if Petey would be in this slump if we hadn't extended him yet, but we are where we are. His comps are Panarin, Pasta, Nylander.

How many Cup clubs has JR managed? He knows what clubs need to win. And he identified Miller and Petey as the centres he needs to win. He also dumperooed Horfat Wallet because he knew that was a guy teams lose with. 

• MillerTime 1

@Alflives not knocking JR's track record. The Bo trade was good and I am a fan of Petey; I want him to succeed.

@HKSR We all know he isn't a 7m player and he was due for a raise. He is outpacing 7M this year, no one is arguing that. But he just signed on for 11.6x8; he doesn't get a pass just because he makes 7 this year. Since signing that contract he has under performed which is why he is getting criticized. If he turns it on come playoff time I'll be as happy as any fan and this all becomes moot. But the fact of the matter is that we are in a fight for the division and he has been invisible in important games.

20 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

@Alflives not knocking JR's track record. The Bo trade was good and I am a fan of Petey; I want him to succeed.

@HKSR We all know he isn't a 7m player and he was due for a raise. He is outpacing 7M this year, no one is arguing that. But he just signed on for 11.6x8; he doesn't get a pass just because he makes 7 this year. Since signing that contract he has under performed which is why he is getting criticized. If he turns it on come playoff time I'll be as happy as any fan and this all becomes moot. But the fact of the matter is that we are in a fight for the division and he has been invisible in important games.

All I'm saying is that he is technically out performing what his cap impact is THIS season.  The fact he is making 7.35M this season means we are getting good value from his cap hit and had 4.25M left over to add to our lineup.  He doesn't need to play like a 100pt forward for us to have gotten good value out of his cap hit.  If he was a 100pt player right now it would just mean we are getting exceptional value (a la Quinn Hughes).  

Now if the argument was he isn't playing up to his 7.35M cap hit over the last 1/4 of this season, then you may have a case there as I believe he has been playing at a 65pt pace or something like that recently.

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

All I'm saying is that he is technically out performing what his cap impact is THIS season.  The fact he is making 7.35M this season means we are getting good value from his cap hit and had 4.25M left over to add to our lineup.  He doesn't need to play like a 100pt forward for us to have gotten good value out of his cap hit.  If he was a 100pt player right now it would just mean we are getting exceptional value (a la Quinn Hughes).  

Now if the argument was he isn't playing up to his 7.35M cap hit over the last 1/4 of this season, then you may have a case there as I believe he has been playing at a 65pt pace or something like that recently.

I just don't see how this year's AAV is relevant given he just signed 11.6x8. "He is outperforming his AAV over the full year" - OK cool, that doesn't help us when we are trying to secure the division and work towards this team doing well in the playoffs and he has unfortunately been invisible in several important games. 11.6 AAV players shouldn't be doing that. If it was 1 or 2 games then that's inconsequential, but it has been in the majority of games recently. The team needs Petey to step it up. And to your point, if he is under performing his 7.35M cap hit during the most important time of year (last 1/4 of the season), then that's concerning. That's all I'm saying. I hope he turns it around soon. Maybe tonight.

• Cheers 1

Missed it, I think, the other day, but Pettersson now 11th in all-time Canuck scoring.

10   Bo Horvat C 621 201 219 420
11   Elias Pettersson C 403 169 241 410
12   Alexander Edler D 925 99 310 409
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Missed it, I think, the other day, but Pettersson now 11th in all-time Canuck scoring.

10   Bo Horvat C 621 201 219 420
11   Elias Pettersson C 403 169 241 410
12   Alexander Edler D 925 99 310 409

I was hoping he would catch Horvat this season and there still is a chance if they go far in the playoffs but his production as of late has not been great.

22 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I was hoping he would catch Horvat this season and there still is a chance if they go far in the playoffs but his production as of late has not been great.

These stats are regular season only (as most career stats are), so a playoff run won't impact this. He's got 4 games left in the season and then that's it.

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

These stats are regular season only (as most career stats are), so a playoff run won't impact this. He's got 4 games left in the season and then that's it.

Thanks... I did not know that. Had not really given it much thought over the years. Guess we will have to wait till next year to see if he can catch Pavel Bure😎

• Cheers 1

IMHO, Petey is overthinking his game. He has shot windows, and there is a split second hesitation, which means he misses the window, and then tries for the pass. This can also be a feedback loop feeding on his confidence. He needs to get more of his shot mentality back, and just shoot without hesitation. He has done this most of his career. This is one of those simple,  but not easy, things to do.

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheech is astute as ever. He noticed DeSmith's mistakes, not staying between the posts, Juulsen letting their best scorer go free behind the net, who then scores. And EP's apparent own goal on us, so 40 did score, just on the wrong team.

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

Swedish hockey commentator (Erik Granqvist) said this weekend that Petey is playing injured. It sure looks like it, but I haven't heard it anywhere else. What have I missed?

All I can say is he better be playing injured.

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

His speed is down, his passing and handling is off. He must be injured. I'm hoping he can somehow be a factor but i think he's just going to try and tough it out. He's dead last in +\- with -3

7 hours ago, Bonkers said:

Swedish hockey commentator (Erik Granqvist) said this weekend that Petey is playing injured. It sure looks like it, but I haven't heard it anywhere else. What have I missed?

Of course Petey is playing through something. NHL teams and players don’t talk about that until their run is over. Then it is announced. No excuses while playing.  

17 hours ago, Bonkers said:

16 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

10 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

His speed is down, his passing and handling is off. He must be injured. I'm hoping he can somehow be a factor but i think he's just going to try and tough it out. He's dead last in +\- with -3

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Of course Petey is playing through something. NHL teams and players don’t talk about that until their run is over. Then it is announced. No excuses while playing.  

He didn't look injured to me during practice, when he was ripping one timers during 1-on-1 drill with him, not upper body anyway...if he is injured, maybe it's in his core (slight groin pull?)...maybe a hip flexor? he certainly isn't pivoting well....

But ultimately, it's (gotten) in his head, and he needs to pull out of it if we're going to do some damage in this year's run

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Last night's game:

Please give us EP40 back: Seriously, this isn’t funny anymore. Elias Pettersson had maybe one average game in Game 3, but Game 4 saw him go absolutely off the rails. Pettersson had the 5th worst CF% of any Canucks and the second-lowest xGF with 0.16. This is not the effort of a superstar, and the Swede looks completely out of answers at 5v5. He was stumbling, falling, unable to come up with the puck in battles, and just generally didn’t look good. It’s telling when even Ilya Mikheyev was posting better numbers and looking more effective.